24 glossy non TN!

Actually is there any good glossy TN which would also have minimal input lag and have HDMI + good 720p scalling for PS3 (which also means it must be hdcp capable) ?

Actually is there any good glossy TN which would also have minimal input lag and have HDMI + good 720p scalling for PS3 (which also means it must be hdcp capable) ?

YES, my current monitor, the Gateyway FHD2400, is absolutely awesome for this. Glossy TN with HDMI... havent tested my PS3, but Xbox 360 works great at all res. I prefered this monitor to the HP LP2475w IPS panel! The only big advantage of the HP was the viewing angle and lack of off center color shift.

In my case though, I want my exact monitor, but with an MVA or IPS panel. No one makes anything like that. :(

How do you use one in a lighted room? Careful arrangement of your desk and lights? They do look nice to me, I just don't get how they're practical.

I see reflections in it, sure, on dark backgrounds, but they're actually NOWHERE NEAR as annoying as the "dust all over the screen" effect of matte finishes. Matte finishes can still reflect light in an annoying way, they just dim and diffuse it. Glossy is more mirror like. My 52" LCD TV also has a glossy finish for a reason, and I don't mind it at all.

YES, my current monitor, the Gateyway FHD2400, is absolutely awesome for this. Glossy TN with HDMI... havent tested my PS3, but Xbox 360 works great at all res. I prefered this monitor to the HP LP2475w IPS panel! The only big advantage of the HP was the viewing angle and lack of off center color shift.

In my case though, I want my exact monitor, but with an MVA or IPS panel. No one makes anything like that. :(

Hmm Gateway is unfortunatly out of question. They don't have official distributor here and you can only buy refurbs from west imported by one company.

Hmm Gateway is unfortunatly out of question. They don't have official distributor here and you can only buy refurbs from west imported by one company.

Looks like its time for you to make a friend in another country..

Or move :)

PCs make us to crazy things!

You are missing that fact that the non-glossy displays produce a "fine rainbow dust" effect all over the screen, and tend to wash out the picture compared to a glossy screen. Once you get used to a glossy screen, there is no going back.

Strictly YOUR opinion mate, and you should make that clear. I had an NEC 1765 that was glossy, beautiful picture but glare was killing me. Went to a Viewsonic 20.1 inch wide VX2025 with M-PVA/matte screeen and couldn't have been more happy and that was 3 years ago. And I have never for the life of me and trust me I have looked, seen this "rainbow dust" look. Some like glossy, some like matte. To each his own.;)

I'd also like opinions on a good 23-24" glossy TN display. I just got the HP 2159m and while the display looks beautiful, the size is a couple inches smaller than I'd like and there is a good amount of backlight bleed on the top and bottom of the screen (about 1.5" high).

Also, it's been a while since I was in the monitor market so the switch to 1080 vs 1200 is pretty new to me. Are most modern PC games supporting the 1920x1080 resolution?

I don't know about the current models but gateway had some glossy ones that weren't tn.. . . They looked pretty good i thought too.

I'd also like opinions on a good 23-24" glossy TN display. I just got the HP 2159m and while the display looks beautiful, the size is a couple inches smaller than I'd like and there is a good amount of backlight bleed on the top and bottom of the screen (about 1.5" high).

Also, it's been a while since I was in the monitor market so the switch to 1080 vs 1200 is pretty new to me. Are most modern PC games supporting the 1920x1080 resolution?

Yeah anything that is multiplatform with consoles should have 1920x1080 support.

This is not a helpful post, but I'm forever curious why people want glossy displays - we used to pay good money back in the day for anti-glare coatings. These days it's tough to go laptop shopping and come home with anything but. What am I missing?

This comes up a lot, and some people will argue that it's a matter of opinion. While it's true that you need to weigh the pros and cons for yourself and make your own choices, it's also true that there are real advantages and disadvantages to each.

The advantage of the matte screen is obvious. No annoying reflections when there's a brightly lit room, or a light source behind you.

The advantage of the glossy screen is a little harder to explain, but it is real, and it makes perfect sense if you understand how these screens work.

Basically the way a "matte" screen works is that it has a coating on it that diffuses light that bounces off of it - That is it still reflects, but because it's a rough surface (un-mirror-like) on a microscopic level, it reflects it in multiple directions, rather than straight out. That's why if you shine a light on it, it shows up, you can see glare, but it's a soft, "fuzzy" reflection. This effect has the happy advantage of making lower, or less direct light sources practically invisable.

The problem comes from the fact that the light from the LCD has to pass through this coating. When it does that it gets scattered, just like the light that bounces off of it. Since the "glossy" coatings don't scatter light, they don't have this problem.

To illustrate better, this is "matte":
matte_anti-glare.png

and this is "glossy":
glossy_anti-reflective.png

If you'd like ot read more detail about this, the source is here.

I don't know about the current models but gateway had some glossy ones that weren't tn.. . . They looked pretty good i thought too.

Looking at Gateway's web site, all their LCDs are under $260 which screams TN, except one 24" for $400. That one has viewing angles of 160 degrees, with is also clearly TN.

Can you link to something more specific? Perhaps Gateway no longer sells certain models, or only sells them in certain countries?

I am bumping this thread up again, since I was going to post on the same issue. 2 years onwards I am wondering what the options are.

I may be wrong, but the only 24"+ glossy non-TN display I know of is the Apple LED displays. I've been wanting to go that route for a while but the mini-displayport gets annoying trying to work with a PC.

don't you mind the glares from the glass surface? I find them very hard to tolerate, all the more so when the glass is not fused to the lcd panel.

That all depends on the room. It's the trade-of for extra clarity. My room is setup in a way where I see no glare (no bright sources of light behind me). I've been in rooms where even matte displays have bad glare (even though it's diffused).

Glare aside, I've always liked the crispness and clarity of a glossy/glass screen.

I love the crispness too, but I have yet to see a setup where I, subjectively, did not experience horrible glare from the imacs or the apple led display. I tried using one at a friends recently which had no light sources behind and was placed vertical to window and I could still see loads of them.

I think the Apple LED displays are extra problematic to glare because the glass cover isn't bonded to the panel. I guess that allows your eye to focus on the glare more easily. Either way those displays are overpriced. I'm using a few glossy HP 27" right now and although they are TN, they work for me.

Back