24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

Haste266 said:
i also bought the refurb unit for $480...should be getting it next week
i will fill you all in, and take some pics. its the hp one so its the ugly beige so im tempted to paint it now that someone linked to the service manual. :)

it's the "new" beige though....it's not really that bad. It's almost more of a milky white than the yellowish beige most poeple think of.

Hi all,
I've been following this thread for about a month, with great interest... on a 14 " crt. :rolleyes: My 21" Sony (GDM900) went into a serious fit after 7 years of good service at a time when I decided to go for a new diy opty170 rig. I'm one of those holding out for better flat panel screens.
Ok... so, I decided to bite on that ebay deal 2 days before Thanksgiving (the HP one)... and boy, am I glad I did! The first thing I noticed after unpacking this big boy (it arrived 2 days ago) was how clean it looked. It's hard to believe it was ever used. No scratches, dust, stains or anything! Heck... even the usb connections were like new. Once I hooked it up, and went thru the settings, I got giggly.
So, was it worth the gamble?... y-e-a-h baby! Now I gotta hunt down a decent 2 gigs of ram for this box I'm building.

Would I be crazy to order this thing to go along with my Dell 2405 FPW? I wonder how much I could get for my 2405FPW on ebay.

The Dell is nice, but I'm a little bit disapointed in gaming performance on LCD's... so this CRT is very appealing.

My desk is big enough to support the 24" CRT as a primary display with the 2405FPW as a secondary display... holy huge desktop batman!!

PKFGimpy said:
Would I be crazy to order this thing to go along with my Dell 2405 FPW? I wonder how much I could get for my 2405FPW on ebay.
Nope. Definately absolutely not crazy. That sounds like an excellent idea. Best of both worlds.
Well, as long as you don't mind sliding the KB, mouse, and chair back & forth depending on what you're doing.
Of course, if you've got some engineering & mechanical talent the best setup would be a motorized monitor platform. Then you could just motor the things back & forth.

I just got this thing yesterday. I am definitly impressed so far. I got this to compliment my 2005fpw. As far as gaming goes, this thing is incredible. Once you get over the two black lines (the cords that hold up the mesh) you are good to go with this thing. After a little tweaking, this baby runs great, looks great, and was in almost perfect condition. Inly one little nick on the front bezel, that you can barely see. For 325 shipped, this thing pays for itself bery quickly.

Legion.

mathesar said:
Seems like the convergence is a bit off even in the center shot unless your camera had something to do with it (blue ghost image under letters & icon) I wonder if that DAS software would allow you to adjust red and blue convergence seperately, if I enter the service menu on my sony hdtv it lets me do this and numerous other convergence adjustments.

heres what it looks like on mine (center of screen):
convergence_center.jpg

the corner seems a bit discolored and washed out right?
If so i had the same issue, the way to fix this is to tweak the landing for that corner until you see the color get corrected. MY CRT came in washed out i was all but ready to cry until i found that setting and it fixed it..

V3|!UM said:
the corner seems a bit discolored and washed out right?
If so i had the same issue, the way to fix this is to tweak the landing for that corner until you see the color get corrected. MY CRT came in washed out i was all but ready to cry until i found that setting and it fixed it..

Not on my monitor but I know what your talking about , Ive adjusted the landing in the lower left corner on my HDTV due to those symptoms. Everything is great on my FW900,as far as geometry & convergence its in better shape than my 21" Sony G520P which I bought new 2 1/2 years ago, wasnt expecting that from a near 4 year old monitor :)

zandor said:
Nope. Definately absolutely not crazy. That sounds like an excellent idea. Best of both worlds.
Well, as long as you don't mind sliding the KB, mouse, and chair back & forth depending on what you're doing.
Of course, if you've got some engineering & mechanical talent the best setup would be a motorized monitor platform. Then you could just motor the things back & forth.

Hrmm, I am definately considering this.

Can anyone provide a simple comparison that contrasts the strengths and weaknesses of this display versus the 2405FPW?

I've been using my 24" LCD for a number of months now, and I've never really laid my eyes on a super high end CRT, so I don't know exactly how they would compare. However, the problems with LCD technology do bug me, most notably the 60Hz limitation and the poor black levels.

Is this display significantly better than the 2405 for gaming in your opinion?

PKFGimpy said:

I'd say so. Honestly I think it's the best gaming monitor ever made. Well, aside from perhaps projectors and large 1080 capable HDTVs.

