24 Hour Store Has No Staff, Requires Only A Phone

HardOCP News

[H] News
I could see stores like these everywhere in the not-so-distant future. It seems like a neat idea for the most part.

Customers simply use their cellphones to unlock the door with a swipe of the finger and scan their purchases. All they need to do is to register for the service and download an app. They get charged for their purchases in a monthly invoice. The shop has basics like milk, bread, sugar, canned food, diapers and other products that you expect to find in a small convenience store.

The company I work for has something like this setup. Badge to get in, self-checkout registers, lots of cameras. It's staffed during the day, and self-serve at night. It's awesome since us second-shift workers usually get screwed on late-night options.

I'm sure these things will continue to improve. But I even think of today a standard grocery store with 6-8 self-checkout stands. 1/3-1/2 are always out of order, and a staff member is providing regular assistance when either:

A) User error/has no idea how to use thing thing and;
B) Machine error, tells me to put the item into the bagging area non-stop after I already have, or trying to pick it up and put it down again, or trying with another item, but still stuck in the damn loop :p

Only going to work in places like Sweden. Anywhere else and it's asking to be cleaned out.

Just hire a dude like this and an ED-209 to man the door and you'll be good.

bad-robot.jpg

snicker might help if people realized the plenty for stealing there... they beat you to death and no one cares if you get caught since they don't want anyone to steal from them.

Just put up a bunch of vending machines like Japan. They even have refrigerated ones for fresh produce and perishables.

Ya, I have no idea why we haven't embraced vending machines. Probably cause ppl keep pushing them over or vandalizing them.

Definitely would only work in a trusting location. Theft would be a huge issue in most places in America. Also, liability - what if something happens to a person while in the store - are they using a security system w/ panic necklaces or something?

Only going to work in places like Sweden. Anywhere else and it's asking to be cleaned out.

Sweden? Their society is falling apart. They have to borrow money to provide education and basic health care for its citizens. Due to decades of mass immigration, their previously safe country is not safe any more.

Not only do they have a very high number of shootings and gang-related violence . . . but Sweden now has the second highest number of rape reports in the entire world!

Just hire a dude like this and an ED-209 to man the door and you'll be good.

bad-robot.jpg

ED-209's are really the key to solving many urban problems. However, there may be a few "glitches" from time to time.

Sweden? Their society is falling apart. They have to borrow money to provide education and basic health care for its citizens. Due to decades of mass immigration, their previously safe country is not safe any more.

Not only do they have a very high number of shootings and gang-related violence . . . but Sweden now has the second highest number of rape reports in the entire world!
Well, he can always open up shop in Iceland if things get too dark in Sweden.

Sweden is in the bottom 3rd of OECD countries in debt to GDP (62%), with deficit spending of only 1% of GDP and a surplus projected by 2019.

Perhaps the assault rate is higher than it is here (5.14% vs 1.5%), but the homicide rate is vastly less (0.7/100k vs 5.2/100k). That assault rate hasn't changed in 10 years; further, the way they report and document assault there may explain part of the discrepancy as well (better/higher reporting numbers than others).

Sweden is in the bottom 3rd of OECD countries in debt to GDP (62%), with deficit spending of only 1% of GDP and a surplus projected by 2019.

Perhaps the assault rate is higher than it is here (5.14% vs 1.5%), but the homicide rate is vastly less (0.7/100k vs 5.2/100k). That assault rate hasn't changed in 10 years; further, the way they report and document assault there may explain part of the discrepancy as well (better/higher reporting numbers than others).

You are very ignorant of the situation in Sweden, and I assume Europe as a whole. I am hoping you are just massively uninformed and not a deliberate leftest SJW.

1 in 4 Swedish Women Will Be Raped as Sexual Assaults Increase 500%

It’s not only Germany that covers up mass sex attacks by migrant men... Sweden’s record is shameful

This cover-up of sex assaults in Sweden is a gift for xenophobes | Andrew Brown

Police: Yes, there ARE No-Go Zones in Sweden

Swedish Police Covered Up Sex Attacks by Migrants: Report

Sweden 'Facing Collapse' Thanks to the Migrant Influx, Foreign Minister Warns

Back