24 Port Gigabit Switch Recommendations

weuntouchable

[H]ard|Gawd
Can anyone recommend a 24 port (or more) switch for someone who needs to just plug things in, set it up, and forget about it. Its for a CNC shop that is expanding and needs to add wired support throughout the building. The most complex activity that would be needed would be remote desktop software. My budget is $200 (less is even better) and a new or used switch is fine (a link to a product or eBay sale would be greatly appreciated). We just need something that is reliable and that requires very little administration. I'm completely in the dark when it comes to switches, so hopefully someone can help me. Thank you in advance.

I swear if I see one more of these threads this week I'm going off the deep end. Sorry OP, but fricking search the forum. There's been a bazillion threads about this in the past 2 or 3 weeks alone.

Why not just hit ebay for like a Cisco switch? You can pick up a 3500XL for like 50-100 bucks

Hrrm Microcenter was selling dumb rackmountable 100meg switches for like $50 made by trendnet.

I swear if I see one more of these threads this week I'm going off the deep end. Sorry OP, but fricking search the forum. There's been a bazillion threads about this in the past 2 or 3 weeks alone.

I did search the forum and although there are similar posts the ones I found either had no price constraint, didn't want gigabit, or wanted managed switches. So please slowly back away from the edge of the building, sit down and have a nice cup of tea. My thread title was to the point, I don't know why you needed to read my thread and post when you had nothing to offer.

I would recommend the 3com/HP 2824 Baseline 24 Port Gigabit switch, I currently own 2 of them and hey run fine and have great throughput. On the flipside, 2824's have louder fans which prevent it from overheating. (I picked both of mine up on ebay for less than $180)

maybe Kyle can enlarge the thread and STICKIE IT! so people can see it SO EASY AND STOP asking, that and make the ROUTER RECOMMENDATION THREAD huge and BOLD

every week there is 306 posts HEY i need a new router or hey help me buy a switch etc etc.

Posts starting with hey or help me or switch / router should have a special check mark forcing the OP to search first LOL

Dell PowerConnect 5324

24 Port Gigabit

They go for $100-$200 on eBay depending on condition. :)

For $250-$300 you can get a brand new HP ProCurve 1810, 24 Port Gigabit switch.

Dell PowerConnect 5324

24 Port Gigabit

shits-on-fire-yo.jpg

It would be easier if the Recommended Router thread:

• Had its name changed to "Recommended Router and Switch Thread"
  • Have the Sticky page 1 updated every couple of months as new products are released.

I know I posted one like this recently, but at least mine was somewhat more specific :)

Silent, vlans, 10/100, cheap. Wasn't worried about gigabit.

In the end, I got a Procurve 1700 - for £20. Ideal.

Dell PowerConnect 5324

24 Port Gigabit

I run two of the Powerconnect 5324's at home. So far so good, no weird reboots, no slowness.

I got myself a used HP 1810-24 from eBay for 180 euros (EU tends to be more expensive than US).

Dead silent and nice web gui. Does its job very well. No complaints. I have yet to try the fibre ports tho.

I got myself a used HP 1810-24 from eBay for 180 euros (EU tends to be more expensive than US).

Dead silent and nice web gui. Does its job very well. No complaints. I have yet to try the fibre ports tho.

The fiber ports are great and on eBay you can get the GBICs for less than 10 bucks.

Netgear GS724T...... Aggressively:D priced and has "basic" management features if things changed in the future.

Back