24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

alot of degaussing to be done and alot of configuration to be done.

I wouldn't look at it that way, it's more a few people wanting some specific things or, indeed, running into problems. Problems I haven't encountered between the 6 FW900's I've handled. Stretch the image out, play with its geometry a little, come up with your favorite color profile, and give "image restore" a go every now and then. Anticipate a month or more of regular use before the monitor fully wakes up from not being used for a couple of years.

When you're writing papers, set your resolution to 1600x1024 with a 100Hz refresh rate so you can lean back and relax. For movies and games, 1920x1200 @ 85 Hz.

The monitor is going to remember your different settings at these resolutions and switch between them with ease.

Text isn't going to be perfect, but it's pretty damn good. This monitor is brilliant for images and graphics. I play my 360 and Wii through this monitor and I don't think Nintendo ever expected the Wii to be seen through such a detailed display :p

You need to insist on one that doesn't have a scratched up bezel. Open up Firefox and F11 a full white screen and look very carefully on the screen for any hairline scratches or imperfections that kind of glitter as you move.

When you're writing papers, set your resolution to 1600x1024 with a 100Hz refresh rate so you can lean back and relax. For movies and games, 1920x1200 @ 85 Hz.

The monitor is going to remember your different settings at these resolutions and switch between them with ease.

Are you saying that whenever I open up a video program, the resolution and refresh rate will automatically change after I set it manually once because this monitor will remember that setting whenever I open up a movie after that time? And then after I close that movie-playing program, the image will automatically revert back to 1600x1024 and the 100Hz refresh rate after I've configured it back manually a couple of times? Same deal whenever I turn on a game? If so, that's pretty freaking awesome.

There is a button on the monitor where it adjusts the size automatically for the correct aspect ratio. So if you have a 4:3 resolution say from a game, you'll get black bars on the sides but the right aspect ratio. I play many older games too and it works well. Just when I switch back to windows, the button does not restore the widescreen so I have to stretch it manually.
You don't profit from the widescreen of course but the size is comparable to a 21" G500 which I owned before and the image quality is still the best you can get.
Don't bother with LCD. Especially when playing older games like Starcraft or Diablo, you'll get a crappy interpolated 640x480 resolution with a flat, unsharp look and a lot of noise destortion. This is one major reason why I prefer CRT.
Unless you get a somehow damaged monitor, which is a risk worth taking, you will not regret it.

I've had my fw900 for about 4 months now and every thing's been fantastic. I just bought a 360 though, and in 1920x1080 there is a noticeable vertical white line almost completely to the left. It is like a column of extreme contrast/brightness. The problem is non existent when using the res from my pc on any refresh rates. When playing with the centering I can move the picture over, but the line is still there. It isn't noticeable when I am playing games but it annoys me to know of a problem and have no idea what it could be.

While I was playing with the centering I also noticed that I was losing considerable amounts of horizontal screen area, is this normal/is anyone else having this problem? :confused: Thanks for any info.

I've had my fw900 for about 4 months now and every thing's been fantastic. I just bought a 360 though, and in 1920x1080 there is a noticeable vertical white line almost completely to the left. It is like a column of extreme contrast/brightness. The problem is non existent when using the res from my pc on any refresh rates. When playing with the centering I can move the picture over, but the line is still there. It isn't noticeable when I am playing games but it annoys me to know of a problem and have no idea what it could be.

While I was playing with the centering I also noticed that I was losing considerable amounts of horizontal screen area, is this normal/is anyone else having this problem? :confused: Thanks for any info.
I'm having the same problem, using xbox360 vga I can't get the 1080p image centered no matter what I do. 1280x720 works great, but I haven't been using the monitor too much for xbox since 60hz is just horrible to look at.

Ultimately, should I go buy this monitor this weekend? I'll have to spend up to $100 on taxi fares to get there and back, and I want to make sure that if I get up there, the monitor is in superb shape, and I plunk down two Benjamins for it and lug it all the way back to my dorm, that over time I'll be satisfied with it from here until kingdom come.

I'm assuming that was the wrong link because I saw a New Jersey seller.

I picked my my FW900 about 18 months ago now after driving it up to Midland, MI from the Detroit area. A lot of the calibration, etc is just obsessive tweaking, or people getting a monitor via UPS or whatever sight unseen and needing to do more work on it. If you can physically look at the monitor before you take it that makes it a lot easier.

