2080ti 2080 Ownership Club

I'm getting frequent crashing in Far Cry 5. I though it was a bad card, but I took that one out of the machine and using just the second now.

For several days there were no problems at all, and I started an RMA with Nvidia for what I thought was the bad card. Now I am getting FC5 crashing about 5 minutes into playing (sometimes it will crash immediately after loading the level, sometimes 20 minutes later).

All the other stuff I've tried seems stable: Heaven, Superposition, 3dmark, older games like L4D, etc. Might be a Far Cry issue or Nvidia driver issue. The strange part is that it's been working fine for a week and I made no changes to the system.

Luckily, I have not seen a blue screen since I removed the first card, so that is good. Guess I'll still complete the RMA with Nvidia (they might have sent the replacement already) but I'm not feeling confidant anymore.

I'm getting frequent crashing in Far Cry 5. I though it was a bad card, but I took that one out of the machine and using just the second now.

For several days there were no problems at all, and I started an RMA with Nvidia for what I thought was the bad card. Now I am getting FC5 crashing about 5 minutes into playing (sometimes it will crash immediately after loading the level, sometimes 20 minutes later).

All the other stuff I've tried seems stable: Heaven, Superposition, 3dmark, older games like L4D, etc. Might be a Far Cry issue or Nvidia driver issue. The strange part is that it's been working fine for a week and I made no changes to the system.

Luckily, I have not seen a blue screen since I removed the first card, so that is good. Guess I'll still complete the RMA with Nvidia (they might have sent the replacement already) but I'm not feeling confidant anymore.

I remembered having a weird issue where my GTX 1070 Gaming Z would crash suddenly without warning after using it for couple of months, first I thought it was my GPU (swapped back to my GTX 680 and there wasn't any issue) until another [H] member convince me to switch out my PSU, did just that and the problem was gone. Like you, I have a Corsair PSU (HX 750)that I end up having to RMA while using a cheapo EVGA PSU, not saying that may be your case but have you done a PSU swap to see if it is power issue?

I’ve been hearing people confirming PSU issues with the 2080Tis. One was confirming with Corsair digital CPUs, they MUST be set to single-rail mode.

Why they would put multiple rails on a PSU is crazy and beyond me. When I found out that was a thing I bought EVGA single rail PSUs years ago.

Multiple rails allows better over-protection current limits (safety) per rail, but yeah single rail is my choice also.

This card is capable of using a lot of power. If I set my power slider to 124% and run with stock settings it will regularly hit that number according to logs. So I wouldn’t be surprised this card is exposing a lot of PSU’s that people thought were good enough.

Multiple rails allows better over-protection current limits (safety) per rail, but yeah single rail is my choice also.

They can do that per a plug and also on a single rail if they wanted.

I wonder if half these people are splitting the GPU between two rails. I couldn’t imagine that ending well.

This card is capable of using a lot of power. If I set my power slider to 124% and run with stock settings it will regularly hit that number according to logs. So I wouldn’t be surprised this card is exposing a lot of PSU’s that people thought were good enough.
Not surprising, as the card will use as much power as you let it. Seeing the card uses around 270W when gaming, another 24% on top of that would be an additional 65W for 335W total. Could be an issue if the load balancing is overprovisioning the PCI-E cables and the power supply isn't ready for it. Remember the specific power requirements for the R9 295X2. It used around 430W and ran on just two 8-pin PCI-E cables.

Got my EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA on Monday need one more.

2.jpg

Biggest problem I have with SLI at this point is that it doesn't even work in the games that I feel need it the most, and the games that it does work in already run good enough at 4k on a single 2080ti that I just don't see the point.

Biggest problem I have with SLI at this point is that it doesn't even work in the games that I feel need it the most, and the games that it does work in already run good enough at 4k on a single 2080ti that I just don't see the point.

With current games, I'd agree. As I stated in a previous post, after testing a few games which support SLI on this gen, I'm pretty much CPU limited @ 1440p. And 4k can make a difference, but close to 60 fps (which is where my TV cuts off at) or a rock solid 60 fps, I can agree that it's not worth $1200 more.

But why I went SLI is that games with ray tracing are going to hopefully benefit. This generation of cards is obviously not going to be able to run games with ray tracing at an acceptable level with a single card, and that's with a TI. Hopefully SLI here will allow games with ray tracing to run at 60 fps @ 1440p though.

Oh, and people who do scientific tasks that aren't gaming related.

Guess I was one of the unlucky ones. My 2080Ti FE started artifacting and caused a blue screen in the middle of playing some Kingdom Come Deliverance. After that the card wouldn't even work properly. Nvidia Control Panel was inaccessible, Windows couldn't even detect the card correctly and was stuck running at a low resolution. Trying to increase the resolution just caused the artifacts to show up again, even while just on the desktop.

I have a RMA processing, hoping I don't have as bad luck as some of you that had to put in multiple RMAs. Eventually I'd like to put a waterblock on it, but not after making sure it's running stable for a good while.

I’ve been hearing people confirming PSU issues with the 2080Tis. One was confirming with Corsair digital CPUs, they MUST be set to single-rail mode.
Yes, I saw that Reddit thread as well (I think the poster had the same PSU as me). I did try it in single-rail mode and I thought it helped, but maybe not (I never trust these "home remedies").

