24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by mathesar, Sep 13, 2005.

1. elvn

elvn 2[H]4U

Well like I said on the vga input I can run 1920x1200 at 85Hz which is the resolution and refresh I want in vista so I will just put the pc I use the most on that input.

The highest rez 2304x1440 is not listed. I will also have to swap my main multimedia/gaming rig with its 7600gt onto the vga input to make sure its not video card dependent. The old pc on the vga input which is showing the 1920x1200 @ 85Hz in vista has an old geforce2 on it.

2. elvn

elvn 2[H]4U

I put my 7600gt on the vga input. It shows up as hp A7217A. Refresh rates listed for 1920x1200 are 50Hz, 60Hz and 85Hz.

2304x1440 resolution is listed with a refresh rate of 79Hz.

I'm not sure if any of my powerstrip settings carried over, or if it picked up the FW900 xp driver I had previously installed when it was connected via the BNC cables. I'm happy with the high refresh rates and resolutions available this way in vista now though so this will do.

3. Hurin

Hurin 2[H]4U

Vista 60Hz Fix. . .

I was able to add 1680x1050 at 85hz by going into registry. . . I imagine you could do the same for 1920x1200. . . but for the purposes of this thread, I'm going to write about 1680x1050 since that's what I worked with. . . because I too don't recall having trouble with 1920x1200 once I just installed the built-in FW900 driver that comes with Vista.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{GID}\0000\NV_Modes

(keep in mind that GID will vary from user to user)

You'll see something like the following:

There's a guide to understanding this gibberish here (PDF)

However, if memory serves (I went back to XP so I can no longer check my registry), I added 1680x1050 to the second group (the one that ends in =F) and I was then able to select 85Hz for a refresh rate for 1680x1050 where it was locked at 60hz before.

Finally, the FW900 driver built into Vista should allow for 85Hz for 1920x1200. Those are really the only two resolutions I prefer (1920 for games, 1680 for desktop). All the games I tried made use of the higher refresh rates.

Edit: Duh. Obviously this is for nv cards only. :)

Edit: Actually, trying to remember, I think I may have just added my own custom entry and refresh rate after the *S in the beginning that said: 1680x1050=1DF; which should then allow the choosing of 144, 140, 120, 85, 75, 72, 70, and 60. But, of course, only a few of those will work. Looking at the manual linked above, you might also try 1680x1050=2B if you prefer 1680x1050 to be able to run at 100Hz.

4. Dunan

Dunan [H]ard|Gawd

I called the place that repairs them and they gave me some neat info:

The movie company that made “300” bought 40 of our units because “these are the only units able to portray the color accuracy we needed for the movie”

And that pixar, lucasarts and ILM uses these units for their 3D rendering scenes

In other words, what we have is THE top of the line best CRT ever made!!

pretty awesome!

must find another one:D

*salivates*

5. Hurin

Hurin 2[H]4U

Hence the last line in my signature. Which, in the middle of arguing something totally unrelated elsewhere on these forums, someone pointed out in order to make me sound stupid. I think he said something to the effect of: "It's not the 90s Hurin, get with the times."

Thankfully, several more knowledgeable people then piped up regarding CRT vs LCD and then we got back on track.

6. SJetski71

SJetski71 [H]ardForum Junkie

You can now add to your sig "official monitor of Pixar, Lucas Arts and ILM" ;) (food for thought ey?)

7. Hurin

Hurin 2[H]4U

I got one from him a year or two ago. It had a blemish on the screen. Rather than deal with a return, they offered me a partial refund and I kept the monitor. Well, I kept it and then sold it on Craigslist to a local person who didn't mind the blemish.

8. MrkXCeL

MrkXCeL [H]ard|Gawd

Robert Rodriguez has a couple in his at home movie studio. (Desperado director)

9. Dunan

Dunan [H]ard|Gawd

:confused:

well i'm not sure what the problem was with my monitor but at the moment it seems to have gone away (red hue on screen)
    I'm thinking it was a cable connection problem.
    all is well at the moment
    WOOT:D

10. Pyrocles

Pyrocles Limp Gawd

I'm picking up one of these monitors this weekend, and am curious about how it operates with Vista. Hurin, you apparently got your FW900 to work well with Vista using the above fixes. Were you using a VGA or BNC connection along with Vista's built-in FW900 driver? I'm wondering which type of cable connection I should use; VGA or BNC.