All I did is display a convergence test pattern and tweak on it for a while. At 1920x1200 the convergence isn't perfect in the corners, but close enough.

I really don't like LCD blacks or ghosting, nor do I like the digital scaling running at non-native rez on an LCD.

Rather than renting a taxi you should be able to rent a car for a lot cheaper.

BTW: Baldur's Gate II looks awesome on it :D

I got my replacement FW900 in and it's fantastic. After adjusting the convergence via WinDAS and tuning the focus via the internal pots I think it's just about as good as a CRT can get. Accurate IT support was extremely accommodating during the replacement process. I can't recommend them enough.

Also, I removed the anti-glare coating as I mostly use the monitor in a darkened room and what a difference it makes! The stock coating blocks a substantial amount of light and slightly hurts clarity. When I removed it the display comes alive. That being said, I wouldn't recommend removing the coating if you use the display in an environment where you have strong lighting. The colors wash out a bit when exposed to direct light (i.e. a sun facing window, overhead halogen fixtures, etc). If you use the monitor in a low light situation then sans-coating is an immense improvement.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I found a monitor I love.

I'm assuming that was the wrong link because I saw a New Jersey seller.

I picked my my FW900 about 18 months ago now after driving it up to Midland, MI from the Detroit area. A lot of the calibration, etc is just obsessive tweaking, or people getting a monitor via UPS or whatever sight unseen and needing to do more work on it. If you can physically look at the monitor before you take it that makes it a lot easier.

All I did is display a convergence test pattern and tweak on it for a while. At 1920x1200 the convergence isn't perfect in the corners, but close enough.

I really don't like LCD blacks or ghosting, nor do I like the digital scaling running at non-native rez on an LCD.

Rather than renting a taxi you should be able to rent a car for a lot cheaper.

BTW: Baldur's Gate II looks awesome on it :D

Whoops, I meant to link to the seller in Livonia, Michigan.

I have the same problems with LCD's. Blacks just look so much more washed out, and I nit-pick over the smallest things like how looking at LCD's at different angles offsets the colors, and of course ghosting and dead pixels are also concerns. Besides, the resolutions on the FW900 are absolutely GODLY. I would love to see Quake 3 running on this bad boy at 2304x1440. I'm going to love showing off to my friends. If anyone knows of a monitor that offers even higher resolutions, please let me know.

I'd rent a car, but I think you have to be 21 to do that, I'm only 18. I could always get one of my older friends to rent it for me, I guess. Boy, I cant wait until I'm 21 so I can legally rent all the cars I want :D. What I think I'll do is buy a cheap monitor from craigslist locally for $10 to last me a month before the end of the semester, which is less than a month away. When my parents come to pick me up, we'll just effortlessly drive over there with my desktop computer with the good graphics card instead of my laptop. Besides, that was going to be my birthday present anyways, might as well let them take care of the bill. I'm sure that they'll still have at least one of the four available, and I'll just go check them out then. Definatley much better plan than spending $100 on taxi cab fares just to get there, especially if I end up not liking what I see. I dont like my initial impressions of their business though. I've tried contacting them multiple ways, and they have yet to respond to any of them. No business hours on the weekends, and even if you're doing local pickup, you HAVE to pay via PayPal, and they charge you 6% tax plus $5 for local pickup. Still a good deal for the monitor, a little over $200.

Well, I got the 4 displays and 2 of them are pretty awesome! Just some minor tweaking... the other 2 just need me to run WinDAS on them and they will be great!

Here is my problem, the two monitors that are working great for me... they BOTH seem really really dim to me... I have adjusted the contrast and brightness accordingly and blacks look great as well as whites... it's just that no matter how I tweak them, they just don't have much of a real GLOW to them... I have warmed them up for a real lengthy time and to no avail... it's like I have to strain my eyes because they are so dim...

Now, I am coming from an LCD which of course is a VERY bright monitor but these 2 FW900s are dimmer than normal. Any ideas? Will WinDAS fix this problem as well? Will WinDAS adjust these monitors to make them brighter and more vibrant?

At any rate, paying $268 for all four FW900's was a steal... especially once I get them all calibrated properly... I just have to figure out this dimness problem...

Thanks!

Well, I got the 4 displays and 2 of them are pretty awesome! Just some minor tweaking... the other 2 just need me to run WinDAS on them and they will be great!

