24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

Like I said, please continue the discussion with the professionals at X-Rite. They are the ones that designed and built the instruments and pretty much know much more than you when it comes to the instruments. If you cannot understand the specs of the instruments, then I can't help you but maybe the professionals at X-Rite may be able to further assist you with your discussions and concerns. Kevin at Tech Support maybe able to help you understand the instrument, what it is, what is does, what can do, what it can't do, and its uses...

Oh I have no concerns - you're the one that jumped in here and told me that my i1 pro isn't a spectroradiometer. When I defended that claim with solid references and explanation, you decide to leave the conversation. Sound familiar?

I have no doubt that as a CRT technician you're awesome, but when you make claims such as:

The native color space in all the three default reference points of the GDM-FW900, the F520, the C520, and all Premier Pros monitors is Adobe 1998. The sRGB is for reference and it is so far off when the white balance completes the process that becomes irrelevant for color accuracy and matching.

Unkle Vito!

or

If sRGB is your preferred color space, then you may be able to custom set the calibration parameters in WinDAS/WinCATs by programming these new parameters into one of the pre-set reference points, and then perform the white point balance with the spectrophotometer set to read those specific values and obtain results to delta E of +/- 0.005%. I have done this procedure in trial runs with success.

you come across as pretty clueless when it comes to basic colorimetric concepts.

Not to side with anyone here, but this is getting off topic. Please - this thread is now 10,000+ posts strong. Let's not get it closed due to arguing. If you need to discuss this further, please take it to the PM's.

Oh I have no concerns - you're the one that jumped in here and told me that my i1 pro isn't a spectroradiometer. When I defended that claim with solid references and explanation, you decide to leave the conversation. Sound familiar?

I have no doubt that as a CRT technician you're awesome, but when you make claims such as:

or

you come across as pretty clueless when it comes to basic colorimetric concepts.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.... PLEASE STOP!!!!

Andrew Rodney:

"The Eye-One Pro which is more expensive can read patches for output (it is a Spectrophotometer) or used for either display (it becomes a spectroradiometer)."

Curte Palme:

"The EyeOne Pro and EyeOne Pro 2 (often simply called i1Pro or i1 Pro 2) are true spectroradiometers (spectrophotometers), and thus offers the most accurate readings for the widest range of displays at an affordable price. "

Mark Kaye:

"GretagMacbeth Eye-One Pro Spectroradiometer (2 - both certified Dec 2009)"

I'm done.

Is X-Rite, the company that purchased Gretag-McBerth, Sequel Imaging, and others, and manufacture the i1 spectrophotometers WRONG about what they manufacture?

Did you call X-Rite Tech Support? Please do us all a favor and do it immediately, and after Tech Support lecture you about the i1 and other instruments they manufacture, please correct your statements and apologize to the forum readers for misleading them.

If you still don't want to call them, I will be more than glad to forward you the email from X-Rite Tech support with the actual specs of the i1 and will outline for you the paragraphs where X-Rite ("The Company which manufactures the i1") refers the i1 as spectrophotometers, and not a spectroradiometers.

I am done as well...

Unkle Vito!

Yes, they are wrong if they claim that it is not a spectroradiometer. Whoever sent you that email does not understand the proper definition of a spectroradiometer. I will contact them myself tomorrow, and share what they report.

Last edited:
Ok, now for something I've been meaning to do for a while:

Below is an image showing the FW900 primaries of my unit, as measured in native mode. I've plotted them against three other gamuts:

SMPTE-C, which is a standard very closely associated with Rec 601. I think, but need to confirm, that the GDM trinitrons use SMPTE-C phosphors.

In the 90's the HDTV standards were introduced, and along came Rec 709, which has an identical color space to sRGB.

If you watch blu-rays, this is the color space that the colorist was working with when mastering the disc.

The third plot shows the Adobe RGB gamut, which has a much more saturated green than the other spaces.

There is also P3, or DCI (Digital Cinema Initiatives), which also has a saturated green, although the hue is different from Adobe RGB, and more in line with sRGB. I haven't plotted this one, but it's what the standard is for digital cinema.

These plots were done in Matlab, coded from scratch based on the original CIE 1931 Standard Observer data, and using these equations for deriving chromaticity of any given spectral input.

I was too lazy to get around to plotting the actual color, so you'll have to use your imaginations. But green is towards the top, red is towards bottom right, and blue is towards bottom left.

In the future, I'll be reporting results of measurements between both of my functioning FW900 units (to give an idea of how consistent the specs are), and comparing the chromaticities with anti glare on vs. removed.

(forgot to include axis labels, but X-axis is "x" and Y-axis is "y").

