22" vs. 20.1" - What do you think?

lrtrees

n00b
Well I think I have narrowed my choices down to the Samsung 226BW and the Dell 2007WFP. I have read a lot about the TN panels and their +/-'s. I do play some games, but that is not something I do frequently. But if I do, I would like it to look good.
I have also read about the Dell and am hopeful that I could get s S-IPS panel which I understand is very good for video/photo editing. This is my bigger interest and would really like it to be good for this purpose. I also very seldom watch dvd's on my computer. I have a pretty nice tv to watch those on. I do want a LCD vs. a CRT because of the size.
What I am down to now is the question of size. Obviously the 22" is somewhat larger than the 20" and here is my question. In your opinion, would I really appreciate the extra size of the 22" or would the better screen quality of the 20" make it that big of a deal?
I would appreciate any help or thoughts you might want to share. Any first hand experience would be great!!

Thank-you,
Lon

Go for the Dell 20". If you will be doing any photo editing, you absolutely do not want a TN panel. Just keep in mind that you may have to play the panel lottery with Dell to get the S-IPS-based version.

I don't know about this. After going to Dell's own website and doing some reading on their forums, I am doing only one thing. :rolleyes: and shaking my head. What the hell are they doing with this "lottery" they are creating. They indicate they cannot tell you which version you are paying for. You have NO guaranty of what kind of panel you are paying for. How is that in any way good for business?
Even though the 2007 may be the better screen, if you get the right revision # and if you get a IPS panel, I am starting to lean towards the Samsung. At least I know what I am buying!!

Lon

I would love to hear some feed back on this. I am in the same boat a 22inch or the dell lottery. If all the 2007fwp were ips screens then I would order it in a heart beat. I am not sure if I really wanna send back monitor after monitor in hopes of getting the good one. I also use a pair of accusync lcd 72v at work they are TN pannels and they seem fine to me but I am not that picky. The one advantage of the 22 inch for me atleast is the larger dot pitch I have poor eye site and even at work a 19 inch with 12x10 is a little to small. I won't be doing any photo editing or anything like that were color accuracy is essental. Mostly gaming and surfing with some office work thrown in time to time.

Also is there any other places like dell and costco for buying monitors were you can return it for 1 dead pixel or you don't like it? I was thinking of buying from newegg till reading about there return policy on LCDs.

Obviously the 22" is somewhat larger than the 20" and here is my question. In your opinion, would I really appreciate the extra size of the 22" or would the better screen quality of the 20" make it that big of a deal?

BTW, the max/native resolution for the 22" is the same as the 20" ones, so it's not like you get to see more information on the bigger screen (just less sharp).

(I'm using the 2007wfp s-ips right now.)

I would love to hear some feed back on this. I am in the same boat a 22inch or the dell lottery. If all the 2007fwp were ips screens then I would order it in a heart beat. I am not sure if I really wanna send back monitor after monitor in hopes of getting the good one. I also use a pair of accusync lcd 72v at work they are TN pannels and they seem fine to me but I am not that picky. The one advantage of the 22 inch for me atleast is the larger dot pitch I have poor eye site and even at work a 19 inch with 12x10 is a little to small. I won't be doing any photo editing or anything like that were color accuracy is essental. Mostly gaming and surfing with some office work thrown in time to time.

Also is there any other places like dell and costco for buying monitors were you can return it for 1 dead pixel or you don't like it? I was thinking of buying from newegg till reading about there return policy on LCDs.

Even if you get the S-PVA on the 2007WFP (and decide to keep it), it is still better than TN panels, IMO. Also, Vista scales font size pretty well, so choosing bigger text within the OS is an option for you.

What I am down to now is the question of size. Obviously the 22" is somewhat larger than the 20" and here is my question. In your opinion, would I really appreciate the extra size of the 22" or would the better screen quality of the 20" make it that big of a deal?

Thank-you,
Lon
What is the size of your current monitor, that you plan to upgrade from?

The Dell 20" 2007FP or the FPW are pretty impressive. I just received 2 of the 2007FP and they look great. Very good even backlight. The monitors height adjusts and base swivel is pretty convenient. I personally had a 22" LCD and moved to a 24" S-PVA panel in 4 months. The big difference I noticed is the colors when playing video games. Images looks sharper and more vivid. At first, I liked the 22" mainly because of that number and it's bigger than a 20" or 21". However, down the line, I wasn't satisfied with the image quality to hold onto it any longer.

