24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

3dfan

Limp Gawd
that also happens with mine with my sunix dpu3000, when playing at 1280x960@60hz, but as yours, is so small and is out of usable screen area that i find it not annoying nor something to be concerned about at all.

EDIT: in fact i have realized it happes with all resolutions i use that are 4:3 like 2048x1536, etc that leave some unused space at the vertical borders of the screen, its seems related only to the dpu3000 in my case, when i was using native analog outputs didnt see that, but again, nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

amilic

n00b
While gaming, game game will change refresh rates to 85hz while my desktop is set to a higher one.

eg: 1600x1200 at 100hz in desktop, but game runs it at 85hz instead.

Anyone know how to lock the gaming refresh rate to the desktops?

Enhanced Interrogator

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone know how to lock the gaming refresh rate to the desktops?
1) Switch to 100hz before you launch the game
2) Use Nvidias "use max refresh rate" in 3D settings
3) Use another 3rd party program like RefreshLock

and if everything else fails:

4) Make a custom resolution of 1624x1218 @ 100hz and just use that

SH1

[H]ard|Gawd
So I was trying to see how high a resolution I could do at 100Hz vertical refresh on the FW900. Using GTF timings, keeping within the display's true aspect ratio, and keeping things divisible by 8 if that's still a thing. And ended up with this:

FW900.PNG

Is it odd the FW900 goes this high in horizontal refresh? (Display itself also reports 122KHz.) Also I'm thinking maybe it's not a great idea to run it at its very limit...

Enhanced Interrogator

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been running my LaCie at 135kHz-140kHz for years now and things seem OK. But that's only when I'm playing games. For general desktop use, I'm back down to around 100kHz, or whatever 1600x1200 @ 85hz comes out to.

And have you tried using CRU? I find it more intuitive than AMD and Nvidia's tools, and it allows you to save profiles which is a big deal when updating drivers.

Strat_84

Limp Gawd
IMO it's only a matter of the entire electronic chain being able to sustain a signal frequency without distorsion. There shouldn't be a risk of failure just for using the screen in the higher fraction of its refresh range.

SH1

[H]ard|Gawd
Thank you both. I used to use PowerStrip to enforce resolutions back in the day, but just the built in tools after that. Downloaded CRU. Looks good. Just used it to fix 1600 by 1024 at 100 Hz I think.

joevt

Weaksauce
And have you tried using CRU? I find it more intuitive than AMD and Nvidia's tools, and it allows you to save profiles which is a big deal when updating drivers.
AMD's custom resolutions are stuck at 6bpc max so I tried CRU. AMD doesn't use EDID overrides created by CRU (or any other method affecting the registry) when the display is connected to an MST Hub. EDID overrides appear to be per display model and GPU port, so you need to copy the EDID override to each port that you connect the display to. While creating the EDID override in CRU, you may want to change the name of the display in the EDID override to include the name of the port it's connected to. The modified display name helps to indicate when the custom EDID is being used. For the case where the EDID override is not being used by AMD for a display connected to an MST Hub, the Windows software will show the new display name while the AMD software will not show the new display name. The AMD software will show the new display name when the display is not connected to an MST Hub.

Last edited:

Enhanced Interrogator

[H]ard|Gawd
That's an interesting test joevt

I got around the issue by using an Extron EDID 101V, that I programmed with a Dr. HDMI from HD Fury. Dr. HDMI will take BIN files generated by CRU.

Convoluted as hell, but at least I have a decent selection of default resolutions.

The other problem is that "standard resolutions" output at CVT reduced timings on AMD, so they're not useable on a CRT