24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

Has anyone ever tried to buff or fill an antiglare scratch with liquid car wax?

Has anyone taken this monitor apart and found that the antiglare coating can be peeled off or anything simple like that?

Thanks.

Well, after getting a defective cable from Pacific Custom Cable. . . then having them not move on my RMA for several weeks, then getting a refund check (-20% for restocking fee!) instead of a replacement cable. . . I had given up on getting a DVI-A to BNC-5 cable.

But, on a whim, I ordered one from Blue Jeans Cable a few nights ago. It arrived today and looks sweet.

The cable itself is very thick. The thickest video cable I've ever seen. So the shielding should be top-notch. Of course, I can't tell how "early" the five individual wires break out within the main cable. . . but based on the overall quality of the cable, I'd think they did it right.

Ironically, I'm without my DVI-enabled video cards right now! I had sold my 7800gtxes for some 8800gtxes. But those are now on their way back from BFG (expected early next week). But, as soon as I can give this cable a try, I'll let you know if I see any enhancement to image quality (unlikely, but would be nice!).

Would I have any problems hooking up a wii, ps3, or xbox360 via a bnc to component cable? Could I get 720p out of the ps3 or 360 that way?

Orange.exe said:
Would I have any problems hooking up a wii, ps3, or xbox360 via a bnc to component cable? Could I get 720p out of the ps3 or 360 that way?

Hrm im not sure how that would work being BNC is 5 cables and Component is 3, I tried buying RCA to BNC adapters and connected my 360 via Component but it didnt work. 360's VGA cable works nice tho and Wii might come out with a VGA cable eventually , It happened with Gamecube so you never know .. PS3 im not so sure about..

mathesar said:
Looks like MS put out a 360 dashboard update that fixes the 1080p issues some people are having , perhaps it fixes the overscan issue on the FW900? I dont have my 360 hooked up to the monitor at the moment to test it: http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2006/11/30/dashboard-update-aka-the-1080p-fix.aspx
Unfortunately it didn't do a damn thing. There still are large amounts of overscan with accompanying anomalies on the left and right. Why is MS having such a hard time with 1920x1080 res? I’m beginning to wonder if it is some kind of fake psuado 1080p.

Hrm weird but to be honest the overscan is very small, 99% of CRT SDTVs & HDTVs show less on the sides than what the FW900 is showing. You're not going to miss any important info in games being they're designed with a certain % of overscan in mind. Im not sure if i mentioned it here before but my XBR HDTV shows a lot less around the sides / top & bottom vs my FW900 and its never been a problem w/ gaming. This pic shows the overscan on my HDTV (which I have Xbox / Xbox 360 / PS2 / Wii / N64 hooked up to): Link

I'm getting more overscan with the update then before. About 15% worth of cropping. Not exceptable.

Also, the cropping causes anomolies on both sides of the screen that run all the way down vertically.

1280x1024 widescreen for me now on.

How can I eliminate the bloom effect on letters? Also, while playing "FEAR" I see ghosting when in dark areas. Is this normal?

So would you guys recommend this for a 360? Also, anyone/any store selling one for under 320 shipped?

could the original OP update the original post with all the models of all the monitors that are same as the fw900?

Ok, I am trying everywhere to find help for my issue, and since I am using one of these monitors (HP 7217A to be exact,) I figured that I might get a reply here.

A few days ago I installed a x1900 crossfire edition card to go along with my existing x1900xt so I could run crossfire. The bad thing is, is that whenever I am connected through the dongle (whether crossfire is on or not,) I get a bunch of faint, wavy/flickery horizontal lines of darker and lighter tone that scroll vertically across my screen which are more noticable on light backgrounds. They look like some sort of interference, and they are triggered by animation on the screen (refreshing a website, playing a game, etc.) I have tried connecting to my HP 7217A through two different DVI-VGA adapters without success, and I have also tried connecting to my wife's LCD (22" westinghouse) through the same adapter to her VGA cable, also without success. I've also tried all of the other normal steps, reseating the cables, reinstalling/updating drivers, nothing has helped.

Someone has recommended to me to try DVI, so I am going to try a DVI cable on my wife's LCD today (need to buy one.) However, even if that fixes it, I don't want to swap monitors with her, as I prefer my CRT's display and resolution! If the DVI cable does indeed fix the problem, what are the odds that a good DVI-BNC cable would also fix the wavy lines on my CRT?

(I've also seen a replacement dongle recommended to other people who are having my problem, but I never saw any sort of resolution. I've also seen some people just "live with it." Is my issue really all that common with CRT's?)

I got a DVI cable today, and tried my wife's monitor on my pc again through the DVI cable. And what do you know- NO FLICKER! It seems that the crossfire dongle definitely does not like the DVI-VGA adapter, either of my crt's or my lcd's VGA cables, or both.

So, I think what I am going to do in an effort to make my crt and my crossfire cards to cooperate is to get the most heavily shielded DVI-BNC cable that I can find and go from there. Hopefully the combination of eliminating the adapter, using a better shielded cable, and using the (supposedly) higher quality of a BNC connection will also make the flicker go away on my crt.