So Vista includes an FW900 driver, then? You don't need to attempt to use Sony's Windows XP .inf files or anything?

11. Hurin

Hurin 2[H]4U

I use BNC. It's a VGA (db15) to 5-BNC cable. So I'm using one of the DVI-to-VGA/db15 adapters that came with my video card.

It shouldn't be necessary to use BNC to get any of the above to work. In fact, just using standard VGA/db15 will probably make it easier since then Vista will probably use PnP to install the Sony FW900 driver.

All I know regarding the driver is that the four times I've installed Vista, I've been able to select the driver manually from the "list of manufacturers" without any trouble. And without installing anything from Sony. So, yeah, I'm pretty confident that there is a FW900 driver built into Vista.

Don't take what I wrote above as Gospel though. It's from 2-month-old memory. I did get it to work with 1920x1200 @ 85 and 1680x1050 @ 85 (or 100?). But, you may need to read that PDF document and adjust accordingly since that example code I threw up there wasn't from my machine, but from a random entry I found by googling. But that PDF should give you all you need to know to muddle through. It did for me. I may actually try Vista again after this fix-pack is released (reportedly next week). If I do, I'll write up a more concise/accurate guide.

Best,

H

12. mike82y

mike82y [H]Lite

as i mentioned b4, im planning on getting one as well. I would like to know what resolution you guys normally use and with what refresh rate?? I have a G420 and a G200 both running with 100Hz, i dont think my eyes can take anything lower than that...

Mike

13. dz.Doze

dz.Doze n00bie

Can anyone with an FW900 confirm the maximum 16:10 resolution at which you can run 120hz refresh? Thanks!

14. Blazestorm

Blazestorm [H]ardness Supreme

Not sure, but other 16:10 resolutions never render correctly on my screen (never fill the full frame) I have to adjust my settings for them to look correct.

Either way, I think I'm gonna sell this on Craigslist and look into a 24" LCD...

It has color accuracy, but not the sharp/brightness of an LCD... and I think I'd prefer that a lot more... I do HD Video Editing but... color accuracy was never a real huge concern of mine... if the red is a little too red... so be it... :D

It weighs so much it flexes the wood in the desk so that my speakers that are sitting right next to the monitor don't sit level... :eek:

I believe you can run 1920 x 1200 at 98hz, but you have to set it custom... I run at 85 because my eyes can't take 60... 85 is fine for me, although I'm sure 98 would be even better.

15. Traumatic

Traumatic n00bie

Hi everyone, new here. I'm going to pick up my used Fw900 today and I guess I have a pick of four diffrent ones. What exactly should I be looking for when testing out the monitor?

16. Traumatic

Traumatic n00bie

Well i picked up my fw900 today and i'm trying to set it up for my xbox 360. Well I bought the vga adapter and connected the monitor to my computer and everythign works fine. But when I plug my 360 into the vga port nothing happens.What am I doing wrong?:confused:

17. Traumatic

Traumatic n00bie

it was a bad microsoft cable, thanks anyway.:(

18. Blazestorm

Blazestorm [H]ardness Supreme

Did you have the setting on the cable right? I recall you had to change a little slider on the VGA cable...

And then set it in the system settings.

Either way, hope it works out...

19. eno801

eno801 [H]Lite

if anyone needs one in the houston area i just bought one from a guy in perfect condition from $200 bucks. he has 2 more one is suffering from the overbrightness problem, but windas can take care of that. his phone is 281- 787-1336 . he is in the northwest area copperfield. they were his personal monitors april 2003. like i said if you need one trek on over he want to get rid of them this weekend.

20. Journier

Journier [H]ard|Gawd

im gonna be picking one of these up off ebay or somewhere, for gaming.

really an incredible monitor from what ive read of it.

21. Traumatic

Traumatic n00bie

Yeah I just got one the other day and tomorrow i'm buying another. They really are badass.

22. oldskooler79

oldskooler79 n00bie

I'm loving this monitor so far. But I'm struggling with proper settings for dvd playback. One of the reasons I bought this monitor is well, because it's simply the best! My games all look superb on it and now I need a couple questions answered about dvd playback if someone doesn't mind...

