2400 Mobile Athlon ram questions,

AirBornX

Limp Gawd
What would be a cheap/inexpensive ram that would let me over clock my processor up to it's max capabilities?

I know I shouldn't skimp on RAM, but this comp's just for my dad and sis, and I don't want him to spend that much for it.

AirBornX said:
I know I shouldn't skimp on RAM, but this comp's just for my dad and sis.

Will they really push it enough to use the extra performance from overclocking it? They probably care more about stability/longevity than performance. Is there a reason they need you to push the processor?

Well, honestly, I'll be using this processor when I'm at my dads house, and it'll be paired up w/ a 9800 Pro, and when I play DOOM 3 and HL 2, I would want the speed. :)

So basically, I'm looking for the cheapest RAM that'll let me OC my processor still.

Do you have a specific goal in mind? Most any cheap pc3200 or 3500 ram should let you run 11x200, although probably not with good timings.

honestly man i wouldnt go cheap on teh ram if u want the speed that bad... good chips make a more likely stable system... dont want Doom3 or HL2 to freeze on yha cause u got skimpy on the memory

AirBornX said:
My goal would be 2.4-2.6.

Well, hopefully you get a good stepping and get lucky, not everyone is hitting 2.6 on air with the 2400M. If you want that kind of speed, you're going to want pretty good ram. Also, what MB are you going to be using?

Since you are thinking of getting a mobile CPU, you will of course have the option of changing the multiplier. This will allow you to get plane jane PC3200 ( I like KingMax for the price ) and still overclock. This of course depends on the motherboard being able to change the multiplier. Just thought I would remind you of this. :)

good luck with your axp-m, the one i just got from newegg wont even do 2.4. just fyi.

Since you are thinking of getting a mobile CPU, you will of course have the option of changing the multiplier. This will allow you to get plane jane PC3200 ( I like KingMax for the price ) and still overclock. This of course depends on the motherboard being able to change the multiplier. Just thought I would remind you of this.

Would a NF7-M be able to do that?

No clue, I have never used one. Maybe you should go to Abits web page and find out.

Get some name brand memory. Kingston, Kingmax, Muskin, Corsar and Crucial are all good brands.

AirBornX said:
NF7-S.

I'm thinking of getting Kreton 3500 Blitz Ram.

Same setup as me. I am happy with the Kreton. Does 2-3-2-7 at 200mhz with no bump in VDIMM. Wish they would get more 512 MB sticks in, I have been waiting since I bought my first stick like 3 months ago. At least its back on the site with a date of June 3 (will believe that when I see it).
I think you could hit 2.4 if you're lucky. I can only hit 2.3. Right now im running 11x200 at 1.6 VCore because right now I don't have a vid card that can even push the proc at that.

Geil....I swapped out 512MB Kingston HyperX with 1GB of Geil and am running it at a the same timings as before (2-3-3-6) and runs great. Each stick of 512-Geil ran about $95 If you want 2 sticks of 256 i think they are about $50 each, dont quote me but the price should hover around that. Enjoy.

nf7 can't do high enough multipliers above 13x I believe.

you need a dfi infinity like i got.

but some good pc3200 will do 200-210mhz at 2.0 - 2.5cas
thats all you need

Unoid said:
nf7 can't do high enough multipliers above 13x I believe.

you need a dfi infinity like i got.

but some good pc3200 will do 200-210mhz at 2.0 - 2.5cas
thats all you need
what are you talking about, NF7-S here and it works with mults up to 22x. I know because I tested it at 2.4GHz with some crap PC2100.

If you want 2.6-2.7 you best not place your bets on a 2400+M

a 2600+M is a much safer bet. $20 worth it in my humble opinion.

NF7-S will gracefully handle the chip pretty much as high as it will go, with no stability or bios issues. Make sure you have one kickass power supply to go with it.

Do not ever ever ever skimp out on ram.

my 2400-M doesn't do 2.4 w/o ~1.85v so I have it backed down some for the hot summer months. :D The multipliers on the nf7-s go 0.5 increments up to 13, then it's 1x increments. Also 175MHz is missing from the FSB settings. :confused:

Don't ever, EVER skimp on ram quality if you plan on overclocking. The "safest" bet is to get ram that is better than what you need and underclock it with tighter settings. This is tough/expensive/impossible w/ bleeding edge but for a 2400XP-M you should be able to do it.

accidentalsuccess said:
my 2400-M doesn't do 2.4 w/o ~1.85v so I have it backed down some for the hot summer months. :D The multipliers on the nf7-s go 0.5 increments up to 13, then it's 1x increments. Also 175MHz is missing from the FSB settings. :confused:
yeah, but you should be running at 200+ FSB anyway ;)

unfortunately I have only 2700 ram, since it is left over from my previous proc. I run it at 195 w/ 2.5-3-3-11. Not great, but I am at this overclock 'cause I am being overly cautious. . .I'm not so rich right now and rule #1 is don't push your OC if you can't replace something you fry. We've all broken it, though. ;)

Back