2080ti 2080 Ownership Club

What monitor would you guys suggest for a dual 2080ti setup?

I'd go with a 1440P 144Hz gsync monitor. Most games don't support mGPU, so if you go 4K your going to be disappointed in quite a few situations with even a 2080ti. I've found at 1440p with a 2080ti, all games so far are playable maxed out with RT on and at a good framerate.

I'd go with a 1440P 144Hz gsync monitor. Most games don't support mGPU, so if you go 4K your going to be disappointed in quite a few situations with even a 2080ti. I've found at 1440p with a 2080ti, all games so far are playable maxed out with RT on and at a good framerate.

Minus the RTX titles I'd agree with you.

I purchased an open-box EVGA 2080Ti Black a couple of weeks ago for $850 at MC. There's also a $50 rebate but I haven't redeemed it yet. This card is just so loud when it's under load that I don't know if I want to keep it as I'm not sure the performance increase over my 1080 at 1440p is really worth the cost and noise (AC:Odyssey with the 2080ti is about 20-30fps faster than the 1080 at ultra settings (50-65fps vs 70-90 fps)). I'm toying with the idea of grabbing an NZXT G12 and Corsair H55 to cool it but it seems like too much trouble for such an expensive card.

I purchased an open-box EVGA 2080Ti Black a couple of weeks ago for $850 at MC. There's also a $50 rebate but I haven't redeemed it yet. This card is just so loud when it's under load that I don't know if I want to keep it as I'm not sure the performance increase over my 1080 at 1440p is really worth the cost and noise (AC:Odyssey with the 2080ti is about 20-30fps faster than the 1080 at ultra settings (50-65fps vs 70-90 fps)). I'm toying with the idea of grabbing an NZXT G12 and Corsair H55 to cool it but it seems like too much trouble for such an expensive card.

Pretty sure AC Odyssey is notorious for CPU bottlenecks.

The black isn’t known for being quiet. Maybe set a fan curve you can tolerate and see how bad it throttles? I had a black iirc and waterblocked it / bios mod but that was my plan from the start.

Yeah I thought it was a CPU bottleneck at first die to huge drops to 5fps every so often but I found out that my 7700k was thermal throttling so I bought a new case and a 280mm AIO which caused that to stop. Now I'm getting similar performance to the newer high end CPUs.

I might go the g12 with 120mm AIO route. The current performance is fine and it should be a lot better in future titles; I just can't stand the noise.

Yeah I thought it was a CPU bottleneck at first die to huge drops to 5fps every so often but I found out that my 7700k was thermal throttling so I bought a new case and a 280mm AIO which caused that to stop. Now I'm getting similar performance to the newer high end CPUs.

I might go the g12 with 120mm AIO route. The current performance is fine and it should be a lot better in future titles; I just can't stand the noise.

Just be careful since the 2080ti has VRMs on both sides of the GPU die. Might want to see what is normal for the side of the GPU that won’t have the AIO fan over it, if adding heatsinks or anything is required.

Just be careful since the 2080ti has VRMs on both sides of the GPU die. Might want to see what is normal for the side of the GPU that won’t have the AIO fan over it, if adding heatsinks or anything is required.
NVIDIA just uses thermal pads between the backplate and VRM. I don't know if you can replace the backplate with the G12, though. Can just add heatsink(s) if you can't.

Everything I've read so far mentions that the VRMs/VRAM actually run cooler when just exposed to air versus the stock heatsink. I ordered a pack of low-profile heatsinks just in case.

Minus the RTX titles I'd agree with you.

I guess it depends? In Metro Exodus at 2K I'm getting between 60~90 FPS with RT set to Ultra, all other settings maxed. For a single player game, that's very playable to me.

In BFV, with RT set to Ultra at 2K, I generally average 85 ~ 110 FPS, with dips into the 60's when its raining. Not "ideal" maybe for competitive play, but I'm not looking to be a try hard, I just enjoy great graphics. I don't feel it has limited me as that game is generally squad and team focused.

