24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

Here is another one I have in stock that I am keeping...

152lugj.jpg

1498ufm.jpg

29zr506.jpg

Enjoy!

I'm still kicking myself for not bidding higher on a new boxed FW900 a cpl years ago. It went for £500 / $800 which was my limit. Bargain of the year for whoever won.

I'm still kicking myself for not bidding higher on a new boxed FW900 a cpl years ago. It went for £500 / $800 which was my limit. Bargain of the year for whoever won.

They are extremely rare, very scarce and highly sought among hard core professional gamers and electronic gadget collectors, and quite frankly I seriously doubt you will find a legit brand new GDM-FW900/90011/90012 in the wrapper for that much today.

In case you are still hunting for one of them, plan to budget substantially more this time around, and be ready to bid large and aggressive if one comes across your way. Grab it if you can, because otherwise, you will still regret it and it may never come across again.

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

They are extremely rare, very scarce and highly sought among hard core professional gamers and electronic gadget collectors, and quite frankly I seriously doubt you will find a legit brand new GDM-FW900/90011/90012 in the wrapper for that much today.

In case you are still hunting for one of them, plan to budget substantially more this time around, and be ready to bid large and aggressive if one comes across your way. Grab it if you can, because otherwise, you will still regret it and it may never come across again.

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

i remember a new fw900 costed about 2300 dollar back in 2002-2005 correct?

Are you suggesting then that this price, for a newly packed fw900, is still "valid"?

Anyhow, its kinda funny to see that a technology that is considered by 99,99% of the world to be "dinosauric"and "20th century junk" still kept its value if you look at "new boxed price", even without warranty!

I wonder what a newly boxed fw900 would go for on ebay, given enough PR, without looking at transportation validity or cost.

So I finally figured out why I can't get picture perfect convergence on the FW900. It requires the monitor be set to Mode 5, but my screen is set to Mode 13. How do I set it to mode 5? I can't seem to get my video card to do this...

So I finally figured out why I can't get picture perfect convergence on the FW900. It requires the monitor be set to Mode 5, but my screen is set to Mode 13. How do I set it to mode 5? I can't seem to get my video card to do this...

EDIT: Got it. Now I feel like a jackass... I've been doing it wrong all this time...

Found the drivers on Okdrivers.com.

Ive scanned for Virus and packed it in an Zip file. Here the link to it on my Skydrive:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=45CB64FBC2186C3C!154

Here the link where i found it:
http://www.okdrivers.com/tag/dell-p992-windows-95

If youre using an 64 Bit System you have to modify the inf and write amd64 or so to some line. The same thing someone here on the forums done with the 32 bit version of the GDM-FW900 to work on 64 bit. I can look up to the two lines to add when im home.

Edit:

Inf File:

Original
[Manufacturer]
%DELL%=DELL

[DELL]

for 64bit support

[Manufacturer]
%DELL%=DELL, ntAMD64

[DELL.ntAMD64]

how do install them? the instruction fail with "windows has determined that the software for your device is already up to date".

EDIT: linux seems to work with it fine and give me resolutions above 1600x1200, wonder if i can fix OSX and Win 7 to do the same. EDIT: Never mind forced it for windows, now if i can "fix it" in OSX. HOWEVER win 7 still doesn't give resolutions above 1600x1200.

i remember a new fw900 costed about 2300 dollar back in 2002-2005 correct?

Are you suggesting then that this price, for a newly packed fw900, is still "valid"?

Anyhow, its kinda funny to see that a technology that is considered by 99,99% of the world to be "dinosauric"and "20th century junk" still kept its value if you look at "new boxed price", even without warranty!

I wonder what a newly boxed fw900 would go for on ebay, given enough PR, without looking at transportation validity or cost.

Prices of anything are always subject to market value based on offer and demand. Collectors pay high prize for "dinosauric" and "20th century junk" (as you refer to in your quote), regardless of worrying about warranty... I can attest that 99.95% of the time, a brand new CRT will not fail if it is used/maintain properly. I have eight (8) that I unboxed, six (6) of them back in 2000 and two (2) in 2002 and 2003, that I currently use 24/7 and they have never failed me because I take good care of them and give them proper maintenance.

