24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

cesarioFL71

Weaksauce
I’m all ears. Curious to know if the circuit gets hotter at higher refreshes. If not then I’d say you have a point. If only a little I’d still say you have a point. :)
If these units were still readily available and the crt logistical chain was still up and running I could see myself "playing" around with higher resolutions and refresh rates beyond spec, but since these units are the very last of their kind and will someday in the very near future be gone forever I would follow the advice of someone like Vito. He doesn't give out advice just because; he's a master of his trade and I'm sure he gave it for a reason. Most likely, running these units above specs places undue wear and tear on the electronics.

jbltecnicspro

Supreme [H]ardness
If these units were still readily available and the crt logistical chain was still up and running I could see myself "playing" around with higher resolutions and refresh rates beyond spec, but since these units are the very last of their kind and will someday in the very near future be gone forever I would follow the advice of someone like Vito. He doesn't give out advice just because; he's a master of his trade and I'm sure he gave it for a reason. Most likely, running these units above specs places undue wear and tear on the electronics.
It’s not technically above spec though. And honestly a thermal camera and 30 mins is all we need to verify. My two cents

cesarioFL71

Weaksauce
How many of us have a thermal camera? I don't and for me it would be a question of risk vs reward? Why take a chance on shortening the life of your prized crt for what amounts to a questionable benefit?

jbltecnicspro

Supreme [H]ardness
How many of us have a thermal camera? I don't and for me it would be a question of risk vs reward? Why take a chance on shortening the life of your prized crt for what amounts to a questionable benefit?
If your monitor cannot survive 30 mins at max vertical than it was fucked to begin with.

I have access to one! Lol. Why I never thought of this when I HAD the monitors I’ll never know.

Enhanced Interrogator

[H]ard|Gawd
I’ve been using my LaCie for almost 10 years at high refresh rate for games

Like I said the monitor wouldn’t let you run high refresh rates if it was bad for the monitor

3dfan

Limp Gawd
my FW900 show a "out of scan range" OSD message and nothing more if i try to go anything further than 160hz, (even at 161hz) regardless if its within the horizontal scan range , so it seems it symply wont allow to use something that can damage it.

however i agree, based from the age and the natural wear of our CRT monitor that surely have at this point. i believe is better to not to force somethings such high for unecesary long periods, even if so far seem to be working normaly.

age and wear is staring to show their consecuences on many CRT monitors:

my FW900 is doing this freaking GSOD (green screen of death) everytime i turn the monitor ON after being off for some hours (like when turning it ON in the morning) this issue started to happen suddenly, even when my FW900 was not used for about 3 months, and i see this kind of issue is happening on many monitors and killing many GDMs i see suffering from this issue with no fix as it seems so far. :dead:, so far when i turn the monitor on and see that greenish screen for more than 1 second, i inmediately turn off the monitor if it doesnt do it automaticaly, wait a second and turn it again on, so the greenish screen disssapear but who knows whats about to come, i am trying to prepare myself "psychologically" if the day that greenish screen becomes pemanent 😥),
also my compaq 7550 CRT monitor suddently also after being unused for months, got its picture horizontaly narrowed, luckily i was able to fix it by resoldering as many soldier points i was able on its PCB which fortunaty is just one single board.

from sometime ago i started to use my CRTs with reduced brightness (constrast setting for luminance) when i dont game or watch movies and general videos, i believe this would also help reducing their natural wear, also personaly i use my CRTs for desktop usage at 60hz and for many games since 60hz on CRT always have had soft ficker enough to my eyes for even desktop usage and surely it can be healthier for the monitor itself as well, so most of the time i use it at 60hz, i do use higher refresh, 90hz max for some unlocked fps modern games were my system can keep that framerate constant, to my likes i dont see the necesity to user higher than 90hz, to my eyes i hardly note the difference agains higher frecuencies than 90hz on the CRTs, and since CRT dont need such high ridiculous refreshes like 120hz-240hz as modern display need to improve their flaws like poor motion quality, latency, low BFI brightness, more aggresive BFI flicker than CRT, etc,
so i never seen the necessity to use the CRT monitor maximum supported refresh rate.

Last edited:

jbltecnicspro

Supreme [H]ardness
Not to argue the point. My old G70, when pushed to its limits, clearly was working harder than at lower refresh/scan rates. Direct view displays are different animals altogether but you get the point. Like I said if we had a thermal camera I'd love to see if there's a difference. Maybe there isn't and this is all for nothing. Anyways - not trying to throw shade at you Enhanced Interrogator - sounds like your monitor is still rocking and you love it.