24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

yes, loooong time ago indeed, seems proper adapters are getting harder to get

Vention replied, as for about CGMHA availability, they answer was that "they dont have stock now" nothing more
as for if they can sell the CMFHB which is the new HDMI 2.0+VGA model with the new Lontium chipsetm their answer is: "Sorry for replying late.The chip of this hub is LT8712X.And the HDMI port support 2.0.But we have no stock of it now".
also they left a link to their store in aliexpress https://vention.aliexpress.com/store/536610?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000061.1.5cf87760d7dWZi

man i just bought one like a yearish ago. is Delock 87685 around in the US?

edit hhmmm, https://www.grooves-inc.com/delock-...plitter-switches-delock-pZZa1-2097988797.html

also anything good for secondary 4:3 monitors?

Last edited:
dont know about 87685 in the US, a quick search on sites like amazon and ebay, does not show any results, the equivalent DPU3000 seems to be listed in ebay but from someone in australia, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunix-Tiny...795772?hash=item2ac13f93fc:g:cEwAAOSwOnJcOFgo and who knows if he ships to the US.

in case your card has USB C, someone in the CRT collective group in facebook said he is using a plugable USB C to VGA adapter for his secondary monitor, maybe he is using the same adapter Derupter mentioned and linked sometime ago and seems to be still available, if not, maybe the BENFEI adapter also mentioned and available may work?

If your RTX card has a USB-C output and you don't need more than 1920x1200 96 Hz you can buy on the USA market these adapters:

Plugable USBC-VGA Amazon product ASIN B015X0CV1Ctested by other users with a pixel clock of 330-335 MHz

Sunix C2VC7A0 Amazon product ASIN B015GE882Qnobody tested it but Sunix says that it has ANX9847 chipset

So both are USB-C to VGA with Analogix ANX9847 chipset (unless they changed it recently)

If your card can't output to USB-C the only solutions on USA market are:
Sunix DPU3000
Benfei HDMI to VGA Amazon product ASIN B01KLKQN9UThis has been tested by CommandoSnake up to 1920x1200 95 Hz,for that price it's very interesting,the only problem is that it need to be set to YCbCr instead RGB,i don't know if that can cause problem with some configurations

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
yes, loooong time ago indeed, seems proper adapters are getting harder to get

Vention replied, as for about CGMHA availability, they answer was that "they dont have stock now" nothing more
as for if they can sell the CMFHB which is the new HDMI 2.0+VGA model with the new Lontium chipsetm their answer is: "Sorry for replying late.The chip of this hub is LT8712X.And the HDMI port support 2.0.But we have no stock of it now".
also they left a link to their store in aliexpress https://vention.aliexpress.com/store/536610?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000061.1.5cf87760d7dWZi

Well, "no stock now" is definitely better than "we don't produce it anymore"

Last edited:
Reactions: 3dfan
like this
Hi there all,

So I managed to buy a completely new FW900. Unfortunately something failed after the first 10 minutes of run and I have no idea whether it is a capacitor-problem or something else. This had been sitting 19 years and 6 months in the box. In case someone nearby is willing to fix this, just write me. I am located in Magdeburg, Germany, but the next couple of days in Köln with the unit.

best,

I am curious to know if you were able to get it properly diagnosed and even fixed...

Please let us know...

Sinccerely,

Unkle Vito!

How important is the quality of the DP-MiniDP cable going into the Sunix/Delock adapters (the ones that have been discussed at length over the past years)? I have been having som weird issues at resolution 2304x1440x60Hz, where the left and right borders get messed up, could this be because of a poor DP-MiniDP cable or is this the adapter itself?

I am using a cheap 5 metre DP-MiniDP cable (I think it's only rated at 5 gbit/s) and am thinking about buying a more expensive one (rated at around 10 gbit/s). Would this make a difference?

almost all sunix dpu3000 and delock equivalent users seem to have weird issues at certain resolutions and refreshes, some claim to fix similar issues when using refreshes ending in 5 (85hz as example) which seem more likely those adapter flaws that wiring issue. try other resolutions and refresh rates convinations to see if those issue dissapear, i higly recommend to seach this topic about that, search words like "sunix", "delock", "dpu3000" for more info about it.

Last edited:
DPU3000 issues with certain display modes suggest poor clock control which suggests this adapter wont give the best picture quality even in modes it does not show obvious issues and/or it might require a lot of tinkering with display modes to get it just right on sweet clock spot. This is however just an assumption on my part because I have not used this adapter personally.