Here is my problem, the two monitors that are working great for me... they BOTH seem really really dim to me... I have adjusted the contrast and brightness accordingly and blacks look great as well as whites... it's just that no matter how I tweak them, they just don't have much of a real GLOW to them... I have warmed them up for a real lengthy time and to no avail... it's like I have to strain my eyes because they are so dim...

Now, I am coming from an LCD which of course is a VERY bright monitor but these 2 FW900s are dimmer than normal. Any ideas? Will WinDAS fix this problem as well? Will WinDAS adjust these monitors to make them brighter and more vibrant?

At any rate, paying $268 for all four FW900's was a steal... especially once I get them all calibrated properly... I just have to figure out this dimness problem...

Thanks!

If you happen to live in Ohio, and you would like to part with one of your less capable FW900's, I could maybe be a taker. I need a parts FW-900 to fix mine.

Thanks!

WinDAS does allow you to increase the maximum contrast, but that isn't advised because of potential X-ray emission issues. If you use your displays in a low light environment I suggest removing the anti-glare coating. This will be a signifigant boost to the brightness of the display with a slight clarity improvement as well.

For more info search this thread. There is a step-by-step guide with pictures about half way through.

I am here at work actually looking at a CRT monitor... It's an IBM CRT 17". I have the brightness set to 0 and I have the contrast set to 100, maximum basically. It is MUCH easier to view than my FW900's at home. The brightness of this monitor is MUCH better.

At home I have the contrast of my FW900's set to 100 and the brightness set to around 40. If I increase the brightness it just washes out the colors... this would lead me to believe that my contrast just isn't high enough. Do these monitors lose brightness as they age?

I would hate to get rid of the anti glare coating... I think I will try using WinDAS to increase the brightness just to see the effect... but if what you say is true that you get an increase of X-Ray emissions... hmm... not sure I like the sound of that...

I am actually located in Kalamazoo Michigan... if you live close... let me know.. might be able to work something out...

Whoops, I meant to link to the seller in Livonia, Michigan.

Sounds like the RAD recycling lady. That's where we picked up mine. They were pretty cool to work with. I haven't had any problems to date, beyond the slightly less-than-perfect convergence in the corners (and that would be fixable with WinDAS if it bugged me enough).

I play more Civ4 on it than anything else. 1920x1200 goodness. :cool:

PLEASE HELP just got my fw900 BEAUTIFUL!!!! i love it WOW but one problem ..... about 2 inches on the right side of the monitor is blurry :-( how to fix this without messing with the rest of the screen which happens to be PERFECT!!!!! PLEASE HELP

Look carefully. are you having focus issues or convergence issues? If you're getting convergence problems Windas will be able to fix it, if the monitor's actually out of focus you need to dick with the focus pots and you're probably going to need to settle for getting the center "good enough" and leave the edges somewhat blurry.

Look carefully. are you having focus issues or convergence issues? If you're getting convergence problems Windas will be able to fix it, if the monitor's actually out of focus you need to dick with the focus pots and you're probably going to need to settle for getting the center "good enough" and leave the edges somewhat blurry.

even though its only one side the other side is fine??

Sprak if he has FOCUS problems then windas won't do shit, and yeah if only one side of the screen is out of focus that's actually worse than two sides. As near as I can tell the focus pots adjust the whole screen in some sort of symmetrical pattern, so if you've gut focus problems unevenly you're going to have to settle for getting the center sharp and the edges evenly blurry.

I got this monitor (sony gdm fw900) for $150 2 weeks ago, used it two or three times then had to leave town for a week. when i came back i tried to turn it on but i heard this popping noise and it wouldn't turn on. i investigated and could see that there was some electricity sparking/arcing on some metal on the top, inside the plastic chasis.

when it was working the guy i bought it from had it in perfect condition, the colors and convergence were perfect, nothing wrong with it at all until the electricity popping thing.

is this thing a $150 dead weight now, or can i fix it? suggestions? thanks.

Considering that it's an electrical problem to begin with I'd say unless you're an electrician that's trained in CRT repair it's a new form of suicide to try to fix it yourself.

Well after watching craigslist since 2005 I FINALLY found someone selling an FW900!! The guy lived about 30 miles from me and I couldn't pick it up since I have no car but I managed to convince him to deliver if I paid $20 extra. In total it cost me $195. Not bad considering it has a mfr date of Nov. 2003, so it's one of the very last ones that were made. It was also previously used in the film industry for creating animated movies which I thought was pretty cool. Just wish I woulda asked the guy which movies. Oh well.

