24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by mathesar, Sep 13, 2005.

1. jka

jka n00bie

I dont know about you, but these look very similar in a room with lights on:

1) Brightness 31% with LUT adjustment

2) Brightness 44% without LUT adjustment

I am bringing this up because the LUTs are a pain to make "stick" in a lot of games I play so I am considering my other options. I even made a batch script that would load my LUTs after loading a game but when it did work the game looked nothing like it should or I was used to. Its possible game devs use LUT adjustment for some artistic changes so if you load a technically correct LUT, the game will look like shit (usually washed out).

But LUTs are very good for tv/movies as I have found, the wire or house of cards are just perfect, very natural looking.

2. jbltecnicspro

jbltecnicspro [H]ardness Supreme

I don't really know how to answer this. You should never skip any of the temperatures as the service software is designed to handle the WPB adjustment as an entire process, with no steps skipped. Skipping steps is just begging for trouble. I don't know exactly what the software does (since it's closed source), but I can tell you via watching my monitor react as it goes through the steps, the system is making calculations based on your adjustments at each step, and so skipping any step is not smart.

125cd/m2 is way too bright for long-term use for these monitors. You're just going to consume your tube. Full white at 100 cd/m2 is plenty.

So, no matter what your opinion is on 6500k and 5400k, you really should do the whole procedure and not stop in the middle. My two cents - take it or leave it. I only use the 6500k mode on my monitor. But whenever I WPB calibrate my screens, I always do 9300 and 5400 too.

3. fagoatse

fagoatse n00bie

4. christpunchers

christpunchers Limp Gawd

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  5. Derupter

Derupter Limp Gawd

Yes it is the best
    DPU3000-D2 is for video cards with mini displayport
    DPU3000-D3 is for video cards with displayport
    It seems that to have full stability it is required the USB Type-A to Micro USB Cable for additional power and i don't know if it is included
    On the Sunix website the usb cable is shown as included,but better to wait confirm from other users

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  6. Aktan

Aktan [H]Lite

It does not include the USB cable. It does seem more stabile since some card don't provide enough power, but you may be able to get by without it.

7. Strat_84

Strat_84 Limp Gawd

The D3 version I received included the USB cable, and the D2 should as well. That's why I told earlier that I wondered if the ones on sale on Amazon weren't refurbished (with means potentially problems and/or parts lacking).

8. Aktan

Aktan [H]Lite

You may be right. I did pay a cheaper price. I guess I got lucky in that there are no problems with the unit itself.

9. christpunchers

christpunchers Limp Gawd

Okay so the USB cable: does that need to be plugged into a phone charger or something or is it supposed to be plugged into a computer’s USB port?

I ordered the D3 last night. Will test it out in a few days.

10. Aktan

Aktan [H]Lite

You should be able to plug it into the computer's USB.

11. Petrasescu_Lucian

Petrasescu_Lucian n00bie

I bought the Sunix DPU3000-D3 from Amazon about a week ago. The package includes, besides the splitter itself, the miniDP-to-DP cable and the micro USB cable both 10 cm long.
    I have a GTX980 running on Windows 7 x64 and two 21" CRTs, the Dell P1130 and Sony GDM-F520.
    I use CRU, NVIDIA pixel clock patcher and the GeForce control panel to set-up custom resolutions.
    If I only connect the included DP cable the LED on the Sunix splitter lights-up barely but when I also connect the USB cable the LED intensity increases.
    THE GOOD NEWS: On both CRTs the image quality and responsiveness is as good if not better than the integrated RAMDAC. I can see no ghosting or text doubling or shadows around icons, the image is as sharp and colourful while input lag is virtually non-existent. While playing a fast paced shooter like Call of Duty 1 I have the feeling is even faster than the 980's RAMDAC but that could also be my imagination. Definitely as good!
    THE BAD NEWS: No matter what I do I can't get the splitter to be stable above 1920×1440 :(
    I can do 85Hz on the Dell and 90Hz on the Sony at that resolution and everything is perfect. As soon as I try 2048x1536 the monitors lose sync and go to standby about 50% percent of the time. It doesn't matter what refresh I try from 60 to 80Hz (85Hz on the F520) the signal is lost either when I restart Windows, change resolutions and return to 2048x1536 or simply when doing nothing and wait long enough. I do find it weird as 85Hz seems more stable than 60Hz. I tried all modes, GTF, DMT, CVT, even manually adjusting polarities...same thing. What is stranger is if I try higher resolutions until I saturate the horizontal bandwidth of the monitors they do not lose sync anymore and shut down as they did on 2048x1536. Instead I see some rippling wavy like artefacts or the image is displaced in such a way that, for instance, the right side goes to the far left of the monitor while the left part of the image is moved to the middle. It doesn't stay like that much and soon I get rapid black screen flickering on the top part of the image. I didn't bother much with resolutions above 2048x1536 as the the text becomes very small, blurry and hard to read.
    I tried a different DP cable who did not lit up the LED and required the use of the included USB cable to power up the splitter. The results were the same.
    The included USB cable doesn't provide any benefit. Everything works the same with or without it but I do recommend keeping it plugged in to be sure as the LED lights up brighter with it.
    I've also tried to power the splitter with a different USB cable, either to a motherboard USB port or a 5.3V 2.0A USB phone charger plugged to the wall. Same behaviour.
    Quite disappointed actually :(

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    spacediver likes this.
  12. Aktan

Aktan [H]Lite

Thanks for your report! Glad to have more NVidia reports. Have you tried a refresh rate of like 72 Hz? Would you know how to try these out in Ubuntu also? I'm curious to figure out of it's the unit or something else.

