2080ti 2080 Ownership Club

Replaced my Strix 1080ti with a Strix 2080ti over the weekend. Really liking it so far - seems to be a very well built card.

I do have 1 area of concern though, and that's with the temps. One of the things I really liked about my 1080ti Strix was the temps. That thing never got hot, and that's 1 of the reasons I stuck with Strix this time around. However, even at stock clocks, I'm pretty easily hitting 70C+ on this card. With a small core OC, I'll easily hit mid 70s while playing something like Shadow of the Tomb Raider. And this is with a pretty aggressive fan profile.

I guess I'm wondering, is it warm enough to look into exchanging the card? Or are these temps nothing to worry about and just a bit warmer than normal? Still trying to get a feel for where temps should sit with these cards.

Other than that, loving it so far. SotTR looks amazing with everything, including ray tracing, cranked up to the max.
I'd say you're doing pretty good if you're only hitting the 70s with an air cooler. My 2080 Ti came with a water jacket from the factory, and it hits 60 pretty easily. The water cooled 1080 Ti that preceded it ran 15-20 degrees cooler.

Replaced my Strix 1080ti with a Strix 2080ti over the weekend. Really liking it so far - seems to be a very well built card.

I do have 1 area of concern though, and that's with the temps. One of the things I really liked about my 1080ti Strix was the temps. That thing never got hot, and that's 1 of the reasons I stuck with Strix this time around. However, even at stock clocks, I'm pretty easily hitting 70C+ on this card. With a small core OC, I'll easily hit mid 70s while playing something like Shadow of the Tomb Raider. And this is with a pretty aggressive fan profile.

I guess I'm wondering, is it warm enough to look into exchanging the card? Or are these temps nothing to worry about and just a bit warmer than normal? Still trying to get a feel for where temps should sit with these cards.

Other than that, loving it so far. SotTR looks amazing with everything, including ray tracing, cranked up to the max.
ASUS are bad with their TIM application last I checked. Could be worth it to crack it open and reapply paste. Don't expect any major change in temps, though. These cards just run hotter than Pascal as a fact of life.

My card never goes over 64C while gaming and that is with the stock overclock that my 2080Ti Xtreme came with. Not sure yours is getting hot enough to warrant an exchange.

Thanks for the input guys. Most of the reviews I read about the Strix made it sound like it would rarely, if ever, reach 70C during normal use. So when I was hitting 75+ on the first day, I was a bit concerned. It's not causing any issues exactly, other than knocking my core speed down as it heats up, and causing more noise as the fans try and cool it down. I'll keep an eye on it, see how it does.

Thanks for the input guys. Most of the reviews I read about the Strix made it sound like it would rarely, if ever, reach 70C during normal use. So when I was hitting 75+ on the first day, I was a bit concerned. It's not causing any issues exactly, other than knocking my core speed down as it heats up, and causing more noise as the fans try and cool it down. I'll keep an eye on it, see how it does.
Most reviews are done in an open air test bench. I would assume you're using this in an enclosed case, correct?

Most reviews are done in an open air test bench. I would assume you're using this in an enclosed case, correct?

Yeah, using a Corsair 780T full tower case. Big case, lots of room and fans, but still enclosed. I may take the side panel off this weekend and turn a fan on to see what kind of difference it makes.

Yeah, using a Corsair 780T full tower case. Big case, lots of room and fans, but still enclosed. I may take the side panel off this weekend and turn a fan on to see what kind of difference it makes.

That happens to be my case. It does have a lot of room and air flow. I'd be curious of your results also.

Replaced my Vega FE with an Asus Turbo 2080ti (thanks to catching an $800 eBay listing) and it has Samsung memory, so I think I really lucked out.

Definitely feeling excited to pick up Ryzen 3700X (or a 3600 if reviews reveal it's the $/perf hero I think it might be) and complete my upgrade from my trusty, but showing its age 3770K.

Also, got Freesync working with my Viotek 3440x1440 and this has just been a solid win so far.

Sorry, should have specified air cooled.

Figured as much, heh. :)

Still, they are mighty quiet, not to mention cool. I never see GPU temps above 32C. Does wonders for keeping throttling at bay and allowing for full overclocking potential.

Last edited:
With evidence of bad ddr6 ram and firtst gen. Gonna wait till second refresh when manufacturing gets better with ddr6 and rtx woes. I have 2 gtx 1080tis Evga ftw. I have always waited for second refresh before upgrading. Seems this gen is riskier crap shoot.

Just youtube it. Seems problems with ddr6 and high failure rate in a few months. From experience I always wait second gen of any new technology. Seems dont want to risk money on rtx 2080ti and having a dud. Plus price still outta whack here in Canada.

Just youtube it. Seems problems with ddr6 and high failure rate in a few months. From experience I always wait second gen of any new technology. Seems dont want to risk money on rtx 2080ti and having a dud. Plus price still outta whack here in Canada.

Loony wont be going back up to par for years, if ever.

You provided the claim, so you need to provide the evidence. I have seen nothing that points definitively to the memory modules themselves being the cause of failure despite the numerous videos and articles trying to show causation by the temperature of the surrounding components. Anecdotally, my launch 2080 Ti FE still works perfectly fine going on 10 months later.

