24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

boomeh

n00b
The problem is that a color problem shouldn't be resolution related. When the G2 and/or color balance are off that's regardless of the resolution displayed. His issue may be different.
Thanks folks, I should clarify everything looks amazing - deep inky blacks, movies and games look incredible but as soon as i want to increase the resolution everything transforms into a green tinted, grey and ugly mess.

I do intend of going through the Windas calibration after i've sorted everything else, but this has completely stumped me. Ive a GTX 1080 and can run my lcd monitor on its full rez of 3440x1440 no problem, so im guessing its how ive connected the Sony is whats causing the issue.

If this helps any, when swapping over from VGA to HDMI back to VGA to DVI, windows insists its still connected to the HDMI and changes the resolution up to 1920x1080 but as soon as I power the PC completely off and on again and it catches up with the physical cable change the same problem comes back. I should also point out than when the HDMI cable is ACTUALLY connected the same issue with 1360x768 and above is tinted green and grey.

Sorry if this is confusing but its so bizarre!

edit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D3XZ9SD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the cable im using. Actually it says its limits are 1920x1200 at 60HZ. The Sony is currently set at 75HZ at 1280x800. Is this higher refresh enough to hit the threshold? The user DooLocsta mentioned the cable in the first place and said it was able to achieve up to 1800x1440@75Hz - hence why i bought that one in particular.

So confused.

Last edited:

3dfan

Weaksauce
Desire for a head-to-head XG270 vs FW900:
Somebody submitted an Amazon review of the VIewSonic XG270 being preferred over FW900. (With the XG270 running 120Hz PureXP+, strobing with 99% sRGB with no strobe crosstalk thanks to intentional Hz headroom below 240Hz being commandeered to improve 120Hz strobe quality) -- I'm now looking to publish a head-to-head of FW900 versus XG270. I expect some things FW900 better, with some things XG270 better -- this needs to be borne out.

Looking for FW900 for keeps:
I already have ability to borrow from spacediver, siince I know him and he is near where I live. However, I am looking for a keeper to use as a reference. If anyone else in Toronto or Buffalo area has a spare FW900 CRT -- please send me a DM or email mark [at] blurbusters.com -- Blur Busters is looking for a relatively local FW900 CRT (or a different high-scanrate CRTs like 445pro -- but would settle for a Dell P1130) to own for reference purposes, instead of borrow. Offers have come from afar, but shipping is too risky / crazy priced.
hmmm......not pretending to start a CRT vs IPS war but......

you are not mentioning important XG270 flaws that amazon user mentioned in his testimonial: "And yep I can say, while not exactly as bright as the FW900 in blur reduction mode (there will be more brightness in the next firmware version I am told), nor having those inky blacks (there is that IPS glow)"
so, if it have been not able to achieve good or at least equal brightness levels as the FW900 when strobing without sacrificing motion clarity after all the tuning already done, it seems hard to believe some significant improvment without sacrificing motion clarity would be made in the next firmware, have to see to believe.

also blacks is one of the strong points of the FW900 and one of the weakest points of the XG270 specially being a IPS which are known to have one of the worst lighting artifact such light bleed, glow, ruining the true escence of blacks specially for dark atmosphere games.

also even if not all people care about low refresh rates, the FW900 even manages lower refreshes such 60hz simply beautifully, with no agressive flickering, no brightness loss, excelent motion clarity, etc and the XG270 also fails in this only strobing at 75hz minimum and this without forgeting the way the XG270 strobes (off backlight at once periods vs the FW900 rolling scan if i am not wrong) which surely would result in more agressive flicker perception than the FW900 at lower refreshes.

so is not hard to assume currently to not lose brightness and preserve FW900 life like motion clarity quality you will need to disable strobing in the XG270 and use a ridiculous high refresh rate and high fps such the max 240hz and 240fps, but even at that refresh blur will be still present you know, the FW900 at his "modest" max 96hz at its prime res 1920x1200 (up to 160hz at reduced resolutions) surely does better than the XG270 at even its 120Hz PureXP+ with no brightness loss / motion clarity tradeoff and with much less GPU horsepower needed.

please excuse me if i sounded rude, i am just tired of those manufacturers selling out users hiding flaws information with mediocre image motion clarity quality tradeoffs in order to sell their products.

i see in the CRT collective forum group people getting FW900s recently, but in the USA apparently by searching in the group "Fw900" and sort the results as "most recent"

Last edited:

boomeh

n00b
Try changing your colorspace to YPbPr. I have a Benefei HDMI adapter that goes funky if it's not in YPbPr.
It works! Thank you so much! I got it running, no weirdness in the colours, and up to 2048x1280! Next thing is getting RGB back but thats another battle!