Now Control was the game that takes a 2080Ti to its knees. At 2K, I average maybe 60~ 70 FPS, but sometimes it dips all the way down to 48 FPS! With gsync, I still found this very much playable considering the game, but that would be unacceptable for an FPS. However, that was not using DLSS. While I was not a fan of it and left it disabled, enabling it did raise me to over 80FPS. So there is that option for some people. But I'm a whore for graphics and prefer crisp textures.

Personally, I enjoy the technology and being on the front of something new. It's an enjoyable hobby for me.

I guess it depends? In Metro Exodus at 2K I'm getting between 60~90 FPS with RT set to Ultra, all other settings maxed. For a single player game, that's very playable to me.

In BFV, with RT set to Ultra at 2K, I generally average 85 ~ 110 FPS, with dips into the 60's when its raining. Not "ideal" maybe for competitive play, but I'm not looking to be a try hard, I just enjoy great graphics. I don't feel it has limited me as that game is generally squad and team focused.

Now Control was the game that takes a 2080Ti to its knees. At 2K, I average maybe 60~ 70 FPS, but sometimes it dips all the way down to 48 FPS! With gsync, I still found this very much playable considering the game, but that would be unacceptable for an FPS. However, that was not using DLSS. While I was not a fan of it and left it disabled, enabling it did raise me to over 80FPS. So there is that option for some people. But I'm a whore for graphics and prefer crisp textures.

Personally, I enjoy the technology and being on the front of something new. It's an enjoyable hobby for me.

Don't worry no one wants to be a "try hard" in those kind of games. They want to just casually suck and call everyone else "try hards" when they lose.

Don't worry no one wants to be a "try hard" in those kind of games. They want to just casually suck and call everyone else "try hards" when they lose.
Not sure why the hostility, but the general point is you have casual gamers and competitive gamers. Generally a competitive gamer will lower settings to achieve a maximum refresh rate and less graphical distractions for an advantage in game, while casual gamers may accept a lower FPS for full visuals.

So my point if you missed it was, those FPS are more than acceptable for most casual gamers. A competitive gamer would likely not accept such FPS in a competitive game (more less run with those graphical settings).

Not sure why the hostility, but the general point is you have casual gamers and competitive gamers. Generally a competitive gamer will lower settings to achieve a maximum refresh rate and less graphical distractions for an advantage in game, while casual gamers may accept a lower FPS for full visuals.

So my point if you missed it was, those FPS are more than acceptable for most casual gamers. A competitive gamer would likely not accept such FPS in a competitive game (more less run with those graphical settings).

The hostility is because typically the only people using "try hard" are either morons or trolls.

The hostility is because typically the only people using "try hard" are either morons or trolls.

I'd agree that using the term 'try hard' reaches a level of 'otherizing' that could reasonably be offensive -- I hope that we can let it go and move on. I have my own definition of the term that to me is perhaps even more offensive depending on how others identify, so ;).

those FPS are more than acceptable for most casual gamers

This I agree with. Essentially ~45FPS+, meaning frametimes of no more than 22ms (1000ms / 45FPS) is perfectly playable for slow- and medium- paced games, of which Battlefield games may fall in to depending on playstyle.

A competitive gamer would likely not accept such FPS in a competitive game (more less run with those graphical settings).

Agreed. For BF4 on my 8700K / GTX970 system, settings are almost completely buried in order to hit ~90FPS average on a 1440p monitor with G-Sync. It plays really, really well, and for its purpose I could give a rats about visuals.

I've got the exact same card, with an aggressive fan curve on top of it (only increased power limit to 112%, no manual OC'ing), and I can confirm, this is just a noisy card, much more so then the 1080 I replaced it with.

I wouldn't say it necessarily bothers me, if I'm gaming I have headphones on, or my audio setup at a higher volume for something non-competitive. It get's drowned out easily, but it is certainly noticeable during a cut scene/dialogue sequence.

I've toyed with the idea of finding a block (it'd be my first custom loop), or going with a hybrid cooler of sorts as well... but am having a hard time convincing myself it's really worth it to do it. It's my understanding these cards just run hot, period, not even sure spending (at the time) another 3-400 more for a "better" 2080Ti would have been the way to go regarding the fan noise.

I did the same upgrade and cannot hear the 2080ti black with auto fans (afterburner). My H115i is louder but that barely makes a sound on balanced.