Gotta bump this thread up, I ordered my 2080Ti this last Thursday and I couldn't be more excited!

I plunked down "big money" for my 1080 a couple weeks after release 3+ years ago back in May 2016 (honestly, my first truly expensive GFX card, I'm not as old as some of ya'll :D) and said I'd sit an wait for the next Ti before upgrading... (wanted to get on the Ti train and then only upgrade to those from here on out), then along came the generational price hikes everyone loves/loved to complain about.... and I swore I wouldn't upgrade this gen... then the 2080S got my hopes up, only to not wow me like I thought it might (still lacking around 20-25%). So I started browsing the 2080S's, and seeing $750-$800, no way for a 30-35% improvement. So, window shopping for a 2080 Ti it is...

Low and behold, found a EVGA 2080 Ti Black Edition for $1080 on NewEgg... Ironic, no? lol.

I'm just so excited for it, had to post, Thursday can't come soon enough! :D

Last edited:
I just joined the club, got my 2080 Strix O8G this morning. Found one $100 cheaper than the newer Super version, and with this OC, should be within 2-3%. Coming from a 980ti, so far I'm pretty happy.

Honestly if it wasn't for DOOM Eternal coming out in November, I probably would have just waited until Ampere.

I'm a bit late on my follow up post, but man, this card SLAYS. Idk what else to say about it. 1440P @ 144hz, this card just plain wrecks.

Pics!

20190801_195154.jpg

20190812_195028.jpg

20190812_195441.jpg

Quick pic of the current setup:

20190812_195013.jpg

Just next door is retro gaming goodness I'll post elsewhere :D Best of the new and best of the old.

I'm a bit late to the party, but I picked up an EVGA XC Ultra 2080 Ti and paired it with a new AW3418DW. Man, 3440 x 1440 @ consistent 110 FPS really is the dream. I have 0 buyer's remorse, but I do have some things I gotta sell....it was an expensive day.

I'm a bit late to the party, but I picked up an EVGA XC Ultra 2080 Ti and paired it with a new AW3418DW. Man, 3440 x 1440 @ consistent 110 FPS really is the dream. I have 0 buyer's remorse, but I do have some things I gotta sell....it was an expensive day.

excited? what did you have previously before the 2080 Ti?

Awesome, trick_m0nkey , the 2080 Ti is a beast of a card.

I'm also on ultrawide, 1080p actually so I could run ray-tracing with better framerates. It's a nice kit.

I manage good FPS with it at 3440x1440 with RT.

I love ultra wide. It’s 5MP instead of the 8MP with 4k so it’s way easier to drive. The 2080ti fits perfectly with it and I have zero need for additional vertical height.

Yeah, if I was shopping again I would buy the Alienware.

In my case I was running 7680x1440 for about 4 years and I couldn't take the struggle anymore. Maybe I went too far back, but I'm content now.

Also, for older games I've been running DSR 5K ultrawide (5120x2160) and honestly it looks great.

I like having the flexibility for gaming, though I admit 1080p is cramped for working on the desktop.

I'll probably wait until there is a nice HDR ultrawide available, I'm in no rush.

Yeah, if I was shopping again I would buy the Alienware.

In my case I was running 7680x1440 for about 4 years and I couldn't take the struggle anymore. Maybe I went too far back, but I'm content now.

Also, for older games I've been running DSR 5K ultrawide (5120x2160) and honestly it looks great.

I like having the flexibility for gaming, though I admit 1080p is cramped for working on the desktop.

I'll probably wait until there is a nice HDR ultrawide available, I'm in no rush.

Yeah DSR is a great tool. I always wanted UW but never wanted the bezels or issues of three monitors so when 21:9 came out I couldn’t help myself.

My dream monitor right now is the X35. Pretty sure my wife would castrate me though. Maybe if it ever hits $1k. I rarely get to use my main rig anyways as it is taken by others... I game on my 4k tv most of the time anymore.

Picked up 2 msi ventus 2080ti with aquacomputer waterblocks - though I'm happy, wish i would've picked up a reference blower style card.

Probably the first time I've heard that one. Blowers aren't great at the 2080ti's TDP...

Just upgraded to a MSI Gaming X Trio 2080Ti. Mon..Mon...Mon...Monster kill! This thing is ginormous! Hitting 2025 mhz on boost, but normally settles at 1980 mhz range. It took me 4 hours getting everything moved over to the new Thermaltake Full Tower All tempered glass case. Heavy case for sure. Post pictures later, too busy enjoying it. :p

I've had a 2080 Ti FE for awhile now, and was using it to game on a 27 inch 1440p 165hz monitor. Well, stupid me decided to upgrade it to the Asus PG27UQ 4k 144hz monitor a few weeks back and I noticed a few games were struggling to maintain decent frames at max settings. So how do I decide to solve this? By paying $1000 for a second, used 2080 Ti FE off ebay, and an NVLink off Amazon. Looks like sometime this week I'll have dual 2080 Ti's.

Depending on performance numbers, I'll probably either resell it, or do it proper and get them both under water. I'll share by numbers once I get the cards tested and compare them with newer games.

Back