24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

Is my monitor done for? Every time I try to do an image restore it completely turns off right after. When I turn it back on it has to warm up. Also, shouldn't the menu be right in the center? I've noticed mine was way to the left.

Provided that the gun(s) are OK and the tube has decent emission, the unit's ABLs are off and the monitor needs to be calibrated and adjusted via WinDAS/WinCAT.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

Not sure as to the first part of the question. The second part - you can move the OSD position on the screen. Can't remember the name off the top of my head but it's in the lower right hand corner of the menu.
Thanks I see it.

Provided that the gun(s) are OK and the tube has decent emission, the unit's ABLs are off and the monitor needs to be calibrated and adjusted via WinDAS/WinCAT.

Hope this helps...
Sincerely,
Unkle Vito!

Hmm interesting, so it still might be ok. Once adjusted will the image restoration process work?

Once adjusted you won't need the image restoration procedure. In fact, I find that after I adjust a couple of things on the monitor via WinDAS, the Image Restoration will change some of the values, so I generally leave it alone.

Unkle Vito - you keep mentioning WinCAT. What exactly is this?

Can someone recommend me a WinDAS cable to buy?

I was watching this youtube video on how to adjust the g2 value
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpbveKhYfn4

he recommends
USB To TTL / COM Converter Module buildin-in CP2102

I'm a little confused though, In the video @ 1:20 he has something else connected to the monitor and that to the USB To TTL/COM.
So if I buy the USB To TTL/COM I also need the one that connects to the monitor?

Last edited:
rlc-3 ttl cable is what you want. Just be warned - WinDAS ain't user friendly. At all. Start small and work your way up. What is the monitor doing exactly that doesn't look right?

It's really bright even if brightness is set to 0 and image restoration doesn't work. So I need the rlc-3 ttl cable and that hooks up to the SB To TTL converter?

It's really bright even if brightness is set to 0 and image restoration doesn't work. So I need the rlc-3 ttl cable and that hooks up to the SB To TTL converter?

No converter needed for the RLC-3. Simply get the order of the cable headers correct and you're good to go. As far as brightness, it's an easy fix. Let us know when you get it, and we can go from there. Excited? :D

No converter needed for the RLC-3. Simply get the order of the cable headers correct and you're good to go. As far as brightness, it's an easy fix. Let us know when you get it, and we can go from there. Excited? :D

Thanks you have been really helpful. Where did you purchase your RLC-3 cable from? And yeah I'm stoked about getting this awesome monitor up and running again.

Thanks I see it.

Hmm interesting, so it still might be ok. Once adjusted will the image restoration process work?

You need much more that just a simple image restore. The monitor needs to be factory adjusted to Sony specs via WinDAS/WinCAT.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

Once adjusted you won't need the image restoration procedure. In fact, I find that after I adjust a couple of things on the monitor via WinDAS, the Image Restoration will change some of the values, so I generally leave it alone.

Unkle Vito - you keep mentioning WinCAT. What exactly is this?

Actually is WinCATs (I drop the "S" so it will not sound as plural) is the other Sony application that is used to perform precision white balance and colors adjustments on Sony CDP, GDM and HMDA line of CRT monitors.

CATs stand for Color Adjustment Tool for Service (CATs). This program is only available to Sony authorized service centers.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

Actually is WinCATs (I drop the "S" so it will not sound as plural) is the other Sony application that is used to perform precision white balance and colors adjustments on Sony CDP, GDM and HMDA line of CRT monitors.

CATs stand for Color Adjustment Tool for Service (CATs). This program is only available to Sony authorized service centers.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

Ah okay. Thanks! Was wondering what that was.

I remember reading a thread where someone was describing doing a white balance on a trinitron using winDAS - i wonder if the version floating around has winCATS incorporated into it.

jbltecnicspro, did you see any options for color calibration/white balance when you used winDAS?

I remember reading a thread where someone was describing doing a white balance on a trinitron using winDAS - i wonder if the version floating around has winCATS incorporated into it.

jbltecnicspro, did you see any options for color calibration/white balance when you used winDAS?

Just white balance adjust. That's it. Nothing color related (so to speak :) ).

oh, ok - if it has white balance adjust, I'm guessing that means you have winCATS as part of the package, but not sure.

oh, ok - if it has white balance adjust, I'm guessing that means you have winCATS as part of the package, but not sure.

Oh? So WinDAS can come packaged with other software? Did you ever get the white point balance adjusted on that other Trinitron you have with the DP-94?

sigh, no - i've been lazy about getting around to it. You're still awaiting my results I know :p

I'll do it this wknd promise.

is it possible to do white balance adjustment without winCATs?

If you have the proper instrumentation and know what you are doing, WinDAS adjusts white balance properly.

WinCATs adjust both white balance and colors, and for that you will need an spectroradiometer. We have a Minolta CA-100 and the CA-210 for that. WinDAS and WinCATs, when they are acquired from Sony (legit licenses), both require dongles and registration to be activated. Otherwise, they will not work.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

If you have the proper instrumentation and know what you are doing, WinDAS adjusts white balance properly.

WinCATs adjust both white balance and colors, and for that you will need an spectroradiometer. We have a Minolta CA-100 and the CA-210 for that. WinDAS and WinCATs, when they are acquired from Sony (legit licenses), both require dongles and registration to be activated. Otherwise, they will not work.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

Wait - so we're using illegitimate versions of WinDAS then? Interesting. Also - what does "aging" do in WinDAS? Is there any benefit to this?

Wait - so we're using illegitimate versions of WinDAS then? Interesting. Also - what does "aging" do in WinDAS? Is there any benefit to this?

