2080Ti price returning to earth a bit

Lower than average sales ? Everything other than. On Nvidia’s FE esitons sells out instantly still if at msrp price.

Newegg and Amazon only are able to keep third party way over msrp prices in stock.

I guess some of you are not comprehending that there has probably been relatively few cards even made so that's why they're selling out. :rolleyes:

A bit anecdotal, but I saw my first RTX 2080 Ti at my local Microcenter yesterday. They only had a single RTX 2080 Ti but several plain RTX 2080. I feel bad for the RTX 2070's as the store is very well stocked with them to the point I wonder if they have sold any in the face of GTX 1080 and GTX 1080 Ti still being offered in the same general price range. For the record, this Microcenter tends to price GPUs rather high versus e-tail establishments (but they rock for CPU pricing).

I've seen 2080ti cards sporadically in stock locally. Just not the model I wanted so I relented and got the Asus Dual fan model.

Funny thing is, there's always an ideal profit price point. What's most curious to me is why Nvidia (and now Intel with the i9-9900K) launched new parts with such scarcity. Why bother?

Funny thing is, there's always an ideal profit price point. What's most curious to me is why Nvidia (and now Intel with the i9-9900K) launched new parts with such scarcity. Why bother?
Exactly, paper launches like this is just a waste of everyone's time. Annouce, set-up pre-orders if you want but when you set the street date have supply. If that means you are pushing back a month so be it. Nintendo is famous for doing this so people emply that the demand is higher then reality.

Proliferation of stock is the result of market research. Maybe NVIDIA misread the market demand and thought like a lot of people here that very few would be interested in a card with future tech selling for twice the price over the prior generation. You also have to consider the stories out there on the low yields NVIDIA are getting.

I think good luck finding stock of expensive cards let alone the cheap ones....

I guess some of you are not comprehending that there has probably been relatively few cards even made so that's why they're selling out. :rolleyes:

Do you have any evidence that this is the case or are you just speculating? Not trying to troll you, and it stands to reason yields may be lower than previous "Ti" cards because of the much larger die, but I honestly haven't seen this time around being any different with regard to availability and pricing relative to MSRP than it was for the 1080ti, or the 980ti for that matter.

It's hardly new for new products in the pc space (particularly with high end gpus and cpu's) to have limited availability at launch. The retailers must get a boner when this happens (and it happens with convenient regularity) as it lets them crank the price up to whatever the fuck they want. :rage:

The Ti cards have been sold out everywhere. Not sure how that is lower than average.
This is all relative to how many cards were actually produced. Sold out when you manufactured less than you figured the demand would be? To make a false sense of scarcity and drive up cost?

Yep, the hype train is slowing down.
For those who paid $1,200+... well consider the $200 extra as a tax for being first adopters.

Hopefully, $900-ish with a coupon may be a possible thing before the end of the year... :)

Yep, the hype train is slowing down.
For those who paid $1,200+... well consider the $200 extra as a tax for being first adopters.

Hopefully, $900-ish with a coupon may be a possible thing before the end of the year... :)

Same here. At $900 (+$150 for a full cover waterblock) I'll probably pull the trigger on a 2080ti. $1k's still a bit over my max threshold; and unless DLAA becomes widely available (and delivers on the pre-release hype) the 2080's not quite enough of an upgrade from my 1080 to be worth it.

EVGA now has a 2080Ti in their lineup listed for $999. Hopefully other vendors will follow suite.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2281-KR

the black edition is the reference clock card while the non black edition of the same exact card is the overclocked version. the reference clocked 2080ti should be 999 while the overclocked(FE clocks and up) versions are 1200+. now the question is whether or not there are forced limitations on the reference clocked models to make sure they can't overclock higher than the FE chips i don't know.

aka nothing has changed, they just did a brand bait and switch with the naming.

the black edition is the reference clock card while the non black edition of the same exact card is the overclocked version. the reference clocked 2080ti should be 999 while the overclocked(FE clocks and up) versions are 1200+. now the question is whether or not there are forced limitations on the reference clocked models to make sure they can't overclock higher than the FE chips i don't know.