I see someone a few posts up mentioning that the DVI-BNC cable from bluejeanscable.com appears to be of high quality. Is there anyone else that may sell a better cable? I want this to work!

afaik DVI-BNC 5 cables are useless, since is DVI-A, so you'd get the exact result by using a DVI-VGA adapter + VGA BNC cable

kohan69 said:
afaik DVI-BNC 5 cables are useless, since is DVI-A, so you'd get the exact result by using a DVI-VGA adapter + VGA BNC cable
Yeah, but some of us like the idea of not having an adapter. I too doubt that the resistance introduced by the adapter will have any effect. But when you're having subtle image problems, it's worth a shot to rule out as much as possible. :D

I got my DVI-BNC cable from bluejeanscable.com today. While the cable itself looked to be of high quality, it did not fix or even lessen my flicker/interference problem with my crossfire setup. In addition to that, it introduced a new problem- text and icons have a slight ghost that is repeated two or three times extending to their right.

Thankfully, they have a money-back guarantee so I am going to return the cable. I think I have pretty much given up on getting crossfire to work with this monitor as well, which is a real shame.

Foe-hammer said:
I have the same cable, and it is a modified cable for VGA. It is VERY easy to do.

NVM, got it working. The hardest part was using an HD-15 male solder connector. The terminals are very close together. I'd recommend a small tipped soldering iron (I used the smallest I could find at Radio Shack because it was cheap) and patience for anyone trying to make one. I was very surprised it worked after I got it done! :cool:

Now I have 2 working cables since I already purchased one from goldenshop. Mine seems to display a little better, possibly cause it's only about 1.5' long and uses a metal hood instead of the cheap plastic hood goldenshop used.

Hurin said:
Yeah, but some of us like the idea of not having an adapter. I too doubt that the resistance introduced by the adapter will have any effect. But when you're having subtle image problems, it's worth a shot to rule out as much as possible. :D

I was very concerned about having to use an adapter. And I've got a very high quality 5 BNC to VGA cable I wanted to be able to keep using. Tried the first adapter, an expensive one I bought separately, and got bad ghosting.

Then I tried the adapter that came with my new videocard, and actually, the signal looks great.

(I had planned to try and have a custom cable built, but now I won't bother...)

Well, disappointment.

Finally got my 8800gtxes back from BFG. Went to use my new DVI-A-to-BNC-5 cable from Blue Jeans Cable. . . no workie!

First, they got the order of the colors wrong. . . they put the BNC in the following order: R B G W B instead of Red, green. . .

Oh well. . . can adjust for that easy enough (if in fact they got the pins on the other side wrong as well).

But the worse problem was that the signal was either non-existant or --the one time I got a singal at all-- it was garbled.

Rather than mess around with the BNC connectors and swap the synch cables (black and white cables). . . suspecting that the whole thing was manged thanks to the wrong color order, I just gave up on it. May RMA it. But at this point, I'm exhausted with my computer setup. :p

Did Dell make a variant of this monitor? At school I noticed a rather large Dell widescreen CRT with "Triniton" on the corner. The viewable area measured about 22" diagonally, which I believe is the viewable area on the FW900. I didn't get a model number, unfortunately. I can't find anything online about it.

Since there's hopefully another 8800gtx owner here. . . thought I'd pass this along. . .

--------------------------

Howdy All. Using 97.44 with no tweaks.

I have a widescreen CRT monitor. It worked fine with older drivers on my 7800gtx setup.

However, when I add the following resolutions:

1840x1150 @ 95
1760x1100 @ 100
1680x1050 @ 105
Etc. . .

When I click "test" as they are entered, they come up fine. However, when I actually select the resolution either through Windows or via the Control Panel's "Change Resolution Attributes", I get a lower resolution that scrolls or pans in a sort of "virtual desktop" situation.

If this were an ATi card, I would do what fixed this for them. . . go into the display properties and change the "Maximum Resolution" setting for my monitor. But there is no such setting in the nv control panel.

What's odd is that the test looks great! And, sometimes, I can get one of the resolutions to work correctly. . . while the rest continue to be screwy. Yet there's no rhyme or reason to why it worked. . . and if I remove them all and re-input them, that resolution won't work properly again. . . but another might! WTF? :D

Any ideas?

Hurin said:
Rather than mess around with the BNC connectors and swap the synch cables (black and white cables). . . suspecting that the whole thing was manged thanks to the wrong color order, I just gave up on it. May RMA it. But at this point, I'm exhausted with my computer setup. :p
the BNC connectors on my monitor no longer worked. i had the monitor for about 3 months before they just decided to stop working, so i know it wasn't the cable. i ordered another cable after that and still no go.

maybe your monitor has done the same as mine?

Hurin said:
Since there's hopefully another 8800gtx owner here. . . thought I'd pass this along. . .

