2080S + CPU or 2080 Ti?

MavericK

Zero Cool
If I'm going to spend ~$1000-1500 on upgrades, and I'm running a 4790K at 4.6 GHz, would I be better suited getting a 9900KF and a 2080 Super, or just going for the 2080 Ti alone? Pretty much all for gaming, 1440p but may go 4K in the future.

4K is more GPU bound, 1440p is more CPU bound. A CPU upgrade might be better at 1440p if you are trying to hit 120-144hz. If you're only focusing on 60fps, then the 2080 Ti is a bigger upgrade once you turn on more graphical details like DSR.

Originally I'd say 2080TI, but if you're sensitive to frame drops, a 9900KF will help out. It's not mindblowing but definitely noticeable. Moved my main gaming system from a 4770K at 4.2-4.3 to a 3700X at stock.

I had a 2080ti running on a 4790K for about a week, until I got my 9700K. I run at 1440p, and the difference (Witcher3 and AC Origins) is not particularly noticeable, I did not see any weird framedrops on my 4790K, just slightly lower fps.

4K is more GPU bound, 1440p is more CPU bound. A CPU upgrade might be better at 1440p if you are trying to hit 120-144hz. If you're only focusing on 60fps, then the 2080 Ti is a bigger upgrade once you turn on more graphical details like DSR.

A faster GPU upgrade is still going to be faster than a CPU upgrade at 1440P. It's not like the RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti will be the same speed at 1440P.

Some good things to ponder, doesn't seem to be a consensus. Main reason for upgrading would be stuff like Cyberpunk coming out early next year, but also looking to upgrade before the end of the year. Would like to run with ultra detail on games if possible, I just am not sure how much of a bottleneck my CPU would be.

A faster GPU upgrade is still going to be faster than a CPU upgrade at 1440P. It's not like the RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti will be the same speed at 1440P.

Only in average fps. The minimum fps can be as much as 30% faster with a 9900k over a 4790k. Whereas the increase in minimums between 2080 S and 2080 Ti is much lower, more like 15%. Obviously if you don't play CPU intensive games or don't care about framerate spikes then go 2080 Ti and a slower CPU.

If I'm going to spend ~$1000-1500 on upgrades, and I'm running a 4790K at 4.6 GHz, would I be better suited getting a 9900KF and a 2080 Super, or just going for the 2080 Ti alone? Pretty much all for gaming, 1440p but may go 4K in the future.
Honestly you are not going to see any real noticeable gains in games with either upgrade. Right now upgrading an Intel CPU is a wash for games more or less. Going from a 1080 to a 2080 is not justified because of costs.
You'd be better off investing in other things, or even better, holding off.

Honestly you are not going to see any real noticeable gains in games with either upgrade. Right now upgrading an Intel CPU is a wash for games more or less. Going from a 1080 to a 2080 is not justified because of costs.
You'd be better off investing in other things, or even better, holding off.

Possibly, but I don't see my current rig cutting it for Cyberpunk on Max detail and I don't think we're going to see new GPUs before then.

I had a 2080ti running on a 4790K for about a week, until I got my 9700K. I run at 1440p, and the difference (Witcher3 and AC Origins) is not particularly noticeable, I did not see any weird framedrops on my 4790K, just slightly lower fps.
Even with just a 1080 Ti there are parts of some games where the framerate difference is MASSIVE. And I know for a fact that Origins cannot always maintain 60 fps with a 4790k and will fully peg it.

Here is an even worse case scenario for Watch Dogs 2 where the framerate is TWICE as high.

my oced 4770k with 1080 ti

Watch-Dogs2-2018-06-26-19-33-49-170.png

my stock 9900k with 1080 ti

Watch-Dogs2-2019-07-23-22-53-19-146.png

Last edited:
Worrying about a game that will not be out for nearly a year is silly.

If it's the only game I really care about in the next year, I guess I don't find it all that silly. *shrug*

I also doubt we will see too much more in terms of GPUs coming out, so what we have now is probably what we're likely to have at that time as well.

If it's the only game I really care about in the next year, I guess I don't find it all that silly. *shrug*

I also doubt we will see too much more in terms of GPUs coming out, so what we have now is probably what we're likely to have at that time as well.
If it's the only game you really care about coming out next year then it makes worrying about upgrading right now even more silly. And yes we absolutely will have some new gpus within a year.