2ijtcw1.png

Last edited:
I need some help with my sony FW900, It was working fine for months but then started not coming out of standby. For example it would be on and working fine, then i would go away from the computer for a bit and it would go into standby with the orange light on, when i came back it would not come out of standby and i would have to turn it off and back on again. This got worse and when it went into standby if i tried getting it out of standby the green light comes on for a few seconds and then went back to orange and the display never came on. I had to pull the power cord out for a few hours and then plug it back in with the monitor on to get the screen back on and not let it go into standby.

Now even that does not work and it just goes right back into standby with the orange light on when i turn it on.

I'm guessing someone here will have a good idea what could be wrong with it and what needs doing to fix it and keep a FW900 alive :)

Also with the new graphics cards coming out it is becoming harder and harder to keep support for our VGA CRT's, If you know anything about displayport or DVI-D to VGA adapters then can you also take a look at http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1040418245

Thanks

re DVI/DP - vga issues, what ashratt says. I'm really hoping someone steps up and manufactures an external DAC capable of 400mhz. I don't know enough about the technology to know whether this is practical, however.

Is X-Rite, the company that purchased Gretag-McBerth, Sequel Imaging, and others, and manufacture the i1 spectrophotometers WRONG about what they manufacture?

Did you call X-Rite Tech Support? Please do us all a favor and do it immediately, and after Tech Support lecture you about the i1 and other instruments they manufacture, please correct your statements and apologize to the forum readers for misleading them.

I was about to send them an email, asking them why they don't advertise using the term spectroradiometer, when I re-examined this X-Rite white paper:

Note the following paragraph:

There is more than one way to achieve this, and each method has different advantages and disadvantages as well as various implementations. In this paper we will focus on the two methods that are widely used for display calibration. These are the spectroradiometer and the colorimeter. Take notice of the fact I am using the term “spectroradiometer” not “spectrophotometer.” A spectrophotometer measures reflectance and is used on surfaces or printed materials. A spectroradiometer measures radiation such as that from an emissive display like a CRT or an LCD.

If this does not satisfy you, I will gladly send them an email for further confirmation, and share exactly what they say. I'll even cc you in the email if you wish.

So I notice a faint "click" sound from my monitor every now and then when using it. It's not often, but it does happen. Is this one of the common G2 shorts that occurs with the Trinitron? How do I fix this?

I was about to send them an email, asking them why they don't advertise using the term spectroradiometer, when I re-examined this X-Rite white paper:

Note the following paragraph:

If this does not satisfy you, I will gladly send them an email for further confirmation, and share exactly what they say. I'll even cc you in the email if you wish.

I REST MY CASE... Please read the comments made by Mary DeCator, Tech Support Level 2 from X-Rite... And according to you, she is wrong...

Let the readers decide for themselves...

2qsyxx4.jpg

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for your support in all these years I have posted in this forum. It has been fun, and I had the opportunity to meet in person some of you. But lately, it hasn’t been neither fun nor positive for me.

My intentions in HardForun were to indiscriminately and humbly share knowledge and experiences from working 38 years with CRTs and electronics, specially the Sony line of monitors. It was never my purpose to sell my services and/or products, engage anyone in heated discussions; or put down, insult or humiliate anyone.

During the past few weeks, I have been the subject of personal attacks and heated discussions with an individual, who by the tone and content of his answers, and excerpts copied from other forums and posted as his own answers knows very little and/or nothing about the technology in question. I emphasized to this individual my policy of not engaging anyone in discussions about subject matters. I’ve repeatedly asked and pleaded with this individual to stop, but he chose to ignore my pleas and to continue this kind of treatment, and I finally have reached the limit.

Effective immediately, I will stop posting free advice, knowledge and experiences in this forum. Those of you needing service and/or maintenance for their units or wishing to purchase my units may contact me via eBay. I am so sorry for taking this course of action, but I have neither the time nor the inclination to keep wasting resources and energy dealing with belligerent ignorance. It is not worth the aggravation.

Again, I want to thank all of you, and at the same time wish you a happy and safe Thanksgiving!

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

aw come on vito, don't let it get to you like that.. Most of us didn't even understand what the discussion was about.

Just don't let you be fooled into discussions like these, i'll take your posts and advice and explanations over anyone elses.. Pretty sure everyone does here.

Maybe instead of putting effort into discussions, try making a WINDAS guide for fw900 calibration.. Many people will love you for it.

Try to forget about the whole thing and take a break to cool off a bit, pretty sure in a bit you will see things in perspective again. I really hope you will, anyways :s

I REST MY CASE... Please read the comments made by Mary DeCator, Tech Support Level 2 from X-Rite... And according to you, she is wrong...

