24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

So my adaptor arrived today. Tried testing it out, but here's the rub. My laptop has onboard Intel HD 630, and an Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti, but apparently it's impossible to get the Nvidia GPU as the primary GPU to control the display.

So I was limited to using intel's custom resolution stuff, which doesn't work properly at all (for one thing, the vertical front porch, vertical back porch, and vertical sync width don't add up to the total vertical pixels). And it wouldn't reliably make the CRT click when i tried hitting apply.

However, I was able to get the default resolution of my laptop to show on the CRT (1920x1080 and at 85 hz). When I hit the OSD button on the CRT, it said 85 hz and a horizontal frequency of 96.4 KHz, which if I'm not mistaken corresponds to a pixel clock of 252.9 MHz. The image looked stable and fine.

So my guess is that this adaptor might actually work. The issue is getting it connected to a thunderbolt / USB-C port through a decent GPU (i.e. not Intel).

Did CRU work with your laptop?

just looked into that. This one does.

But I don't think you need a GPU with USB-C or Thunderbolt 3, just a motherboard that has the port. And you can get add on USB-C cards for regular motherboards, I believe. So it may easier than expected :)

Did you see my reply on previous page about USB-C adapters?
With the Sunix card you can connect that adapter wherever you want.
Motherboards with USB-C in most cases works only in USB mode,sometimes the chip is connected with the Displayport lanes of the integrated GPU,but it will never work for output from your dedicated video card.
Displayport alternate mode from USB-C works only if the USB chip can access the displayport lanes of your video card,and it is what Sunix and Delock cards do.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Did CRU work with your laptop?

Was gonna try, but then read that CRU only works with Nvidia and AMD GPUs, not Intel. I may try just to see what happens.

Did you see my reply on previous page about USB-C adapters?

hah, missed that (or more likely, it didn't register since I didn't understand at that time what USB-C is). Just read it now. Looks like we both went down the same rabbit hole, though you somewhat deeper :)

With the Sunix card you can connect that adapter wherever you want.
Motherboards with USB-C in most cases works only in USB mode,sometimes the chip is connected with the Displayport lanes of the integrated GPU,but it will never work for output from your dedicated video card.
Displayport alternate mode from USB-C works only if the USB chip can access the displayport lanes of your video card,and it is what Sunix and Delock cards do.

Nice :)

Last edited:
Use this https://geizhals.eu/1186365303 and choose the shop,jacob.de has good shipping costs out of Germany.
Are you aware of the problems of this final version?
Have you read the previous discussions?
The GTX 1070 of my brother is the only positive result for now (it's a MSI Gaming X),etienne51 has a GTX 1080 and the adapter worked badly with that.
Three others report with AMD and Nvidia are all negative.

Obviously yes, but after all you were able to achieve stable 343 MHz. You never know if they wouldn't stop shipments or for whatever reason they wouldn't be available. It's better having one that has potential to work correctly rather than having none, especially that they are quite cheap.

Not that I really need it urgently because 980Ti is most often enough for 1920x1200 that I use, but there is always room to improve (like using DSR).

Was gonna try, but then read that CRU only works with Nvidia and AMD GPUs, not Intel. I may try just to see what happens.

This is on first page of CRU forum:
Requirements:
On some laptop there is the possibility to render a game with the dedicated GPU and output through the integrated one which is connected to the USB-C port,example the Razer Blade,in these cases USB-C adapters works good for output to a CRT.

Obviously yes, but after all you were able to achieve stable 343 MHz. You never know if they wouldn't stop shipments or for whatever reason they wouldn't be available. It's better having one that has potential to work correctly rather than having none, especially that they are quite cheap.

Not that I really need it urgently because 980Ti is most often enough for 1920x1200 that I use, but there is always room to improve (like using DSR).

Yes 345 MHz and 347 MHz the two samples,but only on GTX 1070,on AMD 7950 only the prototype works good.
You are right,better to have one or two to fix than nothing,especially considering the low cost.

Last edited:
holy shit, it worked!!!!

Image looked fine as far as I could tell, and OSD reported 85 hz, 107.1 KHz :D

1920x1200 @ 85 hz is indeed possible with this adaptor. When I have time, I'll see whether I can get 10 bit LUT precision.

Nice,try to see if it goes over 330 MHz,between a stable image and black screen usually there are 2,max 3 MHz and in the middle there is noise.

