24" 1080p budget choice for my kid?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by GilmourD, Feb 11, 2018.

1. GilmourD

GilmourD [H]ardForum Junkie

I don't wanna bust the bank but I don't wanna get the poor kid a turd with shitty viewing angles, either.

I don't wanna get him the $100 special if you can't look at it from more than 10 degrees off straight on. That said, the kid doesn't need 144Hz G-Sync to play Minecraft or watch YouTube videos.

1080p at 60Hz with decent viewing angles is really the idea here.

Let's set a goal for under $150 brand new with warranty. I might be dreaming on that but let's see.

2. :-)

:-) n00b

Almost every IPS/PLS monitor with the flicker free technology.

3. GilmourD

4. DanNeely

DanNeely 2[H]4U

Looks reasonable at first glance. 27" is on the large size for 1080p, at only 80DPI pixels will be a bit larger and more noticeable than normal; but that's the price you pay for size while keeping the resolution (and thus needed GPU) low. It's not going to look as nice as 1440p obviously; but there's nothing *wrong* with it.

Dunno if 75hz operation's available without an AMD GPU for freesync or not. It's a nice bonus if you can take advantage of it, and doesn't hurt anything if you can't.

5. GilmourD

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it being too crazy. My other plan was to get a 32" 1080p TV and mount it to the wall behind my son's desk but my wife pointed out that it would probably cause him to crane his neck a lot to look at it and it would be complete overkill. This is definitely a better option. He's not even 8, yet.

6. GilmourD

OK, so I got that Dell. It's pretty good. The kid's happy with it. I'd give three thumbs up but my third arm doesn't actually have a hand.