24" 16:10 IPS with speakers

MichaelJB

Limp Gawd
Title says it all really, i'm looking for a modern 24" 16:10 IPS with built-in speakers.

Used primarily for office work (coding and web dev) and reading, with some slight movie watching and gaming on the side. But i care more about being able to read without eye strain than i do about response times and such. However the speakers are essential.

So what are my options? budget ~£350

What about the Eizo EV2436WFS-BK.

It's slightly above my initial budget at £410 but lack of PWM has piqued my interests as i generally don't have my monitors brightly lit.

Does anyone have this monitor?
I've read a few threads but would like to know if it does sound over DisplayPort to the built in speakers. Also just general opinions would be appreciated.

Keep some other suggestions flowing, is there anything upcoming i should be aware of?

Just be aware that the Eizo has a heavy AG coating, similar to the Dell 2412. It bothers some people more than others. It may not be ideal for you if you care about eye strain while reading.

The NEC EA244WMi-BK is another option. It probably has the same exact panel, but a lighter coating ... minus the 10 bit LUT + PWM free aspects.

There is also a newer NEC pro model, P242W-BK, but it'll be pricier, and no speakers. Not sure how it is yet, as it's too new.

The P242W-BK is definitely out of my budget.

I came across the EA244WMi-BK first after reading other threads, its picked up some not so favourable reviews here that suggests dull colours and blurry text :(

Think I need some more research on the aggressive AG, as I don't want to drop that sorta coin for something that is unsuitable.

Last edited:
There is also the Samsung 24" 850, but it has been known to have bleed issues. I am not sure if it has speakers or not (expect not).

Why are speakers important, seeing as a $20 pair of external speakers will be better than the built-in ones?

If the Eizo didn't have a heavy AG coating, I'd suggest it'd be the best. But heavy coating is a dealbreaker for some (including myself).

BenQ recently announced a 24" 16:10 IPS monitor too (BL2411PT), and it's PWM free. But I am not sure of its availability or if it has speakers. BenQ would probably be considered a lower end manufacturer too. But it's something to consider, if you can find it.

Last edited:
Need the speakers for audio conferencing and just general video consumption (Youtube) so no need for good sound quality. I need the audio over HDMI or DisplayPort because my sound on computer isn't working. I could buy a new sound card or a DAC and a pair of speakers but its extra money, but more importantly external speakers would take up more space on my ever shrinking desk (i hate clutter). I already have a USB headset for gaming and listening to music etc...

That Benq does indeed have speakers, and is priced at £260 here in UK, but like you said its only just been released so there's not much feedback yet on it. I'll keep my eye on that one for upcoming reviews.

Thx for your help so far. Out of curiosity what monitor are you rocking?

Thx for your help so far. Out of curiosity what monitor are you rocking?
I have a NEC 2490. It has great angles and no IPS glow, due to the A-TW polarizer, but contrast is very so-so. It's also not exactly young anymore, with about 10K hours on it. For my secondary I am using a baby-sized NEC 1990 (VA).

I am keeping an eye out on finding a 21.3" VA (NEC or Eizo), to use as as a secondary, if I can find one cheap (which seems to be impossible) -- as I have a soft spot for 4:3 displays. And to me, the Eizo 2133 looks really interesting, with a listed 1500:1 contrast on an IPS display, but it's way too expensive for me. That's my monitor wish-list... if I was rich, I'd buy them all.

Aggressive AG should be good for text & reading. Consider that Kindle and similar devices, completely devoted to reading, have quite heavy AG coating.

I own a dell U2311H, aggressive AG, no problems while reading. On the contrary, with my girlfriend glossy imac, is nearly impossible to read for long times... :rolleyes:

If you can afford it, I suggest to go with Eizo EV2436.

The kindle is good for reading due to the fact it's not a traditional LCD, but uses an e-ink display. The Kindle White uses a light source similar to an external light, not light shining into your eyeballs. Anyway, the reason they are good for reading has nothing to do with the coating, but instead has to do with the type of display.

Grainy coating only helps reading if you happen to be using a monitor with a ton of light shining onto the monitor (super bright cubicles, near a window), in which case it may be the lesser of two evils. Super glossy (like an earlier imac) isn't good either, as glare can be bothersome simply from the internal light of the monitor. I never understand the viewpoint of super heavy matte vs super glossy, like there is no in-between. It's not glossy vs matte, but the extremes that cause an issue for some people.

If your lighting is controlled, a lighter coating will always provide a clearer image/text. There are examples of what heavy AG coating does to pixels, in different threads on this site. Perhaps the OP will be fine with a heavier coating, but he should at least be aware it's an issue for many people.

Last edited:
The P242W-BK is definitely out of my budget.

I came across the EA244WMi-BK first after reading other threads, its picked up some not so favourable reviews here that suggests dull colours and blurry text :(

Think I need some more research on the aggressive AG, as I don't want to drop that sorta coin for something that is unsuitable.

The NEC is fine.

The NEC is fine.

I can get it for about £290 shipped here in the UK. Its just the PWM that's niggling me, would love to see it in person to see if its going to be a bother for me.

In the mean time i'm still gonna wait for some reviews on the benq to pop up.

Do you have the NEC? if so could you confirm if sound works over the HDMI and DisplayPort connections and not just through 3.5mm jack.

I can get it for about £290 shipped here in the UK. Its just the PWM that's niggling me, would love to see it in person to see if its going to be a bother for me.

In the mean time i'm still gonna wait for some reviews on the benq to pop up.

Do you have the NEC? if so could you confirm if sound works over the HDMI and DisplayPort connections and not just through 3.5mm jack.

I do have it, and I do use its speakers over HDMI when I don't feel like wearing headphones.

The PWM frequency is quite high, so you'd have to be pretty sensitive to it to notice it.

Back