24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

they quote 3.4 ms response time on an ips , which I would have to see to believe. Also what kind of ips? there are several cheaper variants now. Another question is, is it only 60hz ? It would need to have a very low response time (2ms - 3ms) , 120hz input, and aggressive Response Time Compensation / overdrive to compare to a gaming TN that has all three. This still wouldn't compare to essentially blur free / lack of FoV movement scene-smearing fw900 of course.

Gaming display with no advertisement as 120Hz? I must be missing something. ;)

Hi guys, I havent shut off my FW-900 in 2 years now.. is that ok ?
I just have screensaver on !

just curious, how are the black levels on your guys' fw900s, and at what settings?

ive managed, to my eyes, perfect black levels @ a high 10 brightness setting, with gamma increased a smidge via windows.

Mine is on 10 brightness and 65 contrast. The black level is not perfect because the antiglare is removed on mine. But good enough to beat any lcd.
Color is pretty normal in my eyes, ive using the advanced mode with Red 85, Green 80, Blue 85.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I havent shut off my FW-900 in 2 years now.. is that ok ?
I just have screensaver on !

Leaving electronics on all of the time can help the lifespan of it.

That's a LOT of extra power though...probably enough to buy another FW900... :D

Just a reminder that black level and contrast is affected by your room lighting. Setting a monitor to "perfect" or "as good as this monitor can get" on paper (or "on readout"/OSD) doesn't mean it will look like that to your eyes and brain in different lighting conditions. Calibration hardware for example is usually used right up against a screen in a dark room - which usually isn't the lighting environment, viewing angle, and viewing distance the monitor ends up in.
I have a window at the end of a wall in my computer/rec room which pours a lot of direct sunlight into the room , but I also keep a few floor lamps at that end of the room for evening and nighttime so that there is never a huge swing in the light level of the room. My desk faces outward from a corner at the opposite end of the rectangular room, along the same wall as the window. I also keep a lamp on each end of my large 3-panel corner desk, adjacent to the monitors but nowhere that they would show up as a direct light source reflected in the monitors from where I sit. Any considerable light pollution on display surfaces will throw off how you perceive settings, and can wash out their colorspace and contrast to a degree potentially. The relationship of your monitor to the light levels in the room will alter your perception of contrast/black levels/gamma as well. Personally I prefer to tweak settings to taste based on my lighting environment rather than go by raw numbers - though they are usually a good starting point. On my tv I keep three sets of settings saved for different times of the day rather than controlling the room lighting in my living room though.

^ yup, after snuffing out and blocking any potential light pollution, i cant anymore say my black levels are 'perfect'. my goal is, when the monitor is displaying a completely black image, to not be able to tell if the monitor is turned on or not.

after killing all the light pollution i could, my fw900 could not meet my goal; i could tell it was indeed on. the only setting which allowed for 'perfect' black levels was a brightness setting of practically 0, which is impractical.

at night i keep a small lamp on which has adjustable brightness - which i keep low - and then my fw900 appears to have 'perfect' black levels (again, with a pure black, full screen image the monitor looks like its turned off).

still curious as to others' yields, given as how black levels seem to vary between users (be it from settings, monitor age, etc).

edit: i too use the advanced color settings, ill edit this with the numbers once i get the time. my fw900 was pushing a bit of green prior to the advanced settings.

In the dark, I think your eye will adapt and effectively be able to see anything that is not an absolute true black. And we'll need OLED or such to achieve that.

But your CRT should indeed be able to achieve a black below the level of the ambient light reflecting off of the screen in a dimly lit room...

Is anyone using the FW 900 with HD7950 or 7970, does it work well? How do you create custom resolutions?

I have a 7950 and am thinking about swapping out my GTX480, originally I wanted to put this 7950 into my HTPC but apparently AMD cannot pull their head out of their ass long enough to make simple HDMI connections work and the other people who use the HTPC will not like to mess around. So I am left with using this in my rig and moving the GTX480 off to another rig. Cant put in the HTPC because of the heat generation I think.

