24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by mathesar, Sep 13, 2005.

1. synergyo1

synergyo1 2[H]4U

Just ordered myself one :) If it lasts at least the next three years I'll be very happy.

2. m1 grant

m1 grant Limp Gawd

How does this thing look, when running in lower res, like 1280x720, or something else like it. Im asking because i don't think every game i play cvan handle the massive resolutions this thing offers, at least not until i get another card for SLI. By the way i don't really want to sacrifice eye candy stuff like HDR, so setting the resolution down is the only solution.

3. Kevlarman

Kevlarman [H]ard|Gawd

BF2 @ 1680x1050 looks really good as well; the 2405FPW is very good at scaling.

4. mathesar

mathesar [H]ard|Gawd

Lower res's still look great, for example I took this shot of Half Life 2 running 1280x800.

No fans and mine is dead silent.

5. perplex

perplex Gawd

Trinitrons are just gems from the past arn't they :) i have a beautiful Sony G200 at home that's been running for ~5 years and counting. It's only 17" but it weighs like twice as much as other 17" CRT. I don't even want to guess what your 24" Trinitron must weigh. I remember those monitors used to cost over £2000

6. hhookk

hhookk Limp Gawd

Actually you can get it for $225 like me. I called him and am going to pick one out tomorrow. He told me to bring a laptop and I can hook it up and test it out before I buy :)
    Yay for no $100 shipping.
    Yay for getting a $2000 monitor for $225 !!!
    Yay for me !!!
    It will go nicely with my 2405 ;)

7. synergyo1

synergyo1 2[H]4U

Lucky you.. too bad I live on the west coast :(

8. MrkXCeL

MrkXCeL [H]ard|Gawd

There are adapters. Physically THIS works. Realistically I didn't know NTSC and PCs do not run same voltages across the RGB wires. So you get a GREEEEEEEEEN picure. lolz, I played FORZA on XBOX for a whole afternoon that way ... I don't recommend

9. MrkXCeL

MrkXCeL [H]ard|Gawd

HEY!!! Your FW900 Control panel is different than mine. I have small joystick, yours looks like a click scroll wheelie. Uhh what manufacture date ix yours got? I can check mine by holding RIGHT on JOYSTICK upon selecting an input with no SIGNAL. takes maybe 2 seconds and info box will come up.

10. seigejet

seigejet Limp Gawd

Sweet, I was thinking of local pickup and now I've got confirmation, nice...

11. hhookk

hhookk Limp Gawd

978-682-6767 ask for Lou. Really nice guy. They will help you get it down and into your car but have a friend ready to help you when you get home. It is a MONSTER. :D

12. mathesar

mathesar [H]ard|Gawd

Mine also has the joystick (by the power button) ..The click wheel on the very left is so you can hide the front controls by turning it upwards ,Yours should have this also?

You dont have to hold Right on the joystick on a no signal input ,all you do is push the joystick straight in for 3-5 seconds on any input and the serial # / model / manufacture date box should display,mine shows "2002-20" and the sticker on the the back of the monitor shows May 2002.

13. Romir

Romir Limp Gawd

Received my Sony FW900 today. There's some scuffing on the sides of the case but the glass and the front plastic are almost perfect. The colors became phenomenal after using the Image Restoration option. The contrast difference between LCDs and CRTs really stands out with darker colors. Make sure to use the 6500k color profile!

1080i sources look as good, if not better, than any HDTV I've seen. The visuals are very 3d like. Blacks are as dark and deep as a puddle of ink. I've tried to take some pictures but none do this monitor justice.

I'm still going to keep a 2001fp (2405fpwhen they get cheaper) with a second computer for general purpose use though. It's nice to keep the drivers/settings/windows "clean" on a gaming and multimedia computer, it takes a while to get everything set up just right.

14. mathesar

mathesar [H]ard|Gawd

Congrats on the monitor :D , I watched the latest LOST episode on my FW900 lastnight (HDTV rip) and was amazed at the overall quality, Lost is a very dark show and really shows off how great the Black levels are on this monitor.

I changed the color profile to 6500k when I first got it , I was used to this on my previous 21" Sony.

15. Orange.exe

Orange.exe Limp Gawd

im trying to make notes so i can do everything immediately when i get the screen. How would i change the color profile to 6500k?

16. mathesar

mathesar [H]ard|Gawd

You access color profiles through the on screen menu ..just press the Joystick in to bring up the menu then goto Color..you'll also see the Image Restoration option here but it wont let you use it until after warmup (30min).

17. Orange.exe

Orange.exe Limp Gawd

Well, I just jumped on the bandwagon. Got the $325 hp version off ebay. Gonna hook it up to my playstation 2 (gotta find an adapter, but katamari damacy and MGS3 should be awesome), and to my pc (half life 2, cs:s, and brother in arms). Not to mention DVD's, and the xbox360 in 2 months. The resulutions will be less then I would like for pc games, but it should suit me well until I get my new computer (7800 should take care of it).

18. texuspete00

texuspete00 [H]ardness Supreme

On my GTX I haven't given up on the 1920*1200 2xAA and 8x AF yet. Even in the FEAR demo. I had softshadows off and maybe light radiosity or something like that to medium, as the default went, and everything else to high. The good thing about the res hack was that it even displayed when you hit options, giving it that genuine flavor. Source I can even get HDR for some icing after some nice settings, how fugging sweet is that! I love my GTX.

Just saying I'm sure you'll love that card coming in! And I got the $325 HP too. :D It's nice of you to reunite these graphics cards with these monitors. They really belong together. They should have combo deals like burgers and french fries.