By the way, the retail price of a brand new GDM-FW900 when it was in production was $2,499.95 and not $2,300.00, and they sold like hot cakes, and collectors & hard core professional gamers still pay high price for these rare, scarce and highly sough monitors, among others.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

Last edited:
Heres my guide about how to install drivers manually:

Maybe you try to install standard VGA drivers or any other vga driver from windows, and then try again to install the original drivers from sony.

Ok here an little Guide how to install the Original GDM-FW900 Drivers.
[Screenshots from a German Windows 7]

First download the drivers, there should be these 5 Files
Dateien.jpg

Second right click on the desktop and click Screen Resolution.
KontextmenDesktop.jpg

Third click on the blue Link "Advanced Options" / Monitor / Properties / Driver / Update Driver / Search for Drivers on the Computer / Select Drivers from a list on the Computer
Bildschirmauflsung.png

Next click on Disk... / Search and then select the Snymon17.inf File and click open
Treibersoftware.jpg

Maybe you will get an information that says that these drivers are not signed, just click ok and install them.

This works for both systemtypes 32 and 64 bit. The only difference is for 32 bit you use the original sony drivers which you can find easily with google. And for 64 bit systems use the modded version. I uploaded it a few posts ago cause i forgot where they actually are to find in this forum. (Note im not the guy who make this modded drivers i only made these little guide for how to install them)

How did you manage to change the picture mode of the monitor from Mode 5 to Mode 13?

Unkle Vito!

Video card. In this case, it reversed the vertical polarity. Now I have to redo everything. Lol. Another reason to use a signal generator. I was actually going to get a sencore vp-300... Any good? Suitable for this screen?

Video card. In this case, it reversed the vertical polarity. Now I have to redo everything. Lol. Another reason to use a signal generator. I was actually going to get a sencore vp-300... Any good? Suitable for this screen?

I stated several times before that specific equipment must be used when making adjustments & calibration to these monitors. I am glad you realized it the hard way.

The Sencore VP-300 as well as the Sencore VP line of video generators are good units but more geared towards Televisions (CRT, LCD, LED) and projectors. Like I said before, I can't recommend an specific brand, but we use Quantum Data and Astro Design which are fully programable video signal generators.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

I can attest that 99.95% of the time, a brand new CRT will not fail if it is used/maintain properly. I have eight (8) that I unboxed, six (6) of them back in 2000 and two (2) in 2002 and 2003, that I currently use 24/7 and they have never failed me because I take good care of them and give them proper maintenance.

You use all eight of them 24/7? Or do you rotate their usage? Do you do any graphic work on them?

Last edited:
I stated several times before that specific equipment must be used when making adjustments & calibration to these monitors. I am glad you realized it the hard way.

The Sencore VP-300 as well as the Sencore VP line of video generators are good units but more geared towards Televisions (CRT, LCD, LED) and projectors. Like I said before, I can't recommend an specific brand, but we use Quantum Data and Astro Design which are fully programable video signal generators.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

Oh, I believed you. But that didn't stop me from trying. :) And while I know that generators are more personal choices, narrowing it down for the newbies would be very helpful, if you don't mind my saying. Obviously, I'm not as experienced as you, and I don't have enough experience to make a personal decision. I just need to know a model that will do what I want to. That's all. In effect - will they all do what WinDAS needs it to? Aren't there specific generators that work with WinDAS?

were you able to use the video card to send out the right polarity signal? If so, did you find any other roadblocks where a signal generator would have been necessary?

were you able to use the video card to send out the right polarity signal? If so, did you find any other roadblocks where a signal generator would have been necessary?

To be determined... :(

EDIT: It worked once, but isn't working again. Now it's set to Mode 17. I'm starting to realize a stunning reality (and yes, Unkle Vito - you've preached it before :D )... Signal generator's really are the way to go. I suppose as long as they're programmable you should be good. Video cards don't seem to have that precision and accuracy to be able to "lock in" to the signal. It's all over the place. Even when you set the card to a specific setting, the monitor will tell you otherwise. I'm going to give it a shot on my ATI card. But I'm not holding my breath...