Ummm. Yes, something has changed here... it's a 2080Ti for $999. Show me any other vendor that is currently listing or selling a 2080Ti for $999, regardless of whether or not it comes factory pre-overclocked. I'm not seeing this as a brand "bait and switch" at all - just a choice of buying a 2080Ti overclocked or not.

And let's get real here, the real performance spec diff according to Nvidia as to the "FE" version of the 2080Ti and the reference version is an overclock of +90Mhz applied to the GPU boost clock... which amounts to less than a 6% OC "boost". The card's GPU base clocks are identical.

Regardless if it is running at reference clocks or if it is running a factory overclock, it still *IS* a 2080Ti card. OC'ing is just left up to the user in this "black" edition. I seriously doubt they are restricting OC'ing in any way... the GPU silicon is the same. But, the cards themselves may be binned as not being as good an overclocker perhaps.... or its aftermarket cooling design may not be as capable/well engineered... perhaps both. Your "bait and switch" comment implies you are not getting a 2080Ti, which is not the case here. It would be interesting to see if someone bought one, slapped a waterblock on it, and then tested to see what kind of OC it would take and hold.

Last edited:

IIRC reading something about NVidia only selling pre-binned GPU dies at speed indexed prices, and specifying the maximum allowed factory clock based on the bin. If so, that'd strongly suggest that part of why/how EVGA is selling this card for $200 less is that they're using the cheapest/slowest bin, will have a much lower than typical factory overclock, and poor manual over clocking results.

Ummm. Yes, something has changed here... it's a 2080Ti for $999. Show me any other vendor that is currently listing or selling a 2080Ti for $999, regardless of whether or not it comes factory pre-overclocked. I'm not seeing this as a brand "bait and switch" at all - just a choice of buying a 2080Ti overclocked or not. Regardless if it is running at reference clocks or if it is running a factory overclock, it still *IS* a 2080Ti card. OC'ing is just left up to the user in this "black" edition. I seriously doubt they are restricting OC'ing in any way... the GPU silicon is the same. But, the card may be binned as not being as good an overclocker perhaps.... or its aftermarket cooling design may not be as capable/well engineered... perhaps both. Your "bait and switch" comment implies you are not getting a 2080Ti, which is not the case here. It would be interesting to see if someone bought one, slapped a waterblock on it, and then tested to see what kind of OC it would take and hold.

they may be the same silicon but the FE certified chips are cherry picked and come with a premium price tag the AIB's have to pay to get them.. i can't see those same companies risking the possibility of hurting those sales by allowing the base clocked cards to perform the same or better than the premium chips. the bait and switch is in reference to evga's bullshit naming scheme.

this is why i've always hated EVGA's naming scheme.. here's 3 cards.. 1 is reference clocked, 1 has +15mhz over reference clock and costs 150 dollars more and one has FE clocks.. which one is which without looking them up? visually and hardware wise all 3 cards are 100% identical.

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC BLACK EDITION GAMING, 11G-, 11GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans & RGB LED
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION GAMING, 11G-, 11GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans & RGB LED
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC GAMING, 11G-, 11GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans & RGB LED

you can't tell me this isn't the most confusing bullshit ever created for the average consumer.

Last edited:
they may be the same silicon but the FE certified chips are cherry picked and come with a premium price tag the AIB's have to pay to get them.. i can't see those same companies risking the possibility of hurting those sales by allowing the base clocked cards to perform the same or better than the premium chips. the bait and switch is in reference to evga's bullshit naming scheme.

this is why i've always hated EVGA's naming scheme.. here's 3 cards.. 1 is reference clocked, 1 has +15mhz over reference clock and costs 150 dollars more and one has FE clocks.. which one is which without looking them up? visually and hardware wise all 3 cards are 100% identical.

