24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

No I didn’t. I prefer not to use any LUT if possible.

I don't understand why you're confused:

From the guide:

So now you have great white point balance, and fantastic blacks, but the image is severely crushed. We need to tweak our luminance function. One very easy way to do this is just to adjust the gamma slider in your video card properties. If you're not overly concerned about meeting precise HDTV standards, and you find the image acceptable after adjusting the gamma slider, you're fine. You can even re-measure your grayscale in HCFR to see how the gamma changed as a result. For those who want to really fine tune things, read on.

Understood. It could be that you had to turn down G2 lower without the AG to achieve same level of blackness (since the AG blocks transmission of light from phosphor to eyes). Lowering G2 increases gamma (which can crush blacks).

I can see how LUT adjustment could degrade quality without a 10 bit DAC, but if you do have a 10 bit DAC, then a LUT adjustment makes a massive difference if done correctly. And depending on the game, you can often get the game to respect your LUT, and there are tools like cpkeeper that can help in many cases (though perhaps not all).

I think like 30-50% of games I have tried did override the custom LUT. When this happens you are stuck with in-game gamma slider which sometimes is not "wide" enough. I think LUTs look really nice, especially in movies, its like they de-crush the whole image and there is suddenly much more detail in the whole image, the image looks very "soft" and "real" compared to a more contrast-y original.

By the way, I still get a little crushed blacks with LUTs, possibly because I have only DTP94 and not something better? Is there maybe some GUI tool where I could adjust the luminance function further myself and see the results on-the-fly? I just worked with dispcal CLI so far.

spacediver what are our options today for 10 bit DAC? The Sunix adapter is 8 bit, right? Same goes for modern nVidia cards? That info from Derupter about LT8612UX sounds really sweet!

I copied the OP and posted it to another forum that I hang out on, as if I just bought this monitor recently.

People are losing their minds over it.
RCJHrP9.gif

Define "modern". You mean a 980 Ti? What about GTX 4xx/5xx?

Modern as in "can play latest games reasonably well". GTX480 would be a little stretch then but could be considered still modern I guess. But feel free to include old cards too if you want, I am building a Geforce 7 rig right now so there is plenty of love for the older cards too.

I think like 30-50% of games I have tried did override the custom LUT. When this happens you are stuck with in-game gamma slider which sometimes is not "wide" enough. I think LUTs look really nice, especially in movies, its like they de-crush the whole image and there is suddenly much more detail in the whole image, the image looks very "soft" and "real" compared to a more contrast-y original.

By the way, I still get a little crushed blacks with LUTs, possibly because I have only DTP94 and not something better? Is there maybe some GUI tool where I could adjust the luminance function further myself and see the results on-the-fly? I just worked with dispcal CLI so far.

spacediver what are our options today for 10 bit DAC? The Sunix adapter is 8 bit, right? Same goes for modern nVidia cards? That info from Derupter about LT8612UX sounds really sweet!
Radeon cads do 8bit dithering and can even correct gamut if you have EDID emulator - unfortunately white point is not set properly and Radeon gamut correction can only work with data from EDID and behaves strangely when white point is not exactly where sRGB spec says it should be :(
Though of course gamut is close to sRGB enough for it not be an issue and for movies where it actually matter gamut, gamma, etc. correction is best done with madVR <- as is everything related to watching movies on PC, best piece of code evar, especially for SD movies (y)

BTW. This is ridiculous that NV just doesn't add ability to load ICC profile. It + dithering (which these cards can do, they just won't) would solve all issues related to calibration ... :mad:

Hi guys,
I'm thinking about upgrading my PC and so I would like to upgrade my 980Ti which we all know is the last DVI-I card.

Are there any better alternatives to DeLOCK 62967 ? Of course I'm going to use WPB and custom ICC profile...

Hi guys,
I'm thinking about upgrading my PC and so I would like to upgrade my 980Ti which we all know is the last DVI-I card.

Are there any better alternatives to DeLOCK 62967 ? Of course I'm going to use WPB and custom ICC profile...

The Delock 87685 is better or if you are in USA, the SUNIX DPU3000.

im looking at upgrading soon too. I really want to keep my recently purchased fw900. Is there a way i can use a 2080ti with it. Interestingly were in the same ballpark, although i reside in the uk. I did notice the evga 1080ti has a dvi out on it, (if the image is correct). But after doing light research i saw that i may be able to use the displayport to connect to my fw900. Is there a possibility of using a 2080 displayport or hdmi to connect my monitor? Which is best and possibly available in the uk. I saw these but i am unsure of the quality DELL and HP .I could really do with some expert advice as the way to approach it correctly. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• DELL dp to vga.jpg
    DELL dp to vga.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 0
  • hp dp to vga.jpg
    hp dp to vga.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 0
popalazarou If you're getting a 2080Ti, then you want the Sunix DPU3000 so you can run crazy shit like 2304x1440@85hz.

Since you're in the UK, it may be easier to find the Delock version. They all use the Synaptics VMM2322 chip.

popalazarou If you're getting a 2080Ti, then you want the Sunix DPU3000 so you can run crazy shit like 2304x1440@85hz.