Last edited:
what kind of test patterns are we talking about here? I'm assuming that for white point balance (WPB) this isn't as important. I imagine it's important for geometry and convergence?

What kind of settings is WinDAS asking you for? (still haven't gotten windas to work - keep running into roadblocks, but getting there slowly).

btw interesting post from vito and cyberbeing here.

what kind of test patterns are we talking about here? I'm assuming that for white point balance (WPB) this isn't as important. I imagine it's important for geometry and convergence?

What kind of settings is WinDAS asking you for? (still haven't gotten windas to work - keep running into roadblocks, but getting there slowly).

btw interesting post from vito and cyberbeing here.

Yes, I'm doing geometry and convergence. No worries. I actually put the screen up and pulled out my LCD. I've got a game to make and music to make for said game. Fortunately, my brother is the artist and not I. Oh well. As much as I don't like this panel, I'm going to stop screwing around with the FW-900 until I can do a proper adjustment/calibration on it. Wife and I are talking about saving for a Vito screen too.

You use all eight of them 24/7? Or do you rotate their usage? Do you do any graphic work on them?

We use all eight (8) of them 24/7, and keep two (2) units as backups which are used 1/2 of the time. Also, I have one brand new unit in the wrapper unused. These units are not included on my stock inventory!

Deployment as follows Two (2) units in color matching/photo retouching stations, two (2) units as Color Reference Systems in our repair/calibration operation, and two (2) units in our testing stations.

All these units are calibrated and adjusted via WinDAS/WinCAT every six (6) months.

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

that's very impressive. Just as much a testament to the care they are given as much as to the quality of the components. Have you had to replace any capacitors?

I took my baby on a vacation. A 150 mile excursion to the GXL out in Philly. Shown here with ITman496 the man responsible for the Porsche gauges working.

http://i3.minus.com/iCvPhhU7w5q9Z.JPG
http://i1.minus.com/ibeaWyvOhl1mPu.JPG

Like a Glove

http://i4.minus.com/ibnftMr0TrwX2.JPG

***** yes :D
the cracked bezel makes it looking so shabby though :(
how many ppl. told you to throw it away and "upgrade" to an lcd? Did anyone appreciate it or maybe even know about the monitor?
And regarding your car backseat, there's that pic with the fw900 fitting perfectly into the hood of a ferrari, maybe you should get one ;)

how many ppl. told you to throw it away and "upgrade" to an lcd? Did anyone appreciate it or maybe even know about the monitor?
And regarding your car backseat, there's that pic with the fw900 fitting perfectly into the hood of a ferrari, maybe you should get one ;)

If anyone needs replacement bezels for their units, PM me and I may be able to set you up.

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

I assume it was well received. :). Lol at the flat panel next to it.

The people who could tell what it was in the total darkness took note. Didn't get any real complements until I was packing up and all the lights turned on.

http://s9.postimg.org/kuegqqpun/lawlrarrifw900.jpg << That picture.

Nobody told me that. They were just amazed I got it out there. Nobody REALLY knows what they were seeing. I did leave it running the whole two days with things like Wall-E playing. What colors compared to every lcd hanging around it. The Bezel is a reminder not to use FedEx for anything.

If anyone needs replacement bezels for their units, PM me and I may be able to set you up.

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

I remember seeing a replacement bezel a year ago for around $50. I am not really too concerned but thanks for the offer. Do you have many in stock?

Last edited:
The people who could tell what it was in the total darkness took note. Didn't get any real complements until I was packing up and all the lights turned on.

http://s9.postimg.org/kuegqqpun/lawlrarrifw900.jpg << That picture.

Nobody told me that. They were just amazed I got it out there. Nobody REALLY knows what they were seeing. I did leave it running the whole two days with things like Wall-E playing. What colors compared to every lcd hanging around it. The Bezel is a reminder not to use FedEx for anything.

I remember seeing a replacement bezel a year ago for around $50. I am not really too concerned but thanks for the offer. Do you have many in stock?

Actually, it was $55.95 from Sony Parts Plus for Professionals, but they are not available any more and we don't have any new ones, but several Grade B.