Most 20.1's have better color reproduction. Better viewing angles. They dont have however is as fast response time, size and sometimes brightness. The bad thing about 22inchers is they lack color definition, sometimes are prone to heavy uneven backlighting. Also 20.1's generaly have better pixel pitch, which for sharpeness is pretty important.

What is the size of your current monitor, that you plan to upgrade from?
The reason I asked is that I also am planing to go from a 19" CRT (really only 18" viewable) to a larger LCD.

When I started my search I took a small tape measure and went to the stores measuring screens. I first decided on a 20" standard-size LCD, but didn't feel like I was gaining much more area. I was against the 20" widescreen because the height was about the same as a 19", and I wanted more height than width. I then decided on the 22" widescreen as the best, but even it really wasn't much bigger than my 19" CRT. After reading bad reviews of all the 22" widescreens, I began looking at the 24" widescreens and saw how much more dramatic in size they were from the 19-22" screeens.

I've now decided to go with the Dell 24" widescreen and bite the bullet in cost (twice the price). I didn't want to get a 20-22" now, and then be regretting later that I didn't get the 24".

I've now decided to go with the Dell 24" widescreen and bite the bullet in cost (twice the price). I didn't want to get a 20-22" now, and then be regretting later that I didn't get the 24".

I felt the same way when I got the 22". At the time, I felt I didn't want to spend $700 on a monitor. I also was not aware of the 22" with backlight bleeding issues and it using 6 bit TN panels. But then, realized it is worth it because it is bigger than a 22", the resolution is higher and the image quality is better. If the added size and image quality is better on another monitor then it justifies paying the extra money. But, if spending hundreds of dollars more for just added size with the same image quality or lower, then I feel it's not worth it.

I went to best buy to check out some of the different types of pannels. I got a chance to see a couple of 22 and the 24 inch gateway. The viewing angles were horrible on the 22 inch it was nothing like the tn pannel I use at work. I could live with the poor colors and blacks but the viewing angle is a deal breaker. The gateway 24 inch was very very impressive the viewing angles were solid as was the color I am almost thinking of saving up for it. The only thing I worry about is spending that much on it and having ghosting issues in games.

Anyone every buy from the dell outlet store? I was thinking of getting a ref 2007fwp. I can live with a few dings and scratches. If they let me return it till I get 0 dead pixels I think I could live with it even if it s a pva and no real warrenty.

Samsung is changing the panel for their 226BWs from samsung panel to AOC ones.
the quality of the AOC panel is not bad but obiously not as good as the samsung one...

Samsung is changing the panel for their 226BWs from samsung panel to AOC ones.
the quality of the AOC panel is not bad but obiously not as good as the samsung one...

Where'd you hear this, when's it happening, and how can I tell if I get a samsung one?

The gateway 24 inch was very very impressive the viewing angles were solid as was the color I am almost thinking of saving up for it. The only thing I worry about is spending that much on it and having ghosting issues in games.

Yeah, unfortunately for some owners of the 24" Gateways, they mentioned issues on ghosting especially in PC gaming. I game on it with the Xbox360 and have not noticed any ghosting.

Where'd you hear this, when's it happening, and how can I tell if I get a samsung one?

i heard it a forum in China, let the pics explain the rest.
Once you open the box, you can easily tell from the back of the monitor.
See the "Model:226BW (R) A"? the A means its using AOC panel
88d5f807-dc99-4686-94bf-bcc0b56bcca8.jpg

Factory model osd info-Panel info- AU M220EW01 which also means its using the AOC panel
8f0ccd02-a8bf-4edb-bc5e-0d717f427064.jpg

Next, "Model:226BW (R) S", Samsung Panel:
94b554f1-3e79-4f43-a618-846b2da81d39.jpg

factory mode osd info of the "S" version, Panel Info-AMLCD 220M1:
d5b981cc-c5b7-408d-80e7-9eea73ce4c8c.jpg

Wow thanks for that info. Now I'm even more eager to pick up one of these before the worse panels roll in. Any idea when that's gonna happen?

Wow thanks for that info. Now I'm even more eager to pick up one of these before the worse panels roll in. Any idea when that's gonna happen?

all the i know is it is already "massive" happenning in Asia, not sure about U.S., i suggest u go to circuit and check it out yourself.

Isn't this a bit like buying a Lexus you test drove and then finding out the one you bought actually swapped in a Kia engine? Seems like it should be regulated/illegal.