19. Romir

Romir Limp Gawd

Here's a couple shots of 1080i material being played 1:1 on a FW900. These are the best shots that I could manage with my camera.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. seigejet

seigejet Limp Gawd

I was going to pick one up right away, but with the Red Sox not quite out of the playoffs, I'll have to hold off for a few days (unless they win 2 our of 3; cleveland loses or their whole team gets food poisoning or something)

21. mathesar

mathesar [H]ard|Gawd

It's not easy getting good shots off tv's / monitors but heres my attempt,

Men in Black 1080i w/ monitor set 1900x1200 res:

[​IMG]

22. stevewm

stevewm 2[H]4U

Well my current 17" KDS CRT is on its way out (2 bad caps that I cannot find a easy source for!) and I have beeen eyeing the FW900 for quite some time....

Does anyone know the difference between the FW900 and the FW9012??? I only ask because it seems the HP OEM is actually based off the FW9012. And is the HP OEM any different at all from the Sony branded? I only ask because I would rather go for the $75 cheaper HP OEM on eBay :)

My Google searches have failed me and Sony's site of course no longer has any information on this.. not that I can find anyways.

23. mathesar

mathesar [H]ard|Gawd

The HP and Sony have identical specs ,both also have the same dual inputs (VGA & BNC) ,You're probably just paying extra for the Sony name but I gotta admit I wasnt 100% sure of any differances wich is why I paid the extra $75...Still a great deal considering its retail $2,300 price tag :)

24. Orange.exe

Orange.exe Limp Gawd

25. Alowishus

Alowishus Limp Gawd

How are these at doing 4:3 aspect ratio? A lot of games dont natively support widescreen and cannot be hacked to run in 16:10. Are the sidebars really that bad?

26. mathesar

mathesar [H]ard|Gawd

You get about a 19" viewable area when dealing with 4:3 content so its not to bad (Basicly the same viewable area as a normal 4:3 21" monitor), you can also eliminate the sidebars by stretching the screen if you wanted.

Heres what 4:3 looks like by default:

[​IMG]

27. dentaku

dentaku Limp Gawd

Well this thread convinced me to order one of these instead of the other monitors I was concidering (2060u or l90d+ ) About how long after you purchased it did the monitor get delivered?

28. mathesar

mathesar [H]ard|Gawd

Well for me it took 1 week to arrive after the seller had shipped it via DHL (he shipped it the next morning) but mine had to travel 3,200 miles, I was alittle worried about it being shipped that far via ground shipping but he packed it very well with plenty of bubble wrap.

29. texuspete00

texuspete00 [H]ardness Supreme

After I cleaned mine up I noticed there is a very thin scratch. :(

It's like a 2.5 hour drive out there for me. Maybe he'll let me swap it and go up there and pick one.

30. serbiaNem

serbiaNem 2[H]4U

Post a shot of duke nukem forever when u get it.

31. synergyo1

synergyo1 2[H]4U

Takes about a week if you are on the west coast... Massachussettes to Seattle, WA is a longs way.

I ordered mine last tuesday and expecting it to arrive tomorrow.

32. mathesar

mathesar [H]ard|Gawd

I wonder if theres a way to get 1680x1050 working on this monitor , I can select 1600x1024 but the next available 16:10 res is 1900x1200 (wich is what im running now but text can be a bit small at times) ..The Dell 2005FPW uses 1680x1050 wich is also a 16:10 display , anyone know of a program that might make it work? Or would it not be a good idea .. I wouldnt want to risk damaging the monitor.

33. Orange.exe

Orange.exe Limp Gawd

i ordered friday night, and got a response saying it would ship monday and they would email me and give me a tracking number, but i havent gotten anything yet. Im starting to worry :(

34. doox00

doox00 2[H]4U

just go to dell.com and click on order status, put in your order number and zip code.. will give you details of your order.

35. Orange.exe

Orange.exe Limp Gawd

no, its from an ebay seller (fw900 :D ) but they sent me the tracking number and all is now well :)

36. blindrocket

blindrocket Gawd

Wow, amazing.

And with the Xbox 360 supporting VGA out of the box, this should be a no-brainer for those wanting HDTV gaming on the cheap.

Too bad PS3 is HDMI only it seems.

37. doox00

doox00 2[H]4U

oops lmao, I got confused of which thread I was in, I knew I was in displays section so figured it had to be a 2405 thread :p

38. Orange.exe

Orange.exe Limp Gawd

out of the box? where did you read that? I know the ps2 can play games on a pc monitor through a vga adapter, but many adapters for it give the screen horrible quality since(to my knowlege) the ps2 doesnt support vga.. If the 360 supports vga out of the box, would that mean the cable adapter wouldnt worsen the quality? (that was my biggest fear actually)

39. blindrocket

blindrocket Gawd

Well, there's always the chance that I'm wrong. ;) But I'm pretty sure that it will be out of the box, either that or they will have a VGA adapter for you to buy. But I do know that on release day you will be able to hook the 360 up to a VGA monitor for High-Def gaming goodness on the cheap.

40. mathesar

mathesar [H]ard|Gawd

Xbox360 will have a VGA cable available to buy ,you can see it on this page :)

"Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable
    Showcase stunning Xbox 360 high-definition graphics on your PC monitor or HDTV using the VGA input. Play high-quality audio with the included Stereo connection or utilize the Optical Audio port for digital sound.
    Suggested retail price: $39.99"