--------------------------

Howdy All. Using 97.44 with no tweaks.

I have a widescreen CRT monitor. It worked fine with older drivers on my 7800gtx setup.

However, when I add the following resolutions:

1840x1150 @ 95
1760x1100 @ 100
1680x1050 @ 105
Etc. . .

When I click "test" as they are entered, they come up fine. However, when I actually select the resolution either through Windows or via the Control Panel's "Change Resolution Attributes", I get a lower resolution that scrolls or pans in a sort of "virtual desktop" situation.

If this were an ATi card, I would do what fixed this for them. . . go into the display properties and change the "Maximum Resolution" setting for my monitor. But there is no such setting in the nv control panel.

What's odd is that the test looks great! And, sometimes, I can get one of the resolutions to work correctly. . . while the rest continue to be screwy. Yet there's no rhyme or reason to why it worked. . . and if I remove them all and re-input them, that resolution won't work properly again. . . but another might! WTF? :D

Any ideas?

I sure miss the old style control panel. Oh well, for a work around, go into "Advanced" and then temporarily change: "Timing Standard" from "Auto" to say, "GTF." Then complete the process of adding the resolution. And then go in and edit it back to "Timing Standard: Auto."

This has been the work around for me...

Haste266 said:
the BNC connectors on my monitor no longer worked. i had the monitor for about 3 months before they just decided to stop working, so i know it wasn't the cable. i ordered another cable after that and still no go.

maybe your monitor has done the same as mine?
Thanks, but my old BNC-to-VGA still works. :)

Wow... This looks awesome. And the RAD Reycling place on eBay has them right now. I wouldn't mind driving over there to pick one up. :D

Does the monitor make a crackle/pop noise when changing resolutions?

General Crespin said:
Wow... This looks awesome. And the RAD Reycling place on eBay has them right now. I wouldn't mind driving over there to pick one up. :D

Does the monitor make a crackle/pop noise when changing resolutions?
Yep, as with most (all?) CRTs, you get a "snapping" or "clicking" sound as it changes resolution. My understanding is that it's the sound of a relay clicking.

Thought i'd mention that i was able to adjust the focus on my new HP A7217A without removing the case. The pots are visible from the outside by shining a flashlight into the left rear top of the case, and with a small screwdriver, they were easily accessible thru the ventilation slots. The metal cage inside the plastic case has round holes, and the pots are directly under two holes, which happen to be directly under two ventilation slots. It looks intentional from the outside, but i could just be lucky.

Looks like my FW900 will need a G2 adjustment soon , my brightness level has been slowly creeping up over the last few months.. I used to run it at 25 to achieve good black levels but I currently have it at 13 , My G2 value is at 155 so I still have plenty of room for adjustment ... I just wish there was a way to fix this defect permanently...

Other than this the monitor is still working great :)

beast said:
Thought i'd mention that i was able to adjust the focus on my new HP A7217A without removing the case. The pots are visible from the outside by shining a flashlight into the left rear top of the case, and with a small screwdriver, they were easily accessible thru the ventilation slots. The metal cage inside the plastic case has round holes, and the pots are directly under two holes, which happen to be directly under two ventilation slots. It looks intentional from the outside, but i could just be lucky.

I still have yet to adjust my focus (its pretty good as is but i think there's a little room for improvement) Ill let you know if Im able to adjust it from the outside, did you use any particular patterns & resolution when adjusting it? Im thinking it would be better to use a higher resolution such as 1920x1200 and fine tune it from there.

Hurin said:
Yep, as with most (all?) CRTs, you get a "snapping" or "clicking" sound as it changes resolution. My understanding is that it's the sound of a relay clicking.

My old 19" Dell that I used for several years before I got my ViewSonic G90f3 didn't make that noise. :( It really annoys me.

EQTakeOffense said:
I have one I'm willing to get rid of if the offer is right. Send me a PM if intrested.
Your not that far from me....I have one already, but could always use a second one ...:)

I don't want to insult you with an offer....The price range on these is very broad
let me know what you want to get for it thru PM if you don't want to post it
Thanks

mathesar said:
I still have yet to adjust my focus (its pretty good as is but i think there's a little room for improvement) Ill let you know if Im able to adjust it from the outside, did you use any particular patterns & resolution when adjusting it? Im thinking it would be better to use a higher resolution such as 1920x1200 and fine tune it from there.

I used 1920x1200, first with desktop icons, then again with a few of the Nokia monitor test patterns. It only needed a tiny amount of adjustment.

mathesar said:
Looks like my FW900 will need a G2 adjustment soon , my brightness level has been slowly creeping up over the last few months.. I used to run it at 25 to achieve good black levels but I currently have it at 13 , My G2 value is at 155 so I still have plenty of room for adjustment ... I just wish there was a way to fix this defect permanently...

My brightness has been slowly creeping up as well. I now have my G2 value down to 125 now. And with that i get a true black on my xbox360 at a brightness of 67, and 82 on my PC.

Back