Is there any way to tell if its Sammy or AOC from the box, as CC may not be thrilled with me breaking open the box to check back panel and then not buying if its AOC?

Just my 2 cents.

Isn't this a bit like buying a Lexus you test drove and then finding out the one you bought actually swapped in a Kia engine? Seems like it should be regulated/illegal.

Is there any way to tell if its Sammy or AOC from the box, as CC may not be thrilled with me breaking open the box to check back panel and then not buying if its AOC?

Just my 2 cents.

Yes, I would really like to know this as well. It would save alot of time & trouble as well as a 15% restocking fee if you can tell just by looking at the label on the box.

I'm really kicking myself for not picking one up at my local CC a week or so ago. They're out of stock now.

Bump

Agreed. is the seria/model # on the box?

I'm picking one up next month in CC as well.

Thanks!

testrossa, aside from this chinese forum and the pictures of the two different letters is there any qualitative proof of this panel switch? has there been any side by side comparisons?

also, is this going to be more like a lottery, or are they just going t onow totally switch over? (that is, if this is even for real and not just a miscommunication).

testrossa, aside from this chinese forum and the pictures of the two different letters is there any qualitative proof of this panel switch? has there been any side by side comparisons?

also, is this going to be more like a lottery, or are they just going t onow totally switch over? (that is, if this is even for real and not just a miscommunication).

I havent find any side by side comparison, but since the"A" version is using the AOC panel, you can easily judge by the performance of the AOC panel monitor instead of being so specific to a 226bw thats using the AOC panel.
basically, AOC panel has more backlit bleeding and less color accuracy.

AOC's backlit bleeding:
000287213.jpg

Samsung 226bw with samsung panel backlit bleeding(Dynamic contrast disabled):
000304494.jpg

Samsung 226bw with samsung panel backlit bleeding(Dynamic contrast enabled):
000304493.jpg

btw, this is not the first time samsung's done something like this, send the good ones out there first to earn respects and then switch the panel to a lower quelity one.

so they switch right away and do it permanently? seems kind of abrupt, almost worse than how dell handles it.

also, i mean, even if they use an AOC panel it still cant be all the same, i mean just like the TN they use it should at least conform to updated specifications?

also, it looks like, at least before the contrast is turned on that the samsung has worser backlight bleeding.

i dunno though, either way it makes me wonder, would it be worse to get a Dell S-PVA monitor, or one of these?

I havent find any side by side comparison, but since the"A" version is using the AOC panel, you can easily judge by the performance of the AOC panel monitor instead of being so specific to a 226bw thats using the AOC panel.
basically, AOC panel has more backlit bleeding and less color accuracy.
That site you got the pictures from, they didn't have any picture of the AOC panel with the Dynamic Contrast enabled?

btw i went to best buy today and their much older 19" model (with the same new bezel though) had an "a" on the back of it. I dunno, maybe people are making too a big a deal over it. I mean at least it's effectively the same panel and not something crazey like the Dell switch with PVA and IPS (of which i'm still trying to discern how truly bad getting an S-PVA would be, since they arent supposed to be half bad).

I Read The Fine Manual (on CD), which told me to press the MagicBright button several times (the second from the left), to change the presets ..one of those is Dynanic Contrast.

I got mine today (Northern Europe), still equipped with S-panel. Little backlit quite evenly on the panel... DC however eliminates quite perfectly that. No d-pixels, viewing angles not as good as with my over 3-years old HP 20" 16ms PVA -panel, but good enough.

How do you summon that Service Mode on this gear?

Wow thanks for the information!

These 226BW's are just being released in Australia on March 1st and I'm now going to make sure the model is a 226BW S and not an A.

well you may be dissapointed, as has been noted they likely only made the s panel for the intitial shipment becjause AU wasn't ready with their stock, by the time the australian shipments go out it may be over with.

wow, there is a fair amount of confusion around all over the place, not just here, about the SM226BW. The pics above of the factory menu and stickers show there are two panels being interchanged on the SM226BW model, that's for sure. However, this is not an "AOC" panel, they are a (fairly small nowadays) screen manufacturer, they don't make LCD panels themselves. There are two panels:

1. Samsung's own TN Film panel, the LTM220M1
2. AU Optronics' TN Film panel (not AOC, but AUO ;)) the M220EW01.

It seems people are claiming that the Samsung panel is superior in terms of colour accuracy and panel uniformity. I've not finished wading through the 31 page main thread, so will be back with some more in a sec :)

edit: Long reply here: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030725036&postcount=695 :)

Back