24" non glossy 1920x1080 monitor for office work

katabatik

Weaksauce
I need a 24" monitor as second monitor for office use. I hate glossy screens but I also hate hard AG coating. I also don't want TN panels. As for budget, anything around 150 euros would be great. Any advice? Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Perhaps I didn't explain myself well. What I don't like is grainy AG coating, like the one Dell uses (or at least used to use). I have a Samsung monitor that has a very smooth AG coating, not grainy at all, and handles reflections very well. However it is a 27" monitor that cost me 800 euros 4 years ago, so buying another one is not an option.

Without seeing what you mean, it's difficult to advise. If you mean a semi-glossy coating, the Philips 246E7QDSW (246E7QDAB for the black version with integrated speakers) might be what you're looking for...

If you're OK with that kind of coating, this monitor is probably one of the best values around €150 right now. PLS panel (presumably, the 246E7QDAB version uses a different IPS panel, but still has wide gamut and seems to feature a similar semi-gloss panel coating judging by the youtube vids), wide color gamut, reasonably accurate and pleasing default picture preset, reasonable response time and viewing angles, MHL compatible HDMI, VESA, flicker-free, nice design and solidly built. Doesn't have freesync and lacks height/rotation adjustability, but that's hard to come by on a <€200 non-TN while maintaining all the other specs of this monitor.

Seems like a very competent and complete monitor overall without any significant weakness according to consumer and professional reviews. I'm seriously considering this monitor despite an initial preference towards VAs. It just seems like a very solid general purpose display, and fits my needs very well. I'm surprised that it isn't more popular. Just a few days ago, amazon.es had it for less than €120. Amazing deal.

Anyway, if you don't really care for many of these things and just strictly want something that fits your requirement, it might be possible to find a cheaper alternative...

EDIT: Samsung's own C24F390 seems to have a similar type of semi-glossy coating. It is also a great monitor in your price ballpark. It uses a VA panel, so better blacks and worse viewing angles. It also has great sRGB coverage and features freesync if that matters to you.

Last edited:
"lacks height/rotation adjustability"

That is a deal breaker for me. It must be height adjustable, at least. I don't need wide gamut but I do need reasonable horizontal viewing angles angles since I will look at it a bit sideways. I might go as far as 200 euros if that is what it takes to fill the essential requirements: height adjustment, good viewing angles and non glossy.

Another deal breaker: curved screens. I hate them.

P.S. My current monitor is a PLS panel (Samsung SyncMaster S27A850T).

Last edited:
The lightest AG coatings at that size/res are on the 23.8'' AMVA monitors, followed by the 23.8'' PLS displays
But no monitor is as grainy anymore as those old IPS panels with 30-40% Haze values, not even the TN ones

If Dell's coatings are acceptable, their U2412M seems like it should fit the bill, if you can wait for a sale. 24" 1920x1200 IPS, no noticeable grain to me, and a really nice stand. Only catch at the moment is that Amazon's European sites currently want €230-240ish for it.

If height adjustability is a must, you could look for a used/refurbished Dell P2414H (if you don't mind the coating). There's also the new HP VH240a. One of the cheapest non-TN height adjustable monitor I've found. IPS panel from LG according to displayspecifications.com. Around the €150 ballpark in Europe. Only HMI and VGA connections and no flicker-free backlight, though.

A little more expensive, but still within budget, are the Dell P2417H or the Iiyama Prolite XUB2492HSU-B1. Dell's from the U series are also very good, but a little more expensive.

Alternatively, you could get a good and cheap VESA-compatible IPS or PLS monitor with the coating of your liking and then a separate height adjustable stand/desk mount.

EDIT: Just found out about the Samsung S24E350PL. PLS panel, lots of connectivity and just as cheap as the HP. It's part of Samsung's business line of monitors.

Last edited:
Back