That is correct! The legitimate version has a dongle, an special probe, requires registration of the serial number and dongle, and it has all the monitors files. The cracked version floating around the internet does not.

Aging mode mode warms up the CRT in preparation to performing color temperature adjustments. You should not touch it.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

thanks for the info - does WinCATs allow for gamut adjustment so that the primaries of the CRT can be remapped to sRGB primaries, for example? I'm just curious about what WinCATs can do that WinDAS cannot.

Last edited:
thanks for the info - does WinCATs allow for gamut adjustment so that the primaries of the CRT can be remapped to sRGB primaries, for example? I'm just curious about what WinCATs can do that WinDAS cannot.

WinCATs adjust the colors to fall within the gamut defaults settings of the monitor. The sRGB color space is irrelevant, as it is an automatic self-adjustment process that comes at the end of the adjustment and calibration process of the three primary reference points.

The sRGB (often referred as s#$t RGB) is seldom used by professional service bureaus, photographers, color correction houses and others.

For advanced users experimenting with monitor adjustments and calibrations, I strongly suggest to stick with WinDAS, acquire the proper equipment and instrumentation, learn it inside and out, and have fun ruining a few cheap CRT monitors before you get to the big dance and a date with the GDM-FW900.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

Last edited:
I would like to. But I think I'm just going to hold off on getting all of that equipment. Man, I can't wait to be able to send my unit to you for calibration. :)

I would like to. But I think I'm just going to hold off on getting all of that equipment. Man, I can't wait to be able to send my unit to you for calibration. :)

We are here to help the professionals who still use these rare gems. Now days, they are rare...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

WinCATs adjust the colors to fall within the gamut defaults settings of the monitor. The sRGB color space is irrelevant, as it is an automatic self-adjustment process that comes at the end of the adjustment and calibration process of the three primary reference points.

The sRGB (often referred as s#$t RGB) is seldom used by professional service bureaus, photographers, color correction houses and others.

Yea sRGB cuts off a fair amount of the color space, but it is the standard for HD video.

Also, from what i can tell, the native gamut of the FW900 is pretty close to sRGB, although, at least on my unit, the green primary is slightly more saturated than sRGB's green, which also allows for more intense cyan.

I'm assuming that when one uses expert color mode, it defaults to the native gamut of the monitor? So with expert color mode, if I had an RGB signal of 255,0,0 it'll only fire the red gun, correct?

Last edited:
Yea sRGB cuts off a fair amount of the color space, but it is the standard for HD video.

Also, from what i can tell, the native gamut of the FW900 is pretty close to sRGB, although, at least on my unit, the green primary is slightly more saturated than sRGB's green, which also allows for more intense cyan.

I'm assuming that when one uses expert color mode, it defaults to the native gamut of the monitor? So with expert color mode, if I had an RGB signal of 255,0,0 it'll only fire the red gun, correct?

The native color space in all the three default reference points of the GDM-FW900, the F520, the C520, and all Premier Pros monitors is Adobe 1998. The sRGB is for reference and it is so far off when the white balance completes the process that becomes irrelevant for color accuracy and matching.

Unkle Vito!

If sRGB is your preferred color space, then you may be able to custom set the calibration parameters in WinDAS/WinCATs by programming these new parameters into one of the pre-set reference points, and then perform the white point balance with the spectrophotometer set to read those specific values and obtain results to delta E of +/- 0.005%. I have done this procedure in trial runs with success.

If you are not proficient in WinDAS/WinCATs and white point balance adjustments, and do not have the required instrumentation, I strongly recommend not to play with it. The process is irreversible and if you don't know what you are doing, the image result will look like the rainbow with all the colors well off specs.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

the FW900 has adobe RGB color space? How can that be. That's one of the widest gamuts out there. As far as I know, very few displays support that color space. The adobe RGB x y chromaticities for the primaries are:

Red: 0.6400 0.3300
Green: 0.2100 0.7100
Blue: 0.1500 0.0600

The green primary of the FW900 is around 0.28, 0.60

Has anyone ever used those Panasonic plasma MONITORS? Not the TV screens, but PC monitors.

Been reading up on "42PF50" but there's hardly any word on it going against the FW900.

Has anyone ever used those Panasonic plasma MONITORS? Not the TV screens, but PC monitors.

Been reading up on "42PF50" but there's hardly any word on it going against the FW900.

I wish they made plasma monitors in the FW900's size. That would be perfect to me. But no, I haven't read anything about it.

Alright guys, a little help here. So I have another monitor from Dell. This one's a Phillips 19-inch screen. Shadow-mask. One issue I'm having is - obviously, it won't work with WinDAS (nor does it have a communications port on it). How would I calibrate or adjust this dude? Right now, brightness is set to 0, but it's not quite as inky as it would be. Is there a G2 pot on the flyback that I can just lower? How safe is it to do this? So long as I don't touch the components right? Especially not the anode cap, lol.

yea i think that should be ok. You probably can even have the monitor running while doing this, although I say this only based on videos I've seen. The pot might be called "screen" instead of G2.

Ok so here is what I have gathered:

1: the ibm p275 and fw900 have almost identical gamuts.

2: the DTP 94 shows virtually identical chromaticities to the i1 pro on both these displays

3: changing the color temperature has no effect on the gamut (which is consistent with what one would expect), however changing to sRGB mode DOES. On both these monitors, the amount changed was tiny, but definitely there.

This tells me that sRGB mode actually remaps the native gamut onto what it thinks is sRGB. This means that if you are able to successfully calibrate sRGB in winDAS or winCAT, you will not need ICC aware applications to render at rec 709 standards!

Last edited:
Back