I'll try 2304x1440 at various refresh rates tomorrow, won't be able to tonight. What do you mean by stable and black screen and 2 or 3 MHz?

Example with my adapter:
340 MHz stable image
340,6 MHz it start to show some noise on windows borders
from 340.6 to 341.5 the noise increase and it start to lose sync
near 342 MHz black screen,the resolution isn't accepted,so i press esc to return to previous resolution
So the margin between a stable image and black screen is very small
Before CRU restart set always a stable resolution,then switch to the test resolution,otherwise you can't return to previous resolution in case the image is totally unstable or black screen.

I don't want to troll, I am joking...
But this thread should be mentioned in the guinnes world record.
It refuses to die. Just like our love for CRT. I've actually dismantled my F520. I have that signal ringing thing that tends to plague them. I've got the video board under a magnifying glass looking for cracked solder.

speaking by myself, i do not consider myself a crt lover eventhough i use crt and still prefer it, because so far is the only display tech i have witnessed that allow me to have a colorfull, realistic looking and moving, fast and very flexible gaming experience with minimal flaws compared to modern monitor technology, plus the mix of having those features with the addition of a modern computer monitor display size and widescreen formats up to 2k, refresh rates up to 160hz is for me what makes the fw900 so long live and dissapointly not even yet quality matched

i find pretty ridiculous that in 2017, after so many years that the crt technology was discontinued and even crt analog input support from modern graphics card is dropped, there is no feature rich modern monitor (such the ones i mentioned in the previous page) that can match a monitor like the fw900 yet.

so i agree this thread should be mentioned in the guinnes world record as a discontinued 2003 monitor and crt tech still in 2017 being unable to be quality matched, so current display manufacturers should feel ashamed and if they want to force to use their current computer monitor technolgies, should stop producing mediocre products.

Last edited:
so i agree this thread should be mentioned in the guinnes world record as a discontinued 2003 monitor and crt tech still in 2017 being unable to be quality matched, so current display manufacturers should feel ashamed and if they want to force to use their current computer monitor technolgies, should stop producing mediocre products.
I totally agree with you, but the sad truth is that everything is about Profit.

When the LCD technology came out it was a financial dream for manufacturers:
- a drastic cut in the logistical costs (less heavy, less bulky, less prone to be destroyed by transport)
- a nice bump in profit (LCD panels are quite cheap to produce, and on the top of that the switch to shit display ratios like 16:9 allowed to increase the amount of screens produced per panel surface while keeping the same display size on the box).

successfully ran it @ 335 MHz (2304x1440@70 hz), but not 340 MHz (2304x1440@71 hz).

Loaded a full screen wallpaper and it looked gorgeous.

Well,probably it has the same design as Delock USB-C version (ANX9847+ANX7402),maybe with Sunix card you lose a few MHz,but it can handle without problems 1920x1200 96Hz.

Any updates from Delock ?

I received the first answer this morning after a month of silence,the girl with whom I discussed in these months is the product manager,she was sick and back to work now,so all messages i sent her in the last month were read today.
She told me that if the problem is only the cable or the connector they can solve this issue and come back to me as soon as possible

Well,probably it has the same design as Delock USB-C version (ANX9847+ANX7402),maybe with Sunix card you lose a few MHz,but it can handle without problems 1920x1200 96Hz.

I received the first answer this morning after a month of silence,the girl with whom I discussed in these months is the product manager,she was sick and back to work now,so all messages i sent her in the last month were read today.
She told me that if the problem is only the cable or the connector they can solve this issue and come back to me as soon as possible

Great! Looking forward to ordering one to get my fw900 up and running with titan pascal!

Mailing moome In Taiwan A adapter to look at, not sure what to expect also linking Moome this email to join the discussion hopefully.

I totally agree with you, but the sad truth is that everything is about Profit.

When the LCD technology came out it was a financial dream for manufacturers:
- a drastic cut in the logistical costs (less heavy, less bulky, less prone to be destroyed by transport)
- a nice bump in profit (LCD panels are quite cheap to produce, and on the top of that the switch to shit display ratios like 16:9 allowed to increase the amount of screens produced per panel surface while keeping the same display size on the box).

yes thats an undestandable truth, money rules over everything and because of that, computer monitor quality improvements development have been so weak also since a lot of customers base their purchasing desitions on monitor aestetics primary rather than on display image quality features.

i would not expect CRT tech to be produced again but at least, at this era of technology and close to 2018 i would expect something like OLED monitors with excelent latency, variable refresh rates like something between 60-120hz at least, excelent life like motion clarity at any refreshes, resolutions between 1080p - 4k at least and to be highly available as gaming monitors at least, with decent price, and primitive TN based monitors should be discontinued long time ago.

sad that close to 2018 that continues to be just a dream.

