2080Ti NVlink bridge questions

Apologies if these are n00b questions which have already been answered. I did a search but didn't get a clear answer since most results were either pre-release or from the first week after the keynote.

1. Does the 2080 Ti support 4-GPU NVlink links? Or are we limited to just pairs of GPUs at this point?
  2. Does anybody make an NVlink bridge which supports 2-slot spacing? The narrowest I see on Nvidia's site is 3-slot since they're assuming the factory air cooling will be left in place.

1. Nope, Nvidia pretty much killed SLI above 2 GPU.
2. Also nope, as far as I know, there is a 2 slot NVLink for Quadro but not for RTX cards (NVLink is different for RTX lineup than Quadro lineup).

Ah, that's too bad. I'm almost done with my build and the NVLink might end up being the missing link. Was hoping I could at least do pairs, but if there isn't an NVLink with the right spacing, I won't even be able to do that. Maybe I'll just get a 4-slot NVLink so I can at least link the odd numbered cards.

Ah, that's too bad. I'm almost done with my build and the NVLink might end up being the missing link. Was hoping I could at least do pairs, but if there isn't an NVLink with the right spacing, I won't even be able to do that. Maybe I'll just get a 4-slot NVLink so I can at least link the odd numbered cards.
That sucks, I know there are custom NVLink for RTX but so far it is only for 3 or 4 slots. I am surprise no one made a flexible NVLink.

SLI/NVLink is only for 2 cards (they stopped supporting 3+ SLI with the 10-series).

Look in your motherboard manual for which PCI-E slots the GPUs can be on. You can't just plug them into any slot (or maybe you can try, but sub-optimally). Most motherboards I've had used 3-slot spacing.

Look in your motherboard manual for which PCI-E slots the GPUs can be on. You can't just plug them into any slot (or maybe you can try, but sub-optimally).

I'm taking a conservative approach and will be plugging a GPU into every PCI-E slot on the motherboard.

I'm taking a conservative approach and will be plugging a GPU into every PCI-E slot on the motherboard.
But that's not a good idea for the reasons I mentioned. There are some applications I think can still take advantage of up to 4 cards, but for most games you can only run 2 (and in specific slots as per your mobo).

As a [hopefully] temporary measure, I’m thinking I will just put the link between GPUs 1 & 3 so they can operate as a pair while 2&4 operate as solo cards. It isn’t ideal, but it should still get the job done so long as there is physical clearance for the bridge.

This is supposed to be a work (FMEA) box first and foremost. I tell myself gaming is secondary.

Back