Since you're in the UK, it may be easier to find the Delock version. They all use the Synaptics VMM2322 chip.

i can see one Sunix DPU3000 on amazon uk so im pretty chuffed, It does look precisely what im after. this sounds nuts. I was a little skeptical of my recent fw but i have a reasonable calibration and brightness that im happy with ( perfect blacks). Seems even better than my last one and seems in very good condition so i may now go down this road. Witcher 3 cyberpunk metro tomb raider would be pretty amazing at 2304x1440 @85hz. Does it come with software ? i never used one before. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00M89Q3FC/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i can see one Sunix DPU3000 on amazon uk so im pretty chuffed, It does look precisely what im after. this sounds nuts. I was a little skeptical of my recent fw but i have a reasonable calibration and brightness that im happy with ( perfect blacks). Seems even better than my last one and seems in very good condition so i may now go down this road. Witcher 3 cyberpunk metro tomb raider would be pretty amazing at 2304x1440 @85hz. Does it come with software ? i never used one before. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00M89Q3FC/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

These are just plug and play. There is no software.

Whoops, I missed that post. Yeah, the Delock 87685 is the same as the Sunix and might be cheaper in the UK.

Though that adapter popalazarou linked might be worth looking into, now that Nividia's cards have USB-C out. It's also a splitter, so there's a possibility it's using the synaptics chip.

i noticed this item at a much lower price , would it do as good a job as the sunnix?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLOCK-Typ...ds=Delock+DisplayPort+1.2+Splitter++x+VGA+out

View attachment 110534

This is the 87730,i just asked Delock which chipset is inside it,if VMM2322 it will be very good for that price.
Looking amazon uk,if you don't need pixel clock over 330-340 MHz(1920x1200 96Hz is around 322 MHz),the best is this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-A...=1539159780&sr=1-5&keywords=Plugable+USBC-VGA

Other USB-C solutions are:
Delock 62994 with Realtek RTD2169U
Delock 63924 with IT6562 and 10 bit DAC
Both have 360 MHz input bandwidth but no one tested them,so we don't know how can the DAC go up

If you need more,like 2304x1440 80 Hz or extreme pixel clock the only solutions are:
Delock 87685
Sunix DPU3000-D3 (D2 is for cards with mini Displayport)
Both with Synaptics VMM2322 chipset

EDIT:
On Amazon UK there is also the adapter discovered by CommandoSnake

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Active-Adapter-Benfei-Converter-Gold-Plated/dp/B01KLKQN9U

tested up to 1920x1200 96 Hz,for that price it's very interesting,the only problem is that it need to be set to YCbCr instead RGB,i don't know if that can cause problem with some configurations

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, so it's Delock 87685 or Sunix DPU3000-D3. Both are more expensive than what I paid for each of my FW900 :confused: I'll stick to Delock 87685 as it's available in my country. Even though it's a splitter, does it work as normal DisplayPort to VGA converter? So just one output from Nvidia Control Panel just like if it was single VGA output?

Thanks for all the replies, so it's Delock 87685 or Sunix DPU3000-D3. Both are more expensive than what I paid for each of my FW900 :confused: I'll stick to Delock 87685 as it's available in my country. Even though it's a splitter, does it work as normal DisplayPort to VGA converter? So just one output from Nvidia Control Panel just like if it was single VGA output?

They call it splitter because it has multiple outputs but works like all other adapters
If you need more than 1920x1200 96Hz those two are the only we know,but keep in mind that some users have had minor problems with Synaptics chip,at least with Sunix adapter.

So if your new card come with USB-C output and you don't need super high resolutions, consider a more cheap solution like Plugable USB-C to VGA or Delock 62796.

Because it's a splitter, you can actually connect multiple monitors too! Though I have not tried that myself, lol.

I have small semi off topic question,I bought Eizo T57S CRT,it have nice Trinitron display and its spec is 1280 x 1024 at 85 Hz.I have Quadro P620 gpu,it have only mini displayport output.I bought cheap Akasa miniDisplayPort > VGA adapter and using Win 10 I could only run 60 Hz not matter what resolution.

I installed Win 7 and somehow I got option to set it to 75 Hz,that helped alot with flicker but its still not 85 Hz.Any idea how to get 85 Hz? I dont know if it is the VGA adapter limitation or software thing.

I have small semi off topic question,I bought Eizo T57S CRT,it have nice Trinitron display and its spec is 1280 x 1024 at 85 Hz.I have Quadro P620 gpu,it have only mini displayport output.I bought cheap Akasa miniDisplayPort > VGA adapter and using Win 10 I could only run 60 Hz not matter what resolution.

I installed Win 7 and somehow I got option to set it to 75 Hz,that helped alot with flicker but its still not 85 Hz.Any idea how to get 85 Hz? I dont know if it is the VGA adapter limitation or software thing.

Try with CRU:
https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU
Read the instructions,set a resolution (detailed or standard or both),with detailed you have more settings (with this use CRT timing)
After this restart the driver with the integrated utility
Your monitor has these limits:
30 to 92 kHz horizontal frequency
50 to 160 Hz vertical frequency
Usually displayport adapters are limited only by pixel clock,if you set a resolution over max pixel clock it simply doesn't appear on Windows control panel
You can do without problems 1280x1024 85 Hz or example 1024x768 110 Hz or 640x480 160 Hz

Last edited:
Back