21:9 - 2560X1080 larger than 29"?

anonuser

[H]ard|Gawd
I've used a 37" Westinghouse at about 3.5ft away for seven years now. I love gaming and watching movies on it and don't mind regular browsing/productivity. I've tried higher resolution, but smaller, monitors (2560x1600, 2560x1440), and while I loved the extra real estate, I hated that I couldn't enjoy movies or gaming as much due to the smaller size. Another big plus is that I didn't need SLI or even to upgrade my graphics cards as often.

I know that many companies have released their own 2560x1080 29" screens using, I'm assuming, the same panel from a single manufacturer? I don't know about anyone else, but I am intrigued by the resolution and it's use as a single monitor that can handle 2 open windows next to each other, gaming, and no bezel almost like 2 smaller monitors side by side. The reviews are almost all positive with the caveat that you need to be enjoy gaming/movies to really get the most of this monitor. If I was worried about only productivity I would definitely be fine with a 27"/30" high resolution monitor, but what I really want is...

A LARGER ULTRA WIDESCREEN MONITOR!

39" or 42" would be great.

Comparison vs Westinghouse 37"
39": http://www.displaywars.com/37-inch-16x9-vs-39-inch-21x9
42"? http://www.displaywars.com/37-inch-16x9-vs-42-inch-21x9

I know this is just talk, but I would be willing to pay a lot for one of these screens and I'm assuming a lot of larger screen enthusiasts would be too.

I know that the "ultra widescreen" HDTVs from Phillips were only really sold in Europe and the one from Vizio only materialized in in 58" instead of both 58" and 71". They also had a lot of issues, but I could see it succeeding if it was targeted at PC gamers instead of movie enthusiasts who would probably rather just pick up a projector and screen.

Last edited:
I was looking a larger than 29" 21:9 monitor as well but didn't see any.

There is a Vizio TV with that aspect ratio, but I think it's about $2000 and 50 inches.

There is a Vizio TV with that aspect ratio, but I think it's about $2000 and 50 inches.

Unfortunately, it was discontinued and you could can get it fairly cheap (costco even sold it for $899 at one point. The issue was that firmware seemed almost unfinished and had lots of issues with PC input so it would never be good as a dedicated HTPC or PC gaming screen.

Also be aware that some of those no bezel monitors have a 1-1/2" black border inside the screen thus ruining the effect of multiple screen gaming. AOC being one such manufacturer.

Philips definitely made some widescreen format ~(2.35:1) TV's years ago. It's possible they still do.

Also be aware that some of those no bezel monitors have a 1-1/2" black border inside the screen thus ruining the effect of multiple screen gaming. AOC being one such manufacturer.

The NEC EA294WMI is the only non-frameless 29." The frame-less models inner black bezel is so dark it makes the blacks look a bit grayish.

PRAD, =DEAD= & Extrahardware all have reviews

Philips definitely made some widescreen format ~(2.35:1) TV's years ago. It's possible they still do.

Phillips, like Vizio, discontinued them (or only sell them in very limited quantities outside of the USA):
http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/28/3273716/philips-cinema-21-9-tvs-discontinued

I think the problem is that for the price, most people interested in a home theater experience would just opt for a projector/screen. This format really makes sense in PC gaming though and that's why the 29" 21:9 monitors are doing pretty well.

The NEC EA294WMI is the only non-frameless 29." The frame-less models inner black bezel is so dark it makes the blacks look a bit grayish.

PRAD, =DEAD= & Extrahardware all have reviews

A shame the NEC monitor has a thick bezel. It's specs are not that great either. It lags behind the other competitors according to that Czech review. Not worth the $800 price tag. Hopefully the manufacturers will keep trying to improve this 29" 21:9 market.

My issue is the 1080 vertical lines is 1080 isnt enough. I really think there are 3 things that would make the market explode, if either there was a monitor with 1200 vertical lines, making it a 3200x1200. This resolution should still be low enough to be supported by current interfaces at 60hz. Or, a 32:9 aspect monitor, effectively replacing multimonitor setups. Or, a 21:9 2560x1080 120hz (though this would obviously have to wait for next gen interface tech). 29" is still a pretty decent size, but yeah could use a couple extra inches, but not at the expense of pixel density.

My issue is the 1080 vertical lines is 1080 isnt enough. I really think there are 3 things that would make the market explode, if either there was a monitor with 1200 vertical lines, making it a 3200x1200. This resolution should still be low enough to be supported by current interfaces at 60hz. Or, a 32:9 aspect monitor, effectively replacing multimonitor setups. Or, a 21:9 2560x1080 120hz (though this would obviously have to wait for next gen interface tech). 29" is still a pretty decent size, but yeah could use a couple extra inches, but not at the expense of pixel density.

I agree about the 1080, but most manufactuers have phased out 16:10 for 16:9 screens :(

IMO, 29" isn't a really a decent size because it's measured diagonally. In fact, a 24" 1080p panel is actually a little bit talller than the 29". See: http://www.displaywars.com/29-inch-21x9-vs-24-inch-16x9

I'd think you'd need to sit back from it though and that's a problem if you want it on a desk and use it as a pc monitor for pc gaming. I think something between 30"and 40" would be better but that's just my opinion. :)

I agree. You would have to pump up the DPI scaling to sit decently far from it and it would just be a little too wide I think.

Wouldn't be as wide as Eyefinity setups.

True, but speaking from someone who has been using triple monitors for a few years, it really is a lot of wasted space, FOV and, performance. The novelty wares off quickly. I would much rather have dual monitor width but there would be a damn bezel smack dab in the middle of my cross hairs. I think the sweet spot would be 32:9.

Don't get me wrong though, I haven't pulled the trigger on a new monitor in quite a while. Many good single monitors out there, 16:9 high rez 120hz 27" or 16:9 Lightboost 120hz 27", but every time I play on a single monitor I get claustrophobic. Still waiting for that Perfect widescreen. I hope I don't have to wait forever.. Who knows though, Oculus Rift might be the next immersive display, IF they can fix all the problems with it.

Last edited:
Back