24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

Tried searching through Curtpalme.com couldn't find any relevant reference to meme patterns. If I could see an example, I could create one in inkscape and share.

When I focused my screen (or my projector) I used these.

irJ7TFmU5M7OL.png

ipA5OCv1x7yEG.png

As a bonus here is one I found for convergence. If you see purple anywhere your convergence is off. BUT I think it is impossible to remove it all.

i3nZpeAsdM1As.png

@LAGRUNAUER
I have question about FW900 flyback transformer. It is as I understand it one of the most failing component on FW900, right?

can it be transplanted from other Trinitrom monitor model (21")?

@LAGRUNAUER
I have question about FW900 flyback transformer. It is as I understand it one of the most failing component on FW900, right?

can it be transplanted from other Trinitrom monitor model (21")?

NO! It has to be the exact part # for the correct monitor.

In the case of the GDM-FW900, the FBT P/N 1-453-348-11 and it must have a label with model NX-4504//J1D4 in it. That component is identified with an special marking as critical for safety and it must be replaced with the part number specified only.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

is it possible to buy a dtp94 right now?

Make sure that ALL color calibrators, spectrophotometers, spetroradiometers you want to purchase are factory calibrated before you buy them.

If not, then the readings will be way off targets, and is money down the drain. Make sure that the company that manufacture them is still in business so the instruments can go back for service and be factory calibrated before they are used.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

Here we go, page 4-5 and 4-6

MEME pattern is a bunch of M's and E's rotated

Correct!

Most video signal generator will have this pattern. The user must program the video signal generator to set the pattern to the correct dot clock, bandwidth, resolution, and polarity.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

the DTP-94 has a reputation for maintaining stability over long periods of time. You can always measure the native primaries of your trinitron and see whether the chromaticities match up to what they're supposed to. However, if you are a professional calibrator, then yes, you need to periodically have your instruments certified.

the DTP-94 has a reputation for maintaining stability over long periods of time. You can always measure the native primaries of your trinitron and see whether the chromaticities match up to what they're supposed to. However, if you are a professional calibrator, then yes, you need to periodically have your instruments certified.

NO!

You need to have the instruments re-calibrated regardless of what you do... These instruments are designed to take accurate measurements and for that to be achieved, they need scheduled proper maintenance. This process is often ignored by end users. So was the Sony factory adjustments and calibration of the monitors, a maintenance procedure critical in prolonging the life of CRTs. That is why 99% of end users ended up trashing their monitors and buying new ones every three (3) years. I chose to properly maintain my monitors and haven't had any functional issues with any of them in past 14 years of continued use.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

My DTP-94 is years old and is as accurate as my brand new i1 pro. Many other users have commented on the remarkable stability of this particular instrument, and it has a well earned reputation. I'm not saying factory calibration is useless - I'm saying that it might not always be necessary depending on your needs, and that there are cheaper ways to see whether it has drifted.

My DTP-94 is years old and is as accurate as my brand new i1 pro. Many other users have commented on the remarkable stability of this particular instrument, and it has a well earned reputation. I'm not saying factory calibration is useless - I'm saying that it might not always be necessary depending on your needs, and that there are cheaper ways to see whether it has drifted.

I indicated to you a long time ago that I am not and will not engaged you (or anyone) in heated discussions based on differences of opinion, experience and knowledge.

Once again, you are entitled to your own opinion, but most experts will graciously disagree with your contention, and I am one of them that does disagree.

Hope this clarifies once and for all my position.

Unkle Vito!

...For the enthusiast and regular users, this may not be the case. You need to stop, think, ask and answer these questions: How much valuable is your monitor to you? How long would last if left uncalibrated and without proper maintenance? Is your monitor a integral and key piece of equipment in your workflow? Can it be replaced with something equally (not similarly) effective?...

Yes, this exactly. Regarding my issue, based on the result of a better Google search for information about my monitor's symptoms at start up I found this, http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/REPAIR/F_tvfaq8.html, and I now suspect there is a possibility I may be experiencing an intermittent H-K short in my CRT and I am going to investigate this possibility further.

Last edited:
H-K shorts can easily be diagnosed with the Sencore CR-70 and the CR-7000. If the unit has an H-K short, the tube is done as the short cannot be removed by the instruments.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

I know there are many work arounds for fixing certain types of shorts, but working with the Trinitron tubes of the GDM and CPD line of computer monitors, we have never been successful in removing H-K or any shorts involving HV and/or the cathode/focus lead.

Maybe some of you who are eager to venture into the world of repairing/calibrating/fixing these monitors may find out a way to do it...

How this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

Last edited:
H-K shorts can easily be diagnosed with the Sencore CR-70 and the CR-7000. If the unit has an H-K short, the tube is done as the short cannot be removed by the instruments.

Thanks, the Sencore CR-70 was also suggested by Spacediver. I have, I believe, confirmed that I have an intermittent H-K short as I am able to make it happen by rapping lightly on the exposed glass area of the neck just past the first ring of adjustment magnets. For each rap the screen will go full red -- it is 100% repeatable.

I know there are many work arounds for fixing certain types of shorts, but working with the Trinitron tubes of the GDM and CPD line of computer monitors, we have never been successful in removing H-K or any shorts involving HV and/or the cathode/focus lead.

Assuming that the problem will continue to get worse, with the exception of the hit to my wallet for a second hand tester, there is not much harm in trying to fix or work around the fault. It would be a shame if the monitor has to be recycled because the picture is so very, very nice. Thanks for your advice. :)

Last edited:
I posted this earlier in this thread, but just in case:

Here is the CR70 operation manual, and here is the CR70 setup book (you'll need this to figure out which adaptor to use with your CRT and what parameters to use).