I use Delock 62967 and for what it is it works fine up to 340 or so MHz pixel clock without clock issues. Picture quality is ok, only slightly worse than native VGA output from AMD/NV cards I used before. Imho good adapter if you do not care about anything more than 1920x1200@97Hz like me.

Ok thanks for your answers.

Any tips on setting up custom resolutions with Nvidia cards? The built-in Nvidia Control Panel is terrible. It constantly forgets resolutions and is very buggy.

Last edited:
I have been having som weird issues at resolution 2304x1440x60Hz, where the left and right borders get messed up, could this be because of a poor DP-MiniDP cable or is this the adapter itself

That is a problem with the Sunix itself. It cant' display 2048 horizontal pixels at all and ass you go above that, it starts to work better, but not useable until you hit 2304 or 2400 pixels. 2304x1728 @ 75hz works fine for me, so maybe for 60hz, you could try adding more lines to the front and back porch to increase the pixel clock, to get it farther away from that 2048x1536 pixel count.

I recently got a FW900. You always hear about the FBT going pop so I thought I should probably find a replacement if the inevitable happens.
As many others found out it is practically impossible to source a new FBT for the FW900. So I did some digging and found out, that the FBT of a BVM-A32 is very similar or even exactly the same.

There was one listing for a brand new FBT from a A32. I bit the bullet and ordered it.

It arrived yesterday and here you can see the result:
2020-02-18 18.30.40.jpg

Left: A32
Right: FW900

They are practically identical. The only difference I can see is the length of the HV cable as the FBT from the A32 has a longer cable. That's it. I haven't tested it yet as my current FBT still works. But I thought I let you guys know.

It's this FBT: https://encompass.com/item/6596153/Sony/1-453-477-11/

I recently got a FW900. You always hear about the FBT going pop so I thought I should probably find a replacement if the inevitable happens.
As many others found out it is practically impossible to source a new FBT for the FW900. So I did some digging and found out, that the FBT of a BVM-A32 is very similar or even exactly the same.

There was one listing for a brand new FBT from a A32. I bit the bullet and ordered it.

View attachment 224487

They are practically identical. The only difference I can see is the length of the HV cable as the FBT from the A32 has a longer cable. That's it. I haven't tested it yet as my current FBT still works. But I thought I let you guys know.

I hope you realize if you ever replace the FW900's FBT with this one you'll be taking a huge risk. Unless you got the datasheet of both FBTs and could compare their specifications, there's no way you can say one could replace another. The physical appearance doesn't mean anything, you'll find out every FBT in every Sony trinitron computer monitor and maybe even TVs look exactly like this. Yet every model has a specific serial for its FBT, and certainly unique specifications.

I hope you realize if you ever replace the FW900's FBT with this one you'll be taking a huge risk. Unless you got the datasheet of both FBTs and could compare their specifications, there's no way you can say one could replace another. The physical appearance doesn't mean anything, you'll find out every FBT in every Sony trinitron computer monitor and maybe even TVs look exactly like this. Yet every model has a specific serial for its FBT, and certainly unique specifications.

I know that I'm taking a risk. It is impossible to get the datasheets for the FBTs. That's a risk I'm willing to take.

But I'm not only going about looks of the FBTs. If you go to the website of HR Diemen (a popular 3rd party manufacturer of FBTs) you can search for FBT replacements. They list the same FBT replacement for the FW900 and A32.

http://www.hrdiemen.com/reparation/flyback/model/46818

I know that I'm taking a risk. It is impossible to get the datasheets for the FBTs. That's a risk I'm willing to take.

But I'm not only going about looks of the FBTs. If you go to the website of HR Diemen (a popular 3rd party manufacturer of FBTs) you can search for FBT replacements. They list the same FBT replacement for the FW900 and A32.

That may simply be a mistake, it's not like that listing is giving much informations apart from sticking a couple of names together.