I am using Delock 62967 with good results.
Might get one of those new fancy USB C adapter some day but so far I do not feel the need to.
I ended up buying this but im back to my old problem with Display Port where windows is detecting "something" but not enough for the monitor to power on and there's no options i can see that would allow it be recognised as an active in use port. So my guess is its something to do with my gpu or perhaps an option in windows i need to activate?

Theres no need to install any drivers for this thing no? Windows insists its all up to date on that front.

Thanks very much!

It works! Thank you so much! I got it running, no weirdness in the colours, and up to 2048x1280! Next thing is getting RGB back but thats another battle!
You don't need RGB. YPbPr is just as good, as long as its being converted in a lossless fashion. You can check for that by looking at this greyscale gradient and other patterns on the website:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php

mod

n00b
Hi there all,

So I managed to buy a completely new FW900. Unfortunately something failed after the first 10 minutes of run and I have no idea whether it is a capacitor-problem or something else. This had been sitting 19 years and 6 months in the box. In case someone nearby is willing to fix this, just write me. I am located in Magdeburg, Germany, but the next couple of days in Köln with the unit.

best,

Strat_84

Limp Gawd
Or maybe you were just sold a defective unit pretending it is new. There's no way to tell the actual use of a FW900, it's easy to clean it and put it back in a box ...

Reactions: mod
like this

aeliusg

Gawd
Hi there all,

So I managed to buy a completely new FW900. Unfortunately something failed after the first 10 minutes of run and I have no idea whether it is a capacitor-problem or something else. This had been sitting 19 years and 6 months in the box. In case someone nearby is willing to fix this, just write me. I am located in Magdeburg, Germany, but the next couple of days in Köln with the unit.

best,
See this about capacitor expiration: https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/capacitor-degradation.42234/

20 years is a long time and the quality of the Japanese caps used in the FW900 notwithstanding some are probably gone if they have been sitting completely unused for a couple of decades. The good news is that the tube is as good as new, unless there is some unknown physical or chemical phenomena that hasn't been discovered yet at work here.

mod

n00b
Or maybe you were just sold a defective unit pretending it is new. There's no way to tell the actual use of a FW900, it's easy to clean it and put it back in a box ...
I have the original receipt from September 2000 with the name of the seller, he said it is new and everything looked untouched, including the cable box...

mod

n00b
See this about capacitor expiration: https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/capacitor-degradation.42234/

20 years is a long time and the quality of the Japanese caps used in the FW900 notwithstanding some are probably gone if they have been sitting completely unused for a couple of decades. The good news is that the tube is as good as new, unless there is some unknown physical or chemical phenomena that hasn't been discovered yet at work here.
This certainly sounds familiar to what I just experienced. I think it might actually been just some 3-6 minutes it was turned on. When I changed the resolution the first time this happened.

Strat_84

Limp Gawd
This certainly sounds familiar to what I just experienced. I think it might actually been just some 3-6 minutes it was turned on. When I changed the resolution the first time this happened.
Well, it is true that an electrolytic capacitor that was not exposed to electric current for 20 years will sustain a chemical reaction to reform the oxyde layer, and if such operation happens without special care, a short may happen in the capacitor and kill it (plus maybe some other components in the vicinity). But I've heard of "new old stock" devices staying in their box for longer than that, with capacitors of about the same quality or lower than the ones found in the Sony monitors, and still the device worked perfectly.