Let the readers decide for themselves...

The i1 pro IS a spectrophotometer. The tech support isn't wrong. It just ALSO happens to be a spectroradiometer. I emailed them this afternoon and will post their response.

During the past few weeks, I have been the subject of personal attacks and heated discussions with an individual, who by the tone and content of his answers, and excerpts copied from other forums and posted as his own answers knows very little and/or nothing about the technology in question. I emphasized to this individual my policy of not engaging anyone in discussions about subject matters. I’ve repeatedly asked and pleaded with this individual to stop, but he chose to ignore my pleas and to continue this kind of treatment, and I finally have reached the limit.

Hey, you came and challenged me about my whole spectroradiometer thing (quite aggressively I may add). If you can't handle being counter challenged, then this is your problem. And I have not once posted excerpts from others and claimed them as my own. If you're going to accuse me of plagiarism, then back it up.

Hey.. Remember when this thread was about the greatest monitor of all time and not bickering about Spectrochromalithigraphs?

Anybody have any stories they want to share? Some interesting tid-bit about their first CRT and first LCD..

ANYTHING but a continuation of the last 4 pages.

ibrre4TNDaPyuI.JPG

I remember my first Trinitron Tube. It was an HP P1130 (still have it). I was so happy as i stumbeld upon this forum and found out that an Widescreen Trinitron Tube exists :eek:.
The next weeks i was searching everyday for a FW900. :)

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for your support in all these years I have posted in this forum. It has been fun, and I had the opportunity to meet in person some of you. But lately, it hasn’t been neither fun nor positive for me.

My intentions in HardForun were to indiscriminately and humbly share knowledge and experiences from working 38 years with CRTs and electronics, specially the Sony line of monitors. It was never my purpose to sell my services and/or products, engage anyone in heated discussions; or put down, insult or humiliate anyone.

Effective immediately, I will stop posting free advice, knowledge and experiences in this forum. Those of you needing service and/or maintenance for their units or wishing to purchase my units may contact me via eBay. I am so sorry for taking this course of action, but I have neither the time nor the inclination to keep wasting resources and energy dealing with belligerent ignorance. It is not worth the aggravation.

Again, I want to thank all of you, and at the same time wish you a happy and safe Thanksgiving!

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

Wow, that's unfortunate. You will be missed.

Hey.. Remember when this thread was about the greatest monitor of all time and not bickering about Spectrochromalithigraphs?

Anybody have any stories they want to share? Some interesting tid-bit about their first CRT and first LCD..

ANYTHING but a continuation of the last 4 pages.

Yeah, it got out of hand. And as a result - bye-bye free advice to fix our units if/when something happens. :( In all honesty, I figured that would happen.

First LCD monitor was a Samsung 19-inch Widescreen monitor. At the time I thought it was awesome because it had 4ms GTG time. It was a lot faster than my laptop's crummy screen, and so I thought it was amazing. It's still working, and I doubt that Samsung will ever make a consumer-level LCD with that kind of quality again (a newer one I got this year feels much cheaper).

I also had a Dell 17-inch CRT that I had for my PC years ago. We got it with our Radeon 9700pro system. Eventually, it became my Dreamcast monitor, and then after that it had a focus issue that I didn't know how to fix. In the recycle it went. :( It's too bad too, because I know a whole lot more than I used to. It would have been an easy fix. :(

There should have been another thread started for SpaceDiver (ass) to argue with whomever he likes so the MOST HELPFUL PERSON in all the internet doesn't leave this thread. OUR ONLY SOURCE OF HELP MOST TIMES..

Who gives a flying f uck if your conclusions about one meter is different than another. You don't act like a DICK and just keep arguing. This is why I hate forum formats. No downvoting, No upvoting. No karma. The linearity alone f ucks it all up. Otherwise you would have been downvoted to oblivion and Uncle Vito would still be here getting free gold membership.

There should have been another thread started for SpaceDiver (ass) to argue with whomever he likes so the MOST HELPFUL PERSON in all the internet doesn't leave this thread. OUR ONLY SOURCE OF HELP MOST TIMES..

Who gives a flying f uck if your conclusions about one meter is different than another. You don't act like a DICK and just keep arguing. This is why I hate forum formats. No downvoting, No upvoting. No karma. The linearity alone f ucks it all up. Otherwise you would have been downvoted to oblivion and Uncle Vito would still be here getting free gold membership.

