2080 Ti for $1000 confirmed, HDMI 2.1/VRR confirmed dead for another year

Yes it's all speculation at this point.

But given specs alone, you can normally (but of course, not always) spot the reason why next generation's card should/should not be significantly faster than previous gen's.

This is purely speculation on my part:
Maxwell to Maxwell2 -- 780 vs 980 was more of minor improvement and a big 20-30% clock speed increase, hence the ~20% improvement
Maxwell2 to Pascal -- 980 vs 1080 had a large improvement probably because it was a combination of more CUDA cores and vastly higher clock speeds.
Pascal to Turing (2070 vs 2070, 2080 vs 2080)-- seems like a wash in terms of CUDA cores and clock speeds. Not expecting a very large jump unless the architecture itself is vastly superior to Pascal's. The 2080 Ti seems to bring a lot to the table though, except I'm not willing to pay for it given the games I play.

Just one point on your post. The performance jump from Maxwell to Pascal was down to the major die shrink. Remember they went from 28nm to 16nm, skipping 20nm. Now I know 20nm to 16nm isn't a real node shrink and neither is 16nm to 12nm. So I am not sure there will be any performance increase from the change to 12nm, maybe a little power saving. Like you, I am not expecting a large jump in performance apart from games that use the Ray Tracing and AI stuff.

So worst case scenario for the pessimists:

2080 Ti is 10-20% faster than 1080 Ti in regular games, and struggles to hit 60 fps at 1920x1080 with Ultra on ray shading enabled games
2080 is outright slower than 1080 Ti yet costs more, ray tracing enabled games can only be used with lowered settings
2070 is roughly equal to the 1080 yet costs more, ray tracing enabled games are nearly useless

And as I understand it the most extreme position among optimists is that 2080 Ti is 2x as fast at 1080 Ti in regular games.

Why do you say mining is deqd for gpus? Serious question, i dont know why havnt heard the news, why the sudden obsolescence ?

Not entirely sure, but I think they figured out how to make ASICs that work with the new cryptocurrencies, and also the block chain fad in general seems to be wearing off with BTC and ETH stuck much lower than their record highs, though they seem to have hit a pretty stable bottom... for now. Just checking the Nicehash calculator, at $0.15/kwh, a 1080 Ti only makes about $10/month currently, but the Titan V still makes about $45 because the tensor cores are amazing for mining. And the 2080 Ti will have ~100 more tensor cores than the Titan V it seems + the RT cores which may also perform well. Of course markets and GPU profitability are highly volatile, so you never know what's going to happen... this why having the card at launch is advantageous as you maximize the amount of value you get out of it for gaming and potentially for mining in case another bubble happens -- I remember for a period of time last spring a 1080 Ti was making like $12/day. This is all in the context of defraying some of the cost of the card, so it ends up costing less overall and by the time you sell it next year when the 7nm cards come out, you may break even and essentially get a free/very cheap lease. But don't buy the card strictly for mining under any circumstance, that would be insane right now.

And again, given all the unknowns, I'm starting to lean toward it not being worth it at all... I have until Sept 20 to decide whether to cancel my order. Will depend on benchmarks and reviews that come out before then and potential changes in GPU mining profitability.

Edit: Correction, it turns out tensor cores are actually not utilized for mining, the Titan V just has a boatload of CUDA cores. So this card will not perform as well, unless someone figures out how to leverage the tensor and RT cores.

Last edited:
Not entirely sure, but I think they figured out how to make ASICs that work with the new cryptocurrencies, and also the block chain fad in general seems to be wearing off with BTC and ETH stuck much lower than their record highs, though they seem to have hit a pretty stable bottom... for now. Just checking the Nicehash calculator, at $0.15/kwh, a 1080 Ti only makes about $10/month currently, but the Titan V still makes about $45 because the tensor cores are amazing for mining. And the 2080 Ti will have ~100 more tensor cores than the Titan V it seems + the RT cores which may also perform well. Of course markets and GPU profitability are highly volatile, so you never know what's going to happen... this why having the card at launch is advantageous as you maximize the amount of value you get out of it for gaming and potentially for mining in case another bubble happens -- I remember for a period of time last spring a 1080 Ti was making like $12/day. This is all in the context of defraying some of the cost of the card, so it ends up costing less overall and by the time you sell it next year when the 7nm cards come out, you may break even and essentially get a free/very cheap lease. But don't buy the card strictly for mining under any circumstance, that would be insane right now.