2080Ti plus 9700K would be the better options.
For as long as he will likely keep the CPU getting just 8 core/ 8 threads would be a very stupid long-term move. We have games right now today that are going well over 50% CPU usage on my 9900 KF with a 1080 TI and he is going to be using an even faster GPU. And the consoles will be 8-core 16 threads next year so bet your rear end that within a year after the consoles come out that you will need more than 8 threads to push top end gpus.

I would buy the RTX 2080Super first then CPU/mobo/ram later on. IMO the 9900KF isn' the besrt choice for gaming price/performace wise.

But seeing that you already have a GTX 1080, you might want to wait and see what does 2020 brings.

Even with just a 1080 Ti there are parts of some games where the framerate difference is MASSIVE. And I know for a fact that Origins cannot always maintain 60 fps with a 4790k and will fully peg it.

Here is an even worse case scenario for Watch Dogs 2 where the framerate is TWICE as high.

my oced 4770k with 1080 ti

View attachment 178726

my stock 9900k with 1080 ti

View attachment 178727

If the 4770k is OC'd why does it say 4300 mhz?

If it's the only game you really care about coming out next year then it makes worrying about upgrading right now even more silly. And yes we absolutely will have some new gpus within a year.

A lot of this. The only thing worth buying right now is RAM. Nothing else is of particularly good value that it is a must get right now, better to save the money and get things when prices inevitably drop next year. It's not like you can't upgrade a computer after the game has come out.

Reactions: otg
like this
A lot of this. The only thing worth buying right now is RAM. Nothing else is of particularly good value that it is a must get right now, better to save the money and get things when prices inevitably drop next year. It's not like you can't upgrade a computer after the game has come out.

Yeah, I guess my motivation was mainly the budget allowing for it now versus in a year when it may not. May just have to put some money aside and then wait and see what happens, not sure yet.

Almost as your worthless posts telling the OP not to worry about a game he said he specifically cares about.
So it's clear you have nothing halfway intelligent to say at all and are just here to troll. Knock yourself out with the last reply as I'm sure it will be as useless as everything else you said so far.

So it's clear you have nothing halfway intelligent to say at all and are just here to troll. Knock yourself out with the last reply as I'm sure it will be as useless as everything else you said so far.

Eh I just think you're cherry picking a bit by picking those 2 games and comparing them with a weakly OC'd 4770k.

As for the OP I agree to just hold out a bit longer. Buy around when Cyberpunk is going to be released, you have a pretty damn good PC right now.

2077 is my most wanted game as well,but I also know based on past exp, its better to wait till the game's been out for a week ,then see what our brothers on here who have strong rigs,own the game and are playing it at 1440p / 4k on high ,very high and Overkill have to say about performance of the newer Red engine under the hood. I plan to build a whole new PC for 2077 in April/Early May,like I did for Crysis in 07 and Morrowind in 2002. Wait till Cyberpunk 2077 is out...then buy the best PC hardware you can afford. Why get a 2080Ti now for 999$ from eVGA,only to see a RTX3080 launch thats 899 and 20% faster in March of 2020? GL.

Only in average fps. The minimum fps can be as much as 30% faster with a 9900k over a 4790k. Whereas the increase in minimums between 2080 S and 2080 Ti is much lower, more like 15%. Obviously if you don't play CPU intensive games or don't care about framerate spikes then go 2080 Ti and a slower CPU.

Fair enough. The biggest issue, I have is that at 4K, you need all the power you can get. Now, that does include both CPU and GPU, but if you have to do only one or the other, GPU all day as far as I'm concerned. The OP specifically mentions an interesting in going to a 4K display. I've been on 4K for years and its way more demanding than 2560x1440 or even 3440x1440. At 4K, the RTX 2080 Super is the minimum standard I'd advocate for that. I've done plenty of CPU testing lately, and I know full well how broad the difference between CPU's can be. But an RTX 2080 Super, while better than the RTX 2080 and 1080 Ti's, simply doesn't have enough power for 4K. I'd argue that the RTX 2080 Ti is just getting to the point where we can comfortably game at 4K. Even then, there are some titles where fully maxing the details won't be possible while maintaining good frame rates.

Honestly, if the OP is really considering going to 4K, he needs a CPU and a GPU upgrade. That GPU should be an RTX 2080 Ti. With the CPU, he's got some more breathing room for choice, but I think the investment needs to be made. I've done 4K testing on a bunch of CPU's lately, and your right, there is a massive difference between a Haswell CPU or something like a 1st or 2nd Generation Ryzen at 4K and say a 3rd Generation Ryzen or a Core i7 9700K or i9 9900K/KF. It really impacts the gaming experience. I know full well from dealing with this in my own system.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. At this point I will probably just wait and hope that the budget supports an upgrade early next year, hopefully we will see some newer hardware and/or price drops by then.