13. Petrasescu_Lucian

Petrasescu_Lucian n00bie

Yes, I tried increments of 1Hz from 60 to 85 at resolutions very close to 2048x1536 like modifying x to 2040 or 2060 while increasing y to about 1600 etc...
    For a 4:3 picture the monitors shut down from 1530 to about 1600 vertical lines no matter the refresh rate. After 1600 the splitter is "stable" but I get the artefacts and symptoms mentioned earlier.
    I don't have a Linux PC available to test. Sorry

14. Aktan

Aktan [H]Lite

How about live USB stick of Ubuntu? That's what I did, lol.

15. Petrasescu_Lucian

Petrasescu_Lucian n00bie

I never used Ubuntu before but I think I can give it a shot when I have some free time again. Does CRU work in Ubuntu? I use it to generate the INF monitor driver file with only the resolutions I'm interested in.
    Honestly I doubt is the OS. I initially suspected the DP cable but after trying a different one that does not power the splitter I can safely say it's the splitter fault for the instability.

16. Strat_84

Strat_84 Limp Gawd

I'm a bit dubious about a responsiveness improvement but it is absolutely possible that the image quality is better with the adapter than with the internal DAC of a 980. Nvidia analog outputs have a reputation of mediocre quality.

17. Enhanced Interrogator

Enhanced Interrogator Gawd

Interesting, my Sunix could 1920x1440@90hz no problem. Likewise with 2560x1920@70hz, as well as other crazy resolutions.

One thing the Sunix does is pass the EDID from the monitor to the GPU. On Radeon cards, it seems that I'll get a hard limit on max pixel clock because of that. I'm not sure if EDID data has an influence on Nvidia's behavior, but I'm just throwing that out there.

Also make sure Nvidia is reporting the full 5.4 Gbps clock for DP 1.2 connections. On my AMD card you can view that somewhere in the driver control panel.

18. Petrasescu_Lucian

Petrasescu_Lucian n00bie

Interesting. One particular thing that I did not report was the Dell P1130 acts differently than the F520 when I install the INF monitor driver created with CRU. While on the integrated DAC there's no difference between the two, with the Sunix splitter the Dell monitor doesn't register the 2048x1536 resolution in either Windows 7 display resolutions list or NVIDIA control panel. I have to manually add it in custom resolutions section of NVCP. With the F520 that resolution is registered immediately just like when it's connected to the integrated DAC.
    I suppose this could be done on the Dell by editing the EDID data? Still, the splitter is as unstable on either monitor at that resolution...
    I have no idea how to check DP link speed for my GTX980 card.

19. Enhanced Interrogator

If somebody wants to mail me a GTX 1080 I can do some further testing on this ;)

DanNeely and danny_discus like this.
  20. Aktan

Aktan [H]Lite

Oh, you're new to Ubuntu. Um, it might not be that easy unless you're okay with command line. In Ubuntu you don't need a third party app like CRU, it has CRU function built in. You can add any resolution.

Edit: On WIndows on AMD, we can't add interlaced resolutions after a certain point but it works fine in Ubuntu, so it can still be a driver issue.

21. Enhanced Interrogator

Not sure if I've mentioned this, but another issue for AMD on Windows is that it will read the monitor's EDID, and set a max pixel clock based off of it. I'm not totally sure how it arrives at that max pixel clock, but I think it sets it at 110mHz above whatever is reported as the max clock in the EDID. For example, my LaCie states a max of 420mHz, but AMD allows up to 530, and my Dell p992 states 240mHz, but AMD allows up to 330. No workaround I can see right now, I need to figure out how to reprogram my HDMI dummy plug to have a high max pixel clock.

22. christpunchers

christpunchers Limp Gawd

I’m having trouble getting the sunix to give me proper 1920x1200. The monitor becomes “Synaptics Inc”. I installed the FW900 on top of that. Every time I add custom resolution using Nvidia’s control panel, it keep showing me a very distorted version of 1920x1200. Can anyone provide a step by step guide on how to properly getting the Sunix running on DisplayPort?

Edit: Never mind, I’ve set it to “GTF” mode and seems to be working okay now. Is this the correct mode for CRT?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  23. Aktan

Aktan [H]Lite

Use CVT. GTF is the older version.

24. Enhanced Interrogator

I think you need to plug your FW900 into the Sunix before you connect the power and displayport cable. That should pass through the FW900's EDID to the graphics card.