I have it now back in multi-rail mode but I would consider it could be a PSU issue. Replacing the PSU will be annoying to rewire everything, but I'll do more testing to see if I can narrow down that the PSU is even the issue.

Luckily, I have not seen a blue screen since I removed the first card, so that is good.
I spoke too soon. Went into BIOS and switched RAM speed from 4133 to 2133 to see if it would help, now I can't even get into Windows. :(

I saw 4 blue screens back to back, with different errors each time. It said something about not being able to verify the signature on OS files, leading me to think it may be a RAM or SSD problem.

I don't see how a video card could affect loading on Windows files, but it's strange that everything was rock solid before getting these new Nvidia cards. Unless something else failed coincidentally at the same time... or I botched the upgrade.

So I removed the Ti card and booted with integrated graphics, still blue screened right on Windows login.

I updated BIOS and now I was able to get in Windows, everything seems to be working for the past 30 minutes. Running some tests.

Last edited:
So I ran chkdsk, Repair-Volume, and CrystalDiskInfo. Everything looked good.

Ran Windows 10 memory check, no problems.

Ran Avast and MalwareBytes, no viruses.

Have Heaven running on loop for 5 minutes so far, looking fine.

Will run memtest86 overnight and see if anything comes up.

But you may be right, the PSU may be the issue.

I spoke too soon. Went into BIOS and switched RAM speed from 4133 to 2133 to see if it would help, now I can't even get into Windows. :(

I saw 4 blue screens back to back, with different errors each time. It said something about not being able to verify the signature on OS files, leading me to think it may be a RAM or SSD problem.

I don't see how a video card could affect loading on Windows files, but it's strange that everything was rock solid before getting these new Nvidia cards. Unless something else failed coincidentally at the same time... or I botched the upgrade.

Was this all in multi rail mode? I am confused why you would switch back off single rail.

Dang- wonder when their hybrid coolers are coming out. I know that MSI has announced theirs, but none have made it to the 'Egg yet.

Dang- wonder when their hybrid coolers are coming out. I know that MSI has announced theirs, but none have made it to the 'Egg yet.
Jacob said October, originally. His latest update was simply "soon." When he said that about the Titan X hybrid cooler it was another 4 months before it came out.

The 380W GALAX bios I flashed my card with just about got rid of all of my power limit throttling... at least in rasterized gaming ;)

So that’s a good power level imo.

I must have missed it..who made your card? I'm thinking of flashing my XC Ultra to this BIOS.

My card was an Asus Dual. Basically what I could grab at the time.

Roger that, thank you. I'm dialed in at about +120 +700 and hitting 2085/2100 but am hitting power limit. Wonder if this might solve my problems

Roger that, thank you. I'm dialed in at about +120 +700 and hitting 2085/2100 but am hitting power limit. Wonder if this might solve my problems

For Timespy it fixed it 95% of the time for me. For gaming 100% of the time. Timespy seems to be a worst case compared to my games.

I shunt modded it after the bios mod and my Timespy score didn’t change at all score wise so the GALAX mod got me there.

The intructions for Maxwell/Pascal bios flash worked great for me. I just googled it after I got the utility and bios off of overclockers.

Last edited:
For Timespy it fixed it 95% of the time for me. For gaming 100% of the time. Timespy seems to be a worst case compared to my games.

I shunt modded it after the bios mod and my Timespy score didn’t change at all so score wise the GALAX mod got me there.

The intructions for Maxwell/Pascal bios flash worked great for me. I just googled it after I got the utility and bios off of overclockers.

That's great to hear....I'm really only concerned at this point with gaming. I'll check OC to find the utility and bios.

Was this all in multi rail mode? I am confused why you would switch back off single rail.
Yes, this was happening in multi-rail mode. I tried single and maybe it was better, but the machine was still not 100% stable and I was getting issues with the PC not waking up from sleep and I was trying to test if it would help.

To continue the testing, I ran Heaven on loop for 1 hour with the iGPU, then I ran memtest86 for 20 hours and it completed 10 passes with no error. I'm running IntelBurnTest now, the first few passes have been successful.

I also bought a new PSU, from EVGA, if I can't get it working by the time it delivers, I will swap it out.

Happy to report RTX 2080 ti card has been good. Asus Dual Fan version. I decided to keep it and use it as it still fits with my black/white case motif despite it being a 2.7 slot beast. Gaming wise today, I put in some far cry 5 for a few hours with no hiccups. Using 416.34 driver set.

This has been a nightmare.

Eventually got things working okay with one card and decided to try SLI again to see if the settings made any difference. Of course, not even 30 seconds into Far Cry 5 I get a blue screen. Tried it again and another crash.

So I removed the bad card, then the "good" card would not respond at all. Not even the BIOS screen would show, complete black screen. Rebooted multiple times, nothing would show on the screen (tried HDMI and DisplayPort with 2 different monitors).

So I swapped the cards. The bad card got me into Windows, did a DDU reinstall, swapped the cards again and now back in Windows.

Started playing FC5 and played for like 20 minutes, and then it crashed. Maybe this game is bunk. Benchmarks like Superposition and Heaven are working no problem.

At this point I'm wondering if both cards are bad. Or it could be the power supply. I bought an EVGA 1000W, I might have to try that.

Back