Are you using the stock curve or an aggressive one?

In my case (Corsair 540) the card maxes at 74º during gaming with auto fan curve and it isn't audible over the case fans.

I looked at an AIO (did it on my 680ti and 980ti) for it but since we are limited on max % of power the cost didn't justify the mod. Maybe if EVGA does another sale on their AIO I will do it.

Anyone know the power limit on these cards?
EVGA RTX 2080Super XC Ultra
EVGA RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra
And lastly > Asus STRIX 2080 Super ?
I was told the eVGA 2080Ti Black was 112%, but finding this data on other cards isn't so easy. Any help would be great,thanks ! Trying to decide on one of these three

I was told the eVGA 2080Ti Black was 112%, but finding this data on other cards isn't so easy. Any help would be great,thanks ! Trying to decide on one of these three

It’s not even that easy. You’d need to know both the base power and the max %. Not all start at the same base.

Overclockers usually has the best data https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-...-2080-super-owner-s-club.html#/topics/1706274

You may be able to find the actual wattage in the BIOS files. Techpowerup is a good place to start! This link is for the 2080Ti FTW3 collection, but you can change what your looking for easily.
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...face=PCI-E&memType=GDDR6&memSize=11264&since=

Alright here it is: EVGA 2080Ti Black w/ NZXT G12 + Corsair H55. OC'd to +125 Core and +600 Mem it's about 10C cooler than the stock cooler was at stock settings. Much much quieter also. I kind of hoped it would be even cooler than that but it may be my fan config as my ITX system has a 280mm AIO intake with exhaust from the H55 and top 120mm fan. More incoming cool air may help so I may try flipping the top exhaust to intake just to see if it helps.

I had small heatsinks on the VRAM but the included thermal tape gave up before the system had even turned on so I removed them. Temps seem to be fine without them so I may just leave it as it is. The backplate doesn't mount without the stock heatsink but it seems to hold pretty well with the old thermal pads.

With power connectors on the side of the card it may be a PITA to get them off as the bracket sticks out and covers the locking tab.

With the OC it's boosting to 2025 Mhz. I tried higher settings and was able to get boost up to 2075 with similar temps but performance didn't seem to improve so I dialed it back down to the stated +125. There may be more in it but I'm feeling pretty lazy after faffing with a $1k GPU.

Forgive my photo skills.

Last edited:
Forgive my photo skills.

Bored amateur photographer using the built-in Photos app -- added a lot of warmth, adjusted tint, contrast, and shadows...

b4zqhfS - Imgur.jpg

Got it for a little over $900. Waterblocked and ready to go. I forgot to take a picture yesterday of the rest of the plumbing. First time wc'in too.

Attachments

• DSC_0028_3.JPG
    DSC_0028_3.JPG
    332.2 KB · Views: 0
Picked up a evga b stock xc ultra. Basically, a hold-over card until the next thing comes out from either company that has hdmi 2.1 support. Probably sell it at that point or use it in another system.

Radeon 7 going up on ebay soon. Been a good card, but I want something a little faster and now that my TV supports gsync..

Well, that joy was short-lived.

Uninstalled the AMD driver, rebooted into safe mode, and ran DDU. Installed the new b-stock Evga card and booted the system. Installed the latest 441 game ready Nvidia driver.

Completely unstable. No games work. After the initial install, division 2 loaded OK and I played for a few minutes then the game crashed. After that, can't get it to launch again. Dies on the loading screen at 10-13% every time with a soft-lockup. Tried FarCry 5, also crashes on launch every time. For FarCry I get a messed up screen with gibberish all over it and a soft-lock. System properties show nvidia driver crashes.

Removed the driver, rebooted and did a DDU. Let Windows install it's own driver. Same result.

Looks like evga sent me a defective card.

I briefly considered picking up a 2080ti from best buy today instead and returning the b stock for a refund. 15% restock fee pretty much blew that out of the water. Definitely screwed this weekend, games are off the table unless I reinstall my radeon 7 which is not worth the hassle at this point.

It was the card. I got a new one from BB and the problem was immediately resolved.

B stock went back for a refund. Asked to have the restock waived. Well see. Should test bad and in that case they won't require a restock fee.

Back