And again, given all the unknowns, I'm really starting to lean toward it not being worth it at all... I have until Sept 20 to decide whether to cancel my order. Will depend on benchmarks and reviews that come out before then and potential changes in GPU mining profitability.

That's bad news for gamers if true. The miners should be buying these up if they make more money than a Titan V.

I am going to take a stab that Nvidia is going to screw over the AIBs big time this go around. I am thinking fixed clocks like the 1070ti at base speeds to give an edge on FE cards. No binning whatsoever of the GPUs either.

This is a bit random, but I don't get these 2.75 slot cards. If you're gonna make it 3 slot, make it 3 slot. It's not like I can use the 0.25 slot. And they should all have 3 actual PCIe brackets to help keep those massive cards from sagging.

I think the point to to ensure a gap for air flow, in the event there's another card below. Maybe I'm wrong though.

index.png

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-releases-performance-metrics-and-some-info-on-dlss.html

pretty much every person in this thread that spoke negative towards Nvidia just got curb stumped.

WTF are you talking about? At best you're looking at 1.5 times better and then some mystery dlss which we really don't know much about nor how it actually looks. Especially when a 1080 costs $430 and the 2080 costs 800 dollars.

Actually, from the way DLSS was explained in the presentation, it sounds like the greatest benchmark cheating technology ever invented. "Deep learning" the exact sequence of frames in a predetermined benchmark, heh heh.

Looks to me like 50%-ish faster for double the price. As resolutions lower I want to see the numbers... I am 1440p high refresh and I need to see some huge gains before I even consider cracking open my tight wad wallet.

You know that's the 1080 and not the Ti? Without DLSS it's about 10-20% faster than the 1080 Ti.
It's a good card but the price is goddamn ridiculous.

LOL I am waiting this shit out. 7nm is around the corner. Those who don't know why Nvidia released 2080ti at the same time as 2080 are going to realize how short of a lifecycle it had. I bet something is coming next year with 7nm. Or they would never have released a 2080ti now! May be they are expecting some competition from AMD, who knows, it may simply be. Like I said whoever wants to buy I am sure its a great card, to me they are just funding my 7nm card. LOL!

Plus I am moving so perfect time to ignore this round. I will be busy doing other shit for 6 months anyways. Haha.

Last edited:
Looks to me like 50%-ish faster for double the price. As resolutions lower I want to see the numbers... I am 1440p high refresh and I need to see some huge gains before I even consider cracking open my tight wad wallet.
you know that's going to be more CPU Limited...

The 1080 -> 2080 (NON Tis) numbers look basically spot on for a 40% increase in memory bandwidth with not much else.

DLSS....is it basically checkerboard rendering with less of the signature artifacting? Because if you can do the math for checkerboard rendering on Tensor cores efficiently, I'm going to say that's what it is.

LOL I am waiting this shit out. 7nm is around the corner. Those who don't know why Nvidia released 2080ti at the same time as 2080 are going to realize how short of a lifecycle it had. I bet something is coming next year with 7nm. Or they would never have released a 2080ti now! May be they are expecting some competition from AMD, who knows, it may simply be. Like I said whoever wants to buy I am sure its a great card, to me they are just funding my 7nm card. LOL!

Plus I am moving so perfect time to ignore this round. I will be busy doing other shit for 6 months anyways. Haha.

You're welcome. I'll enjoy the 2080 Ti and then jump into 7nm with you.

You're welcome. I'll enjoy the 2080 Ti and then jump into 7nm with you.

I would think more about it if it was available. I don't mind renting a card for a couple hundred bucks for a year but it's not available anymore. The 2080 is readily available for pre-order but I don't think it's as big a jump over my 1080 ti as I would like.

I would think more about it if it was available. I don't mind renting a card for a couple hundred bucks for a year but it's not available anymore. The 2080 is readily available for pre-order but I don't think it's as big a jump over my 1080 ti as I would like.

