24" LCD recommendation, some questions and help.

vhx

Weaksauce
I like many others are interested in a 24 inch monitor. I have visited many of the 24 inch monitor threads, but many are quite old and with 120+ pages each it is hard to find accurate information due to revisions, conflicting information, old information, panel lotteries, etc...

Anyways below is a list of requirements I would like for a 24 inch if anyone could help me out.
Main requirements
- NO TN panels - Due to my desk setup, a good vertical viewing angle is essential.
- Scaling - Would like some type of 1:1 ratio hardware scaling option for most (if not all of the inputs) Do not want overscanning.
- Inputs - As many inputs as possible. :p HDMI/DVI/S-Video and whatever else. (HDCP with DVI/HDMI would be nice)
- No banding - Not sure what this refers to, but from the looks of it, many people are claiming it is very annoying.
- No inverse ghosting - Not sure what this one is either, but any type of ghosting would be a deal breaker.

Optional things I would like
- PiP - Watching other inputs while being able to view my desktop would be nice.
- Height adjustment - Eh something to bring it more towards eyelevel. Not really essential.
- As little backlight bleeding as possible. I know you can never be rid of blacklight bleeding, but don't want something that is notorious for horrible backlight bleeding.

This will be used for gaming, web browsing, some movies here and there, and possibly a PS2 if I get the correct hookups. I just want something to be future proof when/if I decide to dive into HiDef while being able to do what I usually do. If anyone could make a recommendation on monitors based on this that would be great. The two I was looking at would be the BenQ FP241W (And I guess make sure to get the Sept 2007 manufactured models) and the Gateway FPD2485W (I have read that new ones are TN? I am not sure.) Any clarification or other suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

Sorry in advance for another, "Help me buy a new monitor!" Thread. :D

UPDATED
-------------
Just an update, but I got my BenQ FP241W yesterday. Problem is, is it has a dead pixel in the center. It's light colored, so very noticeable on blacks and FPS (very annoying), but almost impossible to see regularly on light colored things. It's really tiny, I could live with it if I didn't game or play videos.

I got an RMA shipped from NCIX, and they sent me out a replacement through Canada Post ;\ (Original went out FedEx). The estimated delivery is.. 01/03/2008. Yeah they dropped the ball considering I got the original in 4 days. If this replacement I get is bad, (2 and a half weeks later) I am going to flip my lid.

I like a lot of the things about this. The blacks seem decent, they get a little lighter horizontally, but I usually sit in front, so not an issue really. The vertical angle is excellent, leaps and bounds better than my old TN. The monitor sits like 8 inches up and I can see things without issues or darkening at the top.

The only downside I have found to this monitor (besides the dead pixel) Is the OSD. The message when you first turn it on, that tells you what connection it's using isn't even centered. The image is like cut off on the left, it looks cheap. ;P Also the responsiveness when opening the menu is a full 1.5-2 seconds as well as changing to the next. Changing inputs takes around 2+ seconds to switch inputs. I thought the buttons on the side would be awesome as they are out of the way, but it's actually a pain trying to calibrate it this way. Good thing you don't have to fiddle too much with it, but it's decent.

Anyone have color profile/NVIDIA color settings/OSD settings? I have no calibration units or anything, so any help there would be great.

EDIT:
So far my OSD settings are: 17 brightness, 57 contrast, 3 sharpness. Standard mode (50/50/50).
Nvidia Desktop Color settings are: 50% brightness, 20% vibrance, 50% contrast, 0% sharpening, 1% gamma.

Seems decent, at least better than my old monitor.

I said no TN panels... but thanks for the contribution. :)

Anyone know how the LG L246WP is compared to the BenQ FP241W?

My research told me that they used the same panel but LG has no blackout issues like the Benq. Plus, I could buy LG at BestBuy but Benq was only available from online places with strict return policies.

My research told me that they used the same panel but LG has no blackout issues like the Benq. Plus, I could buy LG at BestBuy but Benq was only available from online places with strict return policies.

