24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/sys/486838774.html

Saw that earlier and just about wanted to cry. :D

Been wanting one of these for years now, and finding this thread just makes me realize I still want one, so I've been scouring Google, eBay, and Craig's List here in Vegas hoping beyond hope someone wants to dump one on the cheap sometime and I get lucky.

Amazing monitors, perhaps the best ever made by and large. And I'm a big fan of CRTs, always.

A few mins later I found this:

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/sys/486694420.html

3 OF 'EM... good lord. :p

check the accurateIT website

i cant for the life of me understand why Vista has so many problems when it comes to resoultions and refreshrates with CRTs

I use 1680x1050 and only have the choice of 60hz and it makes my eyes tired faster.. iv tried refreshforce, and rivatuner. RT gives me some bs about EDID and cant change refreshrate, reforce doesnt do anything.

and ontop of all that i only have one option for widescreen res in cs1.6, and thats 1280x720, cant even force a res with the advance options. also other games have very limited resolition choices. crysis doesnt have 1280x800, which is what i ran at under XP

iv never had one single problem with XP and my FW900, upgrading to vista has had me pulling my hair out. iv read somewhere about editing the registery, but was very confusing so im not about to try that.

anyhelp would be greatly apreciated.. so fusterated why vista gotta be like this?

Well, the following really isn't too difficult. To my knowledge, it's really the only way to get high-refresh custom resolutions in Vista right now. Give it a shot!

Link

Well, the following really isn't too difficult. To my knowledge, it's really the only way to get high-refresh custom resolutions in Vista right now. Give it a shot!

Link
i didnt see that post, only the post that you were quoting. thank you. i am successfully running at 1680x1050@85hz on the desktop

Though i still have problems with games.. very few selection of resolutions (though in cs1.6, 1280x800 has appeared in the widescreen res options.. only had 1280x720 before, still dont have 1680x1050.. or anyother sidescreen choices, and cs1.6 (openGL) still runs at 60hz, i know this because my fps is capped at 60. crysis also running at 60hz, the game makes my monitor click. even though its the same resolution. (didnt happen in XP).

i dont want to edit registry without knowing what im doing. would copying XPs nv_modes into vista work? anyone tried it?

other then this problem vista is fantastic.

If I remember right, when using an FW-900 on an Nvidia card will give you 1600x1000 instead of 1680 x 1050. For all practical purposes, these resolutions are equal, and you should be able to get your 85Hz with the 1600x1000.

Right now I'm really debating between this, and the samsung 226bw. A local off-lease recycling place called RAD Recycling has them for 250 and local pick up, with a 30 day warranty. They are '03 models, and I saw at least 2 other people in this thread get them from that place with pretty decent reception. How long can I expect it to live if it was reasonably taken care of?

Got a 22' highend graphics monitor would never trade in for a LCD but I thinking of seriously upgrading to this model after researching a little more

If I remember right, when using an FW-900 on an Nvidia card will give you 1600x1000 instead of 1680 x 1050. For all practical purposes, these resolutions are equal, and you should be able to get your 85Hz with the 1600x1000.

I'm pretty sure mine is set to 1920 X 1200......@ 85 Hz....running off of a 7900GTX
And it looks sweet as hell too..:)

. How long can I expect it to live if it was reasonably taken care of?

I bought mine from a member here about a year ago.....It been running strong the whole time and it gives no indication that its gonna quit any time soon....Its a crap shoot really......they could last 10 years , they could die in a month.....its worth the risk though if you ask me.

For help setting up some games with custom resolutions for widescreen monitors (especially older games), check out the Widescreen Gaming Forum. They have some neat tricks available for running lots of games in resolutions and aspect ratios that aren't normally available in-game.

Also, look (Google) for a program called DirectRefresh 1.2. If you run this program to specify refresh rates for certain resolutions before launching your games and perform Hurin's tweak for the nVidia driver registry settings, you should be able to use your FW-900 in Vista with no problems. I've done Hurin's registry tweak, which enables me to use all of the FW-900's resolutions and refresh rates in Vista. Then, DirectRefresh prevents Windows from defaulting back to 60Hz during games.