25. christpunchers

christpunchers Limp Gawd

Thanks. It’s working fine now. Everything looks good so far, able to get to high resolutions and high refresh rates not possible with the previous adapter

26. Derupter

Derupter Limp Gawd

Most of the CRT monitors if not all are GTF compliant.
    For CRT by default,without custom resolutions,the display driver uses GTF timings or DMT.
    DMT isn't a timing formula,it is a list of resolutions with various refresh rate,if you set a resolution on a CRT which is on that list the driver uses those timings,otherwise it uses GTF formula.
    Timings on DMT list can be custom(old resolutions),GTF or CVT(new resolutions),so for some resolutions if you set DMT or GTF is the same thing,for other resolutions DMT is the same as CVT,for old resolutions like example 1024x768 85Hz DMT is different from both GTF and CVT.
    CVT reduced and secondary GTF are only for LCD monitors.
    When using custom resolutions you can set any timing formula you like,but you have to keep in mind that if you change the formula of a resolution previously adjusted and stored in the monitor's memory,you will need to adjust the geometry again.
    Some time ago i asked ToastyX to implement GTF on CRU utility and it seems that last preview version has it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  27. Petrasescu_Lucian

Petrasescu_Lucian n00bie

UPDATE:
    I borrowed a GTX 1070 and the results are identical to my 980.
    I even tried a VGA-5BNC cable (same outcome) but I had the added inconvenience of CRU resolutions not working this time since with this cable the only info transmitted is RGBHV and no EDID data. I have to manually create ALL resolutions in NVIDIA custom res panel so I recommend using a standard VGA cable but with all pins active.
    Again, resolutions at or close to 2048x1536 make the monitors go into standby very often.
    I toyed with the highest resolution my F520 produces a somewhat sharp image at 60Hz, namely 2533x1900.
    The monitor doesn't shutdown but I get the rippling/waving and displaced parts of the image symptoms.
    Will further lower the resolution in small increments to see if this behavior continues.

28. cdoublejj

cdoublejj [H]Lite

whats the difference bet the sony FW900 and the SGI FW9011? Purley badging? I noticed on my FW 9011 that windows 10 doesn't pick up the EDID info, just displays a generic plug and play monitor.

EDIT: GTX908M for me, i often have to add 2304x1440 custom resolution via nivida control panel however it only outputs it at 75hz, i should give 80hz a try again. i often to manually reset resolution when i turn it on, if I walk away for too long with it turned off.

29. Derupter

Derupter Limp Gawd

So you can do 1920x1440 90 Hz but 2048x1536 isn't stable even at 60Hz?
    Indeed very strange
    Do other users have problems with 2048x1536 resolution?

30. danny_discus

danny_discus Gawd

I have the 980GTX and Sunix adapter, I also have the rippling effects when plugged into the displayport closest to the bottom of the card. I unplugged that and tried the topmost displayport and the rippling went away. Prior I thought this was related to the usb power supply but it appears not. From what I read all DP ports are the same on the card so not sure what is going on. Resolution is 2304x1440@80

31. Derupter

Derupter Limp Gawd

2048x1536 75 Hz is stable?

32. danny_discus

danny_discus Gawd

33. cdoublejj

cdoublejj [H]Lite

a year or 2 ago someone mentioned in this thread a full on black box small production number expensive low latency adapter box of some sort. it sounded like a indiegogo or kickstarter type deal

34. christpunchers

christpunchers Limp Gawd

I see. I guess CVT and GTF are quite similar. Though CVT uses less pixel clock. I’m using 78hz instead of 85hz. I find my unit to be slightly sharper with lower refresh rate.

35. XoR_

XoR_ Limp Gawd

This Sunix adapter is rated to operate at pixel clock close to 400MHz?

If not then it is simply overclocking lottery and some adapters will work fine, others will not...

36. Aktan

Aktan [H]Lite

Good question, Sunix doesn't know the spec, and Synaptics is hard to contact, so I don't know what the rated clock is.

37. spacediver

spacediver 2[H]4U

Badging, and I think EDID info reflects the particular variant.

cdoublejj likes this.
  38. Strat_84

Strat_84 Limp Gawd

Given that something like 500-600Mhz pixel clocks were reached, I doubt this is the case. The main problem must rather be drivers/OSes not allowing some resolutions or proper displayport lane speeds to be used.
    Crimson AMD drivers are a source of problems to select the resolutions you wish on Windows, it's not totally unexpected to see similar issues with Nvidia.

39. cdoublejj

cdoublejj [H]Lite

i've heard of RAMDAC over clocking but, every card i've ever seen hasa 400mhz RAMDAC

40. Petrasescu_Lucian

Petrasescu_Lucian n00bie

My splitter is practically unusable above 1920x1440. At 2048x1536, any refresh rate from 60 to 85Hz makes the monitor go into standby randomly but frequently.
    At resolutions above this, the splitter either produces rippling/waving artefacts or displaces the image like in the attached photo about 50% of the time.

Attached Files: