2080 Ti Fan Issue?

undertaker2k8

[H]ard|Gawd
Have a weird issue with my 2080 Ti Zotac Triple Fan: all of a sudden the last fan next to the port bracket started running at 100%. Disassembled and tested all fans: turns out the fans work fine when connected directly to the headers on the card. Now the issue is that fans 2 and 3 using a pwm splitter with only one card connected to the 4 pin PWM control and the other one using a 3 pin connector, when any fan is connected to the 3 pin connector it is always at a 100%.

Each fan works correctly when connected to either header (2 total). Does it make sense that the pwm fan splitter would stop working suddently? I mean it's a wire and appears to be in great shape, no pull or stress. For now, I have just connected two fans since they are more than sufficient to cool the card and I have side intake fans.

Thinking of getting a replacement mini 4 pin splitter (not sure if that will solve it since the splitter seems fine physically) or a Mini GPU to Mobo 4 pin adapter to run the last card eventually or a whole new replacement fan bracket from ebay (cut the LED wire to avoid disassembly of the whole heatsink and it was stuck on Blue anyways like many 2080 Ti leds ): ). Thoughts or experiences ?

Tried the obvious like clean driver installs etc.

Luckily the card itself is running fine under load with the two fans (third is probably overkill esp in my Antec 1100 case with side fans anyways). Thanks for any inputs.

I bought it refurb so no direct warranty from Zotac but can do the CC route if needed.

Last edited:
Is the Y-splitter you talked about a part of the card that comes with it from the factory, or something you rigged up later?

The fans are supposed to run at 100% if the PWM signal is not present, so if they work properly when plugged in directly, then the first thing you should suspect is that the PWM wire in the Y splitter is broken. Typically, that's the blue wire. What I would do is check for continuity between each end of the blue wire in the splitter. Something tells me that it's broken near the end that plugs into the card.

If you find that the wire is broken, then you need to repair or replace the splitter.

Comes from the factory, yea will probably order and replace it eventually. Only like 5-8 bucks, card runs cool with 2 fans anyways so not super worried. Just odd a wire would break like that standing still and looks fine to the eye. One more note:if I connect two fans to the splitter, the 4 pin PWM connected one stops running completely and the 3 pin connected one runs at a 100%, and diagnostic tools show the fan speed at the header being 0. With just one fan connected to the 4 pin PWM and the last one on the 3 pin/splitter disconnected, fan 2 works fine with PWM control just like fan 1.

Last edited:
Got a replacement for fans 2 and 3 and the pwm wire from aliexpress.com in 2 weeks and everything is back to normal.
(y)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mylex
like this
Back