PKFGimpy said:
Hrmm, I am definately considering this.

Can anyone provide a simple comparison that contrasts the strengths and weaknesses of this display versus the 2405FPW?

I've been using my 24" LCD for a number of months now, and I've never really laid my eyes on a super high end CRT, so I don't know exactly how they would compare. However, the problems with LCD technology do bug me, most notably the 60Hz limitation and the poor black levels.

I don't know if you saw my posts but I sold my 2405. Another guy has both too, he like this better for gaming. 60Hz and the blacks weren't big issues for me, well not next to the blur. So there you go... thats three reasons the Sony CRT blows the 2405 to kingdom come. Resolution flexibility for a very big reason number 4. Go on, join the I bought a "old-school" monitor until something better comes out club. I don't why the whole world wants sexy rather than image quality but they can keep their new screens.

Screen preference is an opinion, but I'd bet half the people that will go as far as to say a 2405FPW is a better gaming monitor are probably deluding themselves. I mean they blur and there is input lag. I mean come on. Apologies to those that will put up with the cons for the what they like about their LCDs, the pros and cons are what are facts. For most as it pertains to gaming, an LCD has the cards stacked against it compared to one of these.

texuspete00: said:
I don't know if you saw my posts but I sold my 2405. Another guy has both too, he like this better for gaming. 60Hz and the blacks weren't big issues for me, well not next to the blur. So there you go... thats three reasons the Sony CRT blows the 2405 to kingdom come. Resolution flexibility for a very big reason number 4. Go on, join the I bought a "old-school" monitor until something better comes out club. I don't why the whole world wants sexy rather than image quality but they can keep their new screens.

Screen preference is an opinion, but I'd bet half the people that will go as far as to say a 2405FPW is a better gaming monitor are probably deluding themselves. I mean they blur and there is input lag. I mean come on. Apologies to those that will put up with the cons for the what they like about their LCDs, the pros and cons are what are facts. For most as it pertains to gaming, an LCD has the cards stacked against it compared to one of these.
I had a Sony 24" for nearly 8 years, and it possessed all the cool 'advantages' over LCDs that you and others described, yet I still prefer my current LCD display. In all of the pros and cons for CRT vs LCD that everyone in this thread listed, one that I haven't seen mentioned, yet a big reason I made the switch - radiation emissions...

No way am I ever going back to CRT even if a superior successor to the FW900 becomes available. By far the single biggest standout of the FW900 over the current wide-screen LCDs mentioned by users in this thread is in game environments. However, there are a lot of other applications one would prefer an LCD. And I hardly play any games at all. TBH, If I did play a lot of games, I'd rather have the 37" Westinghouse over the Sony 24", or even over my current display, and that's saying a lot.

APOLLO said:
I had a Sony 24" for nearly 8 years, and it possessed all the cool 'advantages' over LCDs that you and others described, yet I still prefer my current LCD display. In all of the pros and cons for CRT vs LCD that everyone in this thread listed, one that I haven't seen mentioned, yet a big reason I made the switch - radiation emissions...

No way am I ever going back to CRT even if a superior successor to the FW900 becomes available. By far the single biggest standout of the FW900 over the current wide-screen LCDs mentioned by users in this thread is in game environments. However, there are a lot of other applications one would prefer an LCD. And I hardly play any games at all. TBH, If I did play a lot of games, I'd rather have the 37" Westinghouse over the Sony 24", or even over my current display, and that's saying a lot.

Radiation? Man thats gotta be the weakest excuse for not using a CRT ..especially considering its false ;) , But whatever floats your boat.

For those of us that care about Image quality over anything else a good CRT is still the king of displays, the 37" Westinghouse is nice but has worse black levels than the 2405FPW , Black level performance alone one of the main reasons I steer clear of LCDs,It was painfully obvious how important black levels are when I had an LCD & CRT running side by side (dual monitor) For those that dont play games and only work with text all day then using an LCD makes more sense..But I like to watch movies / HDTV content and play a lot of games so the clear choice for me is the FW900.