That's how I do it. I consider it rental. Sell before next gen comes out...rinse and repeat.

That's how I do it. I consider it rental. Sell before next gen comes out...rinse and repeat.

Exactly. Enjoy the 2080 Ti now, get the 7nm later. Not sure I see the issue here.

Well, what if the prices are so high only because Nvidia are trying to sell off their stock of Pascal cards? And when the Pascal cards are gone, the prices of the Turing cards will drop to more normal prices.

You are also presuming that the 7nm parts will be at least as expensive as the 2xxx cards. Which might not be the case at all. Especially if the rumours are true and AMD get their 7nm card out first.

It's also a problem with buying the first generation of any new hardware. The second generation is normally cheaper and better.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that Nvidia even released the cards at all. They could have continued to dwindle their 10XX stock until the holidays and then done a non-paper launch in the Nov/Dec time frame.

I'm surprised that Nvidia even released the cards at all. They could have continued to dwindle their 10XX stock until the holidays and then done a non-paper launch in the Nov/Dec time frame.
I was surprised that the Ti was announced at the same time - I was sure they would stall that with a potential Titan RTX. Steve (@ Hardware Unboxed) theorized that the 2080's aren't a traditional release and that there is no time to slow play the Ti.

Sounds like a decent theory.

Which means maybe the next Titan (Titan RTX maybe?) might be part of the next gen. It'll be crazy expensive.

I was surprised that the Ti was announced at the same time - I was sure they would stall that with a potential Titan RTX. Steve (@ Hardware Unboxed) theorized that the 2080's aren't a traditional release and that there is no time to slow play the Ti.

Sounds like a decent theory.

Which means maybe the next Titan (Titan RTX maybe?) might be part of the next gen. It'll be crazy expensive.

Yeah a RTX Titan can't be much larger. Maybe 7%. With the Titan V it looks like they are going back to the prosumer market with Titans. The even removed GTX from infront of it.

Well, what if the prices are so high only because Nvidia are trying to sell off their stock of Pascal cards? And when the Pascal cards are gone, the prices of the Turing cards will drop to more normal prices.

You are also presuming that the 7nm parts will be at least as expensive as the 2xxx cards. Which might not be the case at all. Especially if the rumours are true and AMD get their 7nm card out first.

It's also a problem with buying the first generation of any new hardware. The second generation is normally cheaper and better.

If they drop, they drop. I want a card better than my 1080 Ti and I'm going to get one.

It's just a hobby and I budget for it all the time. This purchase is my first major purchase this year for gaming equipment. I'm good. I spend far more on my shooting/guns habit every year.

I'll jump on the 7nm bandwagon next year if it gives me better performance. No biggie.

I don't buy that slide. For once, it comes from Nvidia, so you know it's best case scenario (e.g. heavy use of RT). I'm waiting for 3rd party leaks. The CUDA and Tensor cores are the exact same ones found in the Titan V, there is no architectural/IPS improvement here. So the numbers don't quite make sense.

Also, even if it's true, you're seeing 30-40% improvement in most titles (not counting DLSS), which is still underwhelming. The 1080 was ~70% faster than the 980.

Last edited:
What gets me is they could have showed the 2080/70 and sometime later pulled a rabbit out with the much better ti (than it is currently). Assuming the ti releases with 20-25% over a 1080ti then it was a silly move.

What gets me is they could have showed the 2080/70 and sometime later pulled a rabbit out with the much better ti (than it is currently). Assuming the ti releases with 20-25% over a 1080ti then it was a silly move.

I read an interesting post that speculated perhaps 7nm is closer than farther, so they wanted to get everything out the door now. Who knows!! I'm sort of expecting the move to 7nm to be more of a refresh and reduce power more than increase performance.

I read an interesting post that speculated perhaps 7nm is closer than farther, so they wanted to get everything out the door now. Who knows!! I'm sort of expecting the move to 7nm to be more of a refresh and reduce power more than increase performance.

I will wait for 7nm cards. I still have several other upgrades that I need to do anyway that hold better value since I am barely gaming these days anyway since I have a lot of work to do. For my in between fix I will do some case modding that I left in the middle.

Next gen will be a more substantial upgrade over my 1080Ti and software support will be better.

Back