I did some research and I found someone else already gave you an answer that makes a lot of sense:
It's not; definitely not compatible. The FW's can go up to 121kHz, but the A32 maxes at 45kHz. It probably has a little theoretical leeway but it has about a 0% chance it can go as high.
I can't have any specification for flybacks but at least there is a schematic of the internals on the FW900's service manual. There are inductances that must be sized according to the frequency of the signals, otherwise they block signals they shouldn't or let pass interferences they should block. There are also internal capacitors on the path of the vertical and horizontal dynamic focus that must have a proper value for the wide range of sweep frequencies to work. If the figures here are right, a FW900 flyback might work on a A32, but there's little chance a flyback designed for max 45kHz signals would sustain 121kHz signals. And that's only part of the issue, there's a lot of other things that could go wrong, like the voltage issued to the tube being different (windings not sized for this then), the actual power involved being different and so on.
Playing Russian roulette with a component ouputing voltages in the tens of kV range is just crazy IMO.

View attachment 224487

The GDM-FW900's FBT part # is 1-453-348-11 - TRANSFORMER ASSY, FLYBACK (NX-4504//J1D4) ... It has the warning sign "the components identified with the safety ! sign is marked as critical for safety. Replace only with the part number specified..."

Please make sure you know what you are doing... It is not a very wise risk to take... But again, that is my opinion...

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

Hello, my Sony gdm fw900 don't turn on when i plug my power cable.No light, nothing on the powerbutton , I bought it from ebay.

Wow it sure is amazing that people are still into CRTs, Ive kept all mine over the years. People called me crazy, but I like using them still. Ive been fortunate to still have both the Sony FW-900 and the HP version of it. I also have a few other ones, mostly trinitrons.

I find they are just ignorant. when i explain back light bleeding, and response time and tout my FW900 specs over even the newest monitors. some just say "..huh.. that's interesting" other are more surprised a $3000k+ monitor from 2003 can toe it with a 2020 LCD and thats when i say newer is not always better. If anyone doubts it just ask a sysadmin what they think of the latest windows updates :ROFLMAO:

I wouldn't do it.

shipping damage? loose socket inside? blown fuse?
Shipping damage...I have no idea what's broke inside...It's just don't turn on. The carrier transport put the monitor screen in the bottom i think..

Do I need a computer to turn on the Sony fw900 ? I only plug the power cord without a computer...Just the power cord

EDIT : I think i got crooked by the seller, the serial number on the back is different from the one on the photo on Ebay...Wtf.

Last edited:
Shipping damage...I have no idea what's broke inside...It's just don't turn on. The carrier transport put the monitor screen in the bottom i think..

Do I need a computer to turn on the Sony fw900 ? I only plug the power cord without a computer...Just the power cord

EDIT : I think i got crooked by the seller, the serial number on the back is different from the one on the photo on Ebay...Wtf.

You do not need a computer to check if the monitor turns on. It has a self power on display image before it goes on idle. If you plug it to a power source and it does not turns on at all, then the monitor is not functional.

I really do feel bad for you... and it hurts me so much to see one of these jewels arriving with functional issues to their new owners due to either mishandling by the carrier and/or poor packing by the sellers and/or unit not functional before it was shipped.

It appears that the unit either was damaged in transit and arrived with internal damage, or it was not functional before it was shipped. These are the two logical possibilities.

In order to properly pack the GDM-FW900 in absence of the original box, it must be cushioned 4-6" all around including the top case, screen and sides, and then raised 6-8" from the bottom of a double walled heavy duty box of at least 28"x28"x28". The proper material for packing this 92-lb. CRT is high impact polyethylene foam (not styrofoam!) If it was not packed this way, it will arrive with internal damage and/or destroyed. Please check how the monitor was packed and take pictures of the packing. Do not discard it!

I strongly suggest for you to file a claim with eBay, and then notify the carrier that the item arrived with internal damage. Do these two tasks immediately!

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

If you are not able to get the monitor working, please do not throw it away. I'm sure there is someone smarter than us that can take the time to look at it. Worst case scenario, it can be used for parts. Someone on page 426 of this topic needs the flyback transformer so there is that. These are extremely rare monitors. It's crazy to think that just 20 years ago, that's all there was with desktops, CRT monitors and now they are getting very rare. Makes me wonder how many FW900's sony produced in total.

Speaking of non-working FW900s, I still haven't even fixed mine after all these years. All it's done is sit around and take up a lot of space.

Someone over in Europe still wants it and even plans to have it fixed up locally, but I'm a bit hesitant about shipping one of these beasts, especially when I didn't get the original box (it was bought off CL years ago).

