2080 Ti strange behavior (Windows 10 UI slowdown. Crashes.)

Mannymal

Limp Gawd
EVGA 2080 Ti Black on a Hybrid Cooler, OEM BIOS
LG C9 G-Sync compatible TV
8700k @ 4.7
Windows 10 Pro

Strange issue. I was traveling for work and when I came back home I updated my rig to the latest version of Windows and the latest NVIDIA drivers. Suddenly the OS slowed to a crawl and became unusable. I booted into Safe Mode and used DDU to get rid of the drivers, and rolled back told ones. But the problem persisted. I finally did a clean reinstall of Windows 10, and I am running the latest NVIDIA drivers. Windows slowed down again for about a minute then it was normal.

Games run perfectly fine, fast and stable for hours. Temperatures are fine.

But now if I open MSI Afterburner any make any change at all, like changing fan speed, the computer will crash.

Has anyone experienced any of these issues? I'd like to overclock my video card again but cannot use Afterburner.

I dont think it's related to your GPU, But rather a windows issue. Do some research on the latest windows update and it's issues.

Sounds like a system memory issue, not a GPU issue. I'd run MemTest86+ on each individual memory module to see if one of them is bad.

Strangely, it turned out to be a rare hardware problem with the GPU and EVGA authorized an RMA. Its an uncommon defect with reference design 2080 Ti cards. Gamers Nexus did a video about it. Basically there is either a short or some sort of problem that makes the card go into panic mode and i will not accept any commands from software like Afterburner (causing driver crashes when you try), and also it will not boost past 1350 Mhz. The only reason I thought games ran so well is because I have been playing Doom Eternal and that is so well optimized.

Honestly, a GPU hardware problem is the last thing I expected but here we are waiting for EVGA's replacement card. I'm glad I found what the culprit was before starting to swap out other hardware.

Strangely, it turned out to be a rare hardware problem with the GPU and EVGA authorized an RMA. Its an uncommon defect with reference design 2080 Ti cards. Gamers Nexus did a video about it. Basically there is either a short or some sort of problem that makes the card go into panic mode and i will not accept any commands from software like Afterburner (causing driver crashes when you try), and also it will not boost past 1350 Mhz. The only reason I thought games ran so well is because I have been playing Doom Eternal and that is so well optimized.

Honestly, a GPU hardware problem is the last thing I expected but here we are waiting for EVGA's replacement card. I'm glad I found what the culprit was before starting to swap out other hardware.

Very rare for sure, I've never seen that before but it's good to know. Glad you are getting it sorted.

But driver crash doesnt mean always faulty hardware :) ?

Who said driver crashes always mean faulty hardware?

It was faulty hardware. EVGA replaced the card. The new card is working perfectly.

Reactions: noko
like this
EVGA 2080 Ti Black on a Hybrid Cooler, OEM BIOS
LG C9 G-Sync compatible TV
8700k @ 4.7
Windows 10 Pro

Strange issue. I was traveling for work and when I came back home I updated my rig to the latest version of Windows and the latest NVIDIA drivers. Suddenly the OS slowed to a crawl and became unusable. I booted into Safe Mode and used DDU to get rid of the drivers, and rolled back told ones. But the problem persisted. I finally did a clean reinstall of Windows 10, and I am running the latest NVIDIA drivers. Windows slowed down again for about a minute then it was normal.

Games run perfectly fine, fast and stable for hours. Temperatures are fine.

But now if I open MSI Afterburner any make any change at all, like changing fan speed, the computer will crash.

Has anyone experienced any of these issues? I'd like to overclock my video card again but cannot use Afterburner.

Your vid card, soon:

tenor.gif

Dang. This sounds really similar to what I'm experiencing with my 2080. It's also a reference board. Do you have a link to the Gamers Nexus video?

Dang. This sounds really similar to what I'm experiencing with my 2080. It's also a reference board. Do you have a link to the Gamers Nexus video?

