24", No choice but a TN screen, but some questions about the monitors

squeaky

Weaksauce
Hi,
I'm looking for a 24" LCD monitor and considering my college poor-ness, I've resigned myself to TN screens. I know they're not the best, but for casual use and for the price, I can't justify getting a more expensive MVA or IPS screen.

Now, I have a few questions.
Firstly, there are two monitors that have pretty good prices, but I can't find very much information on them.
First is the Acer 2416wd and the other is the Acer X243Wbd

How do these compare to the Dell E248WFP or samsung 2433BW or 2443BWX?

The Acers are all around 300$, and so is the Dell if i wait for a promotion while the Samsungs are all ~350-370$

I've gone to stores, but the only 24" I've seen on display has been an Acer P243WAid, which looked pretty decent, but I was wondering how others compare to it.

Also, are there any other suggestions for 24" monitors in this general price range? I've seen other brands like Westinghouse, HannsG, Hannspree, Sceptre for even less expensive and was wondering if these monitors were decent compared to the above ones?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I don't think I would use an Acer for free.

I use a Samsung 24inch 245bw TN panel and it's "ok". The default brightness is like 500 nits so when you change the brightness down to something usable like 150nits, the colors are horribly off making the monitor unusable unless you buy a spyder2pro or other device (which I have).

Basically, unless you own a calibration unit, do NOT purchase any TN monitor higher than 300nits brightness or it will be useless when you lower the brightness down.

I would look at something like a v2400w or something else.

I have the Samsung in my sig, I love it. Yeah, it's a TN but I have zero backlight bleed, colors looks great, TV, movies and games all look great. If that Acer appeals to you go for it, their monitors are ok, I forget who makes them for Acer, but it ain't Acer.

I saw an Acer that was good. No time to provide info but
I put it in a recent post here. It seems it would be my
first choice for TN (22inch).
uh, 24 inch? sorry no answer. but If an acer was
comparable to that 22 incher it would be super also.

Im my college poorness, I was able to aford a benQ V2400W.

If you're poorer than me, you can get the benQ G2400W, which is the same panel minus some extra features (I don't believe it has AMA) and the pretty non-VESA stand.

Cough up a little more if you're going to spend that much. You can get the v2400w for 330 shipped on amazon

wow, do you mind showing me where? I just checked amazon, but couldn't find it. but if you could show me, I'd be on it stat!

I don't think I would use an Acer for free.

Why not? Some Acer LCDs are very good bang for the buck. I've never owned one but I have read a few reviews on them and they are not crap as your comment implies.

I bought the Samsung 226bw because of all the good reviews and user comments and while it is a fast LCD for gaming it is just a TN panel and does suffer from backlight bleed. All fast gaming LCDs are TN panels so if you want a fast gaming LCD then TN it must be.

I just purhcased a Samsung 2433BW which should get delivered to my front door TODAY!

I'll let you know how I like it

does anyone know if the HP w2408h has a TN screen?
I found one for a pretty decent price on ebay

I have a BenQ FP241VW. It is a MVA panel, better color reproduction, better viewing angle. You can get it $449 from BenQ directly. Promo code FP241VW50.

Here's a review of that BenQ MVA panel. Yes, it has better color reproduction than a TN panel but the response time is not so great for gaming. That is the trade off one must decide on. My Samsung 226bw has 2ms response time according to the specs.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/benq_fp241vw/

Response time

16 ms (6ms GTG)/12 ms MRPT

does anyone know if the HP w2408h has a TN screen?
I found one for a pretty decent price on ebay

Yes, TN panel with 5ms response time. It gets decent reviews though so I wouldn't discount it but if you want it for critical photographic work then I would look for a different panel type. My saving grace is that I have both a TN 2ms panel for gaming and a CRT if I need to do critical photographic work.

You might be able to pick up a Soyo DYLM24D6 at your local OfficeMax for ~$300-400, and if it's been sitting on the shelf a bit there's a good chance it will be a P-MVA panel rather than a TN. Look for boxes with 6ms response time (not 4) and the earlier the pack date, the better.

A friend of mine bought a 24" Soyo LCD and got a really good price on it because it was open box and Soyo is not a well known brand for LCD so most people stay away from them. I would rate it a decent LCD.

Well I just setup my Samsung 2433BW and I must say, so far i'm very happy with it. colors are good and backlighting is suprisingly uniform for a TN. Gaming is pretty sweet at 19x12. My only complaint so far is that it does blur a little during gameing where as my 19" NEC GX2 didn't have any noticable bluring. It's not serious, but I can tell it's there.

depending on how much you have to spend you could get a dell 2408WFP refurbished +15% outlet coupon. that would come to $382.50 before shipping (free ship atm i believe) and tax (6% i think). for about $50 more you would get a very improved screen in all regards except input lag.

A student complaining about not being able to afford anything more then a TN monitor, yet wants a 24 inch screen?

What is this world coming to...

You would be more productive as a student with multiple 17"/19" cheap screens. Unless your doing an artsy course, the smaller size would allow for the higher quality panels.