Personally I'm rather dubtful about finding a genuine brand new screen of that kind in 2020.

mod

n00b
Well, it is true that an electrolytic capacitor that was not exposed to electric current for 20 years will sustain a chemical reaction to reform the oxyde layer, and if such operation happens without special care, a short may happen in the capacitor and kill it (plus maybe some other components in the vicinity). But I've heard of "new old stock" devices staying in their box for longer than that, with capacitors of about the same quality or lower than the ones found in the Sony monitors, and still the device worked perfectly.

Personally I'm rather dubtful about finding a genuine brand new screen of that kind in 2020.
Me too, but I sincerely believe this is unused, first of all the seller seemed to me extremely truthful person, has a original receipt, and everything looked like new.

mod

n00b
Me too, but I sincerely believe this is unused, first of all the seller seemed to me extremely truthful person, has a original receipt, and everything looked like new.
What I just experienced after a while is most certainly something to do with the fact that it had been sitting down for so long. The first moments it looked extremely good, just like my other new unit what I bought in 2018 (hp p1230 made in 2004, rebadged Mitsubishi. It still does give a newlike image.) After I changed the resolution and the refresh rate the first time, it failed.

3dfan

Weaksauce
I found an adapter that can potentially have the same performance of DPU3000.
The chipset is the Lontium LT8711X-B which has the same specs as the Synaptics VMM2322.
I asked Lontium about the DAC precision and seems to be 10 bit,but it's a thing that must be tested.
The adapter is the Vention USB-C to VGA (model code CGMHA)
Vention seems to be a company that focuses on quality and effectively the adapter looks well built.
With a card like Sunix UPD2018 it can be connected to any video card with displayport output.

If someone has a Nvidia RTX card or a laptop with the USB-C video output and wants to try,look here:

https://www.amazon.com/Vention-Adapter-Support-Compatible-Pixelbook/dp/B07C4TP4BJ

Derupter, when i click that link, it shows a vention USB C to HDMI adapter instead to VGA, do you know if they still sell the adapter with the specs you mentioned?

Derupter

Limp Gawd

Derupter, when i click that link, it shows a vention USB C to HDMI adapter instead to VGA, do you know if they still sell the adapter with the specs you mentioned?
Try to contact the seller (Vention Technology) and ask why the CGMHA is unavaible.
Also ask if they can sell the CMFHB which is the new HDMI 2.0+VGA model with the new Lontium chipset.
Eventually try to search for CGMHA or LT8711X-B, you will probably find adapters with a different name (Festnight,Docooler,ecc..) but it's the same adapter from Vention.

3dfan

Weaksauce
looks like the SUNIX adapters on amazon are out of stock
yes, loooong time ago indeed, seems proper adapters are getting harder to get

Try to contact the seller (Vention Technology) and ask why the CGMHA is unavaible.
Also ask if they can sell the CMFHB which is the new HDMI 2.0+VGA model with the new Lontium chipset.
Eventually try to search for CGMHA or LT8711X-B, you will probably find adapters with a different name (Festnight,Docooler,ecc..) but it's the same adapter from Vention.

Vention replied, as for about CGMHA availability, they answer was that "they dont have stock now" nothing more
as for if they can sell the CMFHB which is the new HDMI 2.0+VGA model with the new Lontium chipsetm their answer is: "Sorry for replying late.The chip of this hub is LT8712X.And the HDMI port support 2.0.But we have no stock of it now".
also they left a link to their store in aliexpress https://vention.aliexpress.com/store/536610?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000061.1.5cf87760d7dWZi

Last edited:

cdoublejj

Limp Gawd

Vention replied, as for about CGMHA availability, they answer was that "they dont have stock now" nothing more
as for if they can sell the CMFHB which is the new HDMI 2.0+VGA model with the new Lontium chipsetm their answer is: "Sorry for replying late.The chip of this hub is LT8712X.And the HDMI port support 2.0.But we have no stock of it now".
also they left a link to their store in aliexpress https://vention.aliexpress.com/store/536610?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000061.1.5cf87760d7dWZi

man i just bought one like a yearish ago. is Delock 87685 around in the US?

edit hhmmm, https://www.grooves-inc.com/delock-...plitter-switches-delock-pZZa1-2097988797.html

also anything good for secondary 4:3 monitors?