Do you have a link to this blackout issue? I didn't see anything like that. I saw with the LG that you are unable to get a 1920x1080 resolution with the VGA/component port though. Not sure if that was fixed in a new revision or what.

Get BenQ FP241W September 2007 built. FP241W has better A-MVA panel than LG and also got DVI input port.

Do you have a link to this blackout issue? I didn't see anything like that. I saw with the LG that you are unable to get a 1920x1080 resolution with the VGA/component port though. Not sure if that was fixed in a new revision or what.

Check the FP241W thread. Well documented.

Still a great monitor.

Bought the LG back in September and I've loved every single minute with it. It's a great monitor.

I got my LG in late October and I love it too. After coming from an old Dell 19" LCD the LG is far superior. I did look into the Benq but decided to go with the LG.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I decided to go with the BenQ FP241W just because of the inputs and the great views. The new Sept release seems to have fixed most of the problems, should be here by Friday. Of course when I ordered it from NCIX, AFTER I ordered it they had a sale where it was $10 off. Conspiracy against me.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I decided to go with the BenQ FP241W just because of the inputs and the great views. The new Sept release seems to have fixed most of the problems, should be here by Friday. Of course when I ordered it from NCIX, AFTER I ordered it they had a sale where it was $10 off. Conspiracy against me.

If you want to feel bad, tddirect.ca yesterday is having FP241W on daily sale for $499 with free shipping over $500.

If you want to feel bad, tddirect.ca yesterday is having FP241W on daily sale for $499 with free shipping over $500.
I was so annoyed when I checked tddirect.ca today to see that the price had gone up - only to realize that I had put in in my cart at $499 the night before, and as such can check out with that price :D

I don't feel too bad. I'd pay the extra 50 to make sure I get the September 2007 model so I don't get stuck with an old defective one. Plus I don't think they'll return for dead pixels. :)

I don't feel too bad. I'd pay the extra 50 to make sure I get the September 2007 model so I don't get stuck with an old defective one. Plus I don't think they'll return for dead pixels. :)
Well, tddirect = an NCIX company, using the same warehouse. But they don't have a dead pixel guarantee like NCIX.

Yeah, I don't know if tddirect.ca has zero dead pixel policy or not. If they don't, they are loosing a lot of business to NCIX since both are only minutes away from one and another.

I know tddirect is a division of NXSOURCE, and NXSOURCE is a corporate sales division of NCIX if I remember correctly.

Another company called directcanada.com also uses the same warehouse sticker as NCIX.

Just an update, but I got my BenQ FP241W yesterday. Problem is, is it has a dead pixel in the center. It's light colored, so very noticeable on blacks and FPS (very annoying), but almost impossible to see regularly on light colored things.

I got an RMA cross shipped from NCIX, and they sent me out a replacement through Canada Post ;\ (Original went out FedEx). The estimated delivery better be wrong... 01/03/2008 is not acceptable really, especially when I got the original in 4 days.

I like a lot of the things about this. The blacks seem decent, they get a little lighter horizontally, but I usually sit in front, so not an issue really. The vertical angle is excellent, leaps and bounds better than my old TN. The monitor sits like 8 inches up and I can see things without issues or darkening at the top.

The only downside I have found to this monitor (besides the dead pixel) Is the OSD. The message when you first turn it on, that tells you what connection it's using isn't even centered. The image is like cut off on the left, it looks cheap. ;P Also the responsiveness when opening the menu is a full 1.5-2 seconds as well as changing to the next. Changing inputs takes around 2+ seconds to switch inputs. I thought the buttons on the side would be awesome as they are out of the way, but it's actually a pain trying to calibrate it this way. Good thing you don't have to fiddle too much with it, but it's decent.

Anyone have color profile/NVIDIA color settings/OSD settings? I have no calibration units or anything, so any help there would be great.

EDIT:
So far my OSD settings are: 32 brightness, 54 contrast, 4 sharpness. Standard mode.
Nvidia Desktop Color settings are: 47% brightness, 20% vibrance, 50% contrast, 0% sharpening, 0% gamma.

Seems decent, at least better than my old monitor.

Back