mathesar: said:
For those of us that care about Image quality over anything else a good CRT is still the king of displays, the 37" Westinghouse is nice but has worse black levels than the 2405FPW , Black level performance alone one of the main reasons I steer clear of LCDs,It was painfully obvious how important black levels are when I had an LCD & CRT running side by side (dual monitor) For those that dont play games and only work with text all day then using an LCD makes more sense..But I like to watch movies / HDTV content and play a lot of games so the clear choice for me is the FW900.
Black level isn't some holy grail everyone appears to make it out to be. I adore watching HDTV content on my current LCD (as do countless others), more even than on my previous Sony 24". It really depends which LCD we're comparing here. There are greater variances in display quality between LCDs than there is among CRTs. If you're a purist, and want the most accurate possible reproduction of video content, which includes contrast level, then CRT is your only choice. Having said that, I still prefer watching HD video content on my LCD over any CRT I have ever used, including the 24". It's a personal opinion, so there's really no point arguing a subjective issue.

i got a radiology licence for dental equipment and i can tell u that theres other sources of radiation that will kill u first, especially standing close to the microwave while it heats, if u gonna do that leave the kitchen or keep some distance. Even the ground has radiation, everything has it. unless u sit closer than 1-2ft u shouldnt worry much

APOLLO said:
Black level isn't some holy grail everyone appears to make it out to be.

Black level performance is VERY important to overall picture quality dont try to say otherwise ,Why do you think all monitor / tv / hdtv reviews have black levels judged..anyhow like I said when you have a CRT & LCD side by side you can really see why. You wont notice it when browsing the web but try watching movies & playing games ,especialy games like Doom 3 / Fear / Splinter Cell etc. the differance is even more dramatic when playing at night with the lights out (the way these types of games should be played). But you've already stated you dont play games so I guess you wouldnt know any better, in case you havent noticed the majority of people in this thread play games and are looking for a monitor for this purpose. You wont find many LCD fans here.

The only reason I even tried an LCD was all the hype surrounding them and how they're superior to CRT etc. Boy was I suckered into that..but at least Dell gave me a full refund so it was no loss to me.

Would I be correct in assuming this monitor is the same as the one we're discussing, except this one isn't completely flat? 'Cause $100 seems like an amazing deal, and I'm going over to this guy's house today :)

*edit: just did some research; it looks like the GDM-W900 has a lower max res, and has had some noticeable blurring problems on the sides. For those of you with any experience with it, would $100 still be a good deal, if I just wanna watch movies/play games?

insanarchist said:
Would I be correct in assuming this monitor is the same as the one we're discussing, except this one isn't completely flat? 'Cause $100 seems like an amazing deal, and I'm going over to this guy's house today :)

*edit: just did some research; it looks like the GDM-W900 has a lower max res, and has had some noticeable blurring problems on the sides. For those of you with any experience with it, would $100 still be a good deal, if I just wanna watch movies/play games?

I've seen one in action. We had one floating around @ my previous job. They're nice screens, but no where near as impressive as the FW900. They max out at 1920x1200@72Hz and they're a bit curved.

I'd say it'd be almost the equal of an FW900 for watching movies, the significant difference being the curvature. I expect games won't be bad either, you just won't have the top resolutions available. There's not usually a lot of difference between, say 1920x1200 and 1600x1000 w/ more AA. I'm not sure I'd be happy with one on the dektop, at least not when I could cough up another 200-300 bucks and get an FW900. I've just gotten rather accustomed to flat monitors and I think the blurry edges would bother me a bit.

For $100 though I'd probably snap it up as long as it's in good working order. It'd make a nice X-Mas present for someone I know, and for $100 I can't imagine doing much better than a W900, especially for movie watching. The closest you'd probably get to it for $100 is a used 19-21" CRT or maybe a 17" used LCD.

zandor said:
I've seen one in action... I'd say it'd be almost the equal of an FW900 for watching movies, the significant difference being the curvature. I expect games won't be bad either... For $100 though I'd probably snap it up as long as it's in good working order...for $100 I can't imagine doing much better than a W900, especially for movies.

Thanks for the response/advice! I've already got a nice 21" CRT and a 19" LCD, but I have a TV card sitting around doing nothing, and I don't have a TV in my room, so I figured I'd just use this for a movie/TV-watching tube, probably with like Meedio or MCE on it.

:)

insanarchist said:
Thanks for the response/advice! I've already got a nice 21" CRT and a 19" LCD, but I have a TV card sitting around doing nothing, and I don't have a TV in my room, so I figured I'd just use this for a movie/TV-watching tube, probably with like Meedio or MCE on it.