Can anybody confirm that it's safe to get one of these?
http://accurateit.com/monitors?page...ge=vmj_naru.tpl&product_id=1811&category_id=1
I just failed to bid on an auction for a FW900 because the seller had locked it to UK bidders only (went for 139, pretty nice) and it seems that this is my next best option to get one.
Also, can anybody drop some info on the FW900 rebrands that are out there? I saw an SGI rebrand for sale at 350 pounds from the UK but I can't find any info on that specific model.
The rest of the FW900s that I've found pretty much go for double those prices, except for one that has a slight chip on the screen, which as far as I know is irrepairable.

Last edited:
Can anybody confirm that it's safe to get one of these?
http://accurateit.com/monitors?page...ge=vmj_naru.tpl&product_id=1811&category_id=1
I just failed to bid on an auction for a FW900 because the seller had locked it to UK bidders only (went for 139, pretty nice) and it seems that this is my next best option to get one.
Also, can anybody drop some info on the FW900 rebrands that are out there? I saw an SGI rebrand for sale at 350 pounds from the UK but I can't find any info on that specific model.
The rest of the FW900s that I've found pretty much go for double those prices, except for one that has a slight chip on the screen, which as far as I know is irrepairable.

Refurbished? More like used and cleaned up. I found a bunch of the FW900 at a recycler in the Chicago area and they sold them to me. I bought 10 of them and had my pick from several hundred. The funny thing is I turned down 40 or 50 of them because of a scratch in the Anti-Glare which I now remove from the monitors I use.

I have a January 2004 that is mint if you are interested. PM me and maybe we can get together on price. I also have a 2003 model that has some issues, it looks like the power or flyback is going out on it.

All GDM-FW900 tubes are from Sony

But there are also branded versions, one from SGI which is called FW9011
SGIFW9011grs.jpg

from Sun (GDM-FW9012)
fw9002qj.gif

and from HP (A7217A), all with the only difference in casecolor and label (treat me if im wrong)
hpa7217a7gm.jpg

All GDM-W900 tubes are also from Sony, but also here are brands from sgi and sun. And with the big difference the W900 is the first version which has no flat panel so no F in the name. Names from brands are GDM-W9011 or 9012

I have a January 2004 that is mint if you are interested. PM me and maybe we can get together on price.

Tube manufactured 2004 thats cool. Someone know when they produced the last tubes?

@ Myramond - Thanks for the info :)

Refurbished? More like used and cleaned up. I found a bunch of the FW900 at a recycler in the Chicago area and they sold them to me. I bought 10 of them and had my pick from several hundred. The funny thing is I turned down 40 or 50 of them because of a scratch in the Anti-Glare which I now remove from the monitors I use.

I have a January 2004 that is mint if you are interested. PM me and maybe we can get together on price. I also have a 2003 model that has some issues, it looks like the power or flyback is going out on it.

I'm interested, with one little problem - I live in Bulgaria and I guess shipping might be "a bit" problematic. If it's in Europe I should be able to arrange for a transport a bit more easily. Even better if it's in London, as I've got a friend there for the monitor to stay at his place in the meantime. I've got no experience at all with shipping large items, so if anybody has ideas - please share them now :) Otherwise, PM I guess.

@ Myramond - Thanks for the info :)

I'm interested, with one little problem - I live in Bulgaria and I guess shipping might be "a bit" problematic. If it's in Europe I should be able to arrange for a transport a bit more easily. Even better if it's in London, as I've got a friend there for the monitor to stay at his place in the meantime. I've got no experience at all with shipping large items, so if anybody has ideas - please share them now :) Otherwise, PM I guess.

Yes, sorry, I would want local pick up only.

I thought I read somewhere the last ones were produced February/March of 2004.

Sounds about right. By some time in 2nd quarter of 2004, they were no longer available from the usual retail outlets. (And ominously were no longer available for sale from the Sony store site for some time before then, though their page remained...)