I love my FW-900, and hope it lasts forever. My wife and I picked up a 22" widescreen LCD for her computer on Black Friday. The LCD looks fine for everything but games. I tried running a game on her PC, and it looked like ass. I didn't notice any ghosting or input lag, but the colors were horrid. The monitor can't really display black, which results in a glowing-grey washout of the entire display. It's not a great LCD by any means, being a cheap-o Envision from Best Buy, but it does make me appreciate my FW-900 more...

i didnt see that post, only the post that you were quoting. thank you. i am successfully running at 1680x1050@85hz on the desktop

Though i still have problems with games.. very few selection of resolutions (though in cs1.6, 1280x800 has appeared in the widescreen res options.. only had 1280x720 before, still dont have 1680x1050.. or anyother sidescreen choices, and cs1.6 (openGL) still runs at 60hz, i know this because my fps is capped at 60. crysis also running at 60hz, the game makes my monitor click. even though its the same resolution. (didnt happen in XP).

i dont want to edit registry without knowing what im doing. would copying XPs nv_modes into vista work? anyone tried it?

other then this problem vista is fantastic.

For help setting up some games with custom resolutions for widescreen monitors (especially older games), check out the Widescreen Gaming Forum. They have some neat tricks available for running lots of games in resolutions and aspect ratios that aren't normally available in-game.

Also, look (Google) for a program called DirectRefresh 1.2. If you run this program to specify refresh rates for certain resolutions before launching your games and perform Hurin's tweak for the nVidia driver registry settings, you should be able to use your FW-900 in Vista with no problems. I've done Hurin's registry tweak, which enables me to use all of the FW-900's resolutions and refresh rates in Vista. Then, DirectRefresh prevents Windows from defaulting back to 60Hz during games.

I love my FW-900, and hope it lasts forever. My wife and I picked up a 22" widescreen LCD for her computer on Black Friday. The LCD looks fine for everything but games. I tried running a game on her PC, and it looked like ass. I didn't notice any ghosting or input lag, but the colors were horrid. The monitor can't really display black, which results in a glowing-grey washout of the entire display. It's not a great LCD by any means, being a cheap-o Envision from Best Buy, but it does make me appreciate my FW-900 more...
Iv searched for Direct Refresh but can only find one link (on the nvidia forums) but its broken now. can you host it anywhere?

iv tried other programs with no luck so far.

Thanks for the advice, I am about to close the deal as soon as I get a reply from the guy. My last question is for people that run their xbox360 to the monitor, do you use BNC for the PC, have an adapter to BNC from the xbox VGA adapter, or use a VGA switch?

I've got my 360 and PC using the same monitor. Although it bothers me somewhat (mostly due to me being a PC gamer first and foremost) that I have the 360 on the DVI input and my PC on the VGA input. I just recently bought my 360 to get the HDMI so I'm using an HDMI to DVI adapter. Works great. Now I want to upgrade to a 30 inch monitor.

You know I also just realized that you might be speaking about the CRT... well, in that case, you'll need a VGA switch if you want to run two input sources through the monitor.

im stil playing with Windas to optimize the convergence of my monitor.
it seems that it never saves the setting after its been turned off then turn on..
I then search the net and found out that we should apply the "final_step" funtion in Windas in order to save the setting..

can someone please clarify this?
http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19549&page=43

Mike

im stil playing with Windas to optimize the convergence of my monitor.
it seems that it never saves the setting after its been turned off then turn on..
I then search the net and found out that we should apply the "final_step" funtion in Windas in order to save the setting..

can someone please clarify this?
http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19549&page=43

Mike
Hi Mike,

I address this issue in the part of my guide entitled "Saving Your Adjustments". . . check it out here.

i cant for the life of me understand why Vista has so many problems when it comes to resoultions and refreshrates with CRTs

I use 1680x1050 and only have the choice of 60hz and it makes my eyes tired faster.. iv tried refreshforce, and rivatuner. RT gives me some bs about EDID and cant change refreshrate, reforce doesnt do anything.

and ontop of all that i only have one option for widescreen res in cs1.6, and thats 1280x720, cant even force a res with the advance options. also other games have very limited resolition choices. crysis doesnt have 1280x800, which is what i ran at under XP

iv never had one single problem with XP and my FW900, upgrading to vista has had me pulling my hair out. iv read somewhere about editing the registery, but was very confusing so im not about to try that.

anyhelp would be greatly apreciated.. so fusterated why vista gotta be like this?

