24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

Long time lurker of this post since I first got my fw900, first time poster. I will be moving across country soon and I am trying to down size my life so the fw900 has to go. I live in Mesa Arizona, if there is anyone near by who is looking for one of these monitors in fantastic shape lets get in touch. If I can't find anyone locally I will be listing it on ebay. I will update with pictures.

How much are you selling it for? What direction are you moving? I'm in Houston, Texas, so it's a long drive for me obviously. Don't know if my car will make it lol.

I'll be moving north but I'd rather not move it otherwise I would just keep it. Looking for 600ish but it's up to what people are willing to pay. I might find myself on a road trip to LA soon so that might work for someone.

Thank you to all of you for the tons of useful information! I just got one, I can't say brilliant condition, but it's OK. I have one question - I've managed through registry tweaking to get 1920x1200@95Hz, but I can't get it to 96Hz. Is it cable limitation?

The maximum for 1920x1200 is 94Hz. If you are able to get more / or if you force the monitor to achieve more, than thats not good for the life of the monitor.
You should not use it with this configuration, stay with 85Hz.

Thank you to all of you for the tons of useful information! I just got one, I can't say brilliant condition, but it's OK. I have one question - I've managed through registry tweaking to get 1920x1200@95Hz, but I can't get it to 96Hz. Is it cable limitation?
1920x1200@96hz is definitely possible.
I think I even got it to run at ~101hz with customs timings if I remember correctly.

Many Tubes (not all) are able to run higher resolutions and/or higher refreshrates as intended. But as i said i would not recommend to do so.

Not sure, but I would recommend sticking at 85 hz. Is there a reason you want 96?

96 is 24*4 so I'd expect television things to run well at it.

Exactly.

Thank you, but it seems that it can't sync @96Hz. Oh well 95 it is then.

The maximum for 1920x1200 is 94Hz. If you are able to get more / or if you force the monitor to achieve more, than thats not good for the life of the monitor.
You should not use it with this configuration, stay with 85Hz.

I know, but I've seen a lot of guys around who are running it @96Hz.

1920x1200@96hz is definitely possible.
I think I even got it to run at ~101hz with customs timings if I remember correctly.

WOW that must have been a lot of tweaking. Have you tried 1920x1080 @120Hz, that would be awesome for 3D. Sadly mine is from August 2001, I guess not as refined as the later ones. These are pretty scarce around, so it's not like I had much of choice. In fact it was the only one for sale, the other thread was from 2008. I'm pretty happy none the less and I got it for $100 so it's quite of a deal :D

There a reason you won't do 72hz? There's a native mode in the FW900 that is 1920x1080p @72hz for movies I suspect.

Native Hz for movies and TV is irrelevant with modern shader controls. Setup MPC-HC with the MadVR renderer and even at 85Hz you will never want for anything more

Zeos, do you watch blu rays on your FW900? I've looked briefly into doing this (I already have MadVR set up), and apparently the only way to do it with MadVR is by ripping the blu-ray to hd first. Have you found any more convenient solutions (that don't include using an external blu-ray player and using an HDMI-VGA adaptor)?

watching high quality 1080p video on this monitor is jaw dropping!

Zeos, do you watch blu rays on your FW900? I've looked briefly into doing this (I already have MadVR set up), and apparently the only way to do it with MadVR is by ripping the blu-ray to hd first. Have you found any more convenient solutions (that don't include using an external blu-ray player and using an HDMI-VGA adaptor)?

watching high quality 1080p video on this monitor is jaw dropping!

Agreed. Vimeo HD looks amazing. I can only guess at Blu-Ray quality. This monitor is actually convincing me to get a BluRay drive.

Hello guys this is my first post but i already followed this site some moths and this thread wanted me to get an FW900 but unfortunally i only found 1 near to me (22km away from my house) but it was a F520.
You guys spoke that this monitor is flawless and no LCD can get the picture quality.
As im 16 years old and cant remember a CRT monitor ( i use a TV pixel plus from philips ,CRT), so i wanted to see this monitor cuz i thought it cant be that good, you know old technologie etc. but hey i have only say one word; AWESOME, this pciture quality is a dream, you have to see it to believe. i wanted to show this screen quality my friends but i cant get a picture of it ( gets very blurry if i try to make a pic of it). Btw i got asus vg248qe already.
So lets start:
i like this monitor and want it to use as my main screen for gaming but i have one problem:
the screen is a bit yellowish. i mean even when its turned off it has a yellow tint on the glass, when i look inside( its most seen on black backgrounds). I bought an usb to ttl ( idk the name of it)cable to lower the G2 etc with windas( still waiting till it arrives). Can someone help me? the monitor is very very clean, i never saw so much clean, i mean there are no scratches on the bezel or so. I dont know the way out but what i can say is that it got MUCH better quality when comparing with my ASUS VG248QE side by side running 60hz both ( got no displayport cable :rolleyes: ). ahh and the monitor is from 2002.

wow, an F520 - probably the finest CRT in terms of picture quality out there - how much did you pay for it? :)

Not sure about the yellow tint - sounds strange to me. Does it make the image look yellowish also?

I know there is at least one other user that has some F520 - SH1 - hopefully s/he can chime in on this.

as for 60hz and no displayport cable - what are you using to connect your video card to the display?

My first thought is the AG film. One of my p1130's has that yellowish tint to the black levels, but only when light is shining on it. It's not really that noticeable though, in fact the monitor has to be off to really see it. Maybe removing the AG film would solve it. People have reported it looks 10 times better anyway :)

I have a feeling that the antiglare might be "baked" into the glass on the F520, or maybe that's the Artisan. Not sure.

Per Unkle Vito, the F520's coating is baked on.

(And I also just looked at my F520 with a flashlight and there is no applied film. Just the glass is there...)