I've been thinking about improvising with one of those heavy wheeled warehouse crates as a base, then having that packing foam sprayed/injected around the FW900 itself. That might keep it from getting any more damaged, and with how ridiculously heavy and bulky these things are, they'll have to be shipped by freight anyway.

Maybe it'll go to someone who knows how to fix these things instead, or failing that, it still looks to be in very good shape and can be parted out. I just couldn't justify the shipping costs before, but times change.

Or, heck, if you're close enough to the greater Atlanta area, just drive over here and pick it up. The gas will probably be cheaper than the shipping.

If you are not able to get the monitor working, please do not throw it away. I'm sure there is someone smarter than us that can take the time to look at it. Worst case scenario, it can be used for parts. Someone on page 426 of this topic needs the flyback transformer so there is that. These are extremely rare monitors. It's crazy to think that just 20 years ago, that's all there was with desktops, CRT monitors and now they are getting very rare. Makes me wonder how many FW900's sony produced in total.

Chances are the buyer paid a very high price for the monitor, and even removing the internal parts and selling them (provided that they are not damaged) may not come close to what he paid for the unit. It will be better for the buyer to go thru the claim process and get his $ back immediately.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

Speaking of non-working FW900s, I still haven't even fixed mine after all these years. All it's done is sit around and take up a lot of space.

Someone over in Europe still wants it and even plans to have it fixed up locally, but I'm a bit hesitant about shipping one of these beasts, especially when I didn't get the original box (it was bought off CL years ago).

I've been thinking about improvising with one of those heavy wheeled warehouse crates as a base, then having that packing foam sprayed/injected around the FW900 itself. That might keep it from getting any more damaged, and with how ridiculously heavy and bulky these things are, they'll have to be shipped by freight anyway.

Maybe it'll go to someone who knows how to fix these things instead, or failing that, it still looks to be in very good shape and can be parted out. I just couldn't justify the shipping costs before, but times change.

Or, heck, if you're close enough to the greater Atlanta area, just drive over here and pick it up. The gas will probably be cheaper than the shipping.

What happened to your GDM-FW900? What is it doing? Does it turns on at all? I am curious...

Thanks co much in advance!

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

What happened to your GDM-FW900? What is it doing? Does it turns on at all? I am curious...
Because I first saw it already warmed-up, I didn't realize it had a problem with the electron guns seemingly shorting to full brightness on cold startup, drastically overexposed red, green or blue from mostly black - enough to kick it into protection mode with the blinking amber power LED much of the time.

I just kept it on with a screen saver as much as possible, but then one cold startup, something popped, and now all I get is a loud crackling from the neon spark gap bulb inside lighting up before it quickly shuts down into protection mode, flashing amber LED and all.

This leads me to believe that the bulk of the control circuitry should still be good, and that it's repairable - but I never had the time to go poking around the HV innards, or money to buy replacement parts.

I'd discussed the possibility of having you service it before, except for the significant problem of you being in California and me being all the way on the other end in Georgia - a distance where shipping it over and back would not be cost-effective in the slightest, especially with my old job giving me no choice but to be stingy with my spending. Forget the labor and parts costs on top of that; it'd probably end up over $1,000 by the time everything's accounted for.

I did make a point that I do not want this monitor filling up a landfill even in its current state, though; it's likely a good donor for other faulty FW900s if it comes down to that.

Guys, is this monitor still worthwhile the repair? Fair question, haven't been following monitor specs for a while.
Is it the 0 imput lag that makes it special or something else?

satanicoo, it depends on your own needs and likes what you consider a from a monitor being "special", in my opinion what makes the fw900 special is:

-text quality is very close to modern monitor quality
-excellent latecy
-excellent viewing angles
-excellent blacks
-excellent life like motion clarity at any refresh rate it allows to use from 47hz to 160hz
-excellent mix of high refresh rate and high resolutions, for example can go up to 96hz at 1920 x 1200 or 106hz at 1920 x 1080
-high modern widescreen resolutions support: 1920 x 1020 , 1920 x 1080, even up to 2560 x 1440 75hz (80hz with a 500mhz pixel cock dac adapter) 2560 x 1600 68hz (72hz with a 500mhz pixel cock dac adapter)
-excellent non native multi resolutions, so you are not forced to use the native resolution as on modern monitors to get best image quality.
-soft flicker percepcion at lower refreshes, for example i play some games at 55 - 60hz and i personaly does not notice the flicker at those frequencies.
-excellent color quality
-its widescreen format which is very close to modern monitor formats, although its 16:10 aspect ratio, and most if not all modern monitors are 16:9, it also display 16:9 content very good, with thin horizontal black bars in the top and bottom of the screen not being too noticiable as on a 4 3 aspect monitor, and i even play and use some 16:9 content and resolutions with the entire screen stretched and since 16:10 is not too far from 16:9, the stetching is barely notable and not annoying for me.