I have sent a few to have them re-sanded and re-painted with Neutral Gray 50 Flat Paint (similar to the Sony Artisan Bezel), which is suitable for low light/dim lighting conditions as it does not reflect light and/or glare, and they came out really nice.

I have seen bezels in Flat Black, and in some instances users have opted for removal of the bezels, but as I said in the past, bezel colors and/or bezel removals are just a matter of individual preference.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

I'm actually considering taking my beasty to a LAN party... Not sure though. I may just take the "dump" monitor instead (I don't have any spares - unlike some of you lucky bastards :D ).

Luck has little to do with it. Just eBay perseverance and a storage room. Paid roughly $250 for each of mine (3) and only shipped the first. Living in new york has some advantages. I suppose if you live in South Dakota there would be far less chance of them showing up.

Here's one going for under $200 on the bay. Selling out of California, ships worldwide.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Luck has little to do with it. Just eBay perseverance and a storage room. Paid roughly $250 for each of mine (3) and only shipped the first. Living in new york has some advantages. I suppose if you live in South Dakota there would be far less chance of them showing up.

Missouri for me. :D

I just picked up a new 24" Dell u2412m IPS monitor. This is my first IPS monitor and I really like the colors and crispness. There's one thing that is bothering me though and that's IPS glow. Which brings me to this thread. If I could get my hands on one of these 24" widescreen Sony CRT's and I don't mind the size and weight, is there really any other disadvantage when compared to an LED IPS monitor?

I just picked up a new 24" Dell u2412m IPS monitor. This is my first IPS monitor and I really like the colors and crispness. There's one thing that is bothering me though and that's IPS glow. Which brings me to this thread. If I could get my hands on one of these 24" widescreen Sony CRT's and I don't mind the size and weight, is there really any other disadvantage when compared to an LED IPS monitor?

radiation and emission maybe.. Buts its debatable if they got any efect on health.

Also, since CRT tech is no longer supported, its risky to buy one second hand. I got Lucky to buy refurbished one at A- quality..

Ips monitor have good image usually out of the box, second hand CRT might need option adjustments for convergence, sharpness, color temperature and bias etc etc.

Some second hand crt can easily be fint tuned using only software and the buttons on he crt itself. Other need a thorough calibration with a windas cable or manipulation of the focus pots on the monitors itself before image is 100% as it should be.

If a crt breaks its very hard these days to find replacement parts, or even a person that can fix CRT decently.

So, be careful when buying second hand crt and test it thoroughly before spending money.

So the advantage is the really fast refresh rate? Can I find a trinitron on craigslist that will be good? Or that can be made good?

So the advantage is the really fast refresh rate? Can I find a trinitron on craigslist that will be good? Or that can be made good?

yes you can. but take into account that 95+% of all CRT are junk, just like 95% of all flat panels are junk.

Do some research on what the best CRT manufacturers and models are.

Sony GDM-FW900 is the PINNACLE of CRT technology and still easily competes with the best IPS panels, even though those ips panels can go 2560x1440 at an overclocked 120 hertz.

The advantage of CRT is its versatility. It can operate at any customised resolution and refresh rate, which is ideal to play old games (like counterstrike or so) at a custom res of lets say 1440x900 at 120 hertz.

About craigslist: there were plenty of fw900 sold on cragislist over the years, but now they get really really rare. You are a couple of years late really, to delve into CRT tech. But you can get Lucky if you live in a big city like new York.

You can also buy refurbished fw900 from accurateit (http://www.accurateit.com/index.php...oduct_id=1811&category_id=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2) or unkle vito (lagrunauer on this forum, but be prepared to pay close to 1000 dollar for a new one). It depends where you live to find good second hand or refurbished fw900.

You can also find very good 4:3 trinitron CRT with high max resolutions.

Like i said, do yer homework when you see a deal on a local secon d hand website, and look up old reviews of the monitor. When intending to buy anything, you ca Always ask advice here.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I've got a good condition Dell Trinitron 4:3 2048x1536 monitor and a poor condition FW900 that anyone here can have for free. No shipping, you come to pick them up. ZIP code: 17314

Back