24" monitor with 18" effective height or lower

Drakul

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble finding information on monitors for my situation. The space that I have for the display area is H18xW38 (not modulable) and I'm looking to upgrade to a 24"

Currently I have the Samsung T220 that has a non-adjustable stand and it fits just right in the height. I'm wondering if there is anything out there that has a low enough height to allow me to upgrade.
I was looking at the Dell U2412M (first search pass) but I can't seem to find any info on the lowest height possible. Other than height I'm open to any brands; I use my pc to browse, game, watch anime.... the usual stuff.

I'd appreciate the help :)

Have you considered 3rd party solutions? A monitor arm or wall mount? Or just a stand?

Last edited:
I would just buy whatever you can find with a VESA mount and buy one of the 3M stands for an extra $40. The height of the base of the 3M stand is approximately 1", so add that onto the height of whatever display you're looking at, including bezel, and there's your answer, since the 3M stand will go low enough that the bezel of your display will touch the base of the stand.

In fact my 27" Shimian QH270, which has a 1" bezel all around the display, sits at a height of 16 1/2" at the top of the bezel using this stand.

Have you considered 3rd party solutions? A monitor arm or wall mount? Or just a stand?

I hadn't really thought of it but now that you are mentioning it it may be the best solution.

I would just buy whatever you can find with a VESA mount and buy one of the 3M stands for an extra $40. The height of the base of the 3M stand is approximately 1", so add that onto the height of whatever display you're looking at, including bezel, and there's your answer, since the 3M stand will go low enough that the bezel of your display will touch the base of the stand.

In fact my 27" Shimian QH270, which has a 1" bezel all around the display, sits at a height of 16 1/2" at the top of the bezel using this stand.

That sounds great! I'm looking into 3M stands and when you mention the basic $40 one are you referring to the MS110MB? That seems to be the base model I'm finding.

Bonus question: I remember several years ago seeing a nice setup and discussion on having on monitor landscape and one portrait and I seem to recall the ideal size was 24" horizontal with 19" vertical (maybe they were Dell). Is that correct?

Looking at the HP z24i that would probably fit. Eizo ev2436 will fit for sure. And most 16:9 with adjustable height stand will probably fit.

Definitely check out the EIZO FlexScan EV2436W-FS like Nirvan recommended. I'd actually just get a wall mount and any monitor you wanted but that's my preference.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking at the HP z24i that would probably fit. Eizo ev2436 will fit for sure. And most 16:9 with adjustable height stand will probably fit.

Leave it to [H] to recommend the $500 monitor out of the gate :D
I was thinking of spending closer to $300 or so for just the monitor. Something like maybe the ASUS PA248Q.

Definitely check out the EIZO FlexScan EV2436W-FS like Nirvan recommended. I'd actually just get a wall mount and any monitor you wanted but that's my preference.

The problem is I can't wall mount and not even sure I could arm mount. My display is basically in a bookshelf 'hole' that's 36Wx18H, that's why it's tricky.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The EV2436W (very overpriced) & U2412 use a grainy matte coating, check out the BenQ BL2411PT, it's currently the best widely available 24" (only available from NCIX in the US currently) monitor:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1776113

The Z24i is also good and uses a lighter semi-glossy coating but it may suffer from matte coating cross-hatching. Refer to the thread linked above for review links. The U2412 uses LED PWM Dimming (Read about the side effects) while the HP & BenQ do not and offer equally as good or better performance in terms of color quality, pixel response times (ghosting) and input lag.

The EV2436W (very overpriced) & U2412 use a grainy matte coating, check out the BenQ BL2411PT, it's currently the best widely available 24" (only available from NCIX in the US currently) monitor:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1776113

The Z24i is also good and uses a lighter semi-glossy coating but it may suffer from matte coating cross-hatching. Refer to the thread linked above for review links. The U2412 uses LED PWM Dimming (Read about the side effects) while the HP & BenQ do not and offer equally as good or better performance in terms of color quality, pixel response times (ghosting) and input lag.

That BenQ looks very interesting. The only thing that worries me is the lowest height of 17.4 which is cutting it close but it has a vesa mount so I could always get a 3rd party mount if it's a problem.

That sounds great! I'm looking into 3M stands and when you mention the basic $40 one are you referring to the MS110MB? That seems to be the base model I'm finding.

Yep that's the one. Great stand, just as good (if not better) than the tilt/swivel/rotate stands that come "professional" displays from Dell, HP, etc, that I have used in the past.

Here are 2 crappy phone pics. It helps illustrate my points a bit and as you can see the Samsung T220 fits just so already and the 'hole' as the equivalent of a 1" lip on the sides and 2" lip at the top.
So potentially even if a screen fits just so if the bezel is very small I could lose some screen view at the top.

ltl7.jpg

pbox.jpg

Also because of this I may never be able do go dual screen but that's down the road anyway.

I got an answer on Newegg that the ASUS PA248Q lowers to 16" so this may be an option for me.

The Benq BL2411PT is officially 17.4" tall at minimum; I measured 18" but I was not very careful with my measurement. The top bezel is 5/8th of an inch tall. Which, come to think of it, could account for the 0.6" that I was off by.

The Benq BL2411PT is officially 17.4" tall at minimum; I measured 18" but I was not very careful with my measurement. The top bezel is 5/8th of an inch tall. Which, come to think of it, could account for the 0.6" that I was off by.

Hmmm that might be cutting it close so I may have to go 3rd party mount if I decide on that one.

The PA248Q uses the same grainy matte coating as the U2412 & also uses LED PWM Dimming and has slightly worse colors than the U2412...

I have a better idea: don't put the monitor under the shelf and sit further (if it's too close) away instead of wasting money on a mediocre monitor simply because it fits.

The PA248Q uses the same grainy matte coating as the U2412 & also uses LED PWM Dimming and has slightly worse colors than the U2412...

I have a better idea: don't put the monitor under the shelf and sit further (if it's too close) away instead of wasting money on a mediocre monitor simply because it fits.

If that were an option I wouldn't be struggling with it now would I?
I know it's not ideal but that's where the PC is going, It's the family office.

Back