Cosmetically it's "almost" perfect, just one little chip off the top left corner of the bezel. Theres a couple very light scratches on the screen but not noticeable unless my eyes are really close to the screen and on an angle. Functionality is mostly good, focus and convergence are spot on, color is accurate, purity is perfect, the brightness will need a G2 adjustment soon but for now its fine. The only real issue I have is sub par geometry, the bottom 2 corners bowed inwards a bit and the top corners bowed outwards. However I was just fiddling in Windas and was pleasantly suprised when I noticed 2 extra and EXTREMELY useful geometry adjustments that are not available in Windas with normal Trinitron monitors. I am referring to S_PIN_ BAL and C_BOW_BAL, using those in conjunction with S_PIN and C_BOW I have already made the geometry a gazillion times better, I now only have 1 corner bending inwards a bit. :)

Overall I am extremely pleased and can see this will be an super fun monitor to use in the days ahead. I still can't believe I actually have one! Please don't pinch me if I'm dreaming!

Could a Mod help?

Edit: I know there's a bit of a FAQ in the first post now, but it's below the screen shots so lots of people probably just scroll over it. Also it doesn't explain WINDAS, changing resistors out, driver issues, HDTV compatibility. Though it's a very nice start and with permission I'd just as well take it as a starting point rather then going from scratch.

Were you able to pull off the adjustment FAQ??

I was just reading toompra's post about looking for this monitor for a long time and he finally got one for $195 ...... I own one of these monitors and reside in the Washington D.C area ..... if anyone is interested I would be willing to sell it for $200 ... Email me [email protected] ..... or just post up on here and i will try and check often

Hey guys
First post here. I bought this monitor from a company, but it seems that it was damaged in the shipping. From my research it seems like it was dropped and has become magnetized. The top right corner is green and the left side of the monitor is red. The degausser doesn't do anything. After fixing the problem manually, every time i turn it off and on again it would be the same problem. Is this monitor trash now? I really hope not. Is this a common problem with a common solution? I already got a refund and would like to keep this monitor rather than just buy a 24" LCD instead. Thanks for reading
I may have had the same problem as you.****Skip to the bottom for fix, I forgot I tell long winded stories that kill the English language before I get to the point**** The previous owner I bought my FW900 from said they had an unshielded subwoofer under the monitor for a long time. I used to get a blotches on the bottom and left side of my monitor. The reds would be green, blues would be red, so on and so forth in those areas. I would use a heavy duty degaussing coil on mine every so often and the color would be perfect, until I used the manual degauss on the monitor controls, or it was turned off and turned on which would activate the internal degausser.

Well, just so happens that today I was playing some vertical flying shooters in mame (doing some subjective research on a mame cabinet I'm going to build) and decided it would be a good idea to turn this bad boy on its side. This always warps the colors if you leave it the monitor on, so I hit the degauss and it fixes the picture mostly, same blotches. For some reason I decided to dust off the heavy duty degaussing coil I had bought off ebay and just took out about a year of slight annoyance that had decided to explode in frustration on the crt. I was placing the coil directly on all surface areas of the monitor (extra attention to the top and bottom, which were the left and right sides because of the current orientation). It is recommended to only use the coil for about 10 seconds on the monitor using a circling motion as you start from a couple of inches from the front of the monitor while you walk about 10 feet back, always circling the wand, always. I left mine on four about 4-5 minutes while direclty on the thing until the coil got too physically hot and then did the 10-foot-backwards-arm-circling-giving-the-monitor-attitude-walk. Run through a monitor color test, no more problem. Hit the degauss in the monitor options, doesn't wreck it anymore.

Truly amazing what a GOOD cable does for this screen...

I spent a great deal of time looking for a good cable recommendation and never really saw one in this massive post for the FW900. So, I take a gamble and bought one. Amazing how much better the text is now... HELLZ YA!

So, without further ado, if you all want a quality cable then look no further!

http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&id=ID4466716&partno=00679&search=DVI_CABLE&rsite=pccables.comcgi&rcode=

Very high quality cable! I did see folks mentioning Ferrite a lot so I made sure to buy a cable with Ferrite in it.

I hope this helps folks that are looking for a quality DVI -> BNC cable!

I spent a great deal of time looking for a good cable recommendation and never really saw one in this massive post for the FW900. So, I take a gamble and bought one. Amazing how much better the text is now, I can actually read it now... HELLZ YA!

http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&id=ID4466716&partno=00679&search=DVI_CABLE&rsite=pccables.comcgi&rcode=

Very high quality cable! I did see folks mentioning Ferrite a lot so I made sure to buy a cable with Ferrite in it.