:)
Ah ok. In that case, snap it up. I can't see any good reason to spend 200-300 more on an FW900 if it's going to be a "TV". Plus you can't get a 24" HDTV for $100, and that thing will do 1080p no problem.

Well I got mine from Lou and everything was ok until I noticed a slight yellow discoloration on the right bottom right hand corner. It measures 2" x 2". When I degauss it it goes away for about 1 second then come back. I purchased a degaussing coil which I am hoping will fix the problem. What is your guy's take on it?

airgreek said:
Well I got mine from Lou and everything was ok until I noticed a slight yellow discoloration on the right bottom right hand corner. It measures 2" x 2". When I degauss it it goes away for about 1 second then come back. I purchased a degaussing coil which I am hoping will fix the problem. What is your guy's take on it?

Fix the landing under the monitor menu. That should do it.

airgreek said:

I agree with the above post....

My monitor had the same problem, both the top and bottom right corners had a yellow tint. Adjusting the landing fixed it.

And as always, wait at least 30 minutes for the monitor to warm up before you attempt to make any adjustments

I'm not too thrilled about having to wait 30 minutes for the monitor to warm up though. that is pretty ridiculous. If I am on the comp for like 2 hrs at a time, waiting 30 minutes to get accurate colors is a long time. That leaves me with 1.5 hrs with accurate colors.

Leright said:
I'm not too thrilled about having to wait 30 minutes for the monitor to warm up though. that is pretty ridiculous. If I am on the comp for like 2 hrs at a time, waiting 30 minutes to get accurate colors is a long time. That leaves me with 1.5 hrs with accurate colors.
Well, at least it's better than a full 2 hours with an LCD. :D

YES that did it guys AWESOME thank you SO MUCH! This monitor kicks MAJOR butt! BEST CRT bar none that I have ever owned (owned about 9 of them)

Well, I got it! As a monitor, the text and stuff is ok, but movies are where it really shines. I wish I could mess with the convergence, though...

*edit: the W900, not the FW900

hmm i dont see it listed on ebay anymore, hopefully it'll be back, cant purchase one yet dont have a bank account or a paypal.

The discoloration might be due to electromagnetic interferance, aka cables not shielded right. I had a similar problem I had a spot on the upper left, Well i moved the GVA cable away from the tv cable (tv turner), i had a lot of wires near it. I separated the wire from the rest and it all worked well.

Inu said:
hmm i dont see it listed on ebay anymore, hopefully it'll be back, cant purchase one yet dont have a bank account or a paypal.

long live the FW900 series.

Leright said:
Somebody's revealing their age here :p, or you're just an ole timer that's grown tired of crt's :D.

Crt's needing to warm up is nothing new, and certainly not restricted to the FW900 line ;)

I can game on my crt right after i power it on, it just looks nicer/brighter after a few minutes, and after 20-30 minutes it's all gravy.

I might get one...Some guys selling em around locally for 200 and 270...I will wait till after christmas though....my viewsonic g90fb is holding me down for now...

I_Like_Em_Wide said:
Does he have a few of em? I'm from Cali too.

I meant guys as in more than one person. Search craigslist...Not sure about the condition of the monitors.

Anybody know if the guy on EBay ships to Canada?

Some places on the listing say "Only ships to Continental US" but in other places it says "Ships to US and Canada".

And I haven't recieved a response from my questions I sent him.

Nomikal said:
I meant guys as in more than one person. Search craigslist...Not sure about the condition of the monitors.

Oh - I see. I trust Lou and those guys but going from Mass to Cali is a long and bumpy road. They got the set that arrived DOA, maybe I should just find a local buyer. Hmmmm?

I live in San Diego and mine came in perfect condition via DHL. If you have butterflies just get insurance on the shipping.

ok, I need to know a 2nd opinion before I buy one of these bad boys. I currently have a p1110 sony trinitron monitor(21inch crt, you can find em on ebay) and I think its starting to go. Sometimes when I open firefox or other apps that maximize, my screen does a overexpand and the goes back to the right size. Its only for a second and it doesnt go wayyyy overexpanded. I've heard that is a sign of dying crt. I'm pretty sure this widescreen sucker is the only upgrade for me, I do not care for lcd's black coloring. Size isnt an issue either. So whatta you think?

I just ordered one hte other day, adn when it comes in, I'll be sure to post my opinion on it.

Back