even thought those are features of almost all good quality crt monitors, the widescreen advantage of fw900 gives the edge on my opinion, makes me feel playing games more comfortable like on a modern wider screen plus mixing all those other features i mentioned in which modern monitors fail to bring in one single monitor and also with flaws, tradeoff, side effects they have. for example: modern have brightness issues when trying to produce better motion clarity (almost all of them lose a lot of brightness and some few are reported to get way overbright and at almost all cases the user is not able to adjust brightness, in few cases were it is posible to adjust it, will have the tradeoff of reducing motion clarity quality in order to not to lose much brightness), more agressive flicker perseption for lower refresh rates, (so agressive that manufaturers are locking them to 75-85hz minimum) require higher refreshes and so gpu power (meaning to deliver higher framerate to match the higher refresh rate required) than crt to try to achieve same crt motion clarity quality with minimal motion artifacts..poor blacks...etc.

Last edited:
shipping damage? loose socket inside? blown fuse?
Chances are the buyer paid a very high price for the monitor, and even removing the internal parts and selling them (provided that they are not damaged) may not come close to what he paid for the unit. It will be better for the buyer to go thru the claim process and get his $ back immediately.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!
The sellers on Ebay claim that the photo with the serial number are from a different Sony gdm fw900 except the others pictures which that the ones he send me...That is bullshit, I don't believe this guy at all.
He's lying that for sure...He sold me a already brocken monitor with a different serial number, that's all.

What can I do with this brocken Sony fw900 ? I don't know what do to with this...I can't find a repair company in my country, i'm sad.
This thing is huge, I can't send it in United States for a potential repair, that will cost me a lot to ship for something that not even possible to repair.
I have no choice to throw it away on day or later.

Last edited:
The sellers on Ebay claim that the photo with the serial number are from a different Sony gdm fw900 except the others pictures which that the ones he send me...That is bullshit, I don't believe this guy at all.
He's lying that for sure...He sold me a already brocken monitor with a different serial number, that's all.

What can I do with this brocken Sony fw900 ? I don't know what do to with this...I can't find a repair company in my country, i'm sad.
This thing is huge, I can't send it in United States for a potential repair, that will cost me a lot to ship for something that not even possible to repair.

Like others have said use eBay and get your money back.

Like others have said use eBay and get your money back.
The seller offer me a partial refund...I don't know about this, I'll wait to see what Paypal offer me for this transaction. (refund partial or complete)
List it for parts but don't just throw it away. People have to actually pay to dispose of CRT's these days is what i'm getting at.
I'll see what i can do after I get back my money first...This huge brocken monitor is just sitting right front of my eyes in my room, it's depressing me every second watching it.

The seller offer me a partial refund...I don't know about this, I'll wait to see what Paypal offer me for this transaction. (refund partial or complete)

I'll see what i can do after I get back my money first...This huge brocken monitor is just sitting right front of my eyes in my room, it's depressing me every second watching it.

PayPal will side with the buyer. You paid for a working monitor and it does not work. It is on the seller to make sure it is packed well and that it arrives working.

Don't let him fool you. You paid for a working monitor, you didn't get it, you're entitled to a full refund. If things haven't changed on ebay the sellers never succede with that kind of bargain.

I once got an oscilloscope on ebay, it was advertised as working and in a perfect shape. When I received it, 2 knobs were missing. The seller couldn't provide a replacement matching the ad. I ended obtaining a refund AND keeping the oscilloscope, as it was unsellable in that state and it would have cost them extra money to recover it.

FILE A CLAM WITH EBAY AND GET YOUR $ BACK! Also, notify the carrier that the monitor arrived with internal damage.

If you paid by credit card, file a chargeback. If you paid by PayPal, file a case with them. DO THIS IMMEDIATELY!

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

DO NOT ACCEPT PARTIAL REFUND! Get your entire $ back!

That monitor can have several parts broken including the neck of the picture tube which renders the unit useless...

GET YOU ENTIRE $ BACK!

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

Back