24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

What's the fair market price for a custom one in mint condition HP version A7217A.. click thru price

Last edited:
So here's an interesting bit that I just noticed -- the Lenovo Y700 desktop has an nvidia 1070 in it AND it has VGA out -- does anyone know more about this? Is it legitimate? Could I do 1920x1440@80 again?

shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/ideacentre/y700/

So here's an interesting bit that I just noticed -- the Lenovo Y700 desktop has an nvidia 1070 in it AND it has VGA out -- does anyone know more about this? Is it legitimate? Could I do 1920x1440@80 again?

shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/ideacentre/y700/

I think it's misleading, It says specifications may vary, and it doesn't even mention DisplayPort.

I think it's misleading, It says specifications may vary, and it doesn't even mention DisplayPort.

Asked and answered --
"The currently available Ideacentre Y700, part number 90DG0021US, uses a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB which does not have a VGA port. It has DisplayPort, HDMI and DVI ports."

Ah well.

I have an issue. I just bought and upgraded to Titan X(P) which includes a DVI-D connector and not DVI-I. Is there a way to output analog to the FW900 using an adapter?

I have an issue. I just bought and upgraded to Titan X(P) which includes a DVI-D connector and not DVI-I. Is there a way to output analog to the FW900 using an adapter?

Oh, welcome to the club! Read back through the last several pages and you'll lear more than you ever wanted to know about pixel clocks, especially since you never WANTED to learn that the answer to your question is only "well, sort of."

Currently no one makes a high-clock adapter/converter, so the maximum resolution/refresh rate is pretty low.

Even if it was DVI-I, the resolution would probably be unacceptable.

I had a DVI-I to VGA and could resolve 2304x1440 on the FW900 before fine at 80hz. It was on my Maxwell 980ti. I am not sure if DVI-D however will even work since the 4 pins are missing for analog.

I had a DVI-I to VGA and could resolve 2304x1440 on the FW900 before fine at 80hz. It was on my Maxwell 980ti. I am not sure if DVI-D however will even work since the 4 pins are missing for analog.

DVI-D won't work for exactly this reason - no analog output.

Thanks. Well i guess its time to sadly part ways with my FW900 and its brother the FW9011 :/

That's a little drastic man! VCOM displayport and HD Fury Nano GX HDMI adapters will convert to VGA for you, with decent pixel clocks. Analogix is releasing one soon that can go even higher than the those two. And HD Fury has one they're expecting to release in 2017 that hit at least 400mhz.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm actually considering selling my Artisan. With baby #2 on the way, I just don't have time to keep these guys around anymore. It will be a local pick up though. It's more-or-less in A+ condition. Still sharp enough to run 1920x1440 (72 hz) for daily usage (I'm using the Artisan at this resolution to type this up now).

Yuck what a terrible price.
Not only in phenomenal condition but pretty much better be almost no use and recently calibrated.
Even then the price would be too high.

Anyways anybody got any info on the Sony GDM-500PS?
There was one that popped up recently that I was thinking of picking up since a 4:3 screen would be better than a 16:10 screen for retro console gaming.

That's a little drastic man! VCOM displayport and HD Fury Nano GX HDMI adapters will convert to VGA for you, with decent pixel clocks. Analogix is releasing one soon that can go even higher than the those two. And HD Fury has one they're expecting to release in 2017 that hit at least 400mhz.

That is correct! No need to panic guys... There will be solutions out there for a little while...

On the anti-glare topic, some interesting informations I found (can't access to the entire content though, if someone finds a place where it can be downloaded free tell it !):
Coatings on Glass 1998

So, according to this document, the AG coating on Sony monitors can be expected to have the following specs:
- Neutral grey filter with about 70% transmittance
- reflection in the visible range < 0.5%
- electric resistance around 200 ohms (EM shielding purpose, that's why the film is connected to the ground apparently)
- structure: PET substrate + hard coating + three layers AR coating (SiOx / TiN / SiO2)
- thickness around 190 µm

... Now let's find someone who manufactures something similar.

how can it be when 'original' is many times more reflective
i meant specular reflection, not the darkness of the filter, which is what you're getting more of with the polarizers.

that's also what that 0.5% number above refers to. the original film has this type of a coating on the outside: Anti-reflective coating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

see my pictures from way back:

On the anti-glare topic, some interesting informations I found (can't access to the entire content though, if someone finds a place where it can be downloaded free tell it !):
Coatings on Glass 1998

So, according to this document, the AG coating on Sony monitors can be expected to have the following specs:
- Neutral grey filter with about 70% transmittance
- reflection in the visible range < 0.5%
- electric resistance around 200 ohms (EM shielding purpose, that's why the film is connected to the ground apparently)
- structure: PET substrate + hard coating + three layers AR coating (SiOx / TiN / SiO2)
- thickness around 190 µm

... Now let's find someone who manufactures something similar.
i can't access that one but here's another with what appears to be identical information
44.4: The Transmittance Control of Film Laminated CRTs by Light Absorbent Anti-reflective Coating and Pigmented Adhesive - Hanaoka - 2000 - SID Symposium Digest of Technical Papers - Wiley Online Library
pm if you want a copy

edit:
for the book i can only see 1 page from google
if anyone really wants i can get it from my school's library; it's stored off-campus but i can request it
edit: i can request a page range to be scanned to a pdf, max 50 pgs. takes a few more days though. let me know if you want

Last edited:
i can't access that one but here's another with what appears to be identical information
44.4: The Transmittance Control of Film Laminated CRTs by Light Absorbent Anti-reflective Coating and Pigmented Adhesive - Hanaoka - 2000 - SID Symposium Digest of Technical Papers - Wiley Online Library
pm if you want a copy

edit:
for the book i can only see 1 page from google
if anyone really wants i can get it from my school's library; it's stored off-campus but i can request it
edit: i can request a page range to be scanned to a pdf, max 50 pgs. takes a few more days though. let me know if you want

Of course I want, the more information the better ! :woot:

I'll compare with what I can access on the google book to see if it's worth asking for the book itself, and which pages.

