24"|30"|24" vs 24"|24"|24" vs 24"|27"|24"

Hi folks,

I would like some input/thoughts on monitor configurations.

My workload consists mostly of writing code, configuring SharePoint sites, email, documentation, etc. -- general development work.

I'm weighing whether to purchase:
  1. 1x30" + 2x 24" monitors - my laptop will only support one display @ 2560x1600 via DisplayPort but I can add 2x24" @ 1920x1200 via HDMI and VGA
    +Higher overall resolution; 2560x1600 is great for Visual Studio
    -More expensive (by a lot)
    -30" monitor requires a heavy duty monitor arm ($$$)
    -Lack of symmetry (yes, it bothers me) as I already have one 24" Dell (no longer in production) and will have to pair it with a newer model 24"
    -No Eyefinity due too resolution asymmetry
  2. 3x24" @ 1920x1200
    +Symmetrical as I can purchase two new 24" monitors
    +Less expensive overall for the monitors
    +Monitor arms are less expensive
    -Sacrifice a lot of real estate for symmetry
  3. 1x27" @ 2560x1440 + 2x24" @ 1980x1200
    +Same issues as (1), but the U2711 is currently on sale and it's under 20lbs, so I can use a cheaper arm (Ergotron LX as opposed to Humanscale M8).
    -Sacrifice 160 precious vertical pixels but save about $500
Additional considerations: I currently already have a 24" monitor. No right or wrong answers, just your experiences and thoughts on multi-monitor setups. Any regrets with asymmetrical configurations?

Last edited:
What laptop do you use that supports triple output? Dell Precision M6xxx?

The single most important step is to choose a monitor which is suitable for text work without eye strain.
The only firm recommendation is Samsung SA850 24". You can see its cons in the review, but this is currently the best monitor for text work.
30"+2x24" won't work because 30" IPS is a great screen for general use and entertainment but not the best option for eyes if a user is focused primarily on text work.
27" IPS like Dell is unacceptable.

What laptop do you use that supports triple output? Dell Precision M6xxx?

I use an HP Envy 17 (work laptop)

The single most important step is to choose a monitor which is suitable for text work without eye strain.
The only firm recommendation is Samsung SA850 24". You can see its cons in the review, but this is currently the best monitor for text work.
30"+2x24" won't work because 30" IPS is a great screen for general use and entertainment but not the best option for eyes if a user is focused primarily on text work.
27" IPS like Dell is unacceptable.

Wait, what's wrong with the 27" Dell? I currently have a 24" Dell IPS and it's been good to me so far. Just curious what the specific cons are as most reviews of the Dell UltraSharp monitors have been pretty good. Is it just a matter of dot pitch?

I use an HP Envy 17 (work laptop)

Wait, what's wrong with the 27" Dell? I currently have a 24" Dell IPS and it's been good to me so far. Just curious what the specific cons are as most reviews of the Dell UltraSharp monitors have been pretty good. Is it just a matter of dot pitch?

It is pretty universally know that if you work with text a lot matte screens are not the best. The Samsung is semi-glossy which will provide a better text experience. Something glossy like the Apple Cinema Display will provide even better text results. Obviously lighting may be an issue with glossy and semi-glossy screens because of possible reflections and glare. The UltraSharps are fine, they are some of the best matte screens you can get but the anti-glare matte screen is not ideal for all working environments.

Hi folks,

My workload consists mostly of writing code, configuring SharePoint sites, email, documentation, etc. -- general development work.

I'm weighing whether to purchase:
  1. 1x30" + 2x 24" monitors - my laptop will only support one display @ 2560x1600 via DisplayPort but I can add 2x24" @ 1920x1200 via HDMI and VGA
    +Higher overall resolution; 2560x1600 is great for Visual Studio
    -More expensive (by a lot)
    -30" monitor requires a heavy duty monitor arm ($$$)
    -Lack of symmetry (yes, it bothers me) as I already have one 24" Dell (no longer in production) and will have to pair it with a newer model 24"
    -No Eyefinity due too resolution asymmetry
  2. 3x24" @ 1920x1200
    +Symmetrical as I can purchase two new 24" monitors
    +Less expensive overall for the monitors
    +Monitor arms are less expensive
    -Sacrifice a lot of real estate for symmetry
  3. 1x27" @ 2560x1440 + 2x24" @ 1980x1200
    +Same issues as (1), but the U2711 is currently on sale and it's under 20lbs, so I can use a cheaper arm (Ergotron LX as opposed to Humanscale M8).
    -Sacrifice 160 precious vertical pixels but save about $500
Additional considerations: I currently already have a 24" monitor. No right or wrong answers, just your experiences and thoughts on multi-monitor setups. Any regrets with asymmetrical configurations?

What is your current 24" display? So far how has it been for the work you do, outside of the real-estate you are seeking?

What is your current 24" display? So far how has it been for the work you do, outside of the real-estate you are seeking?

Currently display is a Dell 2407WFP (several years old). Actually, it's S-PVA.

Aside from real-estate, it is suitable for my activities (mostly development/programming, lots of text). If I get two more 24" monitors, I was going to get either Dell U2412M or U2410 (how I landed here as I was researching these monitors and found some excellent threads ;))

Hi folks,

Asymmetrical configurations work alright *IF* there is an overall balance. I've tested quite a number and I hate how the unbalanced monitor becomes a mousetrap (can't move the mouse off the screen because it hits a border). It's also useful to make sure the dot pitch is similar between all monitors. I run an asymmetrical configuration that looks like this:

5941109279_4280ebcd75_z.jpg

PLP 20-30-20 on the lower row, 20" widescreens on the upper row. The dot pitch is almost the same for all the monitors, which minimizes distortion.

24-30-24, PLP. If you're doing a lot of text work, you'll love the portrait orientation. It's glorious how much code you can fit on a 1200x1920 display.

27" IPS has super fine dot pitch (-)
matte finish with crystalline effect (-)
wide color gamut (-)
resolution won't fit other monitors in your composition (-)

If I get two more 24" monitors, I was going to get either Dell U2412M or U2410 (how I landed here as I was researching these monitors and found some excellent threads )

2410 is worthless.
2412 is a budget all-rounder (almost) but again it's not the best choice for text work.

Don't let these guys talk you out of the 27" monitors -- they are great. I've got a 27" 2560x1440 and use it for development. Until two weeks ago, I had it flanked with two 1920x1080 monitors. I moved recently, and only have space for the one monitor while I work on the new apartment. It's sad.

If I were you, I'd probably just get the HP zr2740w, and try a dual monitor configuration -- the 27" in landscape, the Dell 24" in portrait. Your work product on the portrait monitor, your assets/references on the 27" -- it fits two pages with no problems. If you find you need a third monitor, pick up another 24" down the line. It will cost you ~$700.

Back