I agree with what Dan_D said regarding needing a minimum of 2080 Ti + fast CPU at 4k. However, if anyone is a serious gamer (e.g. plays games 2-3 hrs a day), I would suggest not going above 1080p for at least another 3-4 years unless you are rich and can afford top of the line CPU/GPU upgrades each time they're released. New generation consoles are coming which will raise the bar on graphics even more which will put 4K out of reach once again for many people, including 2080 Ti owners so its a constant game of upgrade you're playing just to maintain decent framerates. At 1080p, you don't need to keep tossing money at a blackhole and can use that extra $500+ you save on other meaningful upgrades to your PC or other hobbies and you will get the same or better FPS than the schmuck who has a $5000+ PC at 4K.

Yeah, I don't see going beyond 1440p any time too soon, though I have considered going ultrawide so that would be a bit of a bump needed.

FWIW, I just pulled the trigger on a 2080 non super. The prices on the super cards are still at a premium, and the non super cards can be found with nice price cuts. I grabbed the ASUS ROG STRIX that has a higher boost clock than the FE cards, which should put it within 2-3% of the super, at a $100 discount.

If the 2080 Super was a big of an improvement as the 2070 -> 2070 super was, I'd probably have gone with a 2080 super variant as well. Alas....

Reactions: Mylex
like this
I agree with what Dan_D said regarding needing a minimum of 2080 Ti + fast CPU at 4k. However, if anyone is a serious gamer (e.g. plays games 2-3 hrs a day), I would suggest not going above 1080p for at least another 3-4 years unless you are rich and can afford top of the line CPU/GPU upgrades each time they're released. New generation consoles are coming which will raise the bar on graphics even more which will put 4K out of reach once again for many people, including 2080 Ti owners so its a constant game of upgrade you're playing just to maintain decent framerates. At 1080p, you don't need to keep tossing money at a blackhole and can use that extra $500+ you save on other meaningful upgrades to your PC or other hobbies and you will get the same or better FPS than the schmuck who has a $5000+ PC at 4K.

I still hate 1080P. I think it's safe to go to 2560x1440 or even 3440x1440 as long as you upgrade your GPU often to the higher end parts.

Wouldn't you have to upgrade the motherboard and RAM for this too?

Right now there is absolutely no sense in buying Intel purely for gaming when Ryzen 3x00 series costs a lot less (at least here in Europe) and performs pretty much the same as the top dogs from Intel especially at 1440p and above. Purely for gaming I'd just buy a MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, Ryzen 3600 or 3700x and 2x8 GB of DDR4.

I understand what 5150Joker is saying and it has some validity. At 1080P most people can maintain a budget and really achieve some nice builds and performance levels. However, I really agree with Dan_D about IQ of various 1440p implementations now. A nicely OC'd 2080S should perform admirably for that. My recommendation is get the 2080S and bide your time before upgrading anything else. MavericK , your rig with one of those ought to rock 1440p with a 2080S especially if the free-sync is supported. If you see some CPU bottleneck then limit the frames and start planning and saving for that next mobo/cpu upgrade knowing that you already have the right GPU on hand. If you go that route then I'd recommend something AMD. Don't stress the PCIe 4.0 stuff and look for some of those amazing Ryzen 2 deals that have been around lately before all the stock is gone.

edit: Just wanted to say if you intend to stick with 1440p then the 8GB vram os the 2080S is perfect. Just realize that if you ever plan to move to 4k it will limit you. I once had 2 1080's in SLI for 4k and I often saw them maxed. If you do plan to move to 4k then that will need major $$$ to basically do a whole new build.

edit 2: 2700x on sale for $254. Just sayin' in case you're really wanting to do a new upgrade/build.

Last edited:

Your best bet would be to open your eyes and realize AMD is the company that is going places while Intel stagnates. Buy a 3900X and wait 4 months until big Navi comes out and decimates Nvidia's high end. You won't be kicking yourself in the ass ffor making a big mistake. I would recommend an MSI X570 MEG Ace motherboard. It is great motherboard for $370 from Micro Center plus substantial discounts when you buy together with Ryzen cpu.

Yeah, I'm going to wait. $370 is way too much for a motherboard, though. But I will check out AMD's offering when I go to buy. I didn't see a lot of reason to go AMD with the price of the motherboards currently.

Back