23" vs. Dual Monitors

ben johnson

Limp Gawd
Lately I've been torn between getting a 23" monitor or just buying another 19" monitor nad having dual monitors. I was talking to one of my friends that has dual monitors and he said there are a few problems associated with it, but other than that its really nice. I was just wondering what everyone else thought about this and what the pros and cons for each decision would be.

If you had the option, would you get a 23" screen or dual 19" monitors?

Thanks for your help.

sorry mate....dual all the way.

unless someway some how i could get a single 30" apple LCD that is the only way i would give up my 2001s setup.

I can play games on one ,play xbox..watch movie...chat .browse. it def increases my productivity
photoshop loves me ! lol

dual.jpg

side_view.jpg
:D

Having a single display, no matter how big (well, a 35" display might make me doubt for a moment) is like having only one eye.

That's how it feels to me, anyway :D

Naw, i'll much rather have a single 23" than dual 19"... that's what i came from, dual 19"... and at one time i thought it was the best thing ever. But playing games at 1920x1200 and watching movies on widescreen is just too sweet. The only thing that dual screens have is obviously much better resolutions, but even at 23", you can load up two browsers side by side, and drag/drop links to one another for browsing just as easily as you can with dual monitors. The only good thing dual monitors were for were for browsing (at least for me). Widescreen is great for everything.

why not get an LCD projection system ?

a few years back i had a hitachi 800x600 lcd mounted on the ceiling and used it for dreamcast , pc games and dvds - 7ft wide screen , excellent clarity

just use the smaller screen for browsing net and doodling about with

BlckRaven said:
sorry mate....dual all the way.

unless someway some how i could get a single 30" apple LCD that is the only way i would give up my 2001s setup.

I can play games on one ,play xbox..watch movie...chat .browse. it def increases my productivity
photoshop loves me ! lol :D
How do you hook your xbox up to em??

wickfut said:
why not get an LCD projection system ?

a few years back i had a hitachi 800x600 lcd mounted on the ceiling and used it for dreamcast , pc games and dvds - 7ft wide screen , excellent clarity

just use the smaller screen for browsing net and doodling about with
AHH 800x600!
no projector for me, until they hit 1600x1200 at least. 800x600 at 100" is ugly.

get the 23", and then go dual 23! that's what I'm doing... eventually...

Elledan said:
Having a single display, no matter how big (well, a 35" display might make me doubt for a moment) is like having only one eye.

That's how it feels to me, anyway :D

No, having dual monitors is like having only one eye - because for games, movies, television and everything other than tossing winamp to the 2nd screen you are only going to be using your primary display.

I did the dual monitor thing for quite a while and I have to admit I liked it. What I found I liked much better was having a second computer hooked to the second monitor. I use a KVM and keyboard hot key to switch between tasks.

Best way to multi task? Dual monitors and computers ;)

PowerLlama said:
How do you hook your xbox up to em??
I use a HDTV device to hook my XBOX up to my monitor. It is called an XBConnect (I think). lik-sang.com has a ton of them but the higher the quality the better the clarity. Also - they allow you to play games in HDTV. I have a CRT that I hook it up to so the only negative is that it does not support 480i only games. 480P and 720P games look amazing.

ben johnson said:
Lately I've been torn between getting a 23" monitor or just buying another 19" monitor nad having dual monitors.
lol, one of my College teachers was named Ben Johnson. Great guy. Anyways, I would go with dual 19'".

I have dual 18.1 inch LCD's. And I love them, but lately I have been eyeing the HP 23". Gaming and watching movies is just beautiful. Originally I go the dual to be productive and I am, love it for graphic work/desktop publishing. But I realized taht the 23 can do the same thing a dually can do.......We will see what the gf says....

23" + dual 20" ers is > 23" OR dual 20"

You also have to consider the "WOW" factor. Is a single huge screen more impressive than 2 smaller (but still big!) screens?

Had a guy come over from next door today and he saw my 2000FP...couldn't fucking shutup about how sweet it looked :D

dabomb said:
No, having dual monitors is like having only one eye - because for games, movies, television and everything other than tossing winamp to the 2nd screen you are only going to be using your primary display.
I've got the dual display setup with my workstation. I don't play games, watch movies or any such things on it. Those things are left to my HTPC :)

Hey BlckRaven - what app are you running for the icons on the left monitor? looks sweet!

and for the topic: i vote one single big fat monitor. tried dual 19" CRTs for some time in maya and stuff and couldn't get used to moving my head all the time. that being said i found myself looking into one display all the time and got me a 2070SB (the best thing after the invention of sliced bread, right, titan? ;) ). well, all i can say is: i love it!

anyways: always remember it is the decision between great and grand, in case you find it hard to decide :)

NP. I like y's dock. But it is no longer being developed. But it does not use that much resources, in fact it uses next to nothing. But Stardock's Objectdock is fairly new and it use's a little more system resources, but it has more funtions. You can just google it.

It depends on the res...

If the two 19" can do 1600x1200@85Hz (or is a LCD) then I would go dual, if not, I'd get 1 big one.

I had dual 21 inch Sony GDM F500Rs, and to be honest even though it was great that I could have 16 AIM windows open on one screen while browsing full screen web pages on the other I found myself having to twist my neck too much to get the full use out of both monitors. I found that instead of really using 2 monitors, I was using 1 at a time and constantly doing mental context switching (as well as straining my neck). It was also unnerving moving the mouse to the top right corner to close a window and finding the cursor having gone into the 2nd monitor instead (though conceivably you could just do your full screen applications on the right monitor). The other thing is I was hoping to play FFXI and have AIM go on at the same time with dual monitors but turns out if you move the mouse from one monitor to the other and try to shift focus FFXI quits out on you. I'm much happier with my 23 inch Apple LCD now, and yes games do look awesome in 16:10 =)

Gaming = single 23
Productivity = dual 19s

If you program/photoshop/etc, dual monitors are flat out amazing. I can't program without dual monitors I got so used to it. It's VERY nice. If your primary concern is gaming however, then yes you want a single larger screen.

Fryguy8 said:
Gaming = single 23
Productivity = dual 19s

If you program/photoshop/etc, dual monitors are flat out amazing. I can't program without dual monitors I got so used to it. It's VERY nice. If your primary concern is gaming however, then yes you want a single larger screen.

That is what I thought too. At work I have dual 18.1 fp1901 and at home I have dual 17" and they are nice. But when I was playing around with the 23", I could multitask between programs all on the same screen. I will post in a few days when I get my 23" HP....

I couldn't live without my dual 19's at home, and my tri 19's at work. :)

dual 19s for unix stuff at work

Single 23 for photoshop at home. I like the biggest screen possible for doing post on digital photography. The closer I can get to displaying a raw at 100%, the better.

sony vpl-hs20 projector at 1368x768 (12 foot wide projected image, muahaha)for gaming, surfing, dvds and ummm, pr0n. :eek:

Back