2080Ti died...what to replace with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alxlwson

You Know Where I Live
So my 2080Ti died. I need to replace it.
Thinking of an EVGA 3080 12GB Hydro Copper. Willing to entertain better uses of my money.
Card MUST either come blocked or have aftermarket block support.
Yes, I know, terrible time for it to happen.
I play 4k on an LG CX, so HDMI 2.1 support is a must.

should just get a "for now" 3070. Sell it when 4000 series comes out and get a 4080.

I would just find a 3070 on ebay go the cheap route for now and buy a 4080 when they come out and sell the 3070.... might save you a little scratch.

I went from a 2080 gtx to a 3080 on same tv setup and got some nice top end enhancements not sure if the ti to same would be as huge. Fyi microcenter has the 3090 for $1350 right now or if you check slick deals 3070 are at 500+ and 3080s are around 750+ but not sure models match up to good water blocks.

Was planning on buying a 4000 series, but this set that plan back. So whatever I buy will hold me to whatever supercedes that

Depending on his resolution a 3070 might not have enough VRAM. Otherwise, I would suggest this as well.
OP uses 4K, so a 3070 is probably not sufficient unless at 60 Hz and/or reduced graphics settings. 3080 is the bottom of what I'd recommend. 3070 Ti might be a viable option, depending on usage.

OP uses 4K, so a 3070 is probably not sufficient unless at 60 Hz and/or reduced graphics settings. 3080 is the bottom of what I'd recommend. 3070 Ti might be a viable option, depending on usage.
Depending on his resolution a 3070 might not have enough VRAM. Otherwise, I would suggest this as well.

Correct. I have a 4k 120Hz 48" LG CX OLED panel that I use. This is a Gsync/VRR HDMI 2.1 10bit 4.4.4 panel. 10GB VRAM is going to be the minimum. Satisfactory eats every KB of available VRAM of the 2080Ti so I'm even cautious about stepping down a GB from its 11GB, but its an unoptimized title. I don't play a lot of super duper demanding titles, and don't play much FPS anymore. I mostly play sim games and RPGs.
However, the 3x00 is faster with memory management so perhaps that 1GB is not a huge deal-breaker.
There really are too many SKUs.
Wife gave me the OK to get the 3800 12GB XC3 Hydro Copper at Amazon for $1100. Should I spend another $200 for the Ti variant? I'm gonna OC the piss out of either one so that is a consideration. Or should I spend less? How's the 3700Ti sit? It's not a SKU I even have looked at before.

Correct. I have a 4k 120Hz 48" LG CX OLED panel that I use. This is a Gsync/VRR HDMI 2.1 10bit 4.4.4 panel. 10GB VRAM is going to be the minimum. Satisfactory eats every KB of available VRAM of the 2080Ti so I'm even cautious about stepping down a GB from its 11GB, but its an unoptimized title. I don't play a lot of super duper demanding titles, and don't play much FPS anymore. I mostly play sim games and RPGs.
However, the 3x00 is faster with memory management so perhaps that 1GB is not a huge deal-breaker.
Wife gave me the OK to get the 3800 12GB XC3 Hydro Copper at Amazon for $1100. Should I spend another $200 for the Ti variant? I'm gonna OC the piss out of either one so that is a consideration. Or should I spend less? How's the 3700Ti sit? It's not a SKU I even have looked at before.

But the FTW3.... Is in stock. Oh not 12gb

1656792511058.png

1656792756362.png

bah trying to do too many things and failing at this lol

Last edited:
The 3070 Ti sits above the base 3070 and below the 3080 about equally (I mean in basically even increments) based on benchmarks I've looked at. The 3080Ti is an exceptional card and if you can get it for 200 more than the base 3080, that sounds like quite a deal. But at 120 FPS, you'd be fine with a standard 3080.

But the FTW3.... Is in stock. Oh not 12gb

View attachment 488478
The 10GB cards are still not bad but I'd go for a 12GB if able. Benchmarks for the 10 still beat the 3070Ti readily. For less than $1K for a water-cooled card, I'd not rule those out.

Only acceptable upgrade from a 2080ti is a 3080 12gb, 3080ti, or 3090.

Just got back from Farmer's Market. We(wife) are farmers. Rewatched a few reviews on these parts.
Jesus. I forgot how angry everyone was due to all these marginal SKU increases.
I also remember trying to buy a 3080 on launch day and being fucked by sneaker bots for the first time. What a fun few years it has been.

Seems 3070Ti is a nogo.

What about the 6950XT? Any thoughts on that? DLSS is pretty nice, but I think the only game I actually play that uses it is Diablo 2: Resurrected.

This seems ridiculous as to the complication. Used to be easy to figure out how to spend a grand.