A batch of new SGI branded FW900s appeared around September of 2005 or thereabouts from AccurateIT. That was the last large scale sighting I know of. (I probably would have bought one, but I already had new F520s that someone on eBay had gotten a hold of from Kodak surplus. Eventually I did get another FW900, which later went to my dad, who uses it for his video hobbies...)

In an alternative time line, where I somehow could get myself to believe that CRTs would be discontinued and that there would be no SED probably ever and no OLED displays for many years, I could have saved myself a lot of time and money...For video and audio obsessives, LCD and MP3 made last decade a bit of a tough go...

Hi all, I've been a FW900 (bought a used HP branded off AccurateIT) owner for a few years now, and have lurking this thread for a while as well and this is my first post. My question is is there anybody left anywhere that can still knows how to work on these monitors? I would be willing to pay decent money to have it worked on by a competent technician. Or help me try and diagnose this problem myself? I have a basic understanding of electronics and understand the risks and voltages involved with CRT equipment. My problem is that when the monitor has been off for a while, and has gotten cold, and you power it back up, the picture is overly bright and green (i have done the G2 voltage lower with windas and its fine once it warms up.) Also there's a sort of high pitched buzzing noise coming from inside that i can't really describe that slowly fades away as it warms up and the black levels become proper. It has been getting progressively worse to the point where the image will zoom in and and the noise will stop, then the monitor will shut down with flashing amber LED and you have to power it off and back on to get it to come back up. The brighter the image displayed the quicker it will "zoom in" making a static electricity "snapping" noise and shut down. I basically have to keep a blank black dektop and lower the brightness all the way as soon as i turn it on to avoid this. Once it warms up it seems fine. Also the colder the room temperature the worse the issue. Any ideas? Thanks!

hi i am planning to buy a fw900 from vito he says it will cost about 2400 including shipping to sweden however he dosn't accept paypal he wants a wire transfer through western union so i wounder if someone has had any experience with this and can tell me how to do it etc

i only have email contact with him as for some reason i can't contact him through his ebay page (also please note i am very aware it says he has no email adress but he told me through email that he has that text there as he has gotten impersonated alot in the past)

i also wounder if anyone can compare the ones he sell if theres anyone who owns one he sold and compare it to a very expensive ips i am curious of the outcome he says no flatscreen can beat a perfectly calibrated fw900 so i am very excited in buying this but i have no idea how western union works i would much rather prefer paypal but he says he has gotten scammed so much in the past he no longer accepts it thats why i am asking for advise on how it works

zzcool,

NEVER pay with western union, most of ebay fraud use that payment method.

I owned 2 FW900 myself, 1 I repaired using WinDAS and the other one was like new.

Its very hard to tell if a FW900 has been tuned with WinDAS if you dont have the right tools, knowledge.

if you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

my tip: Its time to move on to TFTs

zzcool,

NEVER pay with western union, most of ebay fraud use that payment method.

I owned 2 FW900 myself, 1 I repaired using WinDAS and the other one was like new.

Its very hard to tell if a FW900 has been tuned before with WinDAS if you dont have the right tools.

if you have any questions, feel free to ask me

yes i know western union is abit dodgy but this is vito he is a very known person when it comes to this and he has also helped me alot with questions i've had email contact with him for nearly a year with questions now so i trust him

well its up to you then :D
paypal is the way to go even if I need to pay a bit more

why dont you just buy a high end TFT instead of this Monitor.

Its heavy, it needs to be warm up, use a lot of power, takes a lot spaces and eventually it will die very soon

well its up to you then :D
paypal is the way to go even if I need to pay a bit more

why dont you just buy a high end TFT instead of this Monitor.

Its heavy, it needs to be warm up, use a lot of power, takes a lot spaces and eventually it will die very soon

vito does not accept paypal

I do not accept PayPal and/or credit card payments.... Sorry! We have lost so much money with people stealing parts including tubes then filing chargebacks...

Is this is an issue then let me know now...

Take care...