I have a FW900 together vith Vista Ultimate 64. Do this: -WORKS ONLY for nv cards -

{*}S 640x480=1;800x600 848x480 960x600 1024x768 1152x864 1280x800 1280x960 1280x1024 1600x1000 1600x1024 1600x1200 1680x1050=20; 1920x1200 1920x1440=10;

look in registry for:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlsSet\Control\Video\{GUID}\0000

(if you don't find this entry search in registry for "nv_modes"

There is a Key "NV_Modes". Replace the string of that key for the new one above( save old values before)

all modes with =1 is 60Hz. all modes with =20 gives you 100Hz, all with=10 are 85Hz. Compris?

I assure you this actually works like a charme. Enjoy 85 Hz in 1900x1200 (or 100 Hz in 1680x1050) in all games under Vista ..

If i could get a trinitron 24" CRT monitor, i would take it over a LCD any day of the week. LCD's gonna suck "for me" until they come with 100hz for PC's. Not just 40" TV's.

- Babel.

re: connecting pc and xbox. I have my pc on bnc cables and xbox on vga. I managed to pick up one for $50 couple of weeks ago. It was an hp model and the case was nicked in one corner, but otherwise perfect, immaculate screen. the guy wanted $100 til he checked it out and noticed purple corners. he said he could not in good conscience sell a monitor with a funky display. I asked how much would he take, he said $50.

It turned out to be just a landing adjustment was required. The monitor was Dec 2003 probably one of the last made. I got to stop buying these, I have 4 with this one. lol.

for those looking for one. it helps if you live in a big city. just look at craiglist everyday.

Correction, if you live in a big city "in the USA" you can probably find one. But here in Canada its a joke, you barely ever see them pop up anywhere even if you're in a big city. :(

I just got an email back from AccurateIT and the guy told me it would cost $280 to ship it here. $280!!! (and brokerage fees on top of that i'm sure). While people in the USA get FREE shipping. :mad:

Correction, if you live in a big city "in the USA" you can probably find one. But here in Canada its a joke, you barely ever see them pop up anywhere even if you're in a big city. :(

I just got an email back from AccurateIT and the guy told me it would cost $280 to ship it here. $280!!! (and brokerage fees on top of that i'm sure). While people in the USA get FREE shipping. :mad:

Hmm, I can't seem to sell mine. Anyone in Southern Cali that is looking for one? $200 and it's yours.

I think I am gonna pick a refurb A- up from accurateit....

just want to ask everyone since I will be picking up a new cable for this even though I have DVI to VGA adapters....should I get a DVI to BNC cable or a DVI to VGA?

I have a FW900 together vith Vista Ultimate 64. Do this: -WORKS ONLY for nv cards -

{*}S 640x480=1;800x600 848x480 960x600 1024x768 1152x864 1280x800 1280x960 1280x1024 1600x1000 1600x1024 1600x1200 1680x1050=20; 1920x1200 1920x1440=10;

look in registry for:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlsSet\Control\Video\{GUID}\0000

(if you don't find this entry search in registry for "nv_modes"

There is a Key "NV_Modes". Replace the string of that key for the new one above( save old values before)

all modes with =1 is 60Hz. all modes with =20 gives you 100Hz, all with=10 are 85Hz. Compris?