I've been in contact with Sencore about a CR7000 manual, but they don't have it in electronic form. If you are interested in purchasing the CR7000 manual, you can email [email protected] or phone them at 605-978-4866.

But if you do end up buying a CR7000, I'm sure reading through the CR70 manuals will at least give you an idea of what to expect, and you can read the CR7000 manuals when they're delivered to you with the CR7000 unit.

I posted this earlier in this thread, but just in case:

Here is the CR70 operation manual, and here is the CR70 setup book (you'll need this to figure out which adaptor to use with your CRT and what parameters to use)....

Thanks, I grabbed both of them! :)

Also, I saw some, um...enterprising individual on ebay selling this same info for $20. It's almost like some folks looking for a buck don't understand that, at least for right now, everyone can get to the Internet.

Make sure that ALL color calibrators, spectrophotometers, spetroradiometers you want to purchase are factory calibrated before you buy them.

If not, then the readings will be way off targets, and is money down the drain. Make sure that the company that manufacture them is still in business so the instruments can go back for service and be factory calibrated before they are used.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

Does anyone have any idea where I can get a DTP-94 recalibrated?

also, just got the following reply from a Sencore rep when asking about differences between the CR70 and CR7000 (other than that the CR7000 tests 3 guns simultaneously):

"There are few differences in the display on CR70 an analog meter is used with the CR7000 it has a sliding Good/bad scale. The CR70 requires the user to setup all of the parameters (K, G1, G2, F1,F2) where the CR7000 does not require that which makes setup and testing much quicker. Other than that they both perform the same function and you should receive the same end results with both."

also, just got the following reply from a Sencore rep when asking about differences between the CR70 and CR7000 (other than that the CR7000 tests 3 guns simultaneously):

"There are few differences in the display on CR70 an analog meter is used with the CR7000 it has a sliding Good/bad scale. The CR70 requires the user to setup all of the parameters (K, G1, G2, F1,F2) where the CR7000 does not require that which makes setup and testing much quicker. Other than that they both perform the same function and you should receive the same end results with both."

The main difference is that the CR-7000 test all the three guns simultaneously, whereas the CR-70 test only one gun at a time, and that is a big advantage which makes the testing process quicker.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

Hey Vito. I know that landing is only supposed to be adjusted if you have any discolorations on the corners. But it looks like the landing adjusts the geometry on the corners for me as well. Does this possibly mean my screen is magnetized? Also - you have a PM. ;)

Hey Vito. I know that landing is only supposed to be adjusted if you have any discolorations on the corners. But it looks like the landing adjusts the geometry on the corners for me as well. Does this possibly mean my screen is magnetized? Also - you have a PM. ;)

Didn't get that PM. I need more information on what your unit is experiencing... PM me again with more specific information on the issue.

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

So I managed to purchase a second hand laptop, successfully install WinDAS on it, and get HCFR to work with my DTP-94 (which was a pain in the ass! let me know if you still need help getting it to work Vito - learned a couple new tricks).

Went ahead and started the white point balance procedure on my IBM P275. The signal parameters looked matched to what WinDAS was requesting (same resolution, same frequencies, etc.) At one point, it asked me to generate a grayscale pattern, and to adjust the G2 slider until the first line was cutoff (similar to how you adjust brightness and contrast with those grayscale patterns).

Now I can generate my own grayscale pattern, but I need to know what kind WinDAS is expecting. How many steps are there in the pattern? Is it 256 steps from 0-255, and a thin rectangle for each luminance?

Ideally a signal generator would be better, but unless I rob a bank, I'm not going to be able to get one any time soon, so I have to make do with what I can.

thanks in advance.

p.s. I found that setting all the equipment up for stable and safe operation was a real challenge. I have a very small room, and the WinDAS cable is very short, so the laptop had to be essentially very close to the monitor. Made making physical measurements with measuring tape quite tricky. And I still had to be able to use my other desktop computer to act as a signal generator, so it got quite cluttered. Next time I do this, I'll have to carefully think through the workflow and setup. But very exciting, and I'm still learning :)

Actually been looking into signal generators. From what I gather, WinDAS won't ask me to to generate anything beyond 1920x1200 @ 85hz, which means that I need a programmable signal generator that can do about 300 Mhz, and is compatible with CRTs.

But it seems that different signal generators have different test patterns - which test patterns will I need for WinDAS?

Last edited:
Interesting, found this confidential Sony Bulletin on DAS and WinDAS.

It has a list of compatible signal generators. However, in WinDAS you can set the configuration to manual, and use a different signal generator.

One thing that struck me is that some of the compatible generators only have pixel clocks up to 250 Mhz. That doesn't seem fast enough for 1920x1200 @ 85 hz. Maybe WinDAS only requests 60hz at that resolution?

Interesting, found this confidential Sony Bulletin on DAS and WinDAS.

It has a list of compatible signal generators. However, in WinDAS you can set the configuration to manual, and use a different signal generator.

One thing that struck me is that some of the compatible generators only have pixel clocks up to 250 Mhz. That doesn't seem fast enough for 1920x1200 @ 85 hz. Maybe WinDAS only requests 60hz at that resolution?

That's very interesting. WinDAS asks you for 1920x1200 at 85hz, so maybe those generators cannot do the FW-900 is my guess. Dynamic Convergence adjustments on WinDAS requires the FW-900's Mode 5 - 1920x1200 at 85hz with both horizontal and vertical polarity set to negative.

Back