Just got back from Farmer's Market. We(wife) are farmers. Rewatched a few reviews on these parts.
Jesus. I forgot how angry everyone was due to all these marginal SKU increases.
I also remember trying to buy a 3080 on launch day and being fucked by sneaker bots for the first time. What a fun few years it has been.

Seems 3070Ti is a nogo.

What about the 6950XT? Any thoughts on that? DLSS is pretty nice, but I think the only game I actually play that uses it is Diablo 2: Resurrected.

This seems ridiculous as to the complication. Used to be easy to figure out how to spend a grand.
Certainly a much better price point than the 3090, and even a bit better than certain 3080s. Performance wise, you'll be very happy with it as it beats out the 3080s hands down except possibly in ray-tracing, if that's important to you. If you're okay with switching to AMD, I think you'll be very pleased with the 6950XT. I've been considering a switch to AMD myself.

Get a hot deal 3080 12gb for around $800, live without water on jt for a few months and put the rest towards a new 4xxx card once those are out... Assuming you can even catch one or want more performance once you see what the 3080 12gb does.

After weighing all the options, went ahead an ordered a 3080 Ti FTW3 Hydro Copper. Next steps up and down for performance weren't acceptable, especially considering price. Ended up getting the OK for a 3090, and just couldn't justify it. Sucks I gotta wait till Thursday, but whatever.

Any idea what caused your 2080Ti to bite the dust? Just curious. Hopefully your new card comes a little faster than expected and you'll enjoy it to the fullest!

Any idea what caused your 2080Ti to bite the dust? Just curious. Hopefully your new card comes a little faster than expected and you'll enjoy it to the fullest!

Likely running a custom 325w 2025MHz core and 8000MHz VRAM BIOS for the last several years. Stock voltage, had a golden sample, lol. It's always been under a custom water loop since day one, been rock solid. Last several months screen had been flickering during 3D usage, and now it just goes black and stays that way. Flashed the backed up stock BIOS back onto it and no joy. Verified it wasn't my display.
When booting, shows post and all 2D stuff no problem, but as soon as Windows login screen pops, goes black screen. I've checked cable, different panel, swapped a 2060 just to verify. Seems I just ran it too hard for too long? Ran fantastic, and I have zero complaints.

I was gonna ask the same thing. Might make a good Graphics Card Necromancy thread...

I'm pretty happy with the 6900XT I bought back in November for Way Too Much, but I'd probably go with a 3080 Ti today.

After weighing all the options, went ahead an ordered a 3080 Ti FTW3 Hydro Copper. Next steps up and down for performance weren't acceptable, especially considering price. Ended up getting the OK for a 3090, and just couldn't justify it. Sucks I gotta wait till Thursday, but whatever.

I don't have any complaints with my 3080Ti FTW and the CX48. I don't have Cyberpunk so haven't really stressed things, but Horizon Zero Dawn runs and looks real nice. I think you'll be in good shape to skip at least the 4000 series now.

I don't have any complaints with my 3080Ti FTW and the CX48. I don't have Cyberpunk so haven't really stressed things, but Horizon Zero Dawn runs and looks real nice. I think you'll be in good shape to skip at least the 4000 series now.

I have like 18hrs in Cyberpunk, and that was at launch. Haven't touched it since. Probably going to give it another go once the new card gets here.

Joining the echo chamber... I'd say unless you absolutely need 2080 ti-level performance right now, I'd recommend buying a cheaper backup used card e.g. 1080, 1080 ti and wait a few months until the 4000-series

Well sounds like you already bought the 3080 Ti, was going to say 3080 12GB would be close enough in performance, really either card would be good for 4k and which you got probably depends on pricing/deals.

I was gonna ask the same thing. Might make a good Graphics Card Necromancy thread...

I'm pretty happy with the 6900XT I bought back in November for Way Too Much, but I'd probably go with a 3080 Ti today.
Even with the $$ diff? Heavy DLSS or RT user aside.

Even with the $$ diff? Heavy DLSS or RT user aside.
The price difference now isn't that big. At the time, it was much larger.

The only game I play with any regularity, if you can call it that anymore, is DCS World, in VR. That game in particular seems to be heavily optimized to run on nvidia hardware, and while I'm not aware of any credibly scientific testing of this, the consensus is that it's better to use nvidia for that game if you can.

My own experience is that the 6900XT didn't provide anywhere near the improvement over the 2080 Ti I had before that I was expecting, although that may have something to do with the game being CPU bound. It's not very well optimized for modern CPUs either, and relies heavily on just one or two threads for most of the heavy lifting, or so it appears.

