20pin+7800+whoops=:[ help asap please

StOCK

Limp Gawd
so i bought a new system. the two important parts right now are the mobo[EPoX EP-9NPAJ], videocard [7800gtx] and the power supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16817153006

i'm a dumbass and picked the wrong one. the power supply is 20 pin and the mobo is 24. will this cut it with my setup? i think it comes with a pcie power plug to go into the card[is that possible?] do i need the 20 to 24 pin converter thing or is that too sketchy to run with a 7800gtx?

if that psu won't work, i will be grateful if someone links me to a suitable psu under 100 dollars that i can get B&M at one of these stores[ i probably won't have time to buy it online] bestbuy, circuit city, staples, comp usa, radioshack.[pretty much anything NOT office max/depo, they all closed down around me]

please help. rewards will be given if it works.

i used a 20 pin antec truepower 430 with my 7800gtx for about 5 days. without the converter. it worked, but you'll probably want to get a new power supply. mine was slightly unstable (random crashes), but not spitting out flames or anything. it had 26 A @ 12 V which is supposedly adequate but not in my case...

now i'm using the truepower 2 550 sli power supply... much better.

Link's not working for me. Can you post what brand/model PSU you're using?

One of the most important things here is the amperes rating on the +12V. +12V@26A is the suggested minimum for systems with single 7800GTX cards.

My suggestion is to go to the stores and look for the trusted brands (Antec, Enermax, PC Power & Cooling, Fortron -- just a few). Make sure the models you are looking at are carrying at least 26A on the 12V rail, and you're set. That said, there should be plenty of sub-$100 PSUs that'll meet those requirements. Check the first stickied thread in this forum for a list of quality PSUs.

I'll leave the 20/24-pin adapters to someone more knowledgeable on the topic.

I'm pretty sure he meant this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153006

It has 18A in the 12V rail, which, if deathstar550's figure of 26A is correct, will not be enough.

However, your concern about the 20- vs. 24-pin issue is misplaced, IMO; the 24-pin standard was made to be backwards-compatible with the 20-pin standard. 20-pin connectors will go into 24-pin slots (the last 4 openings on one end are just empty) and 24-pin connectors go into 20-pin slots (barring anything directly next to the slot, the extra 4 pins will simply hang off the side).

Also, I believe that someone around here did tests with an ATX extender cable, and found that it introduced enough resistance to make a significant enough difference in power delivery.

DanK said:
I'm pretty sure he meant this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153006

It has 18A in the 12V rail, which, if deathstar550's figure of 26A is correct, will not be enough.

Yes 18amps for a modern A64 system would be on the light side if it is a fullsized system not a SFF.

However, your concern about the 20- vs. 24-pin issue is misplaced, IMO; the 24-pin standard was made to be backwards-compatible with the 20-pin standard. 20-pin connectors will go into 24-pin slots (the last 4 openings on one end are just empty) and 24-pin connectors go into 20-pin slots (barring anything directly next to the slot, the extra 4 pins will simply hang off the side).

That is correct this is usually not an issue however there have been a few reports fo problems with a 20pin in a 24pin ATX connector. Only way to know with your setup is to try.

Also, I believe that someone around here did tests with an ATX extender cable, and found that it introduced enough resistance to make a significant enough difference in power delivery.
It was mainly on the 3.3v...and that would be jonnyGURU.

bestbuy does carry truepower 2's... the 430watt version is like 80 bucks I think...

Back