Last edited:

3dfan

Weaksauce
dont know about 87685 in the US, a quick search on sites like amazon and ebay, does not show any results, the equivalent DPU3000 seems to be listed in ebay but from someone in australia, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunix-Tiny...795772?hash=item2ac13f93fc:g:cEwAAOSwOnJcOFgo and who knows if he ships to the US.

in case your card has USB C, someone in the CRT collective group in facebook said he is using a plugable USB C to VGA adapter for his secondary monitor, maybe he is using the same adapter Derupter mentioned and linked sometime ago and seems to be still available, if not, maybe the BENFEI adapter also mentioned and available may work?

If your RTX card has a USB-C output and you don't need more than 1920x1200 96 Hz you can buy on the USA market these adapters:

Plugable USBC-VGA tested by other users with a pixel clock of 330-335 MHz

Sunix C2VC7A0 nobody tested it but Sunix says that it has ANX9847 chipset

So both are USB-C to VGA with Analogix ANX9847 chipset (unless they changed it recently)

If your card can't output to USB-C the only solutions on USA market are:
Sunix DPU3000
Benfei HDMI to VGA This has been tested by CommandoSnake up to 1920x1200 95 Hz,for that price it's very interesting,the only problem is that it need to be set to YCbCr instead RGB,i don't know if that can cause problem with some configurations

Last edited:

Derupter

Limp Gawd

Well, "no stock now" is definitely better than "we don't produce it anymore"

Last edited:
Reactions: 3dfan
like this

LAGRUNAUER

Gawd
Hi there all,

best,
I am curious to know if you were able to get it properly diagnosed and even fixed...

Please let us know...

Sinccerely,

Unkle Vito!

How important is the quality of the DP-MiniDP cable going into the Sunix/Delock adapters (the ones that have been discussed at length over the past years)? I have been having som weird issues at resolution 2304x1440x60Hz, where the left and right borders get messed up, could this be because of a poor DP-MiniDP cable or is this the adapter itself?

I am using a cheap 5 metre DP-MiniDP cable (I think it's only rated at 5 gbit/s) and am thinking about buying a more expensive one (rated at around 10 gbit/s). Would this make a difference?

3dfan

Weaksauce
almost all sunix dpu3000 and delock equivalent users seem to have weird issues at certain resolutions and refreshes, some claim to fix similar issues when using refreshes ending in 5 (85hz as example) which seem more likely those adapter flaws that wiring issue. try other resolutions and refresh rates convinations to see if those issue dissapear, i higly recommend to seach this topic about that, search words like "sunix", "delock", "dpu3000" for more info about it.

Last edited:

XoR_

Gawd
DPU3000 issues with certain display modes suggest poor clock control which suggests this adapter wont give the best picture quality even in modes it does not show obvious issues and/or it might require a lot of tinkering with display modes to get it just right on sweet clock spot. This is however just an assumption on my part because I have not used this adapter personally.

I use Delock 62967 and for what it is it works fine up to 340 or so MHz pixel clock without clock issues. Picture quality is ok, only slightly worse than native VGA output from AMD/NV cards I used before. Imho good adapter if you do not care about anything more than 1920x1200@97Hz like me.

Ok thanks for your answers.

Any tips on setting up custom resolutions with Nvidia cards? The built-in Nvidia Control Panel is terrible. It constantly forgets resolutions and is very buggy.

Last edited:
I have been having som weird issues at resolution 2304x1440x60Hz, where the left and right borders get messed up, could this be because of a poor DP-MiniDP cable or is this the adapter itself
That is a problem with the Sunix itself. It cant' display 2048 horizontal pixels at all and ass you go above that, it starts to work better, but not useable until you hit 2304 or 2400 pixels. 2304x1728 @ 75hz works fine for me, so maybe for 60hz, you could try adding more lines to the front and back porch to increase the pixel clock, to get it farther away from that 2048x1536 pixel count.

ElBartoME

n00b
I recently got a FW900. You always hear about the FBT going pop so I thought I should probably find a replacement if the inevitable happens.
As many others found out it is practically impossible to source a new FBT for the FW900. So I did some digging and found out, that the FBT of a BVM-A32 is very similar or even exactly the same.