I spent a great deal of time looking for a good cable recommendation and never really saw one in this massive post for the FW900. So, I take a gamble and bought one. Amazing how much better the text is now, I can actually read it now... HELLZ YA!

I came back here searching for what was happening in the CRT world. It seems since ~2004-5, when efficient mass production of LCDs knocked display prices down, CRTs started going for a fraction of what they cost to make. For the first time, anybody could afford a display that revealed detail only the elite graphic designers, photographers, and movie studios noticed. Though the flat display craze hastened the time it took for the latest CRT tech to come off lease, and out of businesses, it took some time for the word to spread that a display better than anything on the market could be had for a much cheaper price.

Unfortunately, Sony, which had been making the highest quality tubes, made a mistake. The 'brightness issue' even showed up in tubes without Sony electronics (may have copied mistake from a reference design? or is it really the tube itself?), and persisted in sets where the on board MPU had been reset to defaults. I don't have numbers for high end display sales, but I think Sony was the manufacture behind most of the high end tubes sold before the LCD era. Therefore, I consider my site's traffic to be a gauge of people running CRT, as a higher refresh, wider gamut, stereo alternative until LCD is replaced by something sensible.

After I put it up in 2006, traffic peaked in spring 2007, and has been gradually slowing down. As I don't add new information, I assume the people showing up are second or third hand owners who are trying to fix the brightness problem.The supply of monitors floating around Ebay, Craigslist, etc. is drying up. How many were sold to begin with? How many have failed, or been shipping damaged, or otherwise junked by recyclers? How many made it into a caring home where the brightness issue would be tended to?

Why care? Especially if you already have one?

Really soon now, the community is going to start shrinking. As it shrinks, more monitors start to fall through the cracks into glass recycling. When your monitor breaks, all the money in the world can do nothing to make the chance of a used monitor popping up any better.This thread used to be where users gathered to share new Windas tweaks and developments. But Windas could only fix so much, and now this thread appears littered with helpless cries of those who've encountered hardware problems. Lots of them just get buried, to no response.

The acquisition/replacement phase is over. The maintenance phase has begun.The race is on to map all anecdotal reports of failures to the schematics and circuit boards of these monitors. The average user who is so inclined should have a way to easily get up to speed with how the circuits work. Generic replacement parts need to be found , (flyback, some ICs).

This thread doesn't rank very high on Google for "GDM-FW900", but it's the most active I've found. Are there any other hidden spots where the CRT community gathers? I wish we had a proper forum that would give each reported problem the attention it deserves instead of being 1 in 3000.

What happens to the big GDM-FW900s that the current owner can't fix? I've seen people not get answers, but no one posts about how or if they trash it.

At least the circuit boards can be shipped, even shipped back repaired. These CRTs were not constructed to be throw-aways. The FW900 swings open for easy servicing. Detailed schematics are available. Sony still has the few non-generic parts in stock.

There are tens of thousands of people that I know of so far, and probably more that will be revealed when the search engine presence of CRT users is properly organized instead of scattered around as it is now. A good chunk of users would definitely be interested in send-in repair, as evidenced by the number of people who bought pre-built Windas cables. A smaller chunk may decided to specialize in servicing a board for some extra income.

All I mean to say is, there's a lot of community energy around these monitors, but it's being wasted in a 4,000 post black hole, or it's lost somewhere else on various forums. If things go on like this, these monitors will become extinct (No more desktop stereo graphics, unless you see desktop LCD being supplanted in the near future.) .This kind of product deserves better. The effort pours into this thread, it just needs to be organized and not forgotten. Anyone up for an owners club of some kind? It'd be cool to have the monitors registered by serial number, the reports of problems organized, specs measured, tweaks discovered, etc. I've seen such clubs for cars of a probably smaller following.

PS: Anyone willing to ship some removed anti glare coating? I want to do a spectral absorption analysis to reveal if Sony is using organic pigments to absorb the 'non-peak' phosphor emissions that degrade color gamut. If it's true, perhaps the pigments can be obtained and mixed at home to make a replacement coating. Of course , the anti-reflective film can only be replaced by purchasing a new plastic adhesive one from 3M (AR films are sputter coated). I don't know if any AR film, or screen filter on the commercial market has pigments that filter 'non-peak' phosphor emissions. All seem to be at least neutral density, if they don't add some other arbitrary tint.