He isn't complaining, he is simply stating a matter of fact. He also never claimed to be getting a 24" screen to be a more productive student. And 17"? That's more of a "wtf" than the OP

Hey guys, I also am looking at getting 2 24" TN Panels, for gaming and tv viewing. I currently have two 19" samsung 941BWs and they're awesome for gaming, cad and everything that I like, but they don't have any HDMI ports. I want a TN panel for the fast response time, and the fact, I dont care about viewing angles. I sit infront of my pc. :p
anyway, I was looking at the dell E248WFP, which I saw at micro center last night, and it looked amazing compared to my 19 inchers. I know this is a thread hijack, but the op (tmk) got his question answered.

Here's a review of that BenQ MVA panel. Yes, it has better color reproduction than a TN panel but the response time is not so great for gaming. That is the trade off one must decide on. My Samsung 226bw has 2ms response time according to the specs.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/benq_fp241vw/

Response time

16 ms (6ms GTG)/12 ms MRPT

Thanks for the suggestion! It does look pretty good, unfortunately cost is my #1 priority. Gaming isn't so big of a deal for me, and as long as color reproduction is decent (no "built in sepia, cannot be turned off") I don't really mind.

Yes, TN panel with 5ms response time. It gets decent reviews though so I wouldn't discount it but if you want it for critical photographic work then I would look for a different panel type. My saving grace is that I have both a TN 2ms panel for gaming and a CRT if I need to do critical photographic work.

Cool, thanks for the info! The glossy screen is really attractive to me.

depending on how much you have to spend you could get a dell 2408WFP refurbished +15% outlet coupon. that would come to $382.50 before shipping (free ship atm i believe) and tax (6% i think). for about $50 more you would get a very improved screen in all regards except input lag.

The deal sounds pretty good, unfortunately I found an HP 24" for about 100$ less than that :)

A student complaining about not being able to afford anything more then a TN monitor, yet wants a 24 inch screen?

What is this world coming to...

You would be more productive as a student with multiple 17"/19" cheap screens. Unless your doing an artsy course, the smaller size would allow for the higher quality panels.

Haha, you have a point. But I'm not exactly broke, I'd just prefer not to pay more than I need to for something like this. I could def afford a 500$ monitor, but while that may be a better monitor, I don't think I'd appreciate it for its value and the money I could be using elsewhere (ie, heating utility cost in the winter).
I'm currently an engineering student running off a VAIO SZ (13.3" screen) and I'd prefer a larger screen for when I use AutoCAD/VIZ, a 13.3" widescreen split four ways plus interface bars on the left doesn't make for too happy a CADing experience. also, I have but one video output.

He isn't complaining, he is simply stating a matter of fact. He also never claimed to be getting a 24" screen to be a more productive student. And 17"? That's more of a "wtf" than the OP

Hahaha, thanks man. 17" did cross my mind... for a split second. I guess it wasn't significantly larger than my current 13.3" screen. Plus price/size isn't so great for that area.

Hey guys, I also am looking at getting 2 24" TN Panels, for gaming and tv viewing. I currently have two 19" samsung 941BWs and they're awesome for gaming, cad and everything that I like, but they don't have any HDMI ports. I want a TN panel for the fast response time, and the fact, I dont care about viewing angles. I sit infront of my pc. :p
anyway, I was looking at the dell E248WFP, which I saw at micro center last night, and it looked amazing compared to my 19 inchers. I know this is a thread hijack, but the op (tmk) got his question answered.

Fine by me! Just so you know, the E248WFP has gone down to 300$ on their website twice in the past two weeks for just a couple of days at a time. some promotion or something. Using the EPP website, you can get it down another 7% before taxes and stuff, and last time there was free shipping too. I've seen a couple of those monitors before and they seem really solid. Nothing fancy, but solid.

Guys, I just want to say thank you to everyone who gave me their input in this thread. I've been looking for a larger monitor for upwards of a month now and your help has helped me make my decision. I recently jumped on a deal to get an HP w2408h for less than $300, and it seems to be doing very well (and shiny :) )
So far I've finished my midterm AutoCAD project (AH64 helicopter, woot!) on it and played a casual game of C&C3 (which I got owned) and it seems to be holding up pretty well.
Viewing angles are decent from left to right and the top, but from 3 feet away putting my head ~2 feet below the monitor shows some negative discoloration. Expected, but still a pity.
The brightness is very good. I haven't gotten time to tweak it much, so I just set it to auto-adjust via the light sensor. Anyone have any suggestions for good brightness/contrast/RGB settings?
the screen is glossy!! :)
the arm is very nice, adjusting very smoothly. I just wish it had a little more vertical adjustment. the rotation to portrait works well, though I don't plan to use it...it works.
The USB hub is as expected... it works.
Oh yeah, speakers. the speakers are pretty decent. They're no Bose 5.1s, but they're nice for keeping sound centralized to where I'm facing and sound much more balanced than the VAIO's built in speakers.
One bonus I found was inclusion of an HDMI connection (with sound!) for the monitor. When I need to use DVI, I just get an adapter. But one of my roomates has a playstation 3 and he recently hooked it up and the image quality and sound are very good and very decently loud and clear (respectively).
Also, it has the options of 1:1 pixel mapping, stretching with ratio maintained, and just plain stretch.

I don't know if i'd recommend this monitor for its retail price (~$400) since it edges into the territory of higher level panels, but as a monitor in its own right I would recommend it.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Back