For every other game I've tried on it, the 6900XT has been great. It's very fast, and surprisingly quiet. I don't think there's a truly wrong answer to choosing between the two, as one should expect in that price range. I don't love the AMD control software, though. It's fine, but something about just seems flabby and overdone, as opposed to nvidia's mostly unobtrusive "best UI design award - 2003" control panel thingy.

Edit: I did some unscientific benchmarking before I left for Greenland with my 5900X/6900XT machine and the Threadripper 3995/3080 Ti field workstation, and the 6900XT machine scored like 30 percent higher in Timespy than the field workstation did. So, it appears that in terms of brute force compute horsepower, the 6900XT is significantly faster, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a 30 percent better gaming experience. In most games, I don't think I could tell the difference in a blind test.

I'm running 4k on a 3070 - and depending on what you're doing with it... it's fine (for now). You do have to fiddle with settings. However I play Tarkov (okay, I used to before), Squad, and others with playable frames. Not fabulous, mind you, but generally better than 60fps. For things like HZD or RDR2 it is fine.

But yeah, absolutely, 3070 is entry-level 4k. However - while I never ran a 2080ti... I don't see how it would be better. If he's got a dead card and is waiting for the 4k series; 3070 works as a placeholder.

Was planning on buying a 4000 series, but this set that plan back. So whatever I buy will hold me to whatever supercedes that
If you are going to go that route, I'd go higher end now to allow you to more comfortably skip the 4000 series.

My 3070 is holding up great.

Three monitors. two at 1080@60 and one at 144@1440.

No issues. Runs whatever game I throw at it.

I'm running 4k on a 3070 - and depending on what you're doing with it... it's fine (for now). You do have to fiddle with settings. However I play Tarkov (okay, I used to before), Squad, and others with playable frames. Not fabulous, mind you, but generally better than 60fps. For things like HZD or RDR2 it is fine.

But yeah, absolutely, 3070 is entry-level 4k. However - while I never ran a 2080ti... I don't see how it would be better. If he's got a dead card and is waiting for the 4k series; 3070 works as a placeholder.
The RTX 2080 Ti has more memory than the 3070 does. Both are what I'd consider bare minimum for decent 4K gaming and even then as you pointed out, concessions have to be made in some games. A 3080 is really what I'd consider the bare minimum card for 4K with any longevity and even then, I'd opt for a 3090 or 3080 Ti over that any day.

My 3070 is holding up great.

Three monitors. two at 1080@60 and one at 144@1440.

No issues. Runs whatever game I throw at it.
That's not anywhere near as punishing to a GPU as 4K is. The comparison really isn't valid.

If you are going to go that route, I'd go higher end now to allow you to more comfortably skip the 4000 series
Dan's suggestion is perhaps timely: in the RTX 4xxx / RX 7xxx speculation thread, there are rumors that there is an oversupply situation with AIBs, and with the Crypto crash folks are dumping high end cards that only mined for about a month... If you want to believe MooresLawIsDead - they're also saying paper-launch this fall with high-end supply becoming available Q1 2023

Link

So my 2080Ti died. I need to replace it.
Thinking of an EVGA 3080 12GB Hydro Copper. Willing to entertain better uses of my money.
Card MUST either come blocked or have aftermarket block support.
Yes, I know, terrible time for it to happen.
I play 4k on an LG CX, so HDMI 2.1 support is a must.
why not wait for the 4080?
Or why not buy a regular vid card and then install a gpu cooler?

what are used 2080ti's going for? Maybe you can find an inexpesive card to use for a year (re-use your current block), then go for a 4xxx series card, which should be a pretty decent upgrade.

I did some unscientific benchmarking before I left for Greenland with my 5900X/6900XT machine and the Threadripper 3995/3080 Ti field workstation, and the 6900XT machine scored like 30 percent higher in Timespy than the field workstation did. So, it appears that in terms of brute force compute horsepower, the 6900XT is significantly faster, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a 30 percent better gaming experience. In most games, I don't think I could tell the difference in a blind test.
I'm not informed on the way Time-spy runs its benches, but 30% is way to high of a difference for those two GPU's. System RAM differences and Zen2 Workstation vs. Zen3 High-performance mainstream arcs could play a large part maybe. Also what resolution was this run? My guess with the same platforms the two GPU's would be within 10% or less at 4K. 6900XT could unlikely but maybe do your 30% at 1080p as we know that architecture fly's at low res, but higher res it tightens quite a bit with Nvidia cards gaining at 4K.

Last edited:
what are used 2080ti's going for? Maybe you can find an inexpesive card to use for a year (re-use your current block), then go for a 4xxx series card, which should be a pretty decent upgrade.

SmartSelect_20220713-063249_Chrome.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back