24 inch 16:10 VA panel monitor, do they exist?

kaaremai

n00b
I've been trying to find a successor to my NEC 20WGX2 monitor for a while now but it seems to be an impossible task.

I have had the Acer 27 inch 144hz IPS and a Dell U2415H. They are both incredibly bad compared to my NEC.

My dream monitor has the following specs:

24 inch
1920x1200 resolution
Semi-glossy or glossy coating
VA panel or IPS with A-TW polarizer

The closest thing i've found is the Eizo foris gaming screen, which is 1920x1080.

Is that really my only option? I do not like 27 inch monitors as they are way too big for my taste.

they were incredibly bad b/c they didn't have an A-TW polarizer?

they were incredibly bad b/c they didn't have an A-TW polarizer?

Yes, they both have terrible IPS glow and terrible black levels compared to my 8 year old NEC monitor.

It amazes me quite a bit that it seems impossible to find a monitor today, 8 years later that is just as good as my 20wgx2.

As it's impossible to find an IPS panel today with a polarizer i am thinking about getting a VA panel instead.

But there doesn't seem to be any 16:10 available.

Yes, they both have terrible IPS glow and terrible black levels compared to my 8 year old NEC monitor.

It amazes me quite a bit that it seems impossible to find a monitor today, 8 years later that is just as good as my 20wgx2.

As it's impossible to find an IPS panel today with a polarizer i am thinking about getting a VA panel instead.

But there doesn't seem to be any 16:10 available.

20wgx2 was my first ever LCD monitor, moving away from my Sony 21" Triniton. I remember paying $891 cdn for that LCD. It was top the top of the line at the time.
Most Monitors today other than professional grade market, are built cheap, have poor QC and are overpriced. I recently had the chance to play around with a 32" BenQ 4k IPS monitor for about an hour and it's one of the few panels today i'd consider buying if I was in the market for a IPS panel.

Have you thought about getting a FW900? It is a 24" 16:10 CRT capable of 1920x1200@96Hz. It has a glossy anti-glare polarizer, no backlight bleed and over 100,000:1 contrast.

The 20WGX2 was amazing. IPS colors, great motion performance for an LCD, paired with a glossy coating. Not sure if it was actually an ATW polarizer or just a characteristic of the AS-IPS panel, but minuscule amount of deep purple glow was a million times better than the glow found in most/all consumer grade desktop IPS monitors today.
Gave it to my parents eventually, still looks great except the CCFL backlighting has gone slightly yellow.

I've gone through both a 24" VA monitor and X-Star DP2710, and though the semi-glossy coatings turned out to be an adequate replacement for the glossy of the NEC, the limitations of the particular AMVA panel and the slight motion blur, PWM and really annoying glow of the X-Star always made me reminisce about the no compromise Rolls Royce the NEC turned out to have been.

I'm now on a FW900. To find one in decent condition at a low price, you need the luck of the Irish (like I had), and the sheer bulk and weight of it is astounding. But this is really the only option if you want a 16:10, glossy monitor with even better motion performance, colors, contrast, and glow characteristics than the 20WGX2.

In your shoes, I would either set aside a few months of frequently checking local classifieds for the Sony, or play the panel lottery trying to get a problem free FG2421. Reportedly it has a lot less haze in the coating than the high frequency TN monitors. If you are a 16:10 purist you can settle for a custom 1728x1080 resolution for games, and slim black bars in the sides - it's not 1200p, but at least it's 120hz.

20wgx2 was my first ever LCD monitor, moving away from my Sony 21" Triniton. I remember paying $891 cdn for that LCD. It was top the top of the line at the time.
Most Monitors today other than professional grade market, are built cheap, have poor QC and are overpriced. I recently had the chance to play around with a 32" BenQ 4k IPS monitor for about an hour and it's one of the few panels today i'd consider buying if I was in the market for a IPS panel.

My story is pretty much the same. The NEC was also my first LCD going from a Viewsonic 19" CRT.

For Mokkat and rabidz7: Unfortunately i don't have the space for a CRT monitor anymore so that is not an option :(

You may need to remove the matte coat on some panes. NEC and LaCie have 25/26" 1920x1200 units with ATW polorizers.

IPS monitors with ATW polarizers are inexplicably expensive.
but looking for a 1920x1200 monitor in 2015 is even more inexplicable:

- there are 2560x1440 alternatives on the same price range, not to mention 4k solutions, so productivity-wise there is no reason to go with 1920x1200
-all content is produced in 16:9, using 1920x1200 is sub-optimal to say the least

So you can:
-get a (120Hz) 24" 1080p VA
-get a 32" 1440p VA
-get a 40" 4k VA
- sell a kidney and get an IPS monitor with ATW polarizer

I was in a similar boat; the problem with geo1ng list is that I don't see 16:10 24inch monitor. upping the pixel is fine (for myself) but changing the size or ratio is not so fine (for myself).