PS: Anyone willing to ship some removed anti glare coating? I want to do a spectral absorption analysis to reveal if Sony is using organic pigments to absorb the 'non-peak' phosphor emissions that degrade color gamut. If it's true, perhaps the pigments can be obtained and mixed at home to make a replacement coating. Of course , the anti-reflective film can only be replaced by purchasing a new plastic adhesive one from 3M (AR films are sputter coated). I don't know if any AR film, or screen filter on the commercial market has pigments that filter 'non-peak' phosphor emissions. All seem to be at least neutral density, if they don't add some other arbitrary tint.

I have mine that I just took off today....you can have it..and I would love to know where I can buy a new one if you happen to know that.

I spent a great deal of time looking for a good cable recommendation and never really saw one in this massive post for the FW900. So, I take a gamble and bought one. Amazing how much better the text is now... HELLZ YA!

I guess you didn't read my post then!

Sorry about the AR coating. I just took mine off last week and tossed it in the ca. It appeared to be a tint to the plastic and a sprayed on coating. I tried removing the sprayed on portion with isopropyl alcohol but was too much work to get it all off. It was kinda black like graphite. This left over a heavily tinted piece of plastic sheet. I could turn my brightness way down after taking if off. It is highly receptable to reflections now. I may add a 3m film again in the future without the tint in it. I did this on my NAV system screen in my car and it works great. However, if I don't have to I won't. The screen is even more magnificent with the coating off. Razer sharp and BRIGHT!! Colors more vivid, etc.

Sorry about the AR coating. I just took mine off last week and tossed it in the ca. It appeared to be a tint to the plastic and a sprayed on coating. I tried removing the sprayed on portion with isopropyl alcohol but was too much work to get it all off. It was kinda black like graphite. This left over a heavily tinted piece of plastic sheet. I could turn my brightness way down after taking if off. It is highly receptable to reflections now. I may add a 3m film again in the future without the tint in it. I did this on my NAV system screen in my car and it works great. However, if I don't have to I won't. The screen is even more magnificent with the coating off. Razer sharp and BRIGHT!! Colors more vivid, etc.

Well, I'm also now using my FW 900 with the anti glare coating removed and it still looks great...and no more annoying scratch..:)

On another note, I hooked up my BNC cable and I cant get a picture...do I need to change anything to make it work?

All I mean to say is, there's a lot of community energy around these monitors, but it's being wasted in a 4,000 post black hole, or it's lost somewhere else on various forums. If things go on like this, these monitors will become extinct (No more desktop stereo graphics, unless you see desktop LCD being supplanted in the near future.) .This kind of product deserves better. The effort pours into this thread, it just needs to be organized and not forgotten. Anyone up for an owners club of some kind? It'd be cool to have the monitors registered by serial number, the reports of problems organized, specs measured, tweaks discovered, etc. I've seen such clubs for cars of a probably smaller following.

You are very right, this thread contains a lot of good info but with it scattered over so many pages of posts it's pretty much useless, organization is definitely needed. I think an owners club sounds like a great idea. I could probably contribute a good amount to it since I own a total of 4 Trinitron CRT's and have experience with several others as well. (Diamondtrons etc..). I've also logged a lot of time with Windas and know it inside out.

I have mine that I just took off today....you can have it..and I would love to know where I can buy a new one if you happen to know that.

Yes please do send him the coating for analysis, I'd be very interested to find out if it could be suitably replaced. I noticed a couple more scratches on the screen of my newly acquired FW900, they don't bother me that much but it would still be great to have a perfect screen.

I'd remove the coating now but when I did that with my G520 I was not too pleased with the result. The extra glare wasn't an issue but I found even a small amount of light on in the room made the picture look washed out. It only looked good to me with all lights off. Maybe the FW900 is different somehow but I'm not sure I wanna risk it.

You are very right, this thread contains a lot of good info but with it scattered over so many pages of posts it's pretty much useless, organization is definitely needed. I think an owners club sounds like a great idea. I could probably contribute a good amount to it since I own a total of 4 Trinitron CRT's and have experience with several others as well. (Diamondtrons etc..). I've also logged a lot of time with Windas and know it inside out.

Yeah, Maybe a CRT-wiki would be a good idea. It would also be a good collected place for people to deal in second-hand monitors.

Back