1) What is the preferred dvd software for the FW900? I'm used to Powerdvd, Zoom Player, and have tried Theatertek before. This ties in with my next question-

2) I would like to give FFDshow a go on this monitor, seeking that pixel perfect image similar to hd movies. I know it's gotta be possible because ffdshow can make dvds look almost hd on my previous 19" lcd. Could someone share their settings with their dvd software and ffdshow with me? I'de appreciate it so much. I keep trying different combos but can't seem to get it right.

3) This has probably already mentioned, so it's not urgent as I'll just have to re-read this huge thread. Could someone share their calibration settings, like color, contrast, etc that is ideal for movies and games. I've adjusted the focus knobs after letting it warm up so I'm okay there, so now I just need to know if my coloring is off. I'm basically viewing at 1920x1200 @ 85hz and under sRGB, hitting the image restore button which syncs well and looks okay. I've heard to use 6500k in advanced mode but that's where I'm confused. I only see 1, 2, and 3 in advanced mode. 6500k shows up in easy though.

Sorry for all the questions, hopefully others can learn from responses to them. Thanks.

23. JimmyWang214

JimmyWang214 [H]Lite

Has anyone had any experiences with accurateit's B stock on ebay. I know people have had good experiences with the A-, but I want to know just how bad the cosmetic damage/anti-glare damage is. At ~200 dollars shipped, the price can't be beat but...

24. Dunan

Dunan [H]ard|Gawd

OK, i'll input.
    1) What I use is power DVD 5 to view DVD's. It does an awesome job but the overall quality is dependent on the video card drivers.
    I use ATi and the AVIVO/CC suite and the AVIVO makes a huge difference in movies.

2) no answer for. :(

3) I use a hardware calibration tool, the pantone one eye display 2 to calibrate the monitor.

let the monitor warm up then press the toggle switch in and select color.
    Should say 'easy, advanced, sRBG' or something like that.

in the easy tab you see 5000K, 6500K, 9300K. move the toggle switch down one so it highlights the 5000K and move it to the right to select 6500K. you should see the screen change a bit. That is the setting you want but it REALLY helps to have a hardware calibrator for this monitor, and the monitor drivers installed so your video card can pick the right color profile.

Hope that helps, write back if you're still having problems, this monitor is like a baby to me:D

25. Dunan

Dunan [H]ard|Gawd

You are taking a chance on the B refurbs as its possible for the glass to be scratched, etc....

26. RESTfulADI

RESTfulADI 2[H]4U

Can anyone tell me where Vista's FW900 driver inf is on my hard drive? I need to edit it to add some custom resolutions and refresh rates. I have searched all over the hard drive but i can't find it. This guy here http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=37318 said he managed to get custom resolutions and refresh rates by editing his monitor's driver in Vista, I wanna do the same so i can used RivaTuner to override. I would also like to try using XP x64's FW900 driver as it already has perfect refresh rates, but i cant find it either. Thanks.

27. vafan13

vafan13 [H]Lite

Where in their auctions does it give a letter grade? All I see on their current one is "CONDITION: Refurbished, (minor plastic wear possible)". I'm going to assume this is the higher grade if it only mentions plastic wear as a possibility.

I've been looking to get a 24" LCD for a while now, but nothing seems to satisfy me and I am seriously considering plopping this 100 pound monster on my desk (which may or may not break).

EDIT: I just may have found a dream buy. $100, and it's < 1 hour drive from me, so no shipping. Muahahahaha!

Also, does it matter much if it's an '03 or '00? The one I've found was gov't. surplus and the guy has been using it since January of this year. I'm likely going to buy this one anyways (it's $100, how can I not?), but I'm curious as to how much it matters.

28. Dunan

Dunan [H]ard|Gawd

They dont have native drivers for the fw900 in XP or vista.
    you have to download the drivers off the web and install them and they are only for XP/2000.
    they will only work in XP correctly but i think some have gotten the drivers to work in vista.
    besides, i think you can only get 60HZ refresh rate with this monitor in vista.
    some I think have got that to work also with native res. @ 85HZ.

29. hardBBQ

hardBBQ Gawd

I use RefreshLock for higher refresh rates in Vista Ultimate 64-bit with a Quadro FX 4600 running Geforce drivers for games -- works perfectly and it's so simple. It's just a small program that doesn't mess with drivers.

Download it here:
    http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/RefreshLock-Download-392.html

Set "Refresh Overriding" and leave it running in the system tray.