Last edited:
EDIT: I'm going to put it on eBay and see what I get. May as well recover some of the cost.

Last edited:
This is a very impressive monitor and thread. I bet even though it is not a supported resolution, if you use vga you'll be able to run 2560x1600 no problem. That's what I run on a Lacie 22" connected to an older Lenovo thin client. It is pretty sad that even decades later, screen technologies aren't completely up to speed with what a $2k+ CRT was back in the day. I have several CRTs from this era that are still running strong and others that need some sort of service (but who can service these anymore).

If you're going to give away your F520, I'd put it up on ebay with a no reserve bid and local pickup only. Someone out there hopefully will come get it and continue loving it. That was one of the pinnacle monitors in the days of CRT displays.

Hey guys,

So my F520 has developed a bit of a functional issue. Life circumstances are changing drastically, and I don't expect that I can sell it for anything because if this, and because of my life changes, I cannot repair this nor can I keep it. It works fine, except that the video board sometimes loses sync. It usually takes an unplug, and plug back in of the power cord to clear, but it's definitely an issue. Other than this functional issue, the monitor works and looks great. It is free to anyone who wants to come pick it up. If it is not picked up I will have to recycle it, and I really don't want to do it. Private message me if you want to come get it. I'm located in Missouri.
May it find a new home, it deserves love ! :)

Good news,next week Delock will send me two new improved adapters to test,i don't know what they have improved,we'll see.
I have a question for those who bought and tested the adapter,did you have any problems with tightening the vga cable to the adapter?

Any link to buy this adapter you’re speaking of? I’m looking for something that can enable 1920x1200@85hz

Here https://hardforum.com/threads/24-wi...ived-comments.952788/page-382#post-1043267847
Probably it will not work correctly and you will need to change the connector or the cable,if you are able to do the job buy it and fix it,you will find all the informations in the previous pages,or wait for the new fixed version from Delock.

Yes the female threads are deep in the housing which makes it difficult to get started

That's what i've noticed too,another thing in which the prototype was better.

Does anyone know how to get the Delock adapter shipped to the United States? All of the sellers seem to be in Germany, and I can't properly input my US address into the shipping form. TIA!

You did read that the current version of the adapter is flawed and you'd better wait a bit for the fixed version right ?

I have an HP A7217A located in Geneva, NY, been sitting in a closet for over a year. Contact me if you want it, pretty sure it still works. Was working when I used it last. Have a pair of VGA <-> BNC cables, HD fury (1st gen used for ps3), and the WinDAS? connector?, been a while since I've used it. All is free to good home.

Im in canandaigua and would love to take it off your hands. The color would be perfect for my retrofitted skylake 1995 IBM Aptiva: http://imgur.com/a/fvh1M

mumble, that's awesome - 2016 and somoene bringing a CRT, let alone an FW900 to a lan party is nothing short of epic :)

btw, the plugable adaptor has turned out to be useful. I can now bring my laptop home from work and be productive on the FW900:

9iy5oz.png

I hope the ugly person who dared beating that FW900 was punished accordingly, it's simply inhuman to do that to such a nice screen. :eek:

mumble, that's awesome - 2016 and somoene bringing a CRT, let alone an FW900 to a lan party is nothing short of epic :)
Well its hard to be as awesome as me.

Yes for those who don't know that is me, in the ragged jacket. I needed help with it since I drove 3200 Miles from Greenville, North Carolina to Seattle, washington in 56 hours. I was a wee bit tired of hauling ass shall we say. Was fun, I cam second in Xonotic only because (now former friend who is also banned from our group) shook the table I was playing on during the match to be "funny".

Overall was a great trip.

Also I can use help, I am trying buy one of this DELOCKS so I can mail to taiwan for MOOME but

I DONT KNOW HOW TO SHIP FROM THESE GERMAN SITES TO TAIWAN And I cant covert the pages to english so I can have moome help me, URG ITS DRIVING ME MAD.

Back