23" or 24" Monitor Recommendation for Gaming

M

mls1995

I haven't bought a monitor in 5 years so I don't know squat anymore. What monitor(s) do you guys recommend for gaming? I'm looking for a monitor between 23 and 24 inches and my budget is a max of about $300 or so but would prefer around $250 if I can get something good for that price..

Thanks!

same here.....
I'm downsizing from my 32" LCD to something I can put on my desk and see better. so I can put the 32 on the wall instead of a TV stand.

good pick!... i guess just slightly over budget, might be the one I go for in the near future.

Thank you for the suggestion. Anyone else have a pick in this price range?

$340 wasted on a 24" TN panel? No thank you.
Sure 16:10 is great, but not at a $200 premium for a 24" TN. For $250+ tax (on sale) you can get a Dell u2311 which has much better colors. It is now my 7th computer LCD in use. The next LCD I will purchase will be a high resolution 27" or 30".

OP, some gamers swear by 120hz, others swear by accurate colors (I prefer the latter).
Decide what you want, then we can give recommendations. What kind of games do you play primarily?
For me, I prefer RTS and DOTA style (League of Legends), then RPG/Racing and FPS being last.

I've played through 2/3 of Metro, 1/2 of BFBC2 (no multi) and spend most of my time in single player non-fps games. So, I don't notice much ghosting on my 3x Dell 2209wa lcds.

6 out of 7 LCDs in my house are 16:10, and only one is 16:9 (the u2311), but I still recommend 16:9 for friends because of the availability & price.

Last edited:
16:10 5ms TN= bad for gaming, and certainly in now way worth 100$+ premium for an extra inch and 120 pixles.

The better Sub 250$ gaming LCD's with good reviews. fast response times and accurate color presets are:

Acer H243H Review
LG W2442PA Review
IPS Dell U2311H Review (watch for the color dulling and white dirtying AG coating+terrible QC)
HP 2509b Review (Glossy TN, review still in progress)

There are no reviews yet but some [H] members say the IPS Asus ML239H does not use aggressive AG coating compared to their U2311H/2209WAs. All of these except the Dell can be found for around 200$.

16:10 5ms TN= bad for gaming, and certainly in now way worth 100$+ premium for an extra inch and 120 pixles.

The better Sub 250$ gaming LCD's with good reviews. fast response times and accurate color presets are:

Acer H243H Review
LG W2442PA Review
IPS Dell U2311H Review (watch for the color dulling and white dirtying AG coating+terrible QC)
HP 2509b Review (Glossy TN, review still in progress)

There are no reviews yet but some [H] members say the IPS Asus ML239H does not use aggressive AG coating compared to their U2311H/2209WAs. All of these except the Dell can be found for around 200$.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:
If I wanted a monitor for gaming I'd definitely get the VG236HE. (the HE version is the one without the 3D crap included, so thus cheaper).

120hz. It has a clear surface (so guaranteed to feel natural for your eyes). 400cdm/2. So games should look/feel pretty good on it.

~340 USD.

I'm debating between the Asus you linked to or this Samsung

Does anyone have some insight? $200 is my sweet spot at the moment unless I can get a few extra $$ selling my RAM. In which case I might look into a 120Hz LCD like what Tama suggested.

The Samsung is 5ms and will ghost a lot.

Look at the Acer H243H linked above, 200$ from Walmart and they have a good return policy. It has accurate color, good blacks and a fast response time. The quality of the Asus model is unknown.

One thing to consider about a 23". A 23" screen is actually shorter than a 1680x1050, 22" screen and only a little wider. So a 22 would be a better choice cause you get virtually the same screen real estate but the lower resolution gives you better frame rates. 22", 1680x1050 is the sweet spot for gaming IMO.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to raise my budget. A lot of those models NCX listed are difficult to find (except for the Dell). Could I get anything really awesome for $400?

Walmart sells the H243H for 200$. NClX sells the LG for 230$ and Tiger Direct Sells the HP for 225$.

Just use Nextag.com you should find multiple online retailers.

Yeah, I'm considering the Asus at Walmart. That's a good option as I like the ability to return a monitor if I'm not happy with it. I have mixed feelings about buying from Tiger Direct. I think I can get the LG from Office Depot but they don't allow returns. The HP could be picked up from Staples.

But as we discussed via PM any of these models is a clear drop down from my old Dell Ultrasharp. I don't regret selling, it probably didn't have more than a year of life left max. But now I'm kind of stuck. I'm building a new Sandy Bridge PC that's going to be pretty nice so I need to find something decent to keep up with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to admit I like that Asus. Theyre usually solid performers and for $200, you cant beat that.

I know you said you wanted 23-24 but have you considered a 27"?

I was wanting a 1920x1200 24" but on a whim went down to Atlanta and checked out some 27 inchers and man I want one so bad I cant stand it. All that screen real estate is awfully nice. Most can be had for $300 nowadays.

Have to admit I like that Asus. Theyre usually solid performers and for $200, you cant beat that.

I know you said you wanted 23-24 but have you considered a 27"?

I was wanting a 1920x1200 24" but on a whim went down to Atlanta and checked out some 27 inchers and man I want one so bad I cant stand it. All that screen real estate is awfully nice. Most can be had for $300 nowadays.

I have! I was looking at this Samsung at Sams Club. Maximum PC gave it a good write up and the response time is very low. What do you think? http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1841569&navAction=

Thats the one Ive been looking at. Im sure it wont have the image quality of a high end IPS but itll still look pretty good and if you game, all that screen real estate will be very nice. Microcenter has the LED version for $360 and Im kinda playing with the idea of coughing up the extra 60 bucks for it.

I'll have to check it out the next time I'm at Sams Club. I looked at it in store but only briefly in passing

Cnet says it has a major greent tint to the colors which can't be fixed unless you have a colorimeter.

Cnet says it has a major greent tint to the colors which can't be fixed unless you have a colorimeter.

Yeah, I saw that. It's hard, for every monitor I can find one good review and one middling to terrible review. I can't find too many that everyone thinks highly of.

Those 24" are all very good, and if raised to head level offer a very immersive FOV filling experience. If you have 600$ you might want to get the Glossy 1440p 27" Hazro HZ27WC. These come set out of the box with very good color, contrast and a fast response time.

If you really want to take it to the next level, get a 120Hz monitor that supports 3D. For example, the ASUS VG236HE, which is around $350. Even if you don't want 3D (or can't afford the glasses right away) 120Hz will still be beneficial for 2D gaming.

If you really want to take it to the next level, get a 120Hz monitor that supports 3D. For example, the ASUS VG236HE, which is around $350. Even if you don't want 3D (or can't afford the glasses right away) 120Hz will still be beneficial for 2D gaming.

I'll consider that. Maybe I could get it at Best Buy and get the protection plan as I don't trust Asus customer service.

I'm looking hard at the Planar SA2311 as I had a Planar monitor years ago and I was happy with both the monitor and their customer service (when I had a problem).

Because I think at the end of the day the monitor you pick will have to do with the type of games you play. So choose carefully. Don't get an IPS or VA because of better colors, because it won't work for FPS games, or won't work as 'well'.

I ended up ordering a Samsung PX2370. Reviews are good (Cnet, etc) and New Egg has an AWESOME price on these today.

Back