24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

You should check and tweak the focus pots inside the monitor. Consult someone who knows how to do it. Its very easy but you can die if you are total noob and touch the wrong place ;)

Other than the focus, You should calibrate it properly.. Check some calibration guides for that...heres pretty good info about calibrating CRT's:
http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

Is there any difference from the sony original and the HP oem? and also, can this be hooked up to HD reciever or xbox360?

And how does it scale to lower resolutions? How low will it go?

Even a year ago I'd have said that monitor was the best around but now with the 2005/2405 it puts a damper on it. Still an awesome monitor but I just couldn't stand the weight of CRT's anymore and had to dump my G520 for that reason.

Tov said:
1600x1024 isn't selectable on mine. 2304x1440 is if I unclick hide modes my monitor cannot run in box. Looking through List All Modes 1600x1024 isn't in the list. Maybe it's my driver version I'm using on my 9800pro?

The ATI drivers don't have 1600x1024 as a standard selectable res. I use Rage3d Tweak to get 1600x1024 res with my ATI cards.

Orange.exe said:
Is there any difference from the sony original and the HP oem? and also, can this be hooked up to HD reciever or xbox360?

And how does it scale to lower resolutions? How low will it go?

The specs are identical between the HP & Sony but im not sure if they use identical parts inside, There is only VGA & BNC inputs on this monitor (No Component inputs) so its not really a good choice for game consoles.. although I do have a VGA adapter for my Gamecube I'll have to see how it looks :)

Wow Gamecube looks SWEET on this monitor using the VGA adapter :eek: All the games I tried supported Widescreen to ,Even tho its only running 640x480 it still looks very nice (Something LCD would choke on big time having to scale down that low!) I'll have to play the new Zelda on this :)

Took a few pics:

starfox_title.jpg

sms1.jpg

windwaker.jpg

mathesarI said:
... have a 20" Sony TV that was made in 1989 and it still works to this day (never been repaired), a near 5 year old Sony G400 19" ,a 2 year old 21" Sony G520P, 3.5 year old 27" Wega and a 2 year old 32" Sony HDTV all still working great.

I agree with you ... our SONY TV's hasve being great. My folks have a 27"SONY from 1990 and still working beautifully with a satellite feed. I think the reason we hear so much faults / RMAs about SONY is since there are SO many more of them sold to the general public, goes hand in hand with number of complaints possible.

On the other hand, still sucks my FW900 isnt working perfect, and I'm not talking so much about the gray-warmup dillema. Trust your gut feelings on ebay auctions, if it don't feel right, cancell your bid, another will come along ...

mathesar said:
Wow Gamecube looks SWEET on this monitor using the VGA adapter :eek: All the games I tried supported Widescreen to ,Even tho its only running 640x480 it still looks very nice (Something LCD would choke on big time having to scale down that low!) I'll have to play the new Zelda on this :)

VGA adapter ? what VGA adapter do you use or is this a GameCube accessory?

mathesar said:

Why is it only at 640x480? Is that the lowest resolution you can get because of the gamecube or because of the cable/monitor?

Also, are there any known problems with this monitor? I know its not manufactured or supported anymore, and didnt want to run into send back problems like people have w/ the dells. Do you think 375 is worth the risk for this monitor?

Orange.exe said:
Why is it only at 640x480? Is that the lowest resolution you can get because of the gamecube or because of the cable/monitor?

Also, are there any known problems with this monitor? I know its not manufactured or supported anymore, and didnt want to run into send back problems like people have w/ the dells. Do you think 375 is worth the risk for this monitor?

None of my Gamecube games support any higher than 480P wich is why its 640x480. It doesnt have anything to do with the monitor itself.

I dont know much about any common issues with this monitor but the problems ive heard people mention is Geometry and Convergence being bad on some units but I would think this applies to any CRT.. ,either way I was kind of worried about it myself before buying but the unit I received is excellent in both categories.

I took a pic but this isnt a perfect example being digital cameras have there own geometry errors (known as Barrel distortion) but you can see its pretty darn good either way.

fw900_geometry.jpg

On the other hand, still sucks my FW900 isnt working perfect, and I'm not talking so much about the gray-warmup dillema. Trust your gut feelings on ebay auctions, if it don't feel right, cancell your bid, another will come along ...

Whats wrong with your FW900?

MrkXCeL said:
VGA adapter ? what VGA adapter do you use or is this a GameCube accessory?

It was a gamecube accessory imported from Japan, it only works with games that support progressive scan but luckily all the good games support it.

couple pics of it: Back and Front.

They make a component to VGA box wich might work well with this monitor for Xbox etc. it also requires a progressive source to work.

Am I the only one who thinks the 2005fpw is just the right size? The 2405 would be too high for my desk anyway.

