24 Port (or bigger) Switch with POE recommendations please!

MinPins

Limp Gawd
I will be moving into a new house soon with a more extensive network than I presently have. Each room will have a minimum of one home run to the patch panel downstairs and there will be several home runs to the theater, office, master bedroom, etc. My trusty Dell PowerConnect 2716 switch no longer has enough ports and also does not have built-in POE. I would also like to ditch the smaller additional switches (two D-Link DGS-2205’s) I now use in my theater and office.

I am soliciting your recommendations for a home network switch with at least 24 ports, POE, Gb speed on all ports (at the new place all cabling, keystones, connectors and the 24 port patch panel are Cat6) and VLAN (to allow for a separate ‘guest’ networks) as well as any other features you think would be a good idea. FWIW I am not a networking guru but I do have a solid grasp of the basics and have setup my own networks and done all of my own wiring thus far. I will attach a couple of photos below.

I would like to stay below $1000 if possible but I am willing to spend more for a highly recommended switch with an excellent feature set. One switch in particular that seems to have the features I am looking for is the Cisco SGE2000P, available on Amazon for $665 USD.

Thanks in advance for your help and recommendations!

Some of the changes not shown on the network map image below are the added VoIP service, 2 streaming media hubs, an ‘N’ WIFI router (replaced the old WAP54G), another PC, a Netbook, replaced the Foscam IP cameras with Vivotek models and a few other items. My new AV receiver also has an Ethernet port.

P1000349_edit_resize.jpg

P1000344_crop.jpg

home_network_lo-res.jpg

Last edited:
Cisco's New SMB Switches:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833150092

Netgear's Smart Managed Switch:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122323&Tpk=GS724TPS

HP's re-badged 3Com Switch:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833316179

If it were me I'd choose between the Cisco and the HP as I've never been too impressed with the quality of Netgear's SMB products. Both the HP and Netgear have a web interface where as the Cisco is CLI only. Feature wise they are all about the same, though the HP has some L3 features you probably wouldn't touch.

we run HP procurve here at work. It's nice stuff. Commands are different from cisco (duh), but, they are rock solid. Youre gonna pay more though for POE.

Thanks for the rec's so far. Any others?

Is there any differences between the 3Com 3CRBSG28PWR93 and the HP V1910-24G-POE or are they identical? How about in the web GUI for the two units?

Anyone using or know anything about the the D-Link DGS-1224TP?

This is of course, assuming that you are willing to bump up against the top of your price range, but a Cisco 3750 Series is not out of your reach if you are willing to shop around on ebay.

Anything in the WS-C3750-XXPS Series has PoE.

Here are some WS-C3750-48PS-S units that went for around $900 said and done:

BeiV8.png

These would definitely have enough switching capacity to satisfy.

Everything in the 3750 Series does Layer 3 too, so added functionality there should you ever need/want it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/col...s5023/product_data_sheet09186a008016136f.html

Edit: Just realized that you wanted 10/100/1000, which you'd need a WS-C3750G-24PS for, and that's way out of your price range.

Last edited:
How many POE end devices are you talking total? I can't imagine spending that much just to tie in POE. What I do is patch in the POE injectors into my patch panel in the basement and label them accordingly, so if a device needs poe I just patch it into one of those ports. The injectors are all zip tied and run to a small surge protector which is attached to the rack. However, I only plan for about 6 poe devices max.

Of course, maybe you have a lot more money than I do, and just want to spend it on cool shit... in that case - spend away! :)

As of now I have 6 POE devices (4 IP cams, 2 'phones'), probably going as high as 7-8 when I make the move. 7-8 POE injectors plus cabling sounds like a bit of a wiring mess and may be about the same cost as built in. Vivotek (my IP camera brand) injectors are $46/ea online.

You should be able to find standard 802.3af compliant injectors on ebay for quite a bit less, but I was assuming you already had injectors. I got mine for free so I didn't even consider buying a real switch. maybe a smaller 8 port poe switch, along side a nice 24port gig switch (I use a procurve 1800-24 for $150 on ebay)

But again, if you've got the money, I'm all for doin' it right.

I have 2 injectors now, was looking forward to removing them from the system since one failed a while back and I had to replace it. I'm also all for saving money. I just want my network to be very reliable, easy to manage, fast, secure and relatively simple ( which you can tell from the diagram is no longer really a goal).

Does anyone know for certain if the 3COM 3CRBSG28PWR93 is identical to the HP V1910-24G-POE?

Has HP made any changes to it since acquiring 3COM?

Thanks!

My V1910-24 (Non-POE) came in a 3com box with 3com literature.

It is also the loudest piece of equipment short of my Cisco lab, meaning its louder than my servers. Luckily its in a room where I don't work or sleep, but you can still hear it in the background anywhere in my apartment.

You can get a PoE midspan and use whatever switch you want - you clearly don't need 24 poe ports...

OK so I may have been talked into either multiple PoE inserters or a multi-port PoE inserter.
I've read a few reviews on the 3COM-HP device, seems as though it is exceptionally noisy.
I think I am now looking for a 24 port GB web-managed switch with VLAN that is very reliable but doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner. My current Dell 2716 is nearly silent.

There is a thread a few down from yours discussing the HP 1810G. Web managed, vlan, quiet

HP 1810G-24 on it's way

Now, can someone recommend a 6-8 port PoE inserter for my setup?

I am not really enthused about buying and setting up 6-8 individual PoE inserters.

yeah that's awesome, I had no idea there were multiport poe injectors available. I'll have to see what you come up with, that might be better for me if any of my injectors start failing.

Midspans used to be very popular before PoE switches became plentiful. You can probably find some rackmount ones on eBay for cheap. Just make sure it supports 802.3af and not some interim non-standard.

Last edited:
I found a killer deal (~$100) on a new 8 port 10/100/1000 PoE hub with SNMP; a Phihong POE370U-480-8N after a couple hours of searching and a few phone calls. Just got home from buying it.
Sorry, this was the last (only?) one he had. New on the internet is ~$256 USD.
Also got a new Motorola SB6120 to replace my old SB5100.

thats just a big injector I guess? or what?

or do you just give that power and 1 lan, and it is a POE switch?

It's a midspan gigabit injector (LAN in port on the bottom, power and LAN out the top port). Also supports SNMP via the RJ45 port on the right, but full access to the GUI (FW upgrades. etc) is via the USB port.

Back