Not sure what to say about a coating turning yellow...apparent even when off...sun damage or something?

Sorry to ask but regarding the F520...you've given it a good cleaning? (I use Walgreen's "Professional Lens Cleaner" since way back as it's indicated for coated optics. Other formulations often are anti-static, which is to be avoided per Sony's instructions...)

I don't have any disk drives at all in my new PC. Any movie watching comes in the form of downloaded media. I have found a point of diminishing returns on 1080p content with H264 to sit around 6-8 gigs per hour. So a 15gig 1080p BluRay rips seem to be the best quality you need in order to take full advantage of this monitor. Probably because CRT's are a bit more forgiving than pixel perfect LCD's and we can have way better color gradient and grayscale natively.

Then again there are 40 gig rips out there if you want to spend a week downloading.

This Copy of Cowboy Bebop is around 2 gigs per ep http://i5.minus.com/ib1jWkxe0Yvfa4.jpg and this copy in 10bit color of Game of Thrones http://i5.minus.com/iE6iQz4e7LymI.png is 5-7 gigs an episode. Yes, that is a screenshot from the video through tweaked MadVR.

Sorry to ask but regarding the F520...you've given it a good cleaning? (I use Walgreen's "Professional Lens Cleaner" since way back as it's indicated for coated optics. Other formulations often are anti-static, which is to be avoided per Sony's instructions...)

interesting - what would you recommend for cleaning the glass after removing antiglare on an FW900?

Then again there are 40 gig rips out there if you want to spend a week downloading.

if i went that route, i'd buy the blu-rays and rip em myself :)

This Copy of Cowboy Bebop is around 2 gigs per ep http://i5.minus.com/ib1jWkxe0Yvfa4.jpg and this copy in 10bit color of Game of Thrones http://i5.minus.com/iE6iQz4e7LymI.png is 5-7 gigs an episode. Yes, that is a screenshot from the video through tweaked MadVR.

nice. btw, as I understand it, it's not 10 bit color, but rather 10 bit precision in the encoding, which means that when it's displayed in 8 bit, you get less quantization artifacts (smoother gradients, etc.).

But to get true 10 bit color, you'd need 10 bit content (and when it comes to things like game of thrones, only the studios have the 10 and 12 bit content, they're released in 8 bit), 10 bit frame buffer support in your video card, and a 10 bit display.

We FW900 owners certainly have a 10 bit display :)

(And I also just looked at my F520 with a flashlight and there is no applied film. Just the glass is there...)

Not sure what to say about a coating turning yellow...apparent even when off...sun damage or something?

The AG coating on the F520 tubes is built into the glass. Not all the 15X and 16X tubes have AG coating built into the glass. Some have the AG film on it and the best way to find out is to open the case and look for a small round sticker on the tube that reads "F" which means film.

Hope this helps...

UV!

The AG coating on the F520 tubes is built into the glass. Not all the 15X and 16X tubes have AG coating built into the glass. Some have the AG film on it and the best way to find out is to open the case and look for a small round sticker on the tube that reads "F" which means film.

Hope this helps...

UV!

Sorry...I didn't realize it was inside the glass.

interesting - what would you recommend for cleaning the glass after removing antiglare on an FW900?

I don't know, but I've always assumed that without the antiglare film the surface would be more raw glass and an antistatic solution might then be acceptable.

That said, I've never actually had a monitor without antiglare.

i like this monitor and want it to use as my main screen for gaming but i have one problem:
the screen is a bit yellowish. i mean even when its turned off it has a yellow tint on the glass, when i look inside( its most seen on black backgrounds).

[[[Me too thinking that the antiglare itself got yellowish (however this happend). If you are not in an bright environment you can remove it.]]]

EDIT: Like Vito said. ^^

Last edited:
hey thanks for you helps im very thankful.
I only paid 10€. Im using VGA to DVI adapter ( it came with my graphic card ATI 5770HD sapphire) and i used HDMI output and input for my ASUS vg248QE.
no i dont got the artisan model i got the F520 (says per monitor OSD after long press).
The seller wrote down that the AG-couting is still on, dont removed.
i did some pictures of playin COD2 ( ye old but i still like it to play some minutes :D ).
if u guys want i can post some and i would be verrry thankful if u guys would help me with calibrating it :)
And ye i didnt cleaned the glass neither the monitor itself. it looks clean anyway but i will clean it today with Glass cleaner. So any tipps how i can remove the AG or is it impossible?
back for the yellow tint: The black bars at top and bottom looks yellow too. its most visible on Black but on other colors too but not too much like black. :mad:
and i got ghosting too on my CRT. do you think its because of the cable? ( using VGA cable with a adapter VGA->DVI)

and here i got a compare between my CRT TV (philips pixel plus , one of the last CRT models before LCD was the superior at the shops) and my F520
i did used flashlight from my Camera to show you guys the difference

Last edited:

Hope this helps...

UV!

P991 is the same way. I removed the case and bezel to remove the AG, and to my surprise - no film to remove. :)

Hope this helps...

UV!

interesting! What does 15X and 16X mean?

Ugh.. I wonder if the previous owner was using glass cleaner on the screen? I found this while searching for possible causes:

"Although ammonia is often cited as the principal ingredient that makes glass cleaner a bad choice for cleaning electronics, there may be any number of compounds in glass cleaning products that can damage delicate electronic equipment, especially screens and other displays.
Even some late model CRT televisions sported glass treated with anti-glare film that was prone to yellowing and cracking from repeated exposure to glass cleaner."

Source: Link

WOW that must have been a lot of tweaking. Have you tried 1920x1080 @120Hz, that would be awesome for 3D.
1920x1080@120hz isn't possible because the pixel clock is too high for the FW900.
Nvidia also blocked CRTs from being used with stereo 3D.

Back