Unkle Vito!

as for buying a flatscreen i already have a fw900 probably not calibrated as he says a calibrated one should get perfect non lit up black at 50% brightness no antiglare i am running 33 with no antiglare and i have a lit up black i still love my fw900 and i don't seem to be ready for flatscreens yet they are just not as good

the ones he sell are also brand new in condition which means they will hold for about 10 years before they die

The monitors I sell are not new... They are Grade A+ fully calibrated to Sony specs and with less than 2000-3000 hours of use. If you are expecting to receive a brand new monitor, these monitors are not! Please understand that before buying...

FW900 is a nice monitor, not doubt about that I had 2 myself. What do you do with your FW900?

how much is he asking for the monitor? If you know each other, I dont get why will he not accept paypal.

FW900 is a nice monitor, not doubt about that I had 2 myself. What do you do with your FW900?

how much is he asking for the monitor? If you know each other, I dont get why will he not accept paypal.

i play games in which the colors are amazing

and yeah i don't either but i assume people used chargebacks and scamnmed him with western union theres no way of doing a chargeback once the money are sent they are permanently gone

there are no TFTs which are as good as CRTs. but If you have the chance to test 120hz TFTs, they are not far off.

It will be your choice if you gonna pay with WE, I have said my opinion. People in eastern Europe use that to fraud internet trades, its very common, just google.

there are no TFTs which are as good as CRTs. but If you have the chance to test 120hz TFTs, they are not far off.

It will be your choice if you gonna pay with WE, I have said my opinion. People in eastern Europe use that to fraud internet trades, its very common, just google.

yea im not saying i am abit worried about using it but this is vito he is VERY well known here especially in this thread he has sold so many fw900's to people who are happy with them

well then just make sure the shipping has insurance

what he also said

The monitor will be Professionally packed with liquid foam and a heavy duty double walled box (cost is $125.00) and it is done at Box City in Pasadena where we have sent out units for Professional packing for the past 15 years...

No need to worry... I ship these units all over the world... And to this date I have not lost a single unit yet...

Take care...

Unkle Vito!

...fw900...it will cost about 2400...

Guess it depends on the strength of your finances and how dear $2400 is to you.

Though I certainly do not believe Sony's highest end computer CRTs have been beat, sadly even after all of these years, if my CRTs died, I'd probably make my peace with it and go LCD or LCD+plasma, multi-monitor, and big...

don th think any of CRT on the market on worth more than 300 euro now. depends on the production year, I sold one which almost never used for 280 euro.

I have moved on, and more than happy :D.
If you want color go buy a IPS, for gaming go for a 120hz. I could only fit 2 FW900 on my desk, but I can fit 3 24' now with plenty of space left

^ those comments always make me laugh. A FW900 isn't any wider than a 24' 1080P LCD. It is only large in it's depth measurement. Most desks can easily handle the depth of a FW900, and unless you push your LCD's way back to the back edge of the desk they won't provide any more room. It always amazes me people will switch out the most important part of a computer setup (display), and not change out a $100 desk to something decent. ;)

Guess it depends on the strength of your finances and how dear $2400 is to you.

Though I certainly do not believe Sony's highest end computer CRTs have been beat, sadly even after all of these years, if my CRTs died, I'd probably make my peace with it and go LCD or LCD+plasma, multi-monitor, and big...

to be honest money through youtube channel i cannot beleive it myself to be honest so yes i will be able to afford this the question is if it's safe to use western union and all that

i find it amazing that i actually will be able to afford it been on the hunt for a good fw900 for so long i have 3 fw900's already but they are not calibrated i wounder if i am the only one in sweden with 3 fw900 monitors

I have three Unkle VIto monitors. They are all perfect and like new. Definitely the best FW900's you can get. I can vouch that he is a great seller and packages the monitors very well for shipment.

I have three Unkle VIto monitors. They are all perfect and like new. Definitely the best FW900's you can get. I can vouch that he is a great seller and packages the monitors very well for shipment.

hows your experience with them? as i have never seen a properly calibrated fw900

and is western union safe to use etc do you have any experience with it?

Back