I assure you this actually works like a charme. Enjoy 85 Hz in 1900x1200 (or 100 Hz in 1680x1050) in all games under Vista ..
yeah i ahve successfully edited the nv_modes but gaming still isnt was it was on XP.

cs1.6 for example. i only have 3 widescreen resolution options, 1280x800 being the highest, i cannot run the game at 1680x1050, even if i use the advanced options -width and -hight commands. with steam under XP there were all the resolutions that were available with the OS. crysis also has limited selection of resolutions. these only 2 games i have installed atm.

some registry file i would assume is causing this. there has to be a fix that allows games to beable to use the resolutions that the OS can.

not to mention the annoying 60hz crap. the only way to force my choice of hz in games is with with a app that has to be running at all times.. and reverts my desktop to 1280x800 after exiting game because thats the highest widescreen res cs will run at... ugh.

well after arguing with myself for a while I went ahead and ordered the FW9012 (HP OEM) from accurateit....its a refurb a-

They are so close to me that according to bax shippings calculator at least if it gets out today I should have it tomorrow...

well after arguing with myself for a while I went ahead and ordered the FW9012 (HP OEM) from accurateit....its a refurb a-

They are so close to me that according to bax shippings calculator at least if it gets out today I should have it tomorrow...

For $500? That is a little steep.

well I wanted one with 0 screen damage and the 1 year warranty was a plus....free shipping too...

I am horrible with screen damage...if there is so much as a knick in the screen my eyes go straight to it...same with LCD! I seen a dead pixel on the L246WP and I could not stand it! my eyes went straight to it every time...I know it should not be that much of a bother but it is...

Besides, I do not think it is that much compared to what they generally go for used (not refurbed) with no warranty....

high demand, plus, these used to be $2100 units

i think people are finally realizing that lcd's suck for gaming and photo work and people are used to big widescreen displays now because they are becoming the norm

Dunan said:
i think people are finally realizing that lcd's suck for gaming and photo work and people are used to big widescreen displays now because they are becoming the norm

Word!

- Babel.

Well I called and apparently they have been rather busy so it wont be making it out until tomorrow :(

So it looks like it will sitting in a bax warehouse or truck over the weekend...once monday rolls around though....well this way I guess I have time to move my desk into the corner and then brace it...

I am really not a fan of the beige HP but I will be damned if I am paying $699 for the same monitor in silver with the Sony brand....$50-$75 more I might have gone for to be completely honest but silver exterior + sony logo /= $200...If this monitor were used for LAN's (HAHA! :) ) I might bother with disassembling it to paint it black or something but really it is just sitting on my desk and if anyone complains about how ugly it is I can just smack them upside the head....

well I wanted one with 0 screen damage and the 1 year warranty was a plus....free shipping too...

I am horrible with screen damage...if there is so much as a knick in the screen my eyes go straight to it...same with LCD! I seen a dead pixel on the L246WP and I could not stand it! my eyes went straight to it every time...I know it should not be that much of a bother but it is...

Besides, I do not think it is that much compared to what they generally go for used (not refurbed) with no warranty....

Yes, i already have the HP version. I like it a lot, but that was only after i tweaked the hell out of the colors via winDAS.

I'm looking for another one so i don't have to lug it around between my two places. But i won't pay more then $300 for one. $500 is about the same price for a new Dell 2407 LCD. And i cannot justify paying $500 for a used monitor.

Yes, i already have the HP version. I like it a lot, but that was only after i tweaked the hell out of the colors via winDAS.

I'm looking for another one so i don't have to lug it around between my two places. But i won't pay more then $300 for one. $500 is about the same price for a new Dell 2407 LCD. And i cannot justify paying $500 for a used monitor.
refurbished...

I think once the warranty is up I am going to disassemble it and paint it flat black with some of that duplicolor vinyl dye....

refurbished...

I think once the warranty is up I am going to disassemble it and paint it flat black with some of that duplicolor vinyl dye....

By USED, i meant: NOT NEW. And I still consider REFURBISHED used.

But anyway, good luck with your monitor. Hopefully there is no problems with it.

And good idea on painting the shell. I've thought about painting it black also, but too much of a pain taking the shell completely off.