There was one listing for a brand new FBT from a A32. I bit the bullet and ordered it.

It arrived yesterday and here you can see the result:
2020-02-18 18.30.40.jpg

Left: A32
Right: FW900

They are practically identical. The only difference I can see is the length of the HV cable as the FBT from the A32 has a longer cable. That's it. I haven't tested it yet as my current FBT still works. But I thought I let you guys know.

It's this FBT: https://encompass.com/item/6596153/Sony/1-453-477-11/

Strat_84

Limp Gawd
I recently got a FW900. You always hear about the FBT going pop so I thought I should probably find a replacement if the inevitable happens.
As many others found out it is practically impossible to source a new FBT for the FW900. So I did some digging and found out, that the FBT of a BVM-A32 is very similar or even exactly the same.

There was one listing for a brand new FBT from a A32. I bit the bullet and ordered it.

View attachment 224487

They are practically identical. The only difference I can see is the length of the HV cable as the FBT from the A32 has a longer cable. That's it. I haven't tested it yet as my current FBT still works. But I thought I let you guys know.

I hope you realize if you ever replace the FW900's FBT with this one you'll be taking a huge risk. Unless you got the datasheet of both FBTs and could compare their specifications, there's no way you can say one could replace another. The physical appearance doesn't mean anything, you'll find out every FBT in every Sony trinitron computer monitor and maybe even TVs look exactly like this. Yet every model has a specific serial for its FBT, and certainly unique specifications.

ElBartoME

n00b
I hope you realize if you ever replace the FW900's FBT with this one you'll be taking a huge risk. Unless you got the datasheet of both FBTs and could compare their specifications, there's no way you can say one could replace another. The physical appearance doesn't mean anything, you'll find out every FBT in every Sony trinitron computer monitor and maybe even TVs look exactly like this. Yet every model has a specific serial for its FBT, and certainly unique specifications.
I know that I'm taking a risk. It is impossible to get the datasheets for the FBTs. That's a risk I'm willing to take.

But I'm not only going about looks of the FBTs. If you go to the website of HR Diemen (a popular 3rd party manufacturer of FBTs) you can search for FBT replacements. They list the same FBT replacement for the FW900 and A32.

http://www.hrdiemen.com/reparation/flyback/model/46818

Strat_84

Limp Gawd
I know that I'm taking a risk. It is impossible to get the datasheets for the FBTs. That's a risk I'm willing to take.

But I'm not only going about looks of the FBTs. If you go to the website of HR Diemen (a popular 3rd party manufacturer of FBTs) you can search for FBT replacements. They list the same FBT replacement for the FW900 and A32.

http://www.hrdiemen.com/reparation/flyback/model/46818
That may simply be a mistake, it's not like that listing is giving much informations apart from sticking a couple of names together.

I did some research and I found someone else already gave you an answer that makes a lot of sense:
It's not; definitely not compatible. The FW's can go up to 121kHz, but the A32 maxes at 45kHz. It probably has a little theoretical leeway but it has about a 0% chance it can go as high.
I can't have any specification for flybacks but at least there is a schematic of the internals on the FW900's service manual. There are inductances that must be sized according to the frequency of the signals, otherwise they block signals they shouldn't or let pass interferences they should block. There are also internal capacitors on the path of the vertical and horizontal dynamic focus that must have a proper value for the wide range of sweep frequencies to work. If the figures here are right, a FW900 flyback might work on a A32, but there's little chance a flyback designed for max 45kHz signals would sustain 121kHz signals. And that's only part of the issue, there's a lot of other things that could go wrong, like the voltage issued to the tube being different (windings not sized for this then), the actual power involved being different and so on.
Playing Russian roulette with a component ouputing voltages in the tens of kV range is just crazy IMO.

LAGRUNAUER

Gawd

View attachment 224487

The GDM-FW900's FBT part # is 1-453-348-11 - TRANSFORMER ASSY, FLYBACK (NX-4504//J1D4) ... It has the warning sign "the components identified with the safety ! sign is marked as critical for safety. Replace only with the part number specified..."

Please make sure you know what you are doing... It is not a very wise risk to take... But again, that is my opinion...

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!