There may be hope. If spacediver can make peace with Unkle Vito, then we may have a chance. Gregua - the guy who made that WinDAS tutorial that never really went anywhere (username of SonyWINDAS in these parts), suggested we make an owner's club a long time ago and no one took him up. As great as this thread is - it's still a forum. We really need to make an owner's club site.

EDIT: Vito, if you're reading this - you've been such a valuable resource. Please don't go away.

Also folks, I've spoken to him a few times over the phone before. Great guy. He's hoping to have a WinDAS manual for sale some time next year (I think early next year?), which should replace the borderline-useless Sony WinDAS manual.

This is why I hate forum formats.

Indeed. When you get an epic hardware thread like this, There will inevitably be a Johnny Come Lately (kid with too much time on their hands) who has to flex his expertise to everyone. VITO was exactly NOT that guy. He humbly shared his information and deserves to be treated with respect.

This thread isn't anyone's personal blog. This thread is for asking questions, and respectful discussion. There have been some in this thread that have brought forth some great technical ideas about how to improve one's ownership experience with these monitors. But many have been overbearing or argumentative about things that really aren't necessary.

Someone started an FW900 sub-reddit a long time ago. Maybe that should be a landing pad for us to try and get to? I dunno. I do agree, this thread has become a very inefficient place to discuss things. And by it being a monolithic container for all FW900 chat on this forum, there's no easy way to ignore the fuck-wads that inevitably drift in and out. We could especially encourage users to leverage YouTube as a method for conveying information. I'm betting we'd get more civil discussion that way, instead of users posting a wall of text and then getting defensive if someone disagrees with one point.

Last edited:
Anyone have any information about the "common" G2 shorts that are found in these units? I do hear a "click" from inside my monitor every now and then. Like I said before, it's rare - but it still happens.

http://www.reddit.com/r/fw900 There it is.. Same amount of posts on it since the last time I checked.. The creator is still around so I am sure he would be willing to grant a few more moderators if we all jumped on that bitch. I mean come on people. You don't even need to get a conformation email. It's Reddit. Just go there, sign up in 9 seconds and subscribe (then unsubscribe from everything they start you with because your front page will be a MESS.)

http://www.reddit.com/r/fw900 There it is.. Same amount of posts on it since the last time I checked.. The creator is still around so I am sure he would be willing to grant a few more moderators if we all jumped on that bitch. I mean come on people. You don't even need to get a conformation email. It's Reddit. Just go there, sign up in 9 seconds and subscribe (then unsubscribe from everything they start you with because your front page will be a MESS.)

I'm still seriously considering getting hosting to get a GDM owner's club site going (for FW900, F520, Artisan models, etc). Also - anyone know where to get ahold of Gregua? Is he even alive?

Last edited:

Serious Question. Is there a way [H] mods can make links to this thread forward users to the sub-reddit? Something where there has to be a click through, thus still providing [H] with advertising revenue?

As well, AVS, OCF and other forums have dedicated FW900 threads as well. If we could get all forums to pool on reddit, things could really take off.

I'm still seriously considering getting hosting to get a GDM owner's club site going (for FW900, F520, Artisan models, etc). Also - anyone know where to get ahold of Gregua? Is he even alive?

A community site or forum would also be just as good really. As good as Reddit is, it is not without it's shortcomings. The cool thing about reddit is that FAQ, WINDAS, maintence, and other community tech bulletins could be placed on the sidebar. The same thing could be accomplished in a forum with tons of sticky posts. Either way, we would be getting what this threat has long needed--A proper index of references to important information. 10k of posts are a lot to sift through.

Last edited:
I'm looking to purchase a fw900. I live in Oregon, and can drive within reasonable distance. I would appreciate any and all leads. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

I've taken the time to think about this, and would like to respond directly to you.

First, I have no doubt that you have a great heart. I don't think you're trying to scam anyone here, or just post to promote your business. It's been clear from the start that you love this technology, and enjoy sharing your knowledge and helping others. For that, I, and I'm sure everyone else here, commends you.

I think a lot of the source of friction between us occurs when I challenge something you say, or you challenge something I say, and we seem unable to resolve our differences. I'd like to express that when I challenge a claim, or defend a claim, I do so not out of personal ego, or a desire to put down others, but because I'm pretty obsessed with accurate information.

That said, there has been at least one time I insulted you, when I said you came across as clueless when it came to colorimetry, and for that I apologize. I was frustrated that our discussion was going nowhere.

To be fair, you have challenged me on more than one occasion when I have been offering advice to others. Personally I have no problem with this, as I am willing to defend those challenges (or learn from them if it turns out I was wrong). Perhaps it is best if I just say "let's agree to disagree", in the interest of the greater good.

