2400G still worth it?

Quisling

n00b
Have a friend who is asking me to do a 90% websurfing/content viewing 10% light gaming (Rocket League/WoW/etc) build for as cheap as possible. If he'd asked me 6 months ago the 2400G would be a no brainer but with the drop in card prices not so sure....is that chip's value dead in the water now?

As long as you have enough ram to spare for graphics, it works great. If they are a light gamer, I'd go for it. Maybe pair it with a cheap sata m.2 and you could have a very clean build with very few wires inside the case. Besides, they could always buy a GPU down the road and stick it in if they really wanted / needed to.

Good deal. Small form factor is definitely a plus as he has a kid in college he wants to be able to take it with him easily to hook to hotel TVs and such. I've recommended just buying a low end gaming laptop but a previous bad experience with a gaming laptop years ago soured him on them.

The 2400g seems to be stuck at around $160 while all of the other cpus have dropped in price. I would say it is still a good deal if there is any possibility that he will add a dGPU in the future as it is a 4/8 CPU. I am running mine in a Silverstone mITX case, which is small than a home theater reciever.

Last edited:
The 2400g seems to be stuck at around $160 while all of the other cpus have dropped in price. I would say it is still a good deal if there is any possibility that he will add a dGPU in the future as it is a 4/8 CPU. I am running mine in a Silverstone mITX case, which is small than a home theater reciever.

I doubt he'll upgrade it down the road, to be honest. He tends to buy things and run them until they're totally non-functional. Only reason he's even really asking now is the old Phenom X3 system I put together for him years ago is so long in the tooth.

The 2400g is not cost efficiency but you can pretty much pick cheap GPU off Craigslist like 580 RX or GTX 1060 for under $200 and combines with 2600 and get a mid grade gaming computer.

Back