Make sure you do a clean install of the NVIDIA drivers or even a clean Windows reinstall before you jump into conclusions and call EVGA, but here's the video:

Reactions: Epos7
like this
Make sure you do a clean install of the NVIDIA drivers or even a clean Windows reinstall before you jump into conclusions and call EVGA, but here's the video:
Thanks. I've done a few clean driver installs, removing with DDU. Also tried reflashing the card firmware. I'm going to try a fresh Windows install over the weekend.

Out of curiosity, if you go into the event log, do you see anything for nvlddmkm? Event ID 14.

Update your BIOS to the latest too. Always a good idea when doing a fresh Windows install.

I remember i had system crash on perfectly stable system,after left running Metro Exodus for about 14 hours in game. :) After exiting to main menu it crashed system and rebooted.:) But it was on my previous build. Despite that no issues had.

Out of curiosity, if you go into the event log, do you see anything for nvlddmkm? Event ID 14.

Yeah if you made any changes on Precision it would crash the driver and you could find that logged into the event viewer.

Update your BIOS to the latest too. Always a good idea when doing a fresh Windows install.

There was no new BIOS but I did re-flash the stock one for good measure after reinstalling Windows. Trust me I tried everything, and EVGA support was kept in the loop and they agreed a replacement was the only option left.

The EVGA replacement worked perfectly right out of the box.

Yeah if you made any changes on Precision it would crash the driver and you could find that logged into the event viewer.

There was no new BIOS but I did re-flash the stock one for good measure after reinstalling Windows. Trust me I tried everything, and EVGA support was kept in the loop and they agreed a replacement was the only option left.

The EVGA replacement worked perfectly right out of the box.

I get this same phenomenon on a GTX 1080 with MSI Afterburner.

Except it seems completely random and only ever happens when I'm watching videos. Literally never during a game.

Between this "rare" instance (so rare enough Gamers Nexus did a video on it) and some cards dying from faulty Micron memory (seemed like they reportedly died much more than the Samsung memory models) I'm glad I didn't go with a 2080 Ti. 5700 was a $270 placeholder until Ampere and RDNA 2 come out and I'll be going all out on whatever has the best performance. Hope QC improves at Nvidia and maybe AMD will be able to make some passable launch drivers next time around.

Between this "rare" instance (so rare enough Gamers Nexus did a video on it) and some cards dying from faulty Micron memory (seemed like they reportedly died much more than the Samsung memory models) I'm glad I didn't go with a 2080 Ti. 5700 was a $270 placeholder until Ampere and RDNA 2 come out and I'll be going all out on whatever has the best performance. Hope QC improves at Nvidia and maybe AMD will be able to make some passable launch drivers next time around.

If you hear Steve Burke's explanation on the Gamers Nexus, he made the video precisely because of how unusual and rare the issue is. Rare enough that if he hadn't made it, I would have never realized what was wrong with the card because very very few people had the problem. The Micron thing was a problem on early release and even then it was a few %. Your 5700 is a great card but there is no data suggesting it is any more reliable than a 2080 Ti, you don't need to justify your purchase with incorrect assumptions. This is not a zero-sum game where in order for a product to be good then the other options have to be bad. This is the logical fallacy behind basic fanboyism. In reality, both NVIDIA and AMD offerings are great products.

It is rare, you didn't get a 2080 ti because it's probably priced out of your reach so you're salty. I get it, no need to make half assed excuses and explanations.

PS my condolences that you got stuck with Navi, a gpu slower than 1080 ti from 2016.

It is rare, you didn't get a 2080 ti because it's probably priced out of your reach so you're salty. I get it, no need to make half assed excuses and explanations.

PS my condolences that you got stuck with Navi, a gpu slower than 1080 ti from 2016.

Sick burn. You totally figured me out. I made up the story about it being a placeholder and took out a second mortgage to buy my 3950x and 5700 was all I could afford otherwise :(

Thanks for your condolences, I really appreciate it.

Sick burn. You totally figured me out. I made up the story about it being a placeholder and took out a second mortgage to buy my 3950x and 5700 was all I could afford otherwise :(

Thanks for your condolences, I really appreciate it.

I wouldn't expect any home runs from AMD on the GPU front.

Back