CRTs are a dying but beautiful technology, and it is very rare to have someone who has your level of experience engage the general public on the internet. I would hate for our little "feud" to jeopardize this, regardless of who is right or wrong.

With respect to the x-rite issue, as you requested, and as I promised, I will post the reply to my support ticket as soon as I receive it (I created the support case on thursday but have not heard back). I will do so regardless of what they say.

So, if you are reading this, please accept this as a peace offering.

Some discussion here.

that discussion brought me to their oled displays and a pr-video from sony where industry professionals are talking about their oled displays and every single one is saying they can replace their crts now, literally EVERYONE, i wouldn't have thought that crts are still so common in the image/post production industry

I've taken the time to think about this, and would like to respond directly to you.

First, I have no doubt that you have a great heart. I don't think you're trying to scam anyone here, or just post to promote your business. It's been clear from the start that you love this technology, and enjoy sharing your knowledge and helping others. For that, I, and I'm sure everyone else here, commends you.

I think a lot of the source of friction between us occurs when I challenge something you say, or you challenge something I say, and we seem unable to resolve our differences. I'd like to express that when I challenge a claim, or defend a claim, I do so not out of personal ego, or a desire to put down others, but because I'm pretty obsessed with accurate information.

That said, there has been at least one time I insulted you, when I said you came across as clueless when it came to colorimetry, and for that I apologize. I was frustrated that our discussion was going nowhere.

To be fair, you have challenged me on more than one occasion when I have been offering advice to others. Personally I have no problem with this, as I am willing to defend those challenges (or learn from them if it turns out I was wrong). Perhaps it is best if I just say "let's agree to disagree", in the interest of the greater good.

CRTs are a dying but beautiful technology, and it is very rare to have someone who has your level of experience engage the general public on the internet. I would hate for our little "feud" to jeopardize this, regardless of who is right or wrong.

With respect to the x-rite issue, as you requested, and as I promised, I will post the reply to my support ticket as soon as I receive it (I created the support case on thursday but have not heard back). I will do so regardless of what they say.

So, if you are reading this, please accept this as a peace offering.

Thanks for posting this. Hopefully we can all put this behind us and get back to keeping these beauties alive. :)

that discussion brought me to their oled displays and a pr-video from sony where industry professionals are talking about their oled displays and every single one is saying they can replace their crts now, literally EVERYONE, i wouldn't have thought that crts are still so common in the image/post production industry

incredible isn't it.

In terms of color reprodution, this new dolby reference monitor is rather sweet, however. (although it is stuck at 1080p).

Serious Question. Is there a way [H] mods can make links to this thread forward users to the sub-reddit? Something where there has to be a click through, thus still providing [H] with advertising revenue?

As well, AVS, OCF and other forums have dedicated FW900 threads as well. If we could get all forums to pool on reddit, things could really take off.

A community site or forum would also be just as good really. As good as Reddit is, it is not without it's shortcomings. The cool thing about reddit is that FAQ, WINDAS, maintence, and other community tech bulletins could be placed on the sidebar. The same thing could be accomplished in a forum with tons of sticky posts. Either way, we would be getting what this threat has long needed--A proper index of references to important information. 10k of posts are a lot to sift through.

Exactly right to both things. No point in trying to maintain your own FW900 site when free, easy and frankly better options are on the table. I will message the mod there and see if he is keen.

I have the same monitor but theres no windows 7 driver which makes things a mess to the point im tempted to move to lcd. If you have the nec drivers installed and have an nvidia card could you do me a favor. If so set your monitor to 1024x768@120hz in windows display then go into the nvidia control panal and let me know what the settings are listed as in the custom resolution. You know if you're in the right place if it looks like this.

Are you using 64bit version of Windows 7? That would be the only reason why the drivers not work. But its very easy to modify the .inf file so it works with an x64 OS.

Should look like this: You only have to add ".ntAMD64"

[SONY.ntAMD64]

%GDM-FW900%=GDM-FW900.Install, Monitor\SNY01E0

Here i've found a thread where someone did this:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1428965

Subreddit's /r/fw900 mod checking in.

I made the sub and tried to get started on guides, but got overwhelmed. Would love some help.

PM me on reddit and I'll gladly add you to mod list.

Let's get that wiki started!

Welcome back Kohan69. Thanks for making me a mod. I can't wait to take all the information here and organize it.

Somebody get Unkle Vito on board so he can mod too.

Subreddit's /r/fw900 mod checking in.

I made the sub and tried to get started on guides, but got overwhelmed. Would love some help.

PM me on reddit and I'll gladly add you to mod list.

Let's get that wiki started!

Tried signing up but got an "error status 0"... :(

Back