30. RESTfulADI

RESTfulADI 2[H]4U

Actually they do, and the driver included in XP x64 is already has almost all of the perfect refresh rates by default. Select "don't search, i will choose driver', then uncheck "compatible only', go down to manufacturer sony and pick fw900. Now, can you help me find the actual file on the HD?

31. RESTfulADI

RESTfulADI 2[H]4U

I have tried it already, it didnt work. Someone said u gotta run it as admin for it to work, we'll see. I think i messed up my Vista installation when i changed to 500hz usbport.sys, my mouse wont work in vista anymore and I cant rename the original file from XP damn it. I might have to reformat vista and try again.

32. hardBBQ

hardBBQ Gawd

I haven't had to run RefreshLock as an admin, but that could easily be done permanently in the advanced properties of the file. My 22" Diamondtron CRT doesn't have a proper Vista driver (the model isn't listed when choosing a driver manually), but this program is working suitably.

33. SH1

SH1 [H]ard|Gawd

Not a chance I would take...

34. rawashdeh

rawashdeh n00bie

Ok , so I just moved to a new place and had to drag this big monitor with me which was hard but it got babied on the way. Now after I re-set it up I have discoloration at the bottom of the screen close to the middle area. It's not the sides so the landing settings can't reach that area and its most obvious when red is on the screen. Not sure what is going on here but the move was a very short distance and it was babied on the way so I don't believe it is physical damage. I tried a vga and a BNC cable but both cables have the same exact result. Also I feel that I can't get the convergence right on this monitor on all sides , I know there are top and bottom vertical settings but I think I need horizontal settings for both sides to get this done correctly. Is there any other way than a windas cable to do that?

Thanks , any input at least to the discoloration is appreciated as its driving me insane.

35. vafan13

vafan13 [H]Lite

OK, I got my $100 FW900. The colors off the bat were terrible (to the point where I felt bad for the guy that I bought it off of), with, among other problems, the blacks a greenish grey. So far the only way Ive been able to get the colors to look good is r. bias 0, g. bias 0, b. bias 49, with r/g/b gains at 87/77/80 respectfully and with brightness set to 0 (any real amount of brightness seems to make the screen so bright I think it's going to burn my retinas, as well as ruin the blacks) and contrast at 100. I tried the "Image Restoration" (which, oddly, is only on the basic and sRGB screens for me, whereas it says in this thread expert and sRGB), but it did not seem to do anything. Anyone have any help/suggestions?

Also, what the heck can I use (or what registry entries can I change) to force (custom) refresh rates in games? windose only shows 85 for 1900x1200, so I used nvidia control panel to add 95Hz to the list and I am using that on desktop. However, in games it drops it down to only 75.

36. Dunan

Dunan [H]ard|Gawd

Did you reset the monitor to the factory settings first before you tried to set anything else?
    If you were able to do an image restoration your tube was warmed up enough for the colors and blacks to be set in so we can throw out that possibility.
    Yours might be kind of worn out if you're having this much color trouble with it.

But another thing, its only supposed to DO 85hz @1920x1200 resolution, I wouldnt push it past that. Thats the native res. according to the manual.

37. MightyJoe

MightyJoe n00bie

You really might want to grab yourself a winDAS cable to get your brightness under control.

As far as the refresh rate, you should be able to select an option somewhere to lock your refresh rates to the desktop rate in games, or just have it "force" a certain refresh rate at all times. I know my ati drivers have an option along those lines.

38. vafan13

vafan13 [H]Lite

Also, I just noticed there are two very faint (I can only notice them on white or very bright backgrounds), most likely 1 pixel wide lines going horizontally across the screen. Is this a fault in the monitor or is it more likely to be the VGA cable? If it's the monitor, is there anyway to fix it, or am I stuck with it?

39. RESTfulADI

RESTfulADI 2[H]4U

I've been using 1920x1200@95hz just fine for a few months now. I don't run it 24/7 like that but for certain games where i can afford that resolution it works just fine. As long as you dont go over the horizontal refresh limit of 121hz you will be fine.

40. Dunan

Dunan [H]ard|Gawd

Those are the stabilizer lines to keep the tube in place i believe, those are completely normal and all these monitors have them.

Sure, you can run it @ that refresh rate, but i WOULDNT.:D

there's a reason why it maxes at @85HZ:D

I would personally never push the refresh rate past what its supposed to run at unless you want your monitor to die an early death.