By USED, i meant: NOT NEW. And I still consider REFURBISHED used.

But anyway, good luck with your monitor. Hopefully there is no problems with it.

And good idea on painting the shell. I've thought about painting it black also, but too much of a pain taking the shell completely off.
well the service manual seems to have disassembly pretty well covered....I have done other plastic projects with duplicolor vinyl dye....it is awesome stuff because all the preparation needed is a good cleaning and then you just spray on even coats and it is absorbed into the plastic and is pretty much scratch resistant unless you gouge it with a knife. What else is nice about the paint is that it always looks like it came from the factory in that color because doing it with the dye leaves the plastic texture in tact (as opposed to sanding it off and priming).

and now to jump back to talking specifically about the monitor....with all the stuff they say they do before they ship it out I should not have to mess with focusing, convergence, or anything at first...just getting my colors right...that is if they do well at configuring that stuff...

also have you checked HP's prices for a refurb :p $2,300 http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/s...A7217A&Smethod=1&sRefAsp=Search_Multi_Product (click on list all parts and it will be at the very top...)

also have you checked HP's prices for a refurb :p $2,300

Are you sure it's refurbished?

They are for sale at amazon.com and the seller's own site has more.

If I rremember correctly the seller is in Columbus, Ohio.

;);););););););););););):):):):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Well he delayed shipment again :(. Yesterday he told me it was scheduled for today and now he said its scheduled for monday....I guess it is better this way so it does not have to sit in a Bax Global truck in the cold over the weekend....but still I was expecting it on monday....

Curious, how have those who purchased their FW900 monitors for Accuraiteit feel about the product? Did it come working perfectly without the need of convergence tuning and sharpening?

Getting a new rig at years end (maybe February if the new Nvidia 9800 really does come out as Digitimes reported), planning to nab a refurbished a- grade fw900 for 700 from Accurateit. Comes with a 1 year warranty, hopefully the monitor will last me through out till OLED/FED take the market place.

For those who have purchased from accurateit, how do you feel about the quality of the monitor? Also, if possible, how long have you had it and is it still running flawlessly? 700 for a refurbed monitor is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. But I despise LCD's, and really do not want to make the jump. After all, I take my gaming, as well as my video editing/graphics design seriously...and input lag/response issues is not good for either of them.

I would seriously consider getting the HP for $499 it is the exact same monitor and same grade with a different shell...(and even at $500 the price was starting to get up there).

Also, in response to your question on needing to adjust convergence, color, focus, etc. I remember seeing on their site all the stuff they do to a reconditioned monitor but I can not find it now...wait there it is.

Reconditioning is a multi stage process, which consists of
a. Initial testing
b. Internal vacuum cleaning
c. electronic repair (when applicable), some models have new (updated) high voltage and other components installed in order to insure reliable long term operation
d. focus, color gain and convergence tuning
e. exterior cleaning and detailing
f. overnight burn-in test

Mine should be here Tuesday so I can not yet tell you whether they are good at calibrating these (or whether they even do for sure)...but they do at least claim to do so on refurbs....

For those who have purchased from accurateit, how do you feel about the quality of the monitor? Also, if possible, how long have you had it and is it still running flawlessly? 700 for a refurbed monitor is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. But I despise LCD's, and really do not want to make the jump. After all, I take my gaming, as well as my video editing/graphics design seriously...and input lag/response issues is not good for either of them.

There's always the option of the P1130/G520 - 21" not widescreen, but that doesn't stop me from adjusting the vertical screen size to fake a 19" viewable 16:10 widescreen in games that support it. I'm not sure how much worse it is than the FW900 as I've never used it, but I love the black levels and color reproduction.

Still the same risks though, but a cheaper risk most likely.. I have two of them, one for $150 and one for $100 both on ebay. One has a bluish tint that I can't get to go away (haven't tried messing with the colors too much, just color temperature), but the other is perfect and has been for 2.5 years, even after my couch dropped it onto a concrete floor. Just had to pop the casing back into place a little and it looks the same as before :)

Back