Never put a soldering iron into a monkey's hands. Else THIS happens.:eek:

Bottom line: the previous owner of this FW900 apparently found smart to desolder some memory chips in an attempt to copy the data before or after messing with Windas. He soldered a 8 pins "seat" on the board, and then plugged the chip on the "seat". Except that he unstuck half the pads when desoldering the chip in the first place. When I removed that abomination I discovered this pad was even completely cut from the rest of the circuit, and it came with the "seat"'s leg ...
Well, I guess I've found why that one had a vertical shape behaving a weird way, that chip is located on the N board and that's where the shape settings are processed.

Time for some patch-up job ... :wacky:

Attachments

• DSC02694 copie.jpg
    DSC02694 copie.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 150
Never put a soldering iron into a monkey's hands. Else THIS happens.:eek:

Bottom line: the previous owner of this FW900 apparently found smart to desolder some memory chips in an attempt to copy the data before or after messing with Windas. He soldered a 8 pins "seat" on the board, and then plugged the chip on the "seat". Except that he unstuck half the pads when desoldering the chip in the first place. When I removed that abomination I discovered this pad was even completely cut from the rest of the circuit, and it came with the "seat"'s leg ...
Well, I guess I've found why that one had a vertical shape behaving a weird way, that chip is located on the N board and that's where the shape settings are processed.

Time for some patch-up job ... :wacky:
Good luck. Hopefully it's not irreparably damaged.

And ... I DID IT ! :D

I removed the laquer layer at the cut end of the tracks, and I first tried to put back the pad in place with glue but it never worked, the glue vaporises as soon as you heat it.

Then I tried soldering a cooper wire soaked in solder between those tracks.

DSC02697-1.jpg

Next I soldered the chip on the top of this.

DSC02699-1.jpg

It's a bit ugly but it seems to hold, and my multimeter confirms a good connexion everywhere.

But I got the best news when I plugged back the card: the problem is gone, now the image shape is perfectly stable from the very first second you push the power button. :woot:
I just have to finish replacing the electrolytic caps with the N and S board, check the settings and that one should be good for the next 10 years.

glad someone here is within reach of that puppy :)

p.s. it's spacediver not spacedriver, common mistake tho :p

I almost bought the one in Omaha, but I realized it would cost me $160 in gas to get to it. Darn guzzling SUV.

Seems like it found a loving home with Dan. Hope he reports on how he finds it soon.

Sorry the distance didn't work out you, icor1031. You were the first to contact me.

Long live the CRT!

Seems like it found a loving home with Dan. Hope he reports on how he finds it soon.

Sorry the distance didn't work out you, icor1031. You were the first to contact me.

Long live the CRT!

It's extremely ironic to see you here... How long have you been on this forum?

EDIT: I see you joined today.
What made you come?

Last edited:
Just checking on (what once was) my baby. I didn't really want to sell it, it was at the request of my wife to "make way" (for more of HER stuff, I presume...)

Shhhhh, I've been here many moons ago, but never joined since I was more aligned with TPU. Heck, this thread was my resource before I purchased this unit in 2006!

Just checking on (what once was) my baby. I didn't really want to sell it, it was at the request of my wife to "make way" (for more of HER stuff, I presume...)

Shhhhh, I've been here many moons ago, but never joined since I was more aligned with TPU. Heck, this thread was my resource before I purchased this unit in 2006!
Sorry to hear that, man. I guess we can all understand that between your wife and the FW900, the FW900 had to go. Shame on her for making you make that choice, though! :p

FW900 for sale in Chicago.

Sony GDM-FW900 24 Trinitron Widescreen Pro Display

The seller also has it listed on ebay:

Sony GDM-FW900 24" Widescreen CRT Monitor | eBay

For $1500 this better be in phenomenal condition. The seller stole Vito's image to advertise the unit. I've emailed the person and asked them to remove that photo and replace it with a photo of the actual unit they are selling.

Thanks for the PM, but like I said, I detected the seller before that and he was advised to take the image down, which he did... Thanks for watching out!!!!

UV!

FW900 for sale in Chicago.

Sony GDM-FW900 24 Trinitron Widescreen Pro Display

The seller also has it listed on ebay:

Sony GDM-FW900 24" Widescreen CRT Monitor | eBay

For $1500 this better be in phenomenal condition. The seller stole Vito's image to advertise the unit. I've emailed the person and asked them to remove that photo and replace it with a photo of the actual unit they are selling.

Add to it... I am not 100% sure if the newly advertised photo from that eBay posting is the actual photo of the unit... Thanks again!!!

Sorry to hear that, man. I guess we can all understand that between your wife and the FW900, the FW900 had to go. Shame on her for making you make that choice, though! :p

True. I hate having to make "grown-up" decisions where I'm pitted against MY stuff...

Oh well, off to clean my wounds with some rum!

Was finally able to get everything up and running. So far so good with this one but I haven't had time to tweak anything as of yet as I've been busy playing carpenter and painter the past week. Thanks again Contrabass and a pleasure to meet you.

Back