I think you'll find in any of these Sony/HP or Dell 2405 threads, the answer is yes. Just you! :p

Hell I'd like my inch and a half back!! 2405->HP. I've had these pretty close to my seating position to fill my field of vision just the right amount, no head turning but a drench of the senses. Definitely see why WS is so popular, it's kind of how you see or at least focus. Put the old square box in your face and you get either a pretty empty peripheral vision or so close you have to look up and down. Widescreens are definitely the shit and just feel right going big.

would there be any drawbacks to using a vga adapter vs. composite cables? (would the composite look better?) I THINK the xbox360 will support vga cables, but im not sure

Orange.exe said:
would there be any drawbacks to using a vga adapter vs. composite cables? (would the composite look better?) I THINK the xbox360 will support vga cables, but im not sure

Im assuming you meant Component cables not Composite but yes Xbox360 will have a VGA cable available (can see it here,scroll down a bit) , From what ive been told VGA is basicly the same as Component in the way it works except VGA has higher bandwidth..so technically its better.

That is an amazing monitor. We had three at BOXX and I preferred it over the 24" Sony LCD's that replaced them for HD content...so nice...

Man, this thread has me drooling, and wishing I could afford the HP/Sony CRT AND the 2405FPW. I write a lot and play games. Unfortunately staring at a word processor on a CRT is blurry enough to give me a migraine after an hour or so, and gaming on an LCD isn't nearly as good, especially if the game doesn't support the native resolution of the display.

Any super-rich person out there feel like getting me one of these!! :D :p

so this sony will work really well with the xbox360 with the vga adapter? and would it have good HD image quality?

Ultra Wide said:
It is very nice and all, but for $400 you can just get the 2001FP or 2005FPW. They would be brand new from Dell with a 3-year warranty, not to mention the razor sharp text.

The FW900 was the titan of its day, but CRT is now way on its way out. Maybe 3 years ago I would have been all over this monitor for $400. :)

lol you mean like floppies that have been on thier way out for the last 10+ years and they are STILL here???

On the brink of getting this monitor, literally, but I need to know ONE THING: How is the image quality playing Counter strike source widescreen at 1280x720 resolution? Thats the main game i play right now (well, until I get The Movies and Black and White2). I tried it last night on my monitor and the performance was ok, but I think it would be choppy if i went higher with the res (tis only a ti4200). So how does it look at that res? Does the image quality decrease if you go that low?

Orange.exe said:
On the brink of getting this monitor, literally, but I need to know ONE THING: How is the image quality playing Counter strike source widescreen at 1280x720 resolution? Thats the main game i play right now (well, until I get The Movies and Black and White2). I tried it last night on my monitor and the performance was ok, but I think it would be choppy if i went higher with the res (tis only a ti4200). So how does it look at that res? Does the image quality decrease if you go that low?

This isnt an LCD so you dont have to worry about losing image quality with lower resolutions, The FW900 is 16:10 aspect so you'll have to use 1280x768 or 1280x800 res, I tried HL2 @ 1280x800 after reading your post and it actualy looked very nice still, But once you get a more powerful card be sure and try 1600x1024 or 1900x1200 for maximum Wow factor ;)

Took a shot with my digicam although it looks a lot nicer in person,

HL2 @ 1280x800:
HL2_1280x800.jpg

HL2 Shot *drools* , It's breathtaking just seeing a picture. MORE MORE MORE, maybe some BF2, or Doom3 if possible. Your one lucky dude. Congrats on that monitor.

fallguy said:
Yes its a very nice CRT, but there are more drawbacks than its weight.

The year of manufacture is most important, especially with a used CRT.

Might not last very long....my used Dell P1130 21" died within 6 months & I bought it 3 yrs old.....

Very nice CRT though but might not last the end user very long.

ZigZagZeppelin said:
The year of manufacture is most important, especially with a used CRT.

Might not last very long....my used Dell P1130 21" died within 6 months & I bought it 3 yrs old.....

Very nice CRT though but might not last the end user very long.

You never know it could die today or in another 5 years, I have a 20" Sony TV manufactured in 1989 thats never been repaired and still works, a 5 year old 19" Sony G400 thats still going strong so I have faith in my FW900 ;)

PKFGimpy said:
I want to see how that thing and a 2405FPW look sitting side by side :p

I do too, but the chances of someone owning both of those are pretty slim. Would be the ultimate technology showdown, though :)

FitzRoy said:
I do too, but the chances of someone owning both of those are pretty slim. Would be the ultimate technology showdown, though :)

If ANYONE has the means, it is your obligation...no...your DUTY to post a picture of these two monitors side by side.

Playing pong.

PKFGimpy said:
I want to see how that thing and a 2405FPW look sitting side by side :p

Not my pic but the person that posted it says he uses the FW900 for gaming & movies and the 2405FPW for everything else. Best of both worlds I suppose :D
FW900_2405FPW.jpg

um...I THOUGHT i said playing pong :p
Thx for the picture. Im surprised that table can hold the fw900

Back