Last edited:
I should have mentioend that my hope is that samsung or lg starts making 16:10 oled monitors. They might not have perfect colour and other issues but they won't have glow :)

I thought Dell put it in the U2414H, but apparently not.
Considering the explosion in the amount of IPS panels used, because of mobile devices, it is astounding that glow characteristics seems to be getting worse and worse (at last for desktop products).

There is zero reason to consider glow /at all/ in a mobile display, because they tend to be small (7" or less diagonal) so there isn't much glow to begin with, and they tend to be oriented head-on with the user.

Wouldn't an oled monitor address this issue ?

Yes indeed it would. But OLED displays still has problems with the life time of the organic LED's, especially the blue LED.

I wonder what happend to sonys prototype display made with normal LED's?

I think they fixed the blue. My samsung phone is a couple of years old and I haven't noticed a shift (the old phones were really bad). Also LG $3000 tv is gonna piss a lot of folks off if it has bad shift in couple of years.

Yes indeed it would. But OLED displays still has problems with the life time of the organic LED's, especially the blue LED.

I wonder what happend to sonys prototype display made with normal LED's?

thats great about oled, but where can you find an oled display fitting the poster's requirements? 24 inch 1920x1200

You are reading the comment out of context. Currently you can't but as the technology becomes more widely available we can hope. There are 16:9 displays but they are very expensive (video reference monitors). However LG hopes to make a push to increase demand for oled displays which will drive cost down. I suspect they will introduce 16:9 monitors in the next 24 months but can only hope they call include the less popular 16:10. Only time will tell...

16:10 is pretty much dead at this point. With 4K the new thing for content creators and professionals, there's just no demand for it.

it is funny that thread title ask if 16:10 VA monitors exist and no one said "yes, there is a bunch of them used for almost free on ebay/craiglist/whenever"

OP, are you really wanting to go VA route?
are you aware that VA have ridiculously looking gamma shift which is way way worse than IPS glow?

I would suggest considering either used NEC 2490WUXi or used HP LP2480ZX, both matte A-TW IPS. Those HP monitors on ebay with magenta screens which are ridiculously cheap can be calibrated to look ideal without any contrast loss. There are lots of nice offers with good condition panels. I myself bought two recently :D

Or you can buy Eizo, there are new 1920x1200 monitors with semi-gloss A-TW-like coating but they are quite expensive.

I had a GX2 and it's sister 19" Tn GX whatever it was called same year, same line. And the 20GX def had a purple hue to it and it had a good amount of input lag "to me". That's why i got rid of it. Keep in mind my main was an fw900. But the 20GX while a really neat monitor for it's time was not impressing me really. I really though it was a cool looking unit in design though for all it packed. But the 19" though, was a great monitor. Blacks seemed blacker than the 20", no input lag, had the opticlear. only 4:3 and the ppi was bigger but great for CS and Doom, Quake stuff like that.

I gave my bro the opportunity to buy the 20GX and he said nah and took the 19". He still has it today. I still see that thing today and still say it is a great little monitor. Even being a fw900 whore.

20GX is a legend for what it was, but it's performance was average ips, worse than todays standards and while it def had ZERO lightbleed and had a crisp image and text, the contrast ratio and black depth was the same as IPS panels today.

That opticlear though, honestly that spoiled me. I couldn't move to lcd without gloss or semi gloss screen at least. Always wanted NEC should revisit that coating. It definitely gave it some pop.

Last edited:
Have you thought about getting a FW900? It is a 24" 16:10 CRT capable of 1920x1200@96Hz. It has a glossy anti-glare polarizer, no backlight bleed and over 100,000:1 contrast.

Might want to drop a digit from that contrast ratio. 10,500:1 is about where a calibrated set sits.

16:10 is pretty much dead at this point. With 4K the new thing for content creators and professionals, there's just no demand for it.

Huh?

http://www.necdisplay.com/category/desktop-monitors

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/cat...898~0~63414&s=dhs&~ck=anav&navla=7898~0~63414

http://www.ncix.com/detail/benq-bl2411pt-24in-led-widescreen-b9-92025.htm

http://www.eizo.com/products/flexscan/

These monitors fit most of the OPs criteria. No polarizers (A-TW polorizer has not been used for several years. The company that made them went out of business). I think the older BenQ BL2410PT was both VA and semi gloss. There are almost no other 24" 1200p VA panels that I know of. However, there are still plenty of 24" 16:10 IPS monitors out there.

Last edited:
Back