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC BLACK EDITION GAMING, 11G-, 11GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans & RGB LED
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION GAMING, 11G-, 11GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans & RGB LED

you can't tell me this isn't the most confusing bullshit ever created for the average consumer.

Ok, I see your point, but the average Joe gamer is going to grab whichever is cheapest. Then again, the average Joe gamer probably isn't going to drop $1K on a friggin graphics card. :)

Beyond the primary distinction of FE vs. non-FE clocked cards, it primarily boils down to how big they go on the actual factory OC in BIOS, cooler design, warranty support and lots and lots of marketing involving names, color, decals, and twinkly lights. :)

Confusing, yes, I agree. However the average consumer is not dropping $1,000+ on a video card.

Anyone spending that money should do some research first and, if not, they probably don't know or care what the difference is.

I don't see how it's confusing when the basic specs are transparent in the product listing.

upload_2018-10-31_15-16-58.png

upload_2018-10-31_15-18-7.png

upload_2018-10-31_15-18-41.png

If you're dropping this kind of dough on a product based on name alone, without even knowing what exactly you're buying, then you're an idiot. The EVGA site even has a comparison tool, as seen above.

Define "returning to earth". As I see it, $1000 for an enthusiast GPU is still somewhere a few miles above the Van Allen belt.

You forgot to include the "a bit" qualifier in your quote of the thread title. The "a bit" is really important. We definitely are still in a fairly high and stable price orbit well above the outer exosphere... so no worries about heating up from atmospheric friction any time soon. :D

I'm fine paying $1200 for the top end GPU, but

1) This isn't the Titan model, which will inevitably be released to milk cash from those willing to pay for halo parts once they've sold enough 2080 Tis, so I'm not biting yet

and

2) It's not $1200 faster than my existing Titan XP

I'm fine paying $1200 for the top end GPU, but

1) This isn't the Titan model, which will inevitably be released to milk cash from those willing to pay for halo parts once they've sold enough 2080 Tis, so I'm not biting yet

and

2) It's not $1200 faster than my existing Titan XP

Titan has become a pro branding not a consumer one. A number of people, myself included, think that the $1000+ ##80 Ti at launch is intended as the replacement for the Gamer Titan.

Titan has become a pro branding not a consumer one. A number of people, myself included, think that the $1000+ ##80 Ti at launch is intended as the replacement for the Gamer Titan.

Yeah 2080ti is very very similar to the original Titan X in line placement. Also even if they release a faster card it would only be ~7% faster rasterized/ 0% faster ray tracing and god knows how much money.

I can see Nvidia retaining the flexibility to use the 'Titan' name for top-tier gaming cards when they've already released an xx80 Ti, i.e. due to poor planning most likely, but it makes little sense for them to deliberately plan on using that name for gaming cards.

Yeah 2080ti is very very similar to the original Titan X in line placement. Also even if they release a faster card it would only be ~7% faster rasterized/ 0% faster ray tracing and god knows how much money.

And that's the other side- if a Titan is a fully-enabled Ti, well, there's just not that much room in TU102 for it.

Actually, Titan started off as a prosumer model, then it became a gaming model, and has sort of changed roles back and forth since. It seems to fit whatever hole NVIDIA wants it to fill at any given time. So I guess we will see.

However for Turing I suspect you are right. There doesn't appear to be a place for a consumer Volta and I believe the RTX 2080 Ti is the full die.

Actually, Titan started off as a prosumer model, then it became a gaming model, and has sort of changed roles back and forth since. It seems to fit whatever hole NVIDIA wants it to fill at any given time. So I guess we will see.

However for Turing I suspect you are right. There doesn't appear to be a place for a consumer Volta and I believe the RTX 2080 Ti is the full die.

You can tell what the full die is from the top Quadro card and the 2080ti is very close. That’s how I